O-Dub made me think

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I would personally rather hear an 8th-rate depressed self-deprecating terd of a gangsta rapper.

any suggestions?

For weak gangsta rap or for weak self-deprecating terd rap?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    And seriously Dubious. Out of all these tracks posted up HERE[/b], point out the songs that adhere to your stereotypes...

they're all boring and self important.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    For weak self-deprecating gangsta rap terds

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    You left out the labels for the college top ten.

how about we just list the promotion agency: SPECTRE, SPECTER, SPECTRE, SPECTRE, SPECTRE, SPECTER, SPECTRE, SPECTRE, SPECTRE & SPECTRE.

You left out the promotion agencies for the Hot 97 top ten. A veritable rainbow coalition, I'm sure.

And cash money says that that's Hot 97's overall top ten vs. the college station's hip-hop top ten. I'm not saying you've got no case, but I don't think that particular anaolgy is valid.

This dude is fifty years old and he can't rap, plus he's got a little self deprecating content (Tell the truth ladies, you know that I'm cute/But what really turn you on is the rims on my coupe...):

You left out the labels for the college top ten.

how about we just list the promotion agency: SPECTRE, SPECTER, SPECTRE, SPECTRE, SPECTRE, SPECTER, SPECTRE, SPECTRE, SPECTRE & SPECTRE.

You left out the promotion agencies for the Hot 97 top ten. A veritable rainbow coalition, I'm sure.

And cash money says that that's Hot 97's overall top ten vs. the college station's hip-hop top ten. I'm not saying you've got no case, but I don't think that particular anaolgy is valid.

Would you be satisfied if he were to post the top ten rap records played on a pop/dance station, that draws from various genres?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Just to play devil's advocate here (and further fan the flames), can we get some examples of this diversity on the radio?

current hot 97 top 10:

1. Soul Survivor Young Jeezy f/ Akon - dope dealer r&b

2. I Should've Cheated Keyshia Cole - r&b

3. There It Go (the Whistle Song) Juelz Santana - dope dealer jawn

4. Girl Tonight Twista f/ Tr?? Songz - fast rap r&b

5. Run It Chris Brown f/ Juelz Santana - dope dealer r&b

6. We Be Burnin' Sean Paul - ugly dancehall dude

7. Lighter's Up Lil Kim Queen Bee - purgery rap

8. Youths Are So Cold Richie Spice - down south ish

9. Stay Fly Three 6 Mafia - down south ish

10. Golddigger Kanye West - cornball with good beats

current top ten from a certain college radio station, which i still get emails from for some reason

1 CAGE - whiny "mom didn't love me" rap

2 BLACKALICIOUS - simpy

3 BLACK MARKET MILITIA - don't know it

4 ATMOSPHERE -

5 BOOM BAP PROJECT - throw back

6 PUMPKINHEAD - rap about rap

7 J-LIVE - rap about rap

8 EDAN - future primative

9 IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE - concious rap

10 VAST AIRE AND MIGHTY MI - don't know it

which is more diverse?

I say we're screwed.

p.s. panty twisters, this was a joke

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

yeah well hot 97 is a hip hop station, so i matched their over all playlist with a hip hop playlist. i don't think the get up kids hold much relevance to this arguement.

i'm speaking on stylistic diversity in the music, not diversity in label or crews or whatever. i think we can agree that both college and mainstream are pretty much homogonized by the few promoters/labels that they consistantly back. but def jam is absolutely a more diverse label than def jux.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Just to play devil's advocate here (and further fan the flames), can we get some examples of this diversity on the radio?

current hot 97 top 10:

1. Soul Survivor Young Jeezy f/ Akon Def Jam
    2. I Should've Cheated Keyshia Cole Interscope
    3. There It Go (the Whistle Song) Juelz Santana Def Jam
    4. Girl Tonight Twista f/ Tr?? Songz Atlantic
    5. Run It Chris Brown f/ Juelz Santana Jive
    6. We Be Burnin' Sean Paul Atlantic
    7. Lighter's Up Lil Kim Queen Bee/ Atlantic
    8. Youths Are So Cold Richie Spice Massive B
    9. Stay Fly Three 6 Mafia Sony
    10. Golddigger Kanye West Rocafella

current top ten from a certain college radio station, which i still get emails from for some reason
    1 CAGE Hell's Winter
    2 BLACKALICIOUS The Craft
    3 BLACK MARKET MILITIA Black Market Militia
    4 ATMOSPHERE You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're
    Having
    5 BOOM BAP PROJECT Reprogram
    6 PUMPKINHEAD Orange Moon Over Brooklyn
    7 J-LIVE The Hear After
    8 EDAN Beauty And The Beat
    9 IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE "Bin Laden" [12-Inch]
    10 VAST AIRE AND MIGHTY MI The Best Damn Rap Show

which is more diverse?

these lists have equal amounts of shit on them.

I would personally rather hear an 8th-rate gangsta rapper over an 8th-rate depressed self-deprecating terd.

me too.

• And seriously Dubious. Out of all these tracks posted up HERE[/b], point out the songs that adhere to your stereotypes...

they're all boring and self important.

Ha, you guys are a bunch of silly buggers aren't ya...?

I bet I can uprock better than you, throw up a dope E2E, juggle some 'Baby Batter' & spit some lyrical fiyah before you blink... Ha ha ha!

Coz I iz all about da 4 elements, so recognise...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

This dude is fifty years old [/b] and he can't rap, plus he's got a little self deprecating content (Tell the truth ladies, you know that I'm cute/But what really turn you on is the rims on my coupe...):

LOL! Funniest statement of the day.

• We at 5 pages yet?
    No. Aw shucks.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This conversation is so tired.

who gives a shit about the radio anyways?

Listen to what you like.

• juggle some 'Baby Batter' & spit

Listen to what you like.

yes and yes.

And I would like to add that if what "tha streetz is feelin" is what defines your personal taste, then you may have some esteem issues.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    And I would like to add that if what "tha streetz is feelin" is what defines your personal taste, then you may have some esteem issues.

You're cruisin' for a bruisin' from the Keep It Trill Association.

Strawman.

Who said anything about "tha streetz"?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Strawman.

Who said he was talking to you?

I kid, i kid.

Strawman.

Who said he talking to you?

I kid, i kid.

Nobody.

Note that I did not ask him, "Where did I say anything about 'tha streetz'?"

And I would like to add that if what "tha mallz is feelin" is what defines your personal taste, then you may have some esteem issues.

Strawman.

I kid, i kid.

Bigger question is.... Did he just call me stawman?!? THATS AN ASS WHOOPIN RIGHT THERE!!!!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Strawman.

I kid, i kid.

Nobody.

Note that I did not ask him, "Where did I say anything about 'tha streetz'?"

If and when I need to, I would like to hire you as counsel.

• To me, it's always been about striking a balance.
    Problem is, there hasn't been anything close to one for a very looooooooooong time now.

exactly.

This is the truth. The balance is not there anymore.

Oh, jeezus, please not that hackneyed "I'm not a hater--I'm just disappointed by the lack of balance" argument.

Hip-hop is currently more aesthetically diverse--overall, and in terms of what makes it onto the radio--than it has been at any previous point in its history.

What you dudes whining about the "lack of balance" are actually arguing for is in fact an imbalance: you want to see artists that you like represented in a way that is grossly out of proportion to the interest that the listening public has or will ever have in them.

Little Brother's problem is not lack of exposure--their problem is that they make boring music that nobody wants to hear. Doom's problem is not lack of exposure--his problem is that he makes music that is really only attractive to a very specialized audience. Immortal Technique's problem is not that the powers-that-be are threatened by his content--it's that he can't rap competently.

Obviously you would just rather forget a whole era of rap music on the radio and TV? I mean you always complain about revisionist history in rap music, but in your eyes anything made before what 98, 99, or 2000 is garbage? And the argument I was trying make before passing out was simply that the balance was always there with bigger artists as well as smaller artists. Artists that sold gold (since platinum was pretty hard if not impossible to attain then), would get gully as hell but still flip a single on some more socially conscious ideas.

No one had brought up Little Brother in this thread as a shining example. And No one said that indie college radio stations are doing it right. They can be just as bad as the Viacoms, Clear Channels, and Inifity's but on the independent tip. There is no ability for people to choose what they want to hear on the larger radio stations anymore. Its not set up like that. Radio is a corporate entity made for making money and that's it. The labels are all run by MBA's who are concerned with the bottom line and not concerned about artist development. If you think the diversity is out there, you're kidding yourself. I talk to these cats at Virgin, TVT all the time and they are just trying to make the money before it all falls out. If the Whisper Song hits, then everyone is going to mimick it as much as possible until its done (ie. David Banner - PLay, and the new Busta Rhymes)... 50Cent has the most basic formula out there and he is just riding it out until it doesn't work anymore (ie. release your CD 2 times and broaden your product base - book/movie).

fanning flames

yeah well hot 97 is a hip hop station, so i matched their over all playlist with a hip hop playlist. i don't think the get up kids hold much relevance to this arguement.

i'm speaking on stylistic diversity in the music, not diversity in label or crews or whatever. i think we can agree that both college and mainstream are pretty much homogonized by the few promoters/labels that they consistantly back. but def jam is absolutely a more diverse label than def jux.

I don't know, dude: you've posted charts, labels, and promotion agencies--I'm hard-pressed to find the stylistic-diversity-in-music speak in that, so I assumed that the issue was radio play and corporate backing. I think I see what you're trying to get at, but I maintain that comparing a powerhouse like Hot 97 to Whatever U's 2-4a.m. slot (or comparing Def Jam to Def Jux) is apple orchards vs. orange peels. I mean, wouldn't you expect an international behemoth of a label (or a radio station backed by "the 9th largest radio group in the U.S") to have its interests more diversified than some fake indie? Not saying that you don't have a point, but given the disparity in the real-world resources brought to bear on the two (the two labels, the two station, and/or the two rap sensibilities) comparisons like these don't really hold up.

Would you be satisfied if he were to post the top ten rap records played on a pop/dance station, that draws from various genres?

Well, as any grown man would tell you, faux, it's not about my satisfaction.

But yeah, I think it would better make the point (which, again, I'm not necessarily contesting).

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't know, dude: you've posted charts, labels, and promotion agencies-- I'm hard-pressed to find the stylistic-diversity-in-music speak in that

well in all fairness, you asked me to post labels, and i responded with promotion agencies because i don't know what label the boom bap project is on. i was presenting the song/artist selection as evidence, the label just happened to be listed on hot 97's website, which is where i copied the playlist from. i'm not particularly concerned with the corporate backing angle that you're harping on.

so I assumed that the issue was radio play and corporate backing. I think I see what you're trying to get at, but I maintain that comparing a powerhouse like Hot 97 to Whatever U's 2-4a.m. slot (or comparing Def Jam to Def Jux) is apple orchards vs. orange peels.

but isn't that effectively what idiotproof, who's point i was rebutting, was trying to do by saying that hot 97 should be playing J-Live?

I mean, wouldn't you expect an international behemoth of a label (or a radio station backed by "the 9th largest radio group in the U.S") to have its interests more diversified than some fake indie?

yes, and that is my point exactly. i'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.

• hot 97 should be playing J-Live

Strawman.

Specious.

Whether or not anyone here (in this thread, on this board, and/or in our time) actually used the phrase "the streets/z," only fools and horses would believe that this argument boils down to anything more than people who consider themselves fans of "street" rap versus people who consider themselves fans of, um, "not-quite-as-'street'" rap.