Weekend Finds

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'd wouldn't bet on that. Actually, I would - against you. That LP has pressed like a motherfucker and that's one of them.

HEy Soul Jazz, how 'bout a Studio1 comp of her material? A couple soul covers (You're No Good, ) boom ska soul via "Call on Me", couple well knowns "Tell Me..", "Mark My Word...and Viola!

I met her in Toronto one time and, I must say, I've have yet to be overwhelmed with majestic beauty quite that way again.

K.

The Griffiths? Well, I definitely won't claim to be able to tell "original" pressings of Jamaican records...the photo isn't my copy, but looks just like it. Mine is DP1003 definitely pressed in JA, and has a sticker on the front hyping "Survival." Does that date it?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    San Diego goodies:

The Ansley Dunbar Retaliation - Doctor Dunbar's Prescription (Blue Thumb)
    The Ansley Dunbar Retaliation -S/T (Blue Thumb)
    V/A - Giants (MCA) "Fried Neckbones and Home Fries"
    Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet (Def Jam)
    Walker Brothers - Introducing (Smash)
    Fever Tree - For Sale (Ampex)
    Francoise Hardy - Nouvelle Edition (Vogue) nice 2LP comp
    Jenny Rock - Vol. 1 (Select) great French Canadian ye-ye
    Los Johnny Jets - A Go Go (Caytronics) "Fiebre"
    more records

and

a San Dieguito High School Yearbook from 1972. Stoner alternative high school where some kids could legally change their names. "Poindexer Sneerface" being my favorite. Famous big wave surfers Michael and Milton Willis (class of 1974) are pictured!

Life Magazine - September 9, 1966 issue. LSD Art cover story

Props to Mylatency.

Fish tacos rule.

• Options
    THe first press dosen't have "disc pressers" written in the bottom left corner.

K.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Bob Marley & the Wailers - Soul Revolution Pt.2 (Upsetter)
    Various - Viva! Latin Jazz (Fania)
    The Crusaders - Free As The Wind (ABC)
    Sarah Vaughan & Her Trio - Swingin' Easy (Mercury)
    Bo Hansson - Music Inspired By Lord Of The Rings (Charisma)
    Marcia Hines - Ladies & Gentlemen (Miracle)
    Various - Spirituals To Swing Vols 1 & 2 (Fontana)
    Nancy Wilson - For Once In My Life (Capitol)

• That is dope you picked up More Creation. It is super hard to catch, yes? Much more so than the first anyways. Is it as chock-full of vibe-y soul reggae goodness as my digger fiction suggests?

• Options
    This is the first time I've seen it on eBay in 3 years. IMO, includes one of the best JA funk tunes ever - an obvious culmintaion of Lennie and Jackie M's arrangment (Jackie's credited as the arranger - LEnnie aand him are both graduates of Jamaica's the high-achieving fostering Alpha Boys School (although LEnnie was aboutg 10 years older than Jackie and likely a instructor of his). Still never found out who played drums on those 'tings - (Joe) Isaacs doesn't remember doing them (but, knowing how hard these guys were worked, I'd leave that unproven)...Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace of Rockers acting fame could very well be the culprit...anyhow, whom ever it is is closely linked to JAckie and LEnnie (just by the way the album swings, you can tell)... no jazz dance boom shot like the first, but just as rewarding an album...adn more of a sample dogs' dream than the first (again, IMO).

It wasn't recording by Rudy Van Gelder and mastered at Frankford/Wayne, but shit kicks nonetheless.

You should get it mos def. I'll post some clips after I kiss my Mom and tell her I love her tomorrow night.

KEvin.

• Nice, I've been hooked since I heard it on the studio 1 roots comp, which gets a lot of play in the car. I'd love a copy if you ever see it, or similar jammie jams. Your formulative theories of studio 1 chemistry are hard-as-fugg. No ear in the dead wax? NO PROBLEM.

• Options
    I've already sent off your package, but you're due another CD obviously. You should buy the recent reissue, it's sounds comparable to the OG. Other than an odd 45 or 2, this style is an aberration for Studio 1. Coxsone likely succumbed because of Lennie's incredible dap among the genesis-era musicians (and their incredile appetite for Jazz (Jackie Mittoo (huge Don Patterson fan) and Roland Alphonso were insatiable fans). If you're looking for Jamaican jass representations, I'd look to the ska before you try and sift through the 70's material.

K in Canada.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Those LP's are somehwat common except for the Lennie. Damn Aleit costing me money! To my knowledge there's never been a repressing of this until the on that happened a coupled years ago (which give off it's repressness due to differing text on the front cover). Black and white studio 1 label with that thick middle/center wedge similar to NEw york pressed 70's reggae (and othe discop steez such as Peter Brown and Winley shit).

K.

was very much unhappy 'bout this to say the least. hanging my head in shame. will post goodies of the past week to make myself feel better about still not owning this.

noz- any chance you're passing on that exile one? i'm still in need of a copy of that.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

noz- any chance you're passing on that exile one? i'm still in need of a copy of that.

Good luck A*i. Likely outcome is he keeps it though, too nice. I'd love to trade for it too, but I didn't even offer. I figured it would be a lost cause since my obscure hip hop trades are worse than lacking.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I hadn't bought a record on eBay for about a year until two weeks ago. I was thinking about a July 4th road trip a friend I took to Boston/Cape Cod/Providence and how we forgot to bring music, so we listened to the Essential Logic 2xCD discography that had just come out. The song "Martian Man" was so pleasant, "Brute Fury" with that double saxophone thing, and Charles Hayward (This Heat) on drums. I remembered looking on eBay when that discography came out and her records were going for a bit. I figured people probably forgot about her by now, and, pretty much, they have. So I got the Lora Logic LP Pedigree Charm for 2 pounds and it came in the mail yesterday:

Soon to come from England - Maximum Joy - Silent Street/Stretch 7"

I also got the Coming From Where I'm From 12" by Anthony Hamilton

--- Castillo I just got that George Russell myself and listened to it yesterday. I think it's a pretty great record. I was surprised. Definitely bought it on the strength of Don Cherry and the MPS label. They put out Eternal Rhythm by Cherry, one of my favorite jazz LPs ever, and seem to be fairly consistent. Anyone real up on other records on that label?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts

Home Grown II (KKUA, 77): Second volume of a Hawaiian radio station-released compilation that gives exposure local artists. Best songs are

Nohelani Cypriano's "Lihue" and Brandon Bray and Brown Spice "Polynesian Girl"

Sisters of the Society Devoted To The Sacred Heart "You Are My Friend" (private, 73)...Los Angeles female folk gospel

• Options
    This is the first time I've seen it on eBay in 3 years. IMO, includes one of the best JA funk tunes ever - an obvious culmintaion of Lennie and Jackie M's arrangment (Jackie's credited as the arranger - LEnnie aand him are both graduates of Jamaica's the high-achieving fostering Alpha Boys School (although LEnnie was aboutg 10 years older than Jackie and likely a instructor of his). Still never found out who played drums on those 'tings - (Joe) Isaacs doesn't remember doing them (but, knowing how hard these guys were worked, I'd leave that unproven)...Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace of Rockers acting fame could very well be the culprit...anyhow, whom ever it is is closely linked to JAckie and LEnnie (just by the way the album swings, you can tell)... no jazz dance boom shot like the first, but just as rewarding an album...adn more of a sample dogs' dream than the first (again, IMO).

It wasn't recording by Rudy Van Gelder and mastered at Frankford/Wayne, but shit kicks nonetheless.

You should get it mos def. I'll post some clips after I kiss my Mom and tell her I love her tomorrow night.

KEvin.

Go For Yourself - Lennie Hibbert

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    LOL, that is a very fun LP Crink.

mas today:

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    WOW, "Slip it in whn it's wet"? i must hear it!

• djrdjr 511 Posts

If that's the Best of Alexander, what's the Worst?????

If that's the Best of Alexander, what's the Worst?????

right. this was my first thought. Like, wow, that implies that other Alexander exists?

It's not very good. but I enjoy reading the titles while looking at his pictures on the back.

I dunno what I was thinking. I just put this on again, and it is awesome! I had been awake for like 18 hours when I listened last night...

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

LAWD!!! Soundclip us please.

oh man, I just noticed that on the label his full name is "Alexander Longrifle"! Slip it in indeed. What a bad, dirty Indian...

LAWD!!! Soundclip us please.

I'll try, but I'm not good at making MP3's. If someone can help, I'll do it.

it actually is funky. and he has a funny indian accent to boot...

• This is the first time I've seen it on eBay in 3 years. IMO, includes one of the best JA funk tunes ever - an obvious culmintaion of Lennie and Jackie M's arrangment (Jackie's credited as the arranger - LEnnie aand him are both graduates of Jamaica's the high-achieving fostering Alpha Boys School (although LEnnie was aboutg 10 years older than Jackie and likely a instructor of his). Still never found out who played drums on those 'tings - (Joe) Isaacs doesn't remember doing them (but, knowing how hard these guys were worked, I'd leave that unproven)...Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace of Rockers acting fame could very well be the culprit...anyhow, whom ever it is is closely linked to JAckie and LEnnie (just by the way the album swings, you can tell)... no jazz dance boom shot like the first, but just as rewarding an album...adn more of a sample dogs' dream than the first (again, IMO).

KEvin.

Cheers - really need this now!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    nice one, I like that shit.

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    this is

Sounds like some dirty Redbone to me.

KEvin.

wow, that shit is MEAN. that drum break is monstrous

• Options
    Get your moody on, Mack

Don't Change Me (intro)

Chinese Beauty

K in Canada.

Get your moody on, Mack

Don't Change Me (intro)

Chinese Beauty

K in Canada.