"What Does It All Mean" Sample?

goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
So, maybe I haven't dug through enough battle records yet, but can someone give me a heads up on where I might find the "What Does It All Mean" scratch sample that I hear on a lot of tracks?I just can't seem to find it.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    you are too good to be true.

• that's a serious third post.

• Not quite sure what that means, but I'll take it as a compliment...

• that's a serious fourth post.

• Doong wacka dittle borp!

No WAY that can be seen as serious!!

• start with de la soul....

• Just to be clear, I am looking for an original source (or full sentence sample) that I can use for cutting/mix tapes, not songs in which the sample has been used.

Would the De La Soul hint still apply?

Thanks.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Ok.. It seems that this is a good a time as ever.

Coming right up....

One moment.....

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    It's from an old record whereupon Fiorello LaGuardia is reading to some kids about current events. At the end, he asks them the titular question.

Don't get used to this, though.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    start with Double Dee and Steinski....

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/rock/steinski-86.php

(pretty advanced article for 1986)

• Thanks.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I think the dude really just want's to know what specific title from dirtstyle records has it. dont tell him, make him buy all of them.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    It can be found on any of those old "i love radio" type joints. Yeah, the mayor is reading dick tracy to the kids over the radio because the papers weren't delivered and then dick tracy whaps some theif over the head and the mayor says "and say children, what does it all mean?" Then he answers his own question. But I'm not going to give you his answer. You will have to find the record to find out. weeeeeee!

• awallawall 673 Posts
    "and say children, what does it all mean?"
    i always thought it was "have faith children"

all newbie clowning aside, i've always been curious as to why this strange of a quote entered the vast dialouge sample lexicon. any ideas?

• This may not be the original version but on Side 2, song 3 at the end of the song it has the phrase "what does it all mean?" It would be perfect for scratching!!!

Leo Sayer - Endless Flight LP

I doubt you'll find it in a $1 bin but you should definetly cop it if you see it for $10 or less.

Hope this helps.

~Crates

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    start with Double Dee and Steinski....

Thank you. My respect for Christgau just went way up.

Dan

SAYING!!!!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    you are too good to be true.
    I find the fact that his name is "goatboy" to be very

dude is real

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    This may not be the original version but on Side 2, song 3 at the end of the song it has the phrase "what does it all mean?" It would be perfect for scratching!!!

I doubt you'll find it in a $1 bin but you should definetly cop it if you see it for $10 or less.

Hope this helps.

~Crates

Id say thats more like a 50 dollar piece at least. I guess someone could get lucky. Theres also a ton of breaks on it.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    This may not be the original version but on Side 2, song 3 at the end of the song it has the phrase "what does it all mean?" It would be perfect for scratching!!!

Hope this helps.

~Crates

Id say thats more like a 50 dollar piece at least. I guess someone could get lucky. Theres also a ton of breaks on it.

So true, that's why his face is on the soulstrut t-shirt!

• This may not be the original version but on Side 2, song 3 at the end of the song it has the phrase "what does it all mean?" It would be perfect for scratching!!!

Hope this helps.

~Crates

Awesome i guess i got a deal paying only 40 euros for it.

• spcspc 534 Posts

Hope this helps.

~Crates

I would be careful, 40 euros could likely mean his trying to rip you off. That's like buying the Mardi Gras 12" for a couple of bucks.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I'm sorry to say that you prolly have a reissue right there. Look at the run-out groove writing and report back.

• You guys are nerds anyway. The question is: What are you going to do with the record? Can you produce a hot track? Or just simple loops and layers. Are you a real producer?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    You guys are nerds anyway. The question is: What are you going to do with the record? Can you produce a hot track? Or just simple loops and layers. Are you a real producer?

Not only I AM a real producer: I can easily tell if the piece of wax I'm listening it's the OG or the reissue. When you get to that skillz level, report back to me

• What have you produced? For who?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    What have you produced? For who?

Ever heard of "Los Chalchaleros", indie hip-hop act from Argentina? Guess who produced their first EP? Yep, that was ME. Of course I doubt you have that record, only REAL HEADZ who know the deal worldwide have it. First EVER charango sample on the history of recorded music. Now, what did YOU produce?