"Fags"??? are good to know, and people too. Thanks

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    As the resident PC dude around here...

1 I find it ASTOUNDING that anyone even thinks that Christians are really under attack at all.

When I read things like "Full points for comparing Crips to Christians, that's a good analogy"(Tookie thread) or "The Christian community want gay people dead" it isn't much different in my eyes as the ignorance that spews "AIDS is God's punishment to Gays" or "gay people are sub-human"....and I'm far from PC

how do the hyper pc-types here rationalize the misogyny, homonegativity and racism present in so many classic rap records? i find it odd that people who would quickly profess their love for cube or short (or really any rapper ever) would also get worked up over hearing/seeing the words "fag" or "bitch." i'm not saying that i disagree with your position (although i thow around words like that more often than i probably should), just that it seems diametrically opposed to your taste in music.

Dave Hickey, in his essay "Pontormo's Rainbow," says something that might come close to being an answer to your question. He's talking about a campaign waged during his childhood (in the 1950s) to clean up cartoons and cartoon violence. He states that kids know that running over a real cat with a lawnmower would most assuredly result in a lot of blood and one dead cat, whereas Jerry running over Tom with a lawnmower results only in a shaved strip down Tom's back. Which is precisely why it's funny and entertaining: because it's not real.

He goes on to say that, for the vast majority of us, there's a huge difference between what we want to see and what we want to see represented. He extrapolates this to include all visual arts. I'm doing my own extrapolation here when it comes to music, because it applies (at least for me) to certain things.

For the most part, I'm not into hearing sex rhymes, but there are certain guilty pleasures (read: entire Beatnuts releases). And there is quite a bit of rap violence that, for better or worse, I truly enjoy listening to. But I don't ever wanna see that shit play out in the real world. Keepin' it on wax makes it very different to me.

Having said that, I've always been bothered by anti-gay lyrics (which sucks, as a hip-hop/dancehall DJ). I just don't play that shit. I don't want it banned--that's really not my call--but as a DJ, I get to decide what I will and won't play.

And finally: I think folks should feel free to use whatever language they want on this site and out in the world. I just hope they are at least aware of what they're saying. When you call a guy a "bitch," you're feminizing him and implying that women are weak. Several examples of this have been stated earlier in this thread. Like I said: Feel free, but know that you're kinda showin' your ass.

[Wow, that reads all rambly, doesn't it? Sorry if I'm sidetrackin' here.]

And add this to it.....Don't say anything here or on the internet that you wouldn't say to a person's face in real life.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

And add this to it.....Don't say anything here or on the internet that you wouldn't say to a person's face in real life.

This I can't get with...there would be no entertainment value whatsoever if this was the case...that's why these forums are not newspapers or material in a doctoral thesis. If forums were just facts and polite discourse most (and this one in particular) would die on the vine. I say just keep that showbiz element in mind and maintain some perspective people. It ain't brain surgery. And can I still say coochie?

• As the resident PC dude around here...

1 I find it ASTOUNDING that anyone even thinks that Christians are really under attack at all.

what do you mean...IF ONLY christians could stop getting beat half by drunken frat guys to death for being christian..IF ONLY christians could openly worship and get married legally, IF ONLY christians could wear a symbol of their religion on their person or automobile without public scorn and ridicule, IF ONLY their religious holidays could be declared public holidays.

defending Christianity in the USA is like adding a brick to the great wall of China....it isnt really needed.

This I can't get with...there would be no entertainment value whatsoever if this was the case...that's why these forums are not newspapers or material in a doctoral thesis. If forums were just facts and polite discourse most (and this one in particular) would die on the vine. I say just keep that showbiz element in mind and maintain some perspective people. It ain't brain surgery. And can I still say coochie?

I meant in reference to personal attacks and insults.....unless that's part of the entertainment value??. I've seen too many assholes who hide behind a screen and spew stuff that they would get their ass kicked for in real life....especially at some other sites.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I meant in reference to personal attacks and insults.....unless that's part of the entertainment value??. I've seen too many assholes who hide behind a screen and spew stuff that they would get their ass kicked for in real life....especially at some other sites.

No I get you, and I generally follow that rule unless someone wades in just looking to have their eggs scrambled. Then, IMO, gloves are off and rules go out the door. But that person's race/sexual preference/economic status/religion would still be off limits. There's plenty of ways to insult someone who is an idiot without going into those areas.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    because it's not real.

and the internet is?

(to further deconstruct - and language is?)

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

And can I still say coochiewonderful love lotus?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Atleast page 4 is showing some signs of some real speak.

Thx guys.

PS: I'm not hatting on the beef stuff. Just that I enjoy constructive debate and discussion over insults being tossed over cyber space.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

lets face it you've turned a blind eye towards homophobia.

Stand by your words.

I do stand by my words, you refuse to acknowledge that someone you know personally could of said something homophobic or prejudiced. It makes any conversation/ debate with you on this subject pointless. As soon as you realize that people you know may actually hold different views from you and express them than maybe we can talk about it like grown folks.

My beef with you is that your efforts toward ending homophobia basically begin and end with this site. Yet you have the fucking stones to say what's quoted above to someone who has lived with - and fought - homophobia all his life.

the hypocracy in this statement is amazing. You come at me beleiving that all I've done as far as my beliefs in equality for gay people is limited to this site; as if you know about the way I grew up, where I grew up, who I grew up with and what I do now.

I've written examples of times I've dealt with friends that had to deal homophobic attitdes and actions of others, I grew up with quite a few gay people and for god sakes I work in the TV industry. If you don't think I interact, hang out with gay people than I suggest leaving your private mind garden for a while and getting a grip on reality.

The funny thing is you seem to do the same things I do when it comes to homophobia, You stand up and make yourself heard when you think people are acting ignorant, however when I do it I guess its not the same to you for some reason. I can't do anything about that except tell you that, despite what you think, you don't have me figured out.

Drez:[/b] Your name came up cause JP wanted me to cite an example of anti-gay sentiment on this site. You just so happened to be that guy that delivered it so I named you. If that offends you or hurts you than I suggest not leaving written records of things like that. Your braggadocious "I'm going to kick your ass" attitude is tired. You've already admitted to talking behind my back trying to make me look bad (Tony Sherman/ Shig) so let's leave that alone. No threat you'll ever make will change what happened. I'm sick of hearing you come off like a tough guy just cause you decided one day to have an issue with me. We've gone over this again and again. That was some weak shit for you to do, and its even weaker that you stand by it.

UMAD:[/b] While I understand that JP may be one of your closest freinds he is more than capable of defending himself in issues like this. Your angry "asshole without a cause" attitude is never really needed.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dudes pick fights with me, when they could've had a field day in the recent Phill Most thread.

No one picked a fight with you. You asked for confrontation. You "called me out" on examples of soulstrut homophobia. I don't got hate for you dude.

I am sorry that I lost my temper last night.

I'm sorry for the mean shit I said and I'm sorry if I provked you to lose your temper

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Thinking back over my years I guess I shedded some tears
    Told myself time and time again 'This time I'm gonna win'
    But in every fight things ain't right, losin' again
    Takes a fool to lose twice, start all over again

Chorus:
    Think I'd better let it go
    Looks like another love TKO
    Looks like another love TKO

Tried to take control of love, love took control of me
    'Cause you lose all thought, sense of time and have a change of mind
    Takin' the bumps and the bruises of all the things* of a two-time loser
    Try to hold on, faith is gone, it's just another sad song

Chorus:
    Think it's time to let it go
    Feels like another love TKO

Tried to take control of the love, love took control of me
    'Cause you lose all thought, sense of time and have a change of mind
    Takin' the bumps and the bruises of all the things* of a two-time loser
    Try to hold on, the faith is gone, it's just another sad song

TKO
    TKO

• THE END

copyright 2006 Raj

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Guzzo, I like you, but.....

You are the most annoying little moral crusader I have ever seen. You will yell at generally like minded people about antisemitism and closet racism until the cows come home, and now you are soulstruts SOLE warrior in the good fight against homophobia! I know this is fun for you, but in the process you have probably pissed off a good 2/3rds of this site. I mean, you are assuming that if someone uses this graemlin that they in turn hate homosexuals and would prefer them not to have equal standing in society. Dont you think thats a little bit of a rediculous assumption?

Do you imagine an opressed population of gay lurkers that you are somehow bringing justice to? Can they now speak their mind because of the work you have done?

I love it to see you calling people an instigator too! when its basicly clear that no matter what anyone says you will find a way to argue back.

just cut it out.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    how do the hyper pc-types here rationalize the misogyny, homonegativity and racism present in so many classic rap records? i find it odd that people who would quickly profess their love for cube or short (or really any rapper ever) would also get worked up over hearing/seeing the words "fag" or "bitch." i'm not saying that i disagree with your position (although i thow around words like that more often than i probably should), just that it seems diametrically opposed to your taste in music.

this is the second time i've brought this up in one of these threads and virtually nobody had the balls to address it.

everybody but ross

i just nailed you

what do you mean...IF ONLY christians could stop getting beat half by drunken frat guys to death for being christian..IF ONLY christians could openly worship and get married legally, IF ONLY christians could wear a symbol of their religion on their person or automobile without public scorn and ridicule, IF ONLY their religious holidays could be declared public holidays.

defending Christianity in the USA is like adding a brick to the great wall of China....it isnt really needed.

hate is hate....didn't know it was a contest to see who's been hated the most....but if it is, the Christian Team is way out in front of the Gay Team as far as people having been killed, abused and ridiculed in the history of the world.

Over thre last 50 years in the U.S. there's no question that Gay bashing has exceeded Christian bashing.

And yes, Christians are way out in front as far as being haters/killers themselves, but that doesn't make ANY of it right.

I also think that possibly, if you are a member of one of these "teams" you probably have a hard time looking at the comparison w/o being biased...but that's just my opinion.

The initial statement that started this portion of the debate was....

"I'm not Christian or Gay but I think bashing either group is equally wrong"

And personally, I think that single statement is pretty impossible to dispute.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    how do the hyper pc-types here rationalize the misogyny, homonegativity and racism present in so many classic rap records?
    The beat was hot.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

hate is hate....didn't know it was a contest to see who's been hated the most....but if it is, the Christian Team is way out in front of the Gay Team as far as people having been killed, abused and ridiculed in the history of the world.

Over thre last 50 years in the U.S. there's no question that Gay bashing has exceeded Christian bashing.

And yes, Christians are way out in front as far as being haters/killers themselves, but that doesn't make ANY of it right.

I also think that possibly, if you are a member of one of these "teams" you probably have a hard time looking at the comparison w/o being biased...but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I think comparing apples to oranges is impossibly dumb.

• how do the hyper pc-types here rationalize the misogyny, homonegativity and racism present in so many classic rap records?
    The beat was hot.
    BAN

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    how do the hyper pc-types here rationalize the misogyny, homonegativity and racism present in so many classic rap records?

The beat was hot.

BAN

What, you don't like certain classic rap records containing misogyny, homonegativity and racism?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Do you imagine an opressed population of gay lurkers that you are somehow bringing justice to?

Haha! Hilarious!

Due, you're a trip....

"Gays are the scourge of the earth, their lifestyle harms mankind and they should be exterminated from the face of the planet"

That seems like bashing to me...

compared to....

"Christians are the scourge of the earth, their lifestyle harms mankind and they should be exterminated from the face of the planet"

Hmmm.....sounds like bashing

So do tell....which one of these two statements are more hateful and offensive??

Since you seem to show up to dispute any/everything I post here I'll give you one to have a good ol' time with.....ready....

"IT GETS DARK OUT AT NIGHT"

I know you can prove me wrong....let me know if you need any hints.

• As the resident PC dude around here...

When I read things like "Full points for comparing Crips to Christians, that's a good analogy"(Tookie thread) or "The Christian community want gay people dead" it isn't much different in my eyes as the ignorance that spews "AIDS is God's punishment to Gays" or "gay people are sub-human"....and I'm far from PC

So you still didn't get the Crips to Christians thing was a joke, huh? I wrote it, it was a joke. People have selective memories. Convenient for soapboxism. LOLOLOL

And Danno already said he was being sarcastic by the "Full points" comment. Please Rockadelic, PLEASE.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    "Gays are the scourge of the earth, their lifestyle harms mankind and they should be exterminated from the face of the planet"

compared to....

"Christians are the scourge of the earth, their lifestyle harms mankind and they should be exterminated from the face of the planet"

So do tell....which one of these two statements are more hateful and offensive??

So by your logic:

"Apples are a spherical and generally sweet fruit."

compared to...

"Oranges are a spherical and generally sweet fruit."

somehow means that apples and oranges are completely equal?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand you. Please stop victimizing me. It's a black or white issue: either you understand my simple and admittedly cliche analogy or you don't.

So you still didn't get the Crips to Christians thing was a joke, huh? I wrote it, it was a joke. People have selective memories. Convenient for soapboxism. LOLOLOL

And Danno already said he was being sarcastic by the "Full points" comment. Please Rockadelic, PLEASE.

It wasn't your post I was referencing...it was one that was a reply to you...and didn't act as if it were a joke check it out.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I keep thinking this thread is about faqs and then get disappointed.

We need a but for bunched-panty threads

• It wasn't your post I was referencing...it was one that was a reply to you...and didn't act as if it were a joke check it out.

Oh, OK. I believe you.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Don't you hate it when stupid threads go on for too long? By the end it bears no resemblence to how it started. apples/oranges rant for 4 pages and shit. When's the next record day?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Due, you're a trip....

compared to....

Since you seem to show up to dispute any/everything I post here I'll give you one to have a good ol' time with.....ready....

"IT GETS DARK OUT AT NIGHT"

I know you can prove me wrong....let me know if you need any hints.

I agree... I'm not religious at all. I hate being preached to. But It's almost like your casting all Christians as all the same. Or forgetting that in other parts of the world (Yes, the US is not the centre of it people...) women & children are chased down and killed for being nothing more than being christian. Maybe it's no where near on the scale of other groups. That doesn't make it any more right...

Shit... My gurl just made me watch that Oprah DVD (The Africa Christmas trip). Makes my life seem like it's lacking huge. I give money to groups, but I feel like I need to do more hands on...

Anyways.. get ur differentiating on.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

So you're saying you would call me a cheerleader and point me to a picture of a dog in a cheerleader outfit in the real world?