Draw a cartoon of Muhammad, youre basically fucked

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Not only do people in the Middle East have a sense of humor and some good cartoonists....they're pretty damn perceptive too!!

Journalist from the Third World to an American journalist: You see I'm more free to express my views than you're now (Jalal Al-Rifa'i, Al-Dustour, 12/29/02).

• Your simple mind can't comprehend the knowledge I drop.

I was the one who made the comment about comparing Christians to the Crips. My point was and still is that there seems to be a double standard in American society where it's acceptable to ridicule certain groups but not others.

If your comment that people should expect backlash for saying offensive things is accurate, then I assume that if a Christian took your remark as an insult, didn't see it as a "joke" and burned down your house because of it, you should just accept it as "backlash".

If SS is a microcosm of our society then the only conclusion you could come to after reading months of posts is that groups like White Women and Christians are fair game for ridicule while other groups like Muslims and African Americans are taboo.

I'm no longer going to try to point out this double standard....it exists and is apparently just acceptable to the majority of folks here.

You know why? Christianity is stupid. Communism is good.

• Generique:[/b] I find it humorous that you are so offended by my cartoon comparrison earlier in this thread but you still claim not to understand why these Muhammad drawings are upsetting to others.

I think it's not a strong argument to try to show why the Danish cartoons are offensive and border-crossing by showing an entirely different cartoon, without saying what the relevance is in relation to the Danish cartoons. Especially when you're saying you post it to make it possible for everyone to understand...

Next time I will say I find it humorous you have to resort to that kind of argument instead of saying it's weak and suspect.

• The google ads that appear above this particular thread are hilarious. I've seen anything from "Osama Bin Laden" to "redneck humour" and "political music".

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

First, let me break it down to just the bare facts.

---

STEP 1:[/b]

SEPTEMBER 30TH (4 MONTHS AGO!!):
    Jyllands-Posten prints the 12 drawings of the holy prophet of Islam, Muhammad. The reactions from danish muslims can roughly be split into 3 categories:

A: I don't care (very few)
    B: I find the drawings offensive and/or stupid, but hey - we've got freedom of speech here so I won't do anything about it (many).
    C: I find the drawings offensive, and I'm going to do something about it (NON-VIOLENT) (many).

The only thing missing from your timeline is why did this right wing newspaper decide to print those racist drawings ?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but they did it knowing it would pissed off muslims. Actually they did it TO upset muslims : there was this book about the prophet that no muslim cartoonist wanted to illustrate, so someone at Jyllands-Posten thought it would be smart to print drawing, many of them very offensive.

How can you be surprised of the reaction when the idea of the newspaper was to be provocative for the sake of provocation ?

Christianity is stupid. Communism is good. [/b]

• Christianity is stupid. Communism is good. [/b]

don't take anything that guy says serious, kid is like 12 years old

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    The only thing missing from your timeline is why did this right wing newspaper decide to print those racist drawings ?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but they did it knowing it would pissed off muslims. Actually they did it TO upset muslims : there was this book about the prophet that no muslim cartoonist wanted to illustrate, so someone at Jyllands-Posten thought it would be smart to print drawing, many of them very offensive.

How can you be surprised of the reaction when the idea of the newspaper was to be provocative for the sake of provocation ?

so true,
    & now the other papers printing the same toons to support free speech
    being rightwing provocateurs by proxy

next they can reprint some kkk cartoons or
    yell "fire" in a crowded theatre
    to further or freedoms

communist hurt my friend

• Christianity is stupid. Communism is good. [/b]

don't take anything that guy says serious, kid is like 12 years old

Yet I'm still smarter than you, pencil dick.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

3 more pages......

• So I guess nobody ever heard of Negative Land?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So I guess nobody ever heard of Negative Land?

LOLOLOLOLOL....PLEASE, DO NOT SEND CASH!!!

• 3. It shouldn't, but it does and that's not really a surprise in most cases... anyone with half a brain could've predicted this. People[/b] are emotional beings when whipped into a state of fury things can get violent. I mean, if operas can cause riots....

jp you point at 3 is kinda fucked, your saying muslims are not violent and then saying everyone should have expected this, they can't help themselves to some violence, and someone may know what the reaction is to something does not give an excuse to a ridiculous reaction

yeah there is a disturbing sentiment in some of these posts that - while the paper may have had the freedom to print these cartoons - they "should've known" it would lead to violence, etc.

maybe that's true. maybe I'm just not prepared to accept that cartoons - even racist ones - will inevitably lead to violence.

there is a racist undercurrent inherent in the idea that these Muslims were bound to break fool at the sight of these cartoons.

we need to hold these people to sane adult standards, not excitable animal standards.

I never stated in my comments that "Muslims" specifically are "bound to break fool". I believe the post said "people". In fact, since you dolts can't seem to read my post clearly, I've gone ahead and bolded the word in question.

Good lord, some of you are thick.

whatever dog, nice try to back out of it, "anyone with half a brain could've predicted this", thats what you said, which i would think most would take to mean muslims are predictably violent

i want to give muslims more credit than that, some of you don't

• i want to give muslims more credit than that, some of you don't

Keep posting JPGs to divert attention away from that fact.

sure thing...

MALARKEY![/b]

• MALARKEY![/b]

fuck you, you little terd
    get the fuck out of posts like this, you have nothing to add, your on the same level as sabadaba

• MALARKEY![/b]

get the fuck out of posts like this, you have nothing to add, your on the same level as sabadaba

At least I'm not putting words in posters mouths and flipp flopping some bullshit to prove my ego, like you, DOG. Why you mad.

• Your simple mind can't comprehend the knowledge I drop.

I was the one who made the comment about comparing Christians to the Crips. My point was and still is that there seems to be a double standard in American society where it's acceptable to ridicule certain groups but not others.

If your comment that people should expect backlash for saying offensive things is accurate, then I assume that if a Christian took your remark as an insult, didn't see it as a "joke" and burned down your house because of it, you should just accept it as "backlash".

So I guess you support the angry Muslims, then? You support my joke. Are you condemning the cartoons? Looks like it, FLIP FLOPPER.

so true,
    & now the other papers printing the same toons to support free speech
    being rightwing provocateurs by proxy

next they can reprint some kkk cartoons or
    yell "fire" in a crowded theatre
    to further or freedoms

T*m...I gotta disagree with you and here's why....

The KKK is a fringe lunatic group that claims to follow peaceful Christian beliefs and over the last 100 years is responsible for 100's of murders committed strictly because of someone's race/ethnicity/religious beliefs. There has been plenty of anti-KKK cartoons and literature, which decries murders being committed in the name of their Christian "God" all of which I'm sure you and I would have no problem with.

An Iranian website even recently printed the below photo which shows all Americans being represented as members of the KKK....neither Christians or Americans would march in the streets and threaten to kill people because of it.

On the other side of this coin is a fringe lunatic Islamic group of people who claim to follow peaceful Muslim beliefs and have killed 100,000's of people in the last 25 years because of their race/ethnicity/religious beliefs. A cartoon that depicts murders being committed behind the guise of their Muslim "GOD" seems just as appropriate as the above mentioned Anti-KKK cartoons.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

MALARKEY![/b]

At least I'm not putting words in posters mouths and flipp flopping some bullshit to prove my ego, like you, DOG. Why you mad.

Them posters kind of speak for themselves, dog.

• MALARKEY![/b]

Them posters kind of speak for themselves, dog.

What do you mean? Are you saying he doesn't do that?

Your simple mind can't comprehend the knowledge I drop.

So I guess you support the angry Muslims, then? You support my joke. Are you condemning the cartoons? Looks like it, FLIP FLOPPER.

Quite the opposite....I'm saying that for you to claim that violent backlash, regardless of whether it was to your anti-Christian comment or these cartoons, is a ridiculous behavior and should not be expected or accepted.

You see I don't think Christians should burn your house down even if you do compare them to a criminal murderous gang......you seem to support their right to do just that.

• MALARKEY![/b]

first of you little terd i didn't put words in anyones mouth, johnny said that this was predictable, that mulslims going buck wild is predictable, thats a stereotype folks, that kind of thinking is the same as a hick who thinks black people all go around rioting when thier unhappy

and in this post i never said anything about muslims being a violent people or judging them as a whole, the other side of this argument seems to be doing enough of that

if i had an ego i would not even respond to thoughtless little dumb shits like you

• You see I don't think Christians should burn your house down even if you do compare them to a criminal murderous gang......you seem to support their right to do just that.

I posted before that I don't support their right to do this. I guess you have a selective memory to support your agenda.

I also don't support the right of gangs to regulate blocks and enforce colors codes. I'm still not going to walk through a blood hood, top to bottom in blue, crip walkin'. That's stupid. That was my point.

I won't comment on 3rds post. Didn't read it. I'm sure it's just more useless, insulting, psychobabble. Same old shit.

Tim...I gotta disagree with you and here's why....

point taken, my analogy was painted with broad strokes,
    i don't know if the danish paper is further right than the wash times,
    but if those moonie nut jobs came up with the same cartoon
    & then the post & ny times all printed it in solidarity
    would it be seen as a defense of free speech
    or would they be tools of hate mongerers ?

fight communism, send me your cash !

You see I don't think Christians should burn your house down even if you do compare them to a criminal murderous gang......you seem to support their right to do just that.

I posted before that I don't support their right to do this. I guess you have a selective memory to support your agenda.

I also don't support the right of gangs to regulate blocks and enforce colors codes. I'm still not going to walk through a blood hood, top to bottom in blue, crip walkin'. That's stupid. That was my point.

I won't comment on 3rds post. Didn't read it. I'm sure it's just more useless, insulting, psychobabble. Same old shit.

You are correct and I apologize....you did not say you supported this violent reaction, you simply said that it should be expected.

I defend anybodies right to express what they want, but if it's stupid, or socially irresponsible, than they should be ready for the backlash, no matter how WRONG the backlash is.[/b]

My stance is it should not be expected or accepted.

And I'm sure when you compared Christians to Crips you did not expect violent backlash......or did you???

• You see I don't think Christians should burn your house down even if you do compare them to a criminal murderous gang......you seem to support their right to do just that.

You are correct and I apologize....you did not say you supported this violent reaction, you simply said that it should be expected.

I defend anybodies right to express what they want, but if it's stupid, or socially irresponsible, than they should be ready for the backlash, no matter how WRONG the backlash is.[/b]

And I'm sure when you compared Christians to Crips you did not expect violent backlash......or did you???

No I did not. I am also not a mainstream newspaper. I'm some loser on an internet board.

I agree. But unfortunately that is not the world we live in. I believe in free speech all the way. I don't support violent reactions to the ideas expressed. I condemn the people burning Danish buildings. I am not king and nobody cares. That's all.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts