Weekend Finds

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    that gaston my friend is a tough to find LP.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4039341510

yeah, nice find

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts

Beautiful label for beautiful music. One of the thickest vinyls I've ever seen too. Record is scratched to hell but still does its job.

• that gaston my friend is a tough to find LP.

yeah...a buddy of mine played that Gaston and it sho is one bad mama jama. Been trying to find it forever but it's rather hopeless on the west coast. Ive seen it anywhere from 150-300+ on ebay.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Aleit,

did you find these out in "the field" for cheap? or did you acquire them through other methods. If in the case of the former, WHERE IN THE HELL DO YOU LIVE?!

face-melted out in Cali,

Yuichi

p.s. If I had seen a cover like this for cheap, the first thing i would guess is that it is not heat:

btw, that line-up of records looks dope as fuck.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    some soundtracks just today:

gumnaam (shankar jakishan)--with the hot go-go track made famous in the opening credits of "ghost world"

qayamat (r.d. burman)

rocky (r.d. burman) 2 copies

hotel (usha khanna)--with a sweet instrumental that i think was comped on the most recent sitar beat

jawani diwani (r.d. burman)--nice surfy psych track on this one

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

so what kinda price range are we talkin on this Gaston- $100 type deal or like $400 type deal?

Also in that first picture is this Osiris LP on Tom Dog records which looks private too - any ideas?

thanks!!

That Osiris isn't too hard to find. The group is centered around a DC area artist, Osiris March. They played from the mid 70s til early 80s.

• JK and Co. was a pleasant find for $8, I must say.

[color:#666666] pleasant [/color] is a small ice tea offer and your page was on negotiating prices for the national guard fortress [color:#666666] overlooking humbolt park [/color]

"what's that? ok i'll buy it----yipweeeeeeeeeeeee!" said on mute while slipping on his invisible shades

[color:green] pop eyes live in sand castles [/color]

[color:pink] can you see that psych record cover melting the green? [/color]

[color:tan] ~easy rider makes a steal for home base and his eyes were beaming all the way home [/color]

I see you've dressed the tag from Mr.Batavia on your photo montage...
    how about a baklava to celebrate lucky prices and linotype styles?

[color:tan] helvetica on the rocks [/color]

maybe i can believe in two months of record lent [color:yellow] btw ebay doesn't count [/color]

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Just one: Johnny Adams - Southside of Soul Street (SSS Intl)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    went to double d in atown and traded in some bad 70s boogie rock records i got for next to nothing and got:
    factory records box dvd set
    def jef --- just a poet with soul lp

flea market/yard sale finds (50 cents - a dollar. 8.50 spent total)

john coltrane -- settin' the pace lp (og prestige)
    miles davis quintet -- steamin' with the... lp (og prestige)
    nas -- illmatic lp (og german pressing)
    dr. dre -- the chronic lp (og)
    kraftwerk -- radio activity lp (og german press)
    kraftwerk -- computer world lp (??? copy)
    kraftwerk -- trans europe express lp (??? copy)
    our daughter's wedding -- digital cowboy (??? copy -- these duplicates copies are to sell)
    ike & tina turner -- river deep ~ mountain high lp
    antonio carlos jobim -- the composer of desafinado, plays lp (verve)
    stan getz w/ laurindo almeida lp (verve)
    un homme et un femme soundtrack lp (francis lai --- original french pressing)
    new colony six -- attacking a straw man lp (this is not so good era ncs unfortunately)
    boston burglars -- s/t lp (private press 70s celtic rock band from long island, ny -- they do a cover of telstar, but its not very good)

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    JK and Co. was a pleasant find for $8, I must say.

[color:#666666] pleasant [/color] is a small ice tea offer and your page was on negotiating prices for the national guard fortress [color:#666666] overlooking humbolt park [/color]
    It is a good thing that the man didn't read me as well as that. I was carrying on as if he knew a little something about it, as if I knew that he knew that I knew I was going to have to pay for JK. Quite the contrary.

maybe i can believe in two months of record lent [color:yellow] btw ebay doesn't count [/color]
    This is the first deception tactic. Beware.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Frequency and Aleit hit big! sheesh!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    A good Sunday, despite operating on 1 hour of sleep and a massive sinus headache. Seen the African man

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Also...

And the following 12"s

Teena Marie - I Need Your Lovin' - Motown UK
    Don Armando's Second Avenue Rhumba Band - Deputy Of Love - TE
    Grandmaster Flash - Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash On The Wheels Of Steel - Sugar Hill

2 copies of the Tom Tom Club LP
    and one sleeveless Sound Experience - Don't Fight The Feeling on Soulville (plaese help!)

But the real gem of the whole day:

R.H.K.T.D.'z. Guzzo, you might need to come off that Hair & Thangs for this one...

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

R.H.K.T.D.'z. Guzzo, you might need to come off that Hair & Thangs for this one...

Those pirate shirts are

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

This song is real bad. But if you flip the record over, you get a disco version of the somewhat racist Irving Berlin song "I'm an Indian, Too" which is killer

Lemme know if that Atmosphere Strut is a double for you.

• Options
    Serious shit, Johnny. That BOngoes Lp has got 2 killer tunes on it. What's that Clover thing all about?

K.

Serious shit, Johnny. That BOngoes Lp has got 2 killer tunes on it. What's that Clover thing all about?

K.

I know... I would even venture that the rest of the LP is real solid too.

The Clover comp is

Lots of tough tunes on there. I'll PM a list of them...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    do i bother with PM's jonny?

you know it's coming.

• Options
    Hesitate and it's too late.

K.

• FrequencyFrequency 115 Posts

yeah...a buddy of mine played that Gaston and it sho is one bad mama jama. Been trying to find it forever but it's rather hopeless on the west coast. Ive seen it anywhere from 150-300+ on ebay.

Thanks for the info guys! Now i gotta figure out if i'm gonna sell this on Ebay or the NYC record show next week hmmmmm.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

K.

why, oh why, is it constant competition w/ you.

K.

why, oh why, is it constant competition w/ you.

The race is on!

Seriously though, I'm at least going to listen to and burn these before they move. I am trying to get extras though so keep fingers crossed.

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
    oh yeah also picked up an xtra atmosphere strut 12"

• roneazyroneazy 111 Posts

K.

That CLOVER comp is alright K... nothing TOO spectacular... his other LP's there greatly surpass it in terms of quality, that's for sure.. (I can get you one if u wanted, though)

nice finds Johnny.. seriously.. very impressed!

RON

his other LP's there greatly surpass it in terms of quality, that's for sure

Really? I listened to a couple other Clover records there and they weren't nearly as good to my ears... not comps though.

CLOVER is a label man.. i just meant in terms of your other african records, I would rate that comp. one of the weakest of the bunch, and even IT is still pretty good! actually there is one record i still have on hold with a guy on CLOVER.. can't even remember what it's called.. it's really killer afro-beat/soul hybrid sound.. anyways, nice finds dude.. rillly!.. if u ever wanna trade, lemme know.. though i have or can easily get most of those u have unfortunately .. nevertheless, always on the lookout!

With regards to that BONGOS, that IS definitely one the best (if not THE best) one.. seriously nice score.. hearing that one on a loud system is wild!

once again.. smooth work..

RON

CLOVER is a label man.. i just meant in terms of your other african records, I would rate that comp. one of the weakest of the bunch, and even IT is still pretty good! actually there is one record i still have on hold with a guy on CLOVER.. can't even remember what it's called.. it's really killer afro-beat/soul hybrid sound.. anyways, nice finds dude.. rillly!.. if u ever wanna trade, lemme know.. though i have or can easily get most of those u have unfortunately .. nevertheless, always on the lookout!

With regards to that BONGOS, that IS definitely one the best (if not THE best) one.. seriously nice score.. hearing that one on a loud system is wild!

RON

Thanks man, yeah I know it's a label - I was not clear in my post. I listened to some other groups on the same label, the one I seem to remember is Mansion. Yeah... not as good. Although I do like a lot of the cuts on here. The only thing I have a couple of is the Lijadu, but hopefully I can dig up another SJOB Orch. We'll just have to see.

125th Street Africans represent. You guys up in TO go serious with the African/Jamaican/Brazilian/etc stuff... "world music" haha. I'm not much of an African collector per se, I just went through the guy's stuff and took what sounded good to my ear. And trust me, it wasn't "a dime a dozen", this was a dealer who knows what's up.

Anyways, cheers!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

[/color]

RON

Thanks man, yeah I know it's a label - I was not clear in my post. I listened to some other groups on the same label, the one I seem to remember is Mansion. Yeah... not as good. Although I do like a lot of the cuts on here. The only thing I have a couple of is the Lijadu, but hopefully I can dig up another SJOB Orch. We'll just have to see.

125th Street Africans represent. You guys up in TO go serious with the African/Jamaican/Brazilian/etc stuff... "world music" haha. I'm not much of an African collector per se, I just went through the guy's stuff and took what sounded good to my ear. And trust me, it wasn't "a dime a dozen", this was a dealer who knows what's up.

Anyways, cheers!

ya man... no secrets anymore.. plus I have a feeling I know who you dealt with.. 125th is Harlem if i'm not mistaken?

Ya in these parts there is a little clique that really digs that sound... K (soufriere) knows what's up.. part of it is the records that are found here, but also, there are a few folks around here who were really up on that sound eons before it hit the 'record masses', so to speak.. with that being said, a fortunate few of us have been able to learn a lot.. this coupled with the fact that we're far more likely to find an island funk record than a big jazz piece or smth definitely accelerates the learning curve on that front..

if you're ever in Toronto, try to coordinate it with a TURNING POINT.. that'll explain everything and really fine tune your ears to this sound.. also, check out www.ducktape.ca .. some really nice mixes are up with very nice frican/latin/jazz/etc. flavours..

ok man.. if you find anything else, drop me a line and i'll set u up with a nice trade.. unless soufriere gets to you first hahaha :P

RON

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

This song is real bad. But if you flip the record over, you get a disco version of the somewhat racist Irving Berlin song "I'm an Indian, Too" which is killer

Lemme know if that Atmosphere Strut is a double for you.

"deputy of love" is killer, a stone cold classic son!

those african joints look rediculous paycheck.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I see and now I needs to hear...you got a soundclip of this modern pirate raer musoic?