Soundgarden - Down On the Upside

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Same people that dismissed Superunknown in the 90s are the ones
    dismissing Laffy Taffy today.

I'd like to know what qualities you people are seeing laffy taffy that makes you claim a song where a guy refers to his dick as a chico constitues genius. I'm being serious here too.

as far as soundgarden goes it falls under the same banner as Pearl Jam and all other early 90's relevant "butt rock" of the time. Grateful dead and Hot Tuna for a new generation

but hey different strokes for different folks

Pearl Jam is more along the lines of lack-of-butt rock.

And Soundgarden is more along the lines of math-rock.

So Rush for a new generation would be a better fit.

And yes, I hear Birdman cringing.

nah buttrock is clearly defined as jukebox in a bar at 3pm music. Soundgarden most definitly fits.Rush is more like a chess game circa 1978 between two guys getting ready for the big Dungeons and Dragons meet-up later tonight.

I idnetify more with the latter.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

!!!!

what grade math we talking?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If Soundgarden is butt-rock, than it's good butt-rock.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this gurgley-emo doc martin/flannel comeback will surely be followed by non-ironic wearing of those retarded puffy hats that people who like(d) KLF used to wear.

please to not combine the emo Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie crowd with the flannel filth soundgarden, Alice in Chains crowd. My taste and hygene are both offended

I thought you were from LA. The flannel squad was more like the Circle Jerks/The Cramps/TSOL crowd...the ones hanging out at Smoker's Field at Edison High School circa 1985.

Also so the Replacements circa 1981.

Flannels in the 90's were bought at Merry Go Round, rather than found in attics.

you see thats LA circa mid 80's to ealy 90's. Waaaaay before my time. theres about 10 years difference between you and I.

I also didn't even give rock music a chance until I was about 16 and heard Blur, Oasis, Stone Roses, London Suede, etc.

I was too sensitive to understand people with facial hair

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

!!!!

Whatever grade covers fractions ala complicated time signatures.

• nah buttrock is clearly defined as jukebox in a bar at 3pm music. Soundgarden most definitly fits. Rush is more like a chess game circa 1978 between two guys getting ready for the bif Dungeons and Dragons meet-up later tonight.

I idnetify more with the latter.

Haha. Funny stuff, and for the record I'll listen to Rush about twice a year.

But yo, Soundgarden = math rock? I dunno 'bout that.

Now *that's* math rock.

• And Soundgarden is more along the lines of math-rock.

!!!!

I have to assert that Harvey is right.

You wouldn't know it from casual listening, but if you try to
    learn one of those Soundgarden songs you will suddenly be confronted
    with odd-measure wizardry that is difficult to successfully replicate.
    Serious.

• this gurgley-emo doc martin/flannel comeback will surely be followed by non-ironic wearing of those retarded puffy hats that people who like(d) KLF used to wear.

please to not combine the emo Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie crowd with the flannel filth soundgarden, Alice in Chains crowd. My taste and hygene are both offended

I thought you were from LA. The flannel squad was more like PROJECT BLIZ-NI-IZOE'D........FOOL

!!!!

Whatever grade covers fractions ala complicated time signatures.

i think we have different definitions of complicated time signatures. riffs, power chords and noodling is what i'm hearing from soundgarden.

the sound of a hundred calculators being punched into and abacus beads flying is what i hear from drive like jehu, circus lupus and nomeansno.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

!!!!

Serious.

MEMBERSHIP IN SOUNDGARDEN COVER BANDS REVEALED!

!!!!

Serious.

interesting notion...casual listener = not trying to learn it?

odd-measure wizardry or not, i do not consider soundgarden math rock.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Thank you for the most entertaining thraed of the day.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Thank you for the most entertaining thraed of the day.

so true

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

!!!!

Serious.

interesting notion...casual listener = not trying to learn it?

odd-measure wizardry or not, i do not consider soundgarden math rock.

I don't, either*, but if we're gonna talk about math rock, then I'm in favor of that. Sweep the Leg Johnny, anyone? June of 44?

*Then again, I never really paid much attention to Soundgarden, so maybe they did do math rock only with the added chest hair of loudness.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    June of 44?

much better example. clear consise and no one could of been fooled by the

chest hair of loudness.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Being from Seattle and having gone to tons of shows in the 90's, Nirvana, Mudhoney anl loads of other groups were WAY better than Soundgarden. I associate Soundgarden with other crappy bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Mother Love Bone, Bush, Creed and other radio rock from that time frame. God I'm glad that stuff is over, it all seems so terribly dated years later.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    http://www.last.fm/music/Johnny+Cash/_/Rusty+Cage

Johnny Cash doin' Rusty Cage

soundgarden: worst album art ever

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Again with the Alice in Chains hate? You don't listen to much metal nowadays, do you?

And you guys are abusing the hell out of the "butt rock" label -- Soundgarden and Pearl Jam not belonging to that genre.

None of you seem to know what math rock is, either. Did y'all look up that genre on allmusic.com because your efforts to name-drop obscure bands left out the totally obvious. But if we're gonna posture then let's posture.

US Maple
    Turing Machine

• None of you seem to know what math rock is, either. Did y'all look up that genre on allmusic.com because your efforts to name-drop obscure bands left out the totally obvious. But if we're gonna posture then let's posture.

US Maple
    Turing Machine

You don't consider Don Caballero math rock? I never got around to checking out US Maple...never heard of Turing Machine.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Sorry, I exaggerated. But really, why anyone would listen to math rock for pleasure is beyond me... Future residents at waxidermy.com, if anything.

• why anyone would listen to math rock for pleasure is beyond me

the same forces that cause a man to roll a dice w/ anything other than six sides, i'd imagine. (hides)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Funny. I was listening to Spiderland last week thinking about how stupid terms like math rock are. It's just a good rock record.

Math Rock is a relation to post-rock, a better known indie-rock style that shares similar aesthetics. Where post-rock has distinct jazz influences, math rock is the opposite side of the same coin ??? it's dense and complex, filled with difficult time signatures and intertwining phrases. Also, the style is a little more rockist than post-rock, since it's usually played by small, guitar-led bands. Math rock peaked in the mid-'90s, when groups like Polvo and Chavez had small, dedicated followings among indie rockers on collegiate campuses.
    AMG

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Same people that dismissed Superunknown in the 90s are the ones
    dismissing Laffy Taffy today.

I'd like to know what qualities you people are seeing laffy taffy that makes you claim a song where a guy refers to his dick as a chico constitues genius. I'm being serious here too.

as far as soundgarden goes it falls under the same banner as Pearl Jam and all other early 90's relevant "butt rock" of the time. Grateful dead and Hot Tuna for a new generation

but hey different strokes for different folks

Pearl Jam is more along the lines of lack-of-butt rock.

So Rush for a new generation would be a better fit.

And yes, I hear Birdman cringing.

No, I think you nailed it. Rush = Soundgarden is pretty spot on. I can stand about one song from each group and they each have had zero impact on the greater landscape of my life, musical or otherwise.

If you love these bands, more for you to enjoy. I will not be competing with you for raer Rush vinyl or Soundgarden Japanese import CDs.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    holy crap... man i tried to get into sound garden circa ultramega ok (worst title of all time?) ... that record sucked.. then i followed it up with doses of Louder Than Love ...

dude there is a song on there called "get on the snake" it does not get ANY more butt rock than that... by bad motor finger they were opening for skid row...

soundgarden are as butt as rock gets ...

• Sorry, I exaggerated. But really, why anyone would listen to math rock for pleasure is beyond me... Future residents at waxidermy.com, if anything.

Pure listening pleasure!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    to compare sound garden to rush is flat out insulting...

that's like saying Tortoise are as good as Can

• Sorry, I exaggerated. But really, why anyone would listen to math rock for pleasure is beyond me... Future residents at waxidermy.com, if anything.

Pure listening pleasure!

Nice one. Total math rock.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    to compare sound garden to rush is flat out insulting...

that's like saying Tortoise are as good as Can

No, CAN were a good band. Rush has always sucked serious ass.

How dare you!