How do you guys organize your records?

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Record Collecting
I'm thinking of reorginizing my records again and I need some ideas besides alphabetical order. I'm thinking of seperating 12" singles from LPs. How do you guys have yours organized? Ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    spine color.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    spine color.

now that's pretty wild.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    spine color.
    What do you do in the case of seam splits?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Price/value.

spine color.
    What do you do in the case of seam splits?

split seam section, duh!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    serial number

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    spine color.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Price/value.

well, which is it?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I have zero Organization.

I go by genre, but even then Shit is a mess.

I'm not that nit picky about it. I do have a general idea to where everything is though.

• I don't own any records to organize, but if I did it would also be spine color. Didn't Evil Dee do that?

I'm a Soul Strut poseur.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Spine Color is wild. That may work if all of the spines of my records had titles but they don't.

Spine Color is wild. That may work if all of the spines of my records had titles but they don't.

uhhhh... see: title-less section.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

uhhhh... see: title-less section.

Damn that's too complicated. I need simplicity.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    not very well. they're roughly in genres, but i'm running out of space so anything new goes into haphazard piles wherever there is space to lean records.

i hate the way my 45s are set up though, so hard to go through them quickly - have to pull them all out to go through. need to find some decent and cheap boxes...but alas, where would I put those?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    1st by genre then by BPM

• genre

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I don't.
    I just have shit looking neat.

• I'm thinking of reorginizing my records again and I need some ideas besides alphabetical order.

for me, ABC order is the best way to do it, since my tastes are so diverse that there's a lot of overlap

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    smell

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Can't go wrong with the "High Fidelity" method: Autobiographical. This method might leave less to the imagination, especially to the critical heads purusing your collection. Still, the trick is to be honest.

I'm thinking of reorginizing my records again and I need some ideas besides alphabetical order.

for me, ABC order is the best way to do it, since my tastes are so diverse that there's a lot of overlap

Speaking of this...I was in a Best Buy recently where they used to have the DVDs sorted by genre (action, comedy,drama,etc.) then alpha w/in the genre. Went back, they had rearranged to strictly A-Z. I couldn't believe how difficult shopping became. It took all the fun out of it (browsing sci-fi, then horror, what action pics are out) and made it like research. I intended to buy a DVD, but left completely frustrated.

I actually do my LPs by genre (jazz, latin, rock, soul,etc) and TRY to keep the bulk of them alpabetical. My movies and books are completely without organization.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    yep.

Genre then alpha.

easy as pie.

• yep.

Genre then alpha.

easy as pie.

This and I also keep the 12in seperate from the LP's. I thought about putting the 12s in order of bpm, but its to hard with b-sides and all so I stuck with alpha.

• First I divide my records into two sections

1. Reissues jacked up to give them character
    2. Everything else

Then proceed alphabetically.

• I organize them by genre and thats it. When they're unalphabetical it's more fun to randomly pull a record and be pleaseantly surprised.

• In order by raerity.

• genre

Price/value.

This makes it easier for the burglars.
    make sure you have the price tages still on 'em too.

• The ones on top of my pile I listen to a lot.
    The ones in the middle of my pile I used to listen to a lot.
    The ones on my shelves never get listened to.
    The crates in my closest are full of Andy Williams records.

It's all very scientific.

• Rock/Psych(+folk)
    Funk/Soul
    Library/OSTs
    Rap Lps
    Rap 12"s
    Strange/spoken word/Private pressing/SUPERRAER (this is my favorite cubical in the expedit )
    Jazz/Jazz-fusion/polish-jazz
    Old Jazz (50s-early 60s)

I don't get into the ABC thing though, those categories mostly help me find a joint in less than 50 seconds.