O-Dub made me think

1235»

Comments

• Strawman.

Who said anything about "tha streetz"?

Specious.

Whether or not anyone here (in this thread, on this board, and/or in our time) actually used the phrase "the streets/z," only fools and horses would believe that this argument boils down to anything more than people who consider themselves fans of "street" rap versus people who consider themselves fans of, um, "not-quite-as-'street'" rap.

Not really.

I'd say it boils down to a disagreement between people who recognize that radio is in the business of selling ad space and so does its best to triangulate on popular taste in order to maximize listenership, and who are not overly concerned with what the radio plays, yet also not mad at it, versus those who think it's the obligation of radio to subject the listening public to niche artists.

Eh, I'm not convinced that all of this--the rumpus surrounding airplay, sales, what people "need" or "want" or "ought" to hear, etc.--is anything other than an extension of the same false Get Money vs. Pure Poverty polarity that broadly characterizes the essential (though equally false) "street" vs. "not-quite-as'street'" argument.

Well, you know I am so deeply imprisoned within my own false consciousness that this is all lost upon me.

The only enduring gripe I have with the people on the other side of the argument from me in this thread is their fundamental intellectual dishonesty; they are not at all in favor of any sort of "balance" (whatever that may mean)--they want to see their personal taste reflected in radio playlists. That's fine, but please be honest about what you're up to and don't try to pretend that it's some sort of crusade for righteous balance. I wish New York had an all Sissy Bounce station where I could listen to Chev during any one of the day's 24 hours, but I would never pretend that my desire is simply one for "balance"; I can admit that I just want to hear what I want to muthaf**kin' to hear.

I agree with you that alot of people do oly want their personal tastes reflected. However that's what you burn mix cds for. I think people that grew up through rap in its infancy and through for the most part really just want to hear everything that's out there and give everything a fair shake.

And really if the records that are played all the time are based on payolla, isn't that someone dictating their tastes to the population at large based on the highest bidder?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i cant believe i read this whole thread