SLANG words you wish you heard AGAIN

Comments

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

gnarly

i like this one too.

Miss Bassie, I seem to remember reading that you live back east...

With gnarly, rad and dude as favorites, are you sure you didn't grow up out here in the San Fernando Valley?

I live in Oceanside now, but I grew up in Ridgemont High Land. I generally no longer use rad and gnarly, but I don't think I could excise dude from my vocabulary if I wanted to! That shit is too ingrained in my DNA.

i love YIKES.

a favourite - i use it more in writing than in speaking though.

In writing I'm also a fan of YEESH!

• wile/wild out, wilin/wilding out

similar vein: Break fool/breakin' fool.

Oh, and another favorite from the last few years is whorebag.

Sounds totally rude but is ever so appropriate in all sorts of circumstances (most especially driving)!

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    turkey is a slang word that will never leave my vocabulary.

I use this on the reg, its classic material.
    another one on the list-> right on -- always handy, a true standby.
    chillaxin, for sure. can even be abbreviated down to chillax.

and last but not least... "the tits".

as in, "yo, that shit is the tits, fam!"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'd like to hear "fantastic" used a bit more often.

Actually nevermind, that might dilute the meaning, because if someone takes the care in using that word now you KNOW they mean it.

I use this a lot. Its used in the Army[/b] a lot. also fan-fucking-tastic.
    Which Army are you talking about?

Salvation Army, of course!

are young GIs and Drill Sergeants not saying FAN-TASTIC anymore?

Do they still say "Ate up like a soup sandwich?" or "11 up, 3 down?"
    personally, none of those basic-isms never caught on with me, except for FANTASTIC which was just fun to say. That and chucklehead and/or knucklehead is still funny to me. That, and when they called privates "YOU"... it was such a burn for some reason. That, and "brain" and "john wayne". In retrospect, I guess it was all kinda funny how they came up with creative ways to not curse and make you feel dumb at the same time.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    All-city. Underrated Graffiti term.

- spidey

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    IM trying to bring back ending sentences with What.

EX.

Those liverppol boys sure played a mean game of footie, what!

Suppose I quit my job and we live happily off the land in the countryside, what?

• Geeked
    Cold
    Lampin'
    Bet (or a'ight-bet)
    On-the-strength
    Mad
    Ish (in substitute for shit)

I still rock the early '90s slang as much as possible. Preferrably around those who have no idea what they mean. It's great to see them and stumble on a response. Followed by (or preceeding) a blank stare.

Illy.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Ish (in substitute for shit)

I would never ever ever use this word in real life. or on the internet. except for soulstrut's ish about rackords.

• Ish isn't the greatest, but I always liked the concept of how it came about -- you know, from back in the day when they would reverse the word "shit" in radio edits, so it came out sounding like "ish."

Just a prime example of hip-hop ingenuity that should be embraced.

• Ish isn't the greatest, but I always liked the concept of how it came about -- you know, from back in the day when they would reverse the word "shit" in radio edits, so it came out sounding like "ish."

Just a prime example of hip-hop ingenuity that should be embraced.
    i beg to differ. "ish"? awful.

• What up doe?

Chillaxin'.

We used to say Duck in 1979-81. I loved that term.

What up duck?

Or can you put that in a sentence so as to illustrate its proper usage?

this is a funny thread. that reminds me of some shit me and my brother used to do. everytime a weird car would come through our neighborhood (we lived in a pretty rural area so it wasn't too many cars) we would yell "pig nosed turkey" and push back our noses like a pig. i have no idea why we did that! it's funny to think about now but back then it just made sense.

oh and i'd like to hear the word def come back.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    "mental." perhaps this is still used but i am just getting old.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    i had a friend in high school who had the crazy slangometry, shit like 'jack' as a negative term: that dude's a jack. also, when something was bad in a weird way, it was 'shell' or he's 'shellin'

i always liked writer's slang: vamped, crushed, rack, toy

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    IM trying to bring back ending sentences with What.

EX.

Those liverppol boys sure played a mean game of footie, what!

Suppose I quit my job and we live happily off the land in the countryside, what?

A good friend of mine just sent me an e-mail from his 2nd day on a 4 month trip to Chile. All it said was:

"Wow. Heineken 50 cents a litre. WHAT!"

It's not slang, since it's an old english word. But I'd love to hear "Vex/Vex'd/Vexing" way more...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Chops...when someone says something stupid they get the hand chop to the neck

See, we had 'crowns' at my high school...light rap on the skull with the middle knuckles.

"Receive your crown!"

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    i love YIKES.

I say this easily 20 times a day. Probably the word I abuse most right now. Other seriously out-moded slang I'm guilty of using: "On the level", "Spot on", "Yoink"

Proof positive that I am a giant nerd...as if the soulstrut thing weren't enough.

• A few from Mookevillie in the 80's:

What a "jitbag"

"booking" as in running really fast in a hurry. Like we were "booking" from the cops the other night.

anyone? Granted they are from Mookeville...can you say insular?

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    spidey impressed the first go round. although everyone is coming with some molten lava actual fact.

of course i have my own form of slanguistics. but generally i use and would like to hear:

snoops for $
    slammin
    hypo or hype
    scarf some grimace proportions
    float an air biscuit
    doorknob
    i'm glad 'fly' is back n effect
    catch wreck
    pantywaist
    far-out
    heavy
    devastating
    homepiss
    copasthetic
    hunkidori (ouch)
    troop
    houseshoes
    on the ultimate
    phenomenem instead of phenomenon (see Devastating Crush Money)

etc.

• "clocking"

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Actually nevermind, that might dilute the meaning, because if someone takes the care in using that word now you KNOW they mean it.

personally, none of those basic-isms never caught on with me, except for FANTASTIC which was just fun to say. That and chucklehead and/or knucklehead is still funny to me. That, and when they called privates "YOU"... it was such a burn for some reason. That, and "brain" and "john wayne". In retrospect, I guess it was all kinda funny how they came up with creative ways to not curse and make you feel dumb at the same time.

You're right on like 99% of the above, but I just don't hear that word fantastic being tossed around a lot. A word like 'Outstanding' I hear/heard a lot over the years but never 'fantastic'.
    Well you were in like 15 years ago, so.............

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Okey-dokie.

You're right on like 99% of the above, but I just don't hear that word fantastic being tossed around a lot. A word like 'Outstanding' I hear/heard a lot over the years but never 'fantastic'.

I had friends a few years back who were getting married and were going to change both their last names to fantastik - guess they couldn't decide whether she should take his name or not and thought this was a good compromise. Needless to say, Mr. and Mrs. Fantastik chickened out in the end...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I had friends a few years back who were getting married and were going to change both their last names to fantastik - guess they couldn't decide whether she should take his name or not and thought this was a good compromise. Needless to say, Mr. and Mrs. Fantastik chickened out in the end...
    Oh SNAP!!!!

• I would like to see 'money' make a comeback.
    Like, "Kobe Bryant put up 81 points, that dude is money!
    or, "What up money!"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I would like to see 'money' make a comeback.
    Like, "Kobe Bryant put up 81 points, that dude is money!
    or, "What up money!"

My old ass never let go of "money".

"Money is nice."

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I'd like to see skeezer used more.

lately it's all about spanish slang.. Juevon is my slng right now.

• some dc slang:

Bamma. as in: "that party sucked. what a bunch of bammas." I guess it is still in use around here. but I really wish it would catch on beyond here.

Carried. similar to "dissed." "that bamma just got straight carrried!" They don't really say this here anymore, I don't think, but I like it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    some dc slang:

Bamma. as in: "that party sucked. what a bunch of bammas." I guess it is still in use around here. but I really wish it would catch on beyond here.

Carried. similar to "dissed." "that bamma just got straight carrried!" They don't really say this here anymore, I don't think, but I like it.

I always though Bama/Bamma was short for Country Bumpkins by the way of AlaBAMA?