Do you own a gun ?

1235»

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    My personal feeling on guns is that owning one is more likely to get you hurt or killed than not owning one. The presence of a gun has a tendency to escalate situations and make them worse. My dad was a victim of gun violence, though, so I'm particularly sensitive and biased in that regard.

• I feel that your implying if you like "American" music then you must accept the general moral consensus that exist within America...I disagree..

I would personally refrain from calling music "American"

Oh and while your shouting down those that disagree with you...

What ever happened to free speech ?

duke ellington never referred to jazz as "jazz" it was called AMERICAN music or SEPIA music. me i prefer jazz to the american music tag anyday. especailly considering that brasilian jazz whoops ass over american jazz!!

• I feel that your implying if you like "American" music then you must accept the general moral consensus that exist within America...I disagree..

I would personally refrain from calling music "American"

Oh and while your shouting down those that disagree with you...

What ever happened to free speech ?

duke ellington never referred to jazz as "jazz" it was called AMERICAN music or SEPIA music. me i prefer jazz to the american music tag anyday. especailly considering that brasilian jazz would never exist without american jazz!![/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    When I was in New York ???I was eating at this place and overheard a guy telling his friends a story about getting bottles thrown at him from across the street - he had a shitty day and yelled a bit and said to fuck off or something like it. What he didn???t realize was that there were like six or seven teenage boys doing it. so he got chased (the chase story was very detailed ??? I can???t remember it all) but basically, a couple stayed where they were, and as is the case in these situations, there were only a couple of hotheads ready to fight and the rest were followers. Basically this guy ended up talking the situation down. He had skateboard with him and was first threatening to smash their heads in with it if he had to, but then he saw how fucked up it all was and told them to just walk away and have a good night and have fun and not ruin everyone???s night. And they did. I think the fact that not all of them were ready for a fight helped.
    So after all this, one of this guy???s friends says ???you should get a gun???.
    How different would this scenario be if a gun got pulled? And let???s say only the guy being chased had a gun and the kids just ran off ??? next time they might be like ???shit! I might get a gun pulled on me next time I???m fucking around and some dude actually reacts and I don???t want to run away from a fight, I best get a gun too.???
    I would say, oh I???m glad I live in Canada where it???s different and it is, but things are getting totally out of hand here too when it comes to guns. It's depressing. It's a step backwards.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I just found out that some dudes were gonna attempt to jump and stab me on Saturday. Needless to say, I'm getting a gun pretty soon.

• I just found out that some dudes were gonna attempt to jump and stab me on Saturday. Needless to say, I'm getting a gun pretty soon.

Yo, WTF? Was this at the club? Be careful, Homie. And if you have to get a gun, try to go through all the proper channels to get it.

A couple of things:

1) Lumin: I am very, very sorry to hear about your friend.

2) I truly despise guns and would gladly give up any of my personal posessions before I would shoot someone. Having said that, if you were to threaten my loved ones, all bets are off. But I would never, ever want to live with the repercussions of having killed someone under any circumstances.

3) A friend of mine once said, "You know, if I really had to shoot someone, I could probably pull the trigger. But if I had to stab someone to death? No way. If there were only knives and no guns, there'd be a lot less murders." I see his point; guns give you long-range killing abilities in more than one sense. You can "distance" yourself from the act physically and figuratively. As De La says, "The gun made a man outta pussies from around my way/who usually wouldn't have a fuckin' thing to say."

4) ImperialMao: You are way off base in pretty much all your posts. Hip-hop, rock, jazz, blues...that's all AMERICAN music. You can call it black music if you'd like--even genius black music--but the "black" in that term IMPLIES Black American. Don't get that twisted. There are reasons why "Black American Music" sounds different from Cuban music or African music.

• Do people really buy the 2nd amendment argument of gun ownership? Who really believes in the days of nukes that your dinky little gun could even touch the US Army. I'm fine with discussing gun laws, but let's be real and not talk about checking the most powerful army in the world with a pistol (if anyone posts a picture from Iraq I'll be sick). hunting, protection, etc. Isn't that the real argument?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I just found out that some dudes were gonna attempt to jump and stab me on Saturday. Needless to say, I'm getting a gun pretty soon.

Yo, WTF? Was this at the club? Be careful, Homie. And if you have to get a gun, try to go through all the proper channels to get it.

Yeah, these same dudes been stabbing up cats and shooting up cars and whatnot around here. They were there waiting for me, but I didn't even know these cats were out for me like that. Yeah, I'm gonna go through all the proper channels (licensing for a concealed weapon and whatnot) to get it. Straight up legal, so if I have to defend myself to that extent, it's all on the up and up.

Basically a gang and I don't even know what these cats look like by appearance, so everytime I dj out, I'm gonna have to be watching my back.

I'm gonna try to settle the beef on some diplomatic shit, but you know how knuckleheads are...

real shit.

• ImperialMao: You are way off base in pretty much all your posts.

You may think so, we will have to agree to differ.

However getting back to guns, the one fact you can't argue with is the more people that have guns, the more that people end up getting shot.

And as for "I have them to regulate the government" if that time ever comes I'll put my money on a well trained military force over an armed militia.

I wonder how many people would be prepared to stand and fight anyway, I think most of us will just form an orderly line when the time comes for that bar-code to be stamped on the back of our heads.