Do you own a gun ?

Comments

• really all those guys showing their "guns" is

and far away from being cool!

• Speaking of... has anybody seen this? I'm kind of curious to know what it's all about.

[That's a hot link from my site.]

This is a rare documentary all about America's culture of violence; it hasn't gotten an "official" release probably due to music rights...there's an extensive piece at the end about Lennon's assassination that uses lots of his music. The movie was directed by Leonard Schrader, brother of Paul (the guy that wrote TAXI DRIVER, among other things).

• Fuck no....

I don't have a problem with people that own them as long as they are responsible[/b] about it, i.e. keep them locked up and away from kids, and have them properly registered/licensed.

They're just not for me....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The constitution does not give you the right to shoot a looter or burgler. If you shoot a looter or burgler you are commiting murder and should be sent to jail. Your stupid records are not worth anyones life or limb.

If someone breaks into my crib, sorry.............It's not about my records or my personal belongings. It's about what that individual's intentions are and frankly, I'm not going to sit there and ask him 20 questions about what those are. I have myself and my wife to protect.

You watch way to much television. Nobody wants to break into your house and murder you and rape your wife. They want to take your laptop and sell it for tomorrows hit of meth.

But like your friend says, once you pull the gun, somebody is going to get shot.

Dan

A few blocks up from my house a guy on speed and ectstacy broke into a some peoples homes, in the middle of the day, the people, HE BEHEADED THEM!!!!

I love your optimistic view but the reality is not pretty.

My point is that the framers of the constitution did not put the right to bare arms in the constitution so people could defend themselves from being scalped by injuns. The right to bare arms is there to protect the people from the goverment.

I am sorry to hear that such an awful event happened so close to you. Normaly something like that is very rare. I am surprised that not only did it not make the national news, I could find no mention of it on google. Do you have a link to a local news story?

Dan

You watch way to much television. Nobody wants to break into your house and murder you and rape your wife. They want to take your laptop and sell it for tomorrows hit of meth.

What about the people who actually do break into people's houses and rape their wives? What did they actually want to do instead?

Everyday in every city and town across America 1,000s or homes are burglerized. Almost all of these burgleries are done by people looking for something that is easy to carry and easy to sell.

There are about threehunderedmillion people in the US in any given year about .03% or the population will become victim of violent rape. Most of those victims will know their attacker. Most of those victims will be single women.

About 3% of the population will fall victim to some type of property crime in a year. Most likely related to a vehicle.

The reason you don't hear about burgleries and car thefts on the news is because they are not news, they are common events. The reason you do hear about murder and random rapes on the news is because they are news, they are rare events.

I love the fantasy of someone breaking into my home looking to rape, murder and pillage and I am the big hero because I stopped them. But the reality is if someone breaks into your home and you kill them, you just killed a dumb kid or dope fiend.

Terrible crimes do happen. Near me, in a nicer neighborhood than I live in, a school girl waiting for a bus was dragged to a near by park raped and murdered. If she had just been given a gun and told to shoot anyone who approached her this never would have happened.

Dan

• I thought you said " Do you own a Gund[/b]?"

....sorry my bad care on with your online NRA convention.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

The constitution does not give you the right to shoot a looter or burgler. If you shoot a looter or burgler you are commiting murder and should be sent to jail. Your stupid records are not worth anyones life or limb.

If someone breaks into my crib, sorry.............It's not about my records or my personal belongings. It's about what that individual's intentions are and frankly, I'm not going to sit there and ask him 20 questions about what those are. I have myself and my wife to protect.

But like your friend says, once you pull the gun, somebody is going to get shot.

Dan

my boy got murdered on friday night
    someone broke into his crib and shot him in the head twice
    not sure where you live but what you sayin definitely aint the case everywhere

• Terrible crimes do happen. Near me, in a nicer neighborhood than I live in, a school girl waiting for a bus was dragged to a near by park raped and murdered. If she had just been given a gun and told to shoot anyone who approached her this never would have happened.

Dan

The issue should be why people are more tied to their

violence fantasies/dreams

than to understanding/communicating with other humans ?

And now go back in your hurricane memories :

Nothing helps US more in such a severe situation than people "being proud" of their weapons of "self defence"

OR

US people being communicating humans ?

I have spoken with a lot of German people about hurricane aid and 100% all said the same "I don??t like Bush, US people have to deal alone with their problems".

Dan

my boy got murdered on friday night
    someone broke into his crib and shot him in the head twice
    not sure where you live but what you sayin definitely aint the case everywhere

I am sorry to hear about your lose.

Dan

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Airsofters stand up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love airsoft.

Real gunz = scary

• I guess it wasn't so recent. Just a couple of minute walk from my house. This is not all, just more radical worth mentioning.

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/l/robertlees/robertlees.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/15/national/main623130.shtml

I know this is rare but sayin'.
    I am sorry to hear that such an awful event happened so close to you. Normaly something like that is very rare. I am surprised that not only did it not make the national news, I could find no mention of it on google. Do you have a link to a local news story?

• I bet a few people here are "Airsoft"

• i'd rather get robbed/worked over than to shoot and kill someone.

i'm also comfortable with my dicksize.

• i'd rather get robbed/worked over than to shoot and kill someone.

i'm also comfortable with my dicksize.

Yeah, me too. I would hate to kill someone. I'm sure it would haunt me for the rest of my life. I'd still do it. I'm not going to ask, "are you here to rob me or would you like to rape my wife and kill us as well?" Sorry. Shoot first, ask questions later. I don't care. Don't break into my house.

Yeah, chances are it wont happen, but it's not out of the question. Self defense is not murder.

• Y'all are scared.

• Y'all are scared.

What was that Saafir line? Something like "I don't have a gat 'cause I'm hard, I pack 'cause I'm paranoid"

• spcspc 534 Posts
    This thread makes me glad i don't live in the UK...

The difference is "here" you have a choice in re. to gun ownership, in the UK you "don't"

~Crates

Yes, but this same difference is probably the reason why you have such a violent society in the first place.

Speaking of... has anybody seen this? I'm kind of curious to know what it's all about.

Haven't seen it, but you could download it via bittorrent from http://tracker.zaerc.com a few week ago, perhaps the torrent is still active.

• You watch way to much television. Nobody wants to break into your house and murder you and rape your wife.

I want to live where you live. I mean really.

A few years ago, not far from where I live, a home invasion robbery went wrong and the perps ended up murdering the young couple who were home at the time.

Yeah, it's extremely rare when someting like that happens, and if those folks were armed, it still might not have made any difference.

But at least it would have given them more of a CHANCE than what they had - which was none.

But now they're dead and that's the end of that.

I agree that the point of the 2nd Ammendment is to keep our government in check.

What I find strange is how the same people who have nothing but contempt and DISTRUST in our government would be the first ones to give them exclusive rights to arms.

I owned a couple of handguns over the years and just recently got rid of them.

I hadn't fired them in so long that I thought they'd be useless if it ever came down to it anyway.

• I wonder what American music would be without guns. Probably a lot less cool.

really all those guys showing their "guns" is

and far away from being cool!

I personally begin to understand better why beings like Bush are allowed to do politics now !

You know, with your "I don't like Bush so fuck you Americans" bullshit, you can take that shit the fuck away from here. Fuck that shit.

NOW.

Did you listen to hip-hop music at all? Or do you just see 50 Cent on the TV/magazine. Because the history of violence/guns in hip-hop goes far far further back then what you seem to be referring to. Beyond that though I am talking about American popular music as a whole, where guns and violence have always been a part. Do you like Jimi Hendrix "Hey Joe"?

• You know, with your "I don't like Bush so fuck you Americans" bullshit, you can take that shit the fuck away from here. Fuck that shit.

A bit of an over reaction perhaps ? This is only an internet discussion after all, no need to get so heated...

• You know, with your "I don't like Bush so fuck you Americans" bullshit, you can take that shit the fuck away from here. Fuck that shit.

A bit of an over reaction perhaps ? This is only an internet discussion after all, no need to get so heated...

Not at all. There's little I hate more than someone who's digging American music and culture, on an American website, exchanging information with Americans who CLEARLY are different from the bunch we've got in the white house, saying some bullshit like "now I understand how bush gets into office"

or

have spoken with a lot of German people about hurricane aid and 100% all said the same "I don??t like Bush, US people have to deal alone with their problems".

Ask yourself the same question, the fuck is that sentiment doing in this "internet discussion"?

You know what, I like Germany and plenty of Germans, I would never say a damn thing like "Schroeder is an asshat so fuck the lot of you". Fucking "Chirac is a clown so fuck yall and the deal with the riots yourself."

I posed a very serious question, which has to do with the American culture of violence and how that has affected music and songwriting. It is especially interesting considering the interest in American music from other cultures that do not have the same love for guns. This is a question for people who think. Not for people who spout bullshit like what's quoted above. Deal with it.

• I feel that your implying if you like "American" music then you must accept the general moral consensus that exist within America...I disagree..

I would personally refrain from calling music "American"

Oh and while your shouting down those that disagree with you...

What ever happened to free speech ?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I would personally would refrain from calling music "American"

Even the blues?

Is it that you don???t want to apply nationality to music?

• I feel that your implyingif you like "American" music then you must accept the general moral consensus that exist within america...I disagree..

I would personally would refrain from calling music "American"

Oh and while your shouting down those that disagree with you...

What ever happened to free speech ?

I think it's odd to see you implying that anyone on this site "accepts the general moral consensus that exist(s) within America". I don't see that as being the case at all.

As for calling it "American" music, yes, funk soul and jazz is "American" music. Deal with it.

As for free speech, I would just like someone to address the original question that I posed, not derail into political bullshit. There have been all sorts of posts dealing with our idiots in charge. As I have said previously, take that schitt somewhere else.

• I would personally refrain from calling music "American"

??????

Hip Hop, Soul, Funk, Jazz, Rock and Blues are all American as apple pie.

Edit: UNIQUELY American I might add.

• As for calling it "American" music, yes, funk soul and jazz is "American" music. Deal with it.

Hmm, a difference of opinion I would call those listed above as "black" music not American.

• As for calling it "American" music, yes, funk soul and jazz is "American" music. Deal with it.

Hmm, a difference of opinion I would call those listed above as "black" music not American.

!!!!!

BAN

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

As for calling it "American" music, yes, funk soul and jazz is "American" music. Deal with it.

so blacks are not amer...oh forget it.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

Wow...........what planet are you from again?