Soundgarden - Down On the Upside

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    How dare you!

Ugly too!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    to compare sound garden to rush is flat out insulting...

that's like saying Tortoise are as good as Can

No, CAN were a good band. Rush has always sucked serious ass.

look whetehr you like rush or not i think you can at least respect these dudes for doing there own thing for 30+ years.. they're probably the most unsung / unrespected MAJOR rock act of all time.. i mean these dudes have only ever had one top 20 song and they can still sell out arenas all over the world.

they are a rare rare breed and to me that deserves RESPECT.

obviously they arent to everyone' liking.. hell if i had to hear roll the bones right now i would turn that shit off.. but for pete's sake Moving Pictures is probably one of the LAST great classic rock records ever made.

to me Rush are like King Crimson.. a band that has morphed and adapted over a long long career.. and while i certainly dont dig everything they've done.. hell alot of things they've done have been out right LAUGHABLE.. i mean for fucks sake they have a dude on chapman stick !!!! But at the same time Fripp is a dude who you just have to respect and give props to. Whether you dig it or not you cannot argue with the dudes musical vision.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    But at the same time Cornell is a dude who you just have to respect and give props to. Whether you dig it or not you cannot argue with the dudes musical vision.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's just a good rock record.

it sure is.

Rush rules. Kimonos, middle parts, videos shot in Scarborough, drum set-ups larger than a house, starting fights in Florida hotels with your son at your side....all of it!

• Rush rules.

Pretty much.

Until "Hold Your Fire"

But at the same time Cornell is a dude who you just have to respect and give props to. Whether you dig it or not you cannot argue with the dudes musical vision.

the dude was in soundgarden, temple of the dog and now AUDIO SLAVE

what part of SHIT don't you understand???

three strikes dude is OUT in my books

Rush rules.

Pretty much.

Until "Hold Your Fire"

I would say until Grace Under Pressure...what's good after that that I should check out?

Or are you joking?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I stopped liking Soundgarden when he cut his hair.

It was all about that luscious black curly hair for me.

dude had luscious locks .. i will give him that.

the dude was in soundgarden, temple of the dog and now AUDIO SLAVE

what part of SHIT don't you understand???

three strikes dude is OUT in my books

I'm just not getting what's NOT to like about Soundgarden.

I ain't a pretentious it's-gotta-be-uber-raer dude, so coming up on the Black Sabbath's, Rush's, Van Halen's, ACDC's, Judas Priest's, Motley Crue's, Metallica's, even King Crimson's of the rock world...Soundgarden hits the nail on the head for me to the point that I probably like them better than all of those groups save Sabbath.

Motley Crue is a joke.

King Crimson is way out of place on that list.

I don't hate Soundgarden, but nothing they made can touch anything by

Van Halen DLR era
    ACDC up to Back in Black
    Judas Priest up to Screaming for Vengance
    Metallica up to Ride the Lightning
    Rush most of it up to Moving Pictures

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Can I get a Rushstrumentals plaese?

Seriously, best Rush song to listen to while playing Risk (or any dice-based board game):

ROLL THE BONES

Why does it happen
    because it happens
    roooooooooooll the bones!!

There's even a little rap in thurr.

• Rush rules.

Pretty much.

Until "Hold Your Fire"

I would say until Grace Under Pressure...what's good after that that I should check out?

Or are you joking?

Naw, I wasn't joking. My Rush tapes stop at Presto, but I didn't really care for Hold Your Fire or Presto.

I think the only one after GUP and before HYF was Power Windows...which, yeah, it's probably shit but I used to rock it back in 9th grade, so.......

i will agree with you.. on paper soundgarden seem lke they would be alright

sabbathy riffs, odd time signatures, sludgey heaviousity, tight drummer, interesting guitarist

but for whatever reason it just doesnt work in practice... i can give kim thayil a bit of props, peavey amps and a weird guild geetar.. but the band just doesnt cut it... the bass players were always interchangeable and totally dispensable (always a bad sign if you ask me)... the drummer while really good is also kind of bland and never really CONNECTS like a real rock drummer ala bonham, bill ward, hell even tommy lee... he was kind of TOO good for the band and as a result never really gelled.. seemed like he was slumming it.. and would have been better suited to a band like the police.

the production on the records is universally atrocious... the early stuff is near unlistenable.. louder than love sounds flat and lifeless and then bad motor and upwards are just nasty sounding 90's RAWK records.. ear fatigue for days.

and then you have cornell.. a man who is just a super cheesey, ultra pretentious stereotypical frontman if ever there was one.

his lyrics / vocals / persona are really the nail in the coffin for me.

no puppets???

Motley Crue is a joke.

Nonetheless, Livewire is tight.

King Crimson is way out of place on that list.

Soundgarden was influenced greatly by mid-period King Crimson.

• Can I get a Rushstrumentals plaese?

Seriously, best Rush song to listen to while playing Risk (or any dice-based board game):

ROLL THE BONES

Why does it happen
    because it happens
    roooooooooooll the bones!!

There's even a little rap in thurr.

Rushtramentals??? LA VILLA STRANGIATO ALL UP IN THIS BATCH!!!!

Seriously though, when Geddy wanted to try his hand at, ahem, "rapping", I had to turn my back on them like Paulie did to Henry Hill in "Goodfellas"

LA VILLA STRANGIATO ALL UP IN THIS BATCH!!!!

Me lub dat song.

I found out about Soundgarden around 89 when they opened for Danzig. They put on a great show. Danzig was stupid, but funny. But Soundgarden were great. I went right out and bought Ultramega OK and then later got Louder Than Love and was dissappointed by both. I think Dubious hit the the nail on the head. The production is just terrible. Too bad. Sadly, as the production improved on later records they started to sound more and more like all those bland groups that people who work in guitar shops like.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yet another thread proving folks on Soulstrut should never, evar try to talk about rock music

Yet another thread proving folks on Soulstrut should never, evar try to talk about records

• Yet another thread proving folks on Soulstrut should never, evar try to talk about rock music

Pfft. Bring it. I'll talk about all yr favorite rock bands, homie.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    to compare sound garden to rush is flat out insulting...

that's like saying Tortoise are as good as Can

No, CAN were a good band. Rush has always sucked serious ass.

look whetehr you like rush or not i think you can at least respect these dudes for doing there own thing for 30+ years.. they're probably the most unsung / unrespected MAJOR rock act of all time.. i mean these dudes have only ever had one top 20 song and they can still sell out arenas all over the world.

they are a rare rare breed and to me that deserves RESPECT.

obviously they arent to everyone' liking.. hell if i had to hear roll the bones right now i would turn that shit off.. but for pete's sake Moving Pictures is probably one of the LAST great classic rock records ever made.

to me Rush are like King Crimson.. a band that has morphed and adapted over a long long career.. and while i certainly dont dig everything they've done.. hell alot of things they've done have been out right LAUGHABLE.. i mean for fucks sake they have a dude on chapman stick !!!! But at the same time Fripp is a dude who you just have to respect and give props to. Whether you dig it or not you cannot argue with the dudes musical vision.

I don't respect Rush as a band AT ALL. Sorry.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I dont know anything about rock but I like Pearl Jam. Well, I like the songs that I can sing along to. Same thing with Nirvana I suppose.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    What about the voice of Geddy Lee?

How did it get so high?

I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?

I know em and he does.....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

no puppets???

Sayin'!

• What about the voice of Geddy Lee?

How did it get so high?

I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?

I know em and he does.....

Man, someone should RECORD those words you wrote. Brilliant.

no puppets???

Sayin'!

my bad. had the years mixed up. I could even add and justice for all.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

no puppets???

Sayin'!

my bad. had the years mixed up. I could even add and justice for all.

Some people look at AJFA as the beginning of the end for Metallica, and I guess I can understand that, but to me, the musicality and scope of that album is unbelievable. And the drumming Lars did through the entire album is