How do you guys organize your records?

2»

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    listened to, not listened to. i keep putting it (organizing by genre) off .

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    by genre, then abc's. I also have a section for compilations. Also I have a section for recent records purchased. That's my speed rack, right under my turntables.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well it looks like I may have to stick with alphabetical order. Maybe I'll seperate the 12" singles from the LPs too. Thanks.

• i recently pulled all of my hip hop 12"s out and put them in their own section by alpha. I like it much much better than having them mixed with the LP's, go for it.

other than that i'm boring as hell. jazz has it's own 4 shelves and it's alpha, rock and rock related shit goes together by alpha, soundtracks, novelty records, reggae, children's records, they all have their little sections. soul/funk/blues has its own section of course. that's about all there is to it. oh and then there's the ever-popular "new arrivals" section right underneat the turntable, that's steadily a packed crate's worth of vinyl. by the time i get to putting it all away, it's only a matter of weeks before it fills up again.

• I have my records separated by genre: soul/funk, jazz, latin/brazilian/african ("world music", I mean come on I grew up in Berkeley), rock, reggae, hip-hop, and disco. used to be alpha but has since fallen into various states of disrepair and disorganization... 12"s are kind of mixed in or separate, there's a disco area but then certain 12s have ended up back in the soul section and so on... thinking of going straight alphabetical.

I have a box of stuff that used to be new stuff I had just picked up, but now all the new shit just stays in the shop, which is where I spend most of my time... and even that is becoming a problem, my records mixed in various other areas behind the counter... now the "new" box at home is mostly 6 months old plus... I have three or four boxes sitting in the middle of the floor at home, mostly stuff I've pulled out to spin and never refiled, because what's the point. THESE are the boxes that are slowly getting burned and will end up getting sold... dildo man...

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    My system is whatever I listened to most recently goes in the pile nearest the records player... works for me.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    i recently pulled all of my hip hop 12"s out and put them in their own section by alpha. I like it much much better than having them mixed with the LP's, go for it.

other than that i'm boring as hell. jazz has it's own 4 shelves and it's alpha, rock and rock related shit goes together by alpha, soundtracks, novelty records, reggae, children's records, they all have their little sections. soul/funk/blues has its own section of course. that's about all there is to it. oh and then there's the ever-popular "new arrivals" section right underneat the turntable, that's steadily a packed crate's worth of vinyl. by the time i get to putting it all away, it's only a matter of weeks before it fills up again.

Same with me. Right now I have all my Hiphop mixed together in alphabetical order with the new arrivals crate next to the turntables. The other stuff like Jazz, Childrens, Spoken word/instruction, ETC. are filed somewhere else. It's just the HipHop that I need a better system of filing. So I guess I'll separate the twelves from the LPs.

• i tried organizing my hip hop by association once (reco from dj stef in fact), and that was kinda cool, but i didn't like it for that long. by associsation i mean grouping together artists who are normally grouped together. tribe, de la, black sheep, etc - under "N" for Native Tongues. You could group all kinds of shit together that way, and then organize them by west coast, new england, south east coast, south ,etc.. it's interesting but not as fun as it really sounds.

• by how i'm feeling. if i'm in a blah mood, i'll move all my morrissey and smiths records up front. if i'm feeling "high", i put the lee perry and paul's boutique type records in the front. if i'm angry, the nine inch nails records and the like get moved. as you can see, i'm rearranging my records every day. like today, i ahd a bad day at work, wanted to get blunted so i moved every biggie, method man, redman, and cypress hill record i have to the front of the pile.

just kidding. alphabetical by genre, then by artist, then by year of release. peace. pres.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

i hate the way my 45s are set up though, so hard to go through them quickly - have to pull them all out to go through. need to find some decent and cheap boxes...but alas, where would I put those?

shoebox works ok - not great, just ok - for me.

• by size

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Complete anal retentive here. Have 45s, Hip Hop, everything else. Alphabetical order, all LPs have plastic sleeves and stickers with the hot tracks listed on them. Probably the easiest way for me to keep track of everything.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    spine color.

no shit?........me too

• let's see they are separate "first" by genre. The Soul stuff is just alphabetical. The Hip Hop (which is much larger) is separate chronologically by year with each year alphabetical. Everything else is just in a crate by genre in no particular order

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    alphabetical by genre- indie rock, soul, funk, hip hop, dub/reggae, kraut rock/electronic, jazz, surf, rockabilly, psych/garage, delta blues, soundtracks, oddball etc. - thats the full expedite. Then 6 stacks of my favorites/raers/recent arrivals.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    fuck organization.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    fuck organization.

word.

• Once in a while I have to shelve the piles of records that I have been listening to or have just bought. Without planning it my wall has become organized as follows:

funk/soul
    OST
    - jazz
    - funk
    - scifi/horror
    - European
    library
    psych/rock/folk
    Indian OST
    - pre '70
    - post '70
    Pakistani OST
    - interesting
    - uninteresting
    African
    Latin
    Brasil
    India non OST
    electronic/avant garde/spoken word
    easy listening
    very raer
    jazz
    stuff I bought when young (fusion/prog/pop/new wave)
    stuff to sell/get rid off/doubles

It's all in plastic.

45's are a mess and unorganized.

alphabetical by genre, then by artist, then by year of release. peace. pres.

damn by year of release too...cough cough anal cough cough

i hate the way my 45s are set up though, so hard to go through them quickly - have to pull them all out to go through. need to find some decent and cheap boxes...but alas, where would I put those?

shoebox works ok - not great, just ok - for me.

If you know someone who works in an office. The boxes that hold copy paper works like a champ and the comes with a lid.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    These are the main categories. There has to be at least a crate worth of records to justify a category. Within the categories, though, there is no further organization except for, obviously, the records that are sorted alphabetically...

records to sell on ebay
    records to sell locally
    records to donate/dump/forget about until i have to move
    no particular order (at least half of my collection)
    alphabetical (mostly standard common stuff)
    random creme (most of the big soul and jazz ends up here along with whatever else-punk, prog, other special finds)
    dj staples
    current hip-hop
    ~1987-2000 hip-hop
    ~pre-1987 hip-hop
    latin/african gems
    electronic/new age composers
    baltimore club/go-go
    70s disco 12"s
    80s disco 12"s
    house 12"s (very broad- thw whole spectrum of house)
    70s disco lps
    modern soul/80s disco lps
    45s (favorites first, but otherwise no particular order)