How to start a (budget) 45 collection???

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    rummage through the 10 cent bins. Buy hundreds of them, take them home, listen. repeat. do this until you learn some shit, then find em clean.

Ditto.

Specifics to learn:

artists
    labels
    label designs
    roughly the years the sound your looking for was coming out. ex: 1968-1974
    producers
    local labels/artists/private press to be up on in your hood.

I don't know any good shortcuts around the learning curve on 45's. Lots of trial and error but you learn quick and if you have collected LP's for a while you have a decent head start.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Here are some real basic artists to start with that you can usually find for under $10 on eBay or through on-line record vendors:

James Brown
    JB's/Maceo/Fred Wesley
    Lyn Collins
    Meters
    Dyke & The Blazers
    Winstons - Amen Brother
    Funkadelic
    Parliaments (that's with an "s", Clinton's earliest manifestation)
    Alvin Cash
    Dennis Coffey
    Lee Dorsey
    Syl Johnson
    Kool & The Gang
    Sly & The Family Stone
    Rufus Thomas
    Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd St Band

Some of these will be LP cuts, some will be 45 only, but those are some of the basic Soul/Funk mainstays I think anyone starting a collection should have and show up ALL the time.

If you want a couple more in the $10-$20 range try the rest of the James Brown family:

Hank Ballard
    Marva Whitney
    Vicki Anderson
    Beau Dollar
    Dapps

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    just a general question, but what are some 45 storage options? i have a few of those mini crates that are perfect for 45's but they seem to have stopped producing those it seems.
    OfficeMax has some plastic crates that fit 45's perfectly... a bit longer than the mini-crate square joints. i can check the "brand name" if you'd like...page me.

Beer bottle 12 pack boxes (with dividers removed) are the perfect size for 45s.

peace...
    dollar_bin

• Beer bottle 12 pack boxes (with dividers removed) are the perfect size for 45s.

peace...
    dollar_bin[/b]

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Beer bottle 12 pack boxes (with dividers removed) are the perfect size for 45s.

peace...
    dollar_bin[/b]

exactly[/b]

• collectiong records for over 16 years and never thought of listening and buying 45s? strange idea...

I surely bought some 45s. But as someone mentioned already, here in Germany it??s not that easy to find interesting 45s. I lived in the Netherlands the past few years and I managed to put my fingers on some nice items there but here in Germany there are not many shops that will sell 45s anyway.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    collectiong records for over 16 years and never thought of listening and buying 45s? strange idea...

I surely bought some 45s. But as someone mentioned already, here in Germany it??s not that easy to find interesting 45s. I lived in the Netherlands the past few years and I managed to put my fingers on some nice items there but here in Germany there are not many shops that will sell 45s anyway.

Someone mentioned trading. Good idea. There are people in the US with more JBs 45s than they know what to do with. Let them go to an appreciative home, and people here will lap up your James Last & Toten Hosen LPs

• The problem is this guy lives in Germany. Now I've never been diggin there but if its anything like the UK then you won't find funk 45's in thrift shops. You may get lucky once in a while and find some soul, but i've never seen a funk 45 outside a proper record shop.

My advise would be look at what you konw already, from your Lp collection. Artists, labels, producers etc. Their maybe album cuts that you might want on 45. Use the old internet to findout if those thracks had a single release, and also check for discographies; artist and label. Chances are that if you like one release, you may like the next artist the label released a single for.

Failing that go to the funk45 site and get on ebay.

Thanks to funk45 and various compilations and mix tapes I already got an idea of 45s I like. And due to my lp collecting behaviour I am already quite familiar with artists, labels and producers that might delight my taste.

But yes, I think living in germany leaves no other solution than ebay, too.

• Someone mentioned trading. Good idea. There are people in the US with more JBs 45s than they know what to do with. Let them go to an appreciative home, and people here will lap up your James Last & Toten Hosen LPs

Howard, Udo and Mary are quite popular already

• But yes, I think living in germany leaves no other solution than ebay, too.

(Die Leute, die Ich nicht meine, wissen hoffentlich, da?? folgendes nicht gegen sie gerichtet ist) :

Really ...

the difference between German diggers and worldwide diggers is really
    that Germans are picky, stupid, arrogant and lazy as hell (these days you can surely add "poor").

Noone else pisses me off more than people from Germany looking records !!

"how do I"

"is that worth anything"

"look here what i got"

"do you know soulstrut"

"do you want to swap"

"can you tell me"

"let me listen into that thing"

"oh that??s too much"

"i have seen it on ebay"

Get the idea ?

So just get together your backbones and start carrying away piles of turkish 45??s without any sleeves to finally have your homework done !!

If there??s a masterplan for collecting you won??t understand it with that attitude "can you take my hand and show me" alone !!

Thanks to funk45 and various compilations and mix tapes I already got an idea of 45s I like.
    Uh-Oh.

But yes, I think living in germany leaves no other solution than ebay, too.

Uh-Oh.

I try a different approach, aber dass ist ja geschmackssache und eine frage des geldes. Viel Glueck but don't forget to have some fun discovering music you never heard before - raer or not raer.

• 1- Buy a portable record player

2- Buy a ticket to a US city

3- Fly out, spend time at record store cheap bins, fleas and thrifts. Make connections

4- Fly Home

5- Repeat

Research information online and through connections. Make lists. Eventually do trades.

If you choose not to do the above, you'll just have to fork out the cash in online auctions/set sales or in local stores.

Good luck

1. I already have one, 'cause you could also use them diggin lps.

2, 4 and 5. That doesn't exactly meet my thoughts of starting a budget[/b] collection.

3. Maybe I should start buying cheap indemand european records here, make connections with some people in the US and exchange things.

I did some trading with lps in the past, even on this board and it worked quite well. But I have been lazy with digging over the last five or six months. Moving from the Netherlands to Germany was one reason. Flea markets, fairs and shops are not the same in this country.

I??ll get my fingers dusty this weekend I guess. I??ll let you people know if I found something worth mentioning.

• If you find a , let's say "Tighten up" on 45, it will almost never be the original, but a europressing...shit is lame over here...trying to find rare German stuff on 45 is of course possible though. But US? I mean, i don't want to get into this again, but diggin for US Funk in Germany sucks and

I just don't know anything about rare German or even European 45s. I mean 45s of Charlie Antolini or Thunderstorm are not the rage. Mary Roos or Howard Carpendale 45s are not to hot ether. There are more of the obscure kind and I don??t want to hear any Chacachas anymore. There is some nice French and Belgian beat of course but that is hard to get anyway. Especially outside Belgium and France.

Please hook me up with some knowledge!

• I just don't know anything about rare German or even European 45s. I mean 45s of Charlie Antolini or Thunderstorm are not the rage. Mary Roos or Howard Carpendale 45s are not to hot ether. There are more of the obscure kind and I don??t want to hear any Chacachas anymore.

Genau das ist der Punkt!

There is some nice French and Belgian beat of course but that is hard to get anyway. Especially outside Belgium and France.

Please hook me up with some knowledge!

Here you see another example or MrSucker out of Germany!

• collectiong records for over 16 years and never thought of listening and buying 45s? strange idea...

Someone mentioned trading. Good idea. There are people in the US with more JBs 45s than they know what to do with. Let them go to an appreciative home, and people here will lap up your James Last & Toten Hosen LPs

To be honest, I guess the times when european breaks sold quite well in the US have passed. Even trading rare easter european jazz vinyl (one of my favourite subjects) is not easy anymore. Some years ago I traded poljazz for strata east one on one. Who'll do nowadays?

Does anyone really want some Toten Hosen?

collectiong records for over 16 years and never thought of listening and buying 45s? strange idea...

To be honest, I guess the times when european breaks sold quite well in the US have passed. Even trading rare easter european jazz vinyl (one of my favourite subjects) is not easy anymore. Some years ago I traded poljazz for strata east one on one. Who'll do nowadays?

Does anyone really want some Toten Hosen?

You'll do better than one-for-one on Polish and Turkish heat.

But keep doing what you're doing. Maybe a "big dude" will call you up and offer to sell their 45 raers to you so you can be the kerl.

• I just don't know anything about rare German or even European 45s.[/b] I mean 45s of Charlie Antolini or Thunderstorm are not the rage. Mary Roos or Howard Carpendale 45s are not to hot ether. There are more of the obscure kind and I don??t want to hear any Chacachas anymore. There is some nice French and Belgian beat of course but that is hard to get anyway. Especially outside Belgium and France.

Please hook me up with some knowledge![/b]

did you actually READ what people are posting here?

sorry, but this is a

• 3. Maybe I should start buying cheap indemand european records here, make connections with some people in the US and exchange things.

That's probably you're best bet if you'd rather not travel to dig.

• 45's was just another record, and when I was a kid the LP was the "big record", 45's were the "little record". I liked what was on the radio, 45's back then were $1.49 or less (mid/late 70's). Only on special occasions did I get an album such as:

1) good report card
    2) grandpa got paid
    3) Omama had money
    4) no cavities
    5) a lot of begging

In terms of collecting 45's, it started with a news article I had read in 1981 or 1982 about collecting. I have it in a file folder on my mailing list, but I had liked 45's, and the fact that I could find a certain record in the hopes of getting some money from it? Who didn't want that? Naturally, I wanted to get the book as described in the article, which was a price guide. It all started from there. Thrift stores, used record stores, garage/yard sales, whatever outlet is available to you, it doesn't hurt to look.

In time you get a feel for things, be it the artist, producer, label, and more in-depth such as style of printing, fonts, or the feel of the record itself.

I think focusing on one genre might be the wrong start for me.

Not exactly. To start, you may want to start out with one style of music. Depending on your budget, you can go for a wide range of music. Down the line you will find yourself wanting to know more about other styles, not only from a collector's point of view, but also to fulfill your own curiositites.

Having 45's doesn't mean every single piece has to be RAER. You're in Germany, so you should have a feel for some of your own home grown music. Do some reading, and see what records may have a demand, be it within Germany, in Europe, or elsewhere. As with albums, you will find a lot of crap, but the time and effort put into it will help you become a better collector.

45's was just another record, and when I was a kid the LP was the "big record", 45's were the "little record".

This is how my rackord lady refers to them. I like it when she says "I gadda ladda liddle ones"

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    come to chicago, rummage through the 10 cent bins. Buy hundreds of them, take them home, listen. repeat. do this until you learn some shit, then find em clean.

• I just don't know anything about rare German or even European 45s.[/b] I mean 45s of Charlie Antolini or Thunderstorm are not the rage. Mary Roos or Howard Carpendale 45s are not to hot ether. There are more of the obscure kind and I don??t want to hear any Chacachas anymore. There is some nice French and Belgian beat of course but that is hard to get anyway. Especially outside Belgium and France.

Please hook me up with some knowledge![/b]

did you actually READ what people are posting here?

sorry, but this is a

Well, from time to time. Yes.

Sure I am. I learned a lot about us soul and funk 45s here and on other places in the net, but I got to admit that I read nothing about european 45s here yet which was new to me. As I mentioned earlier I know about french beat 45s, I got a friend who collects turkish records and I know some european rare grooves aswell, but I??ll appreciate some personal advice over statements like 'buy some rare european 45s' or 'read what people are posting here'. People are not posting much about sought after european records anyway. I am sure there is more to be found than what I already know.
    Maybe I should start a rare european 45 thread instead. Drop some of those cool records I know. State that I payed 1 cent/10000 euros for this or that item. Just to proof that I am part of the game.
    But gosh, I am already game over.

(Sometimes this thing pisses me off)

• Soulific!

Check your thread out! Here are some nice european 45s you can dig, and all you others aswell!

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=507774

• Here you see another example or MrSucker out of Germany!

To me its not that of a problem, if they only tried to give something in return...
    Like I don't know alot of us shit that is classic shit to most ppl on here but i do know my library game.

I just feel too many cats wanna be instant-marcofunks (this applies too digging noobs internationally though)

P.S.: hast mir nie geanwortet ob du den mix noch haben wolltest!

• Hallo :-)

P.S.: hast mir nie geanwortet ob du den mix noch haben wolltest!

Des hab Ich glatt vergessen, hol Ich aber nach ;-)

To me its not that of a problem, if they only tried to give something in return...

If so neither it??s a problem for me ...

but on one hand he asks for other stuff than the obvious

and in return gives a listing including titles like "titanic - sultana" which is still to me if he wants to get some serious titles.

Nevertheless there are quite some amazing pictures to catch on the other ??45 thread by people who give info for free.

Libraries:
    I just scored a "continental pop sounds" on telemusic today for 20 EUROs,
    next to those Ernst Kugler ones (EUROPHON) for 1,- each

Pretty nice :-]

Off to fleamarket number two today
    Seb

• Libraries:
    I just scored a "continental pop sounds" on telemusic today for 20 EUROs
    I got that one a year ago or something when I copped 50 Telemusic lps for about 50cents a piece, including some other ill TMs like Rythmiques

Got me a nice KPM(image, brian bennett) for about that price at the marche aux puces in Paris a few weeks ago - Goodlooking out again Bapt!

Don't let them ppl bug ya or waste your time. They will have to learn on their own if they continue to come through like this...

• btw: for all german strutters - check www.kuchenplatte.de next week. those guys from discodiamant are bringin up their own record sales sunday. sellers, traders, diggers welcome.

website isnt yet up, but as far as i know it'll be launched next week.

• btw: for all german strutters - check www.kuchenplatte.de next week. those guys from discodiamant are bringin up their own record sales sunday. sellers, traders, diggers welcome.

The site looks really great !!!!!!!!!!

The site looks really great !!!!!!!!!!

ehehehe... what you can see right now[/b] is nothing else than www.discodiamant.com (hasnt changed for two years... *g*). as mentioned: check again next week for infos about that record sales day (if you REALLY didnt heard about it yet ).

buts thanks anyways

• what location do you rep hommie?