What's Your Real Headz Playlist-Heavy Rotation?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I mean, it'd be a whole nother thing if people actually had taste outside of what they learned on soulstrut

Have you ever heard of phish or the String Cheese Incident?

yes, this is not making a very good case for the outside

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    right, it's a bit discouraging seeing posts in the wants/trade board filled w/ albums from real headz....

I've uploaded stuff, dl'ed stuff too, but luckily most of my collecting interests falls outside the soulstrut spectrum.

• I can't utilize realheads because I use a computer at work, but I was just checking it out because I was curious about what kind of stuff people were dropping and I wanted to see what people had to say about the music. I only looked at the first page and a half so I could be wrong but it seemed to me like no one even really discusses the music at all. When the realhead was birthed did people talk about the music or has it always been like that? I???m not hating just curious.

• it's a bit discouraging seeing posts in the wants/trade board filled w/ albums from real headz....

THANK YOU

Nate, yes I know them but I'm unclear on your point - is it that life sucked before soulstrut? In that case I guess I understand...

Seriously, I am not trying to piss on anyone's party. I'm not down with Realheadz. My humble 2c.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    G. Mangione - Diana In The Autumn Wind / Free Again / Pond With Swans

Air - Sister Bessie

Roy Ayers - I Dont Know How To Love Him

James Tatum - Offertory

Cortex - Troupeau Bleu (whole album)

Future Flight - Hypnotic Lady

Labi Sifre - The Vulture

Laghonia - Im a Niger

Laghonia - The Sand Man

Tim Maia - Contacto Com o Mundo Racional

Celia- Lennon - McCartney

Lo Borges - Fio Da Navalha

Lo Borges - Homem Da Rua

Wojciech Karolak - Goodbye

Smoke - Shelda

Grupa Abc - Ill Take You With Me

Archie Whitewater - Cross Country

A bunch of Other stuff too ... about to really dig into Cedric IM Brooks

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    When the realhead was birthed did people talk about the music or has it always been like that? I???m not hating just curious.

Always been like that. This thread couldn't happen there, which is a bit

I've DLed a few, 90% are listen and delete. Not that there's not heat but it doesn't really fit my iPodless lifestyle.

I can't utilize realheads because I use a computer at work, but I was just checking it out because I was curious about what kind of stuff people were dropping and I wanted to see what people had to say about the music. I only looked at the first page and a half so I could be wrong but it seemed to me like no one even really discusses the music at all. When the realhead was birthed did people talk about the music or has it always been like that? I???m not hating just curious.

not really. mostly "thanks!" and "this is great!". dissent is not welcomed.

i don't think it was meant for discussion as much as here are raers that are generally accepted as great and are desired and as those in the special club, let's share them! that's my take.

• I can't utilize realheads because I use a computer at work, but I was just checking it out because I was curious about what kind of stuff people were dropping and I wanted to see what people had to say about the music. I only looked at the first page and a half so I could be wrong but it seemed to me like no one even really discusses the music at all. When the realhead was birthed did people talk about the music or has it always been like that? I???m not hating just curious.

not really. mostly "thanks!" and "this is great!". dissent is not welcomed.

i don't think it was meant for discussion as much as here are raers that are generally accepted as great and are desired and as those in the special club, let's share them! that's my take.

Yeah, thats kind of what I figured.

• i don't think it was meant for discussion as much as here are raers that are generally accepted as great and are desired and as those in the special club, let's share them! that's my take.
    not that that's a bad thing though. personally, i'd much rather chill by my lonesome and burn some kush while listening to "antique blacks", rather than discuss the album on a message board with you motherfuckers.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I can't utilize realheads because I use a computer at work, but I was just checking it out because I was curious about what kind of stuff people were dropping and I wanted to see what people had to say about the music. I only looked at the first page and a half so I could be wrong but it seemed to me like no one even really discusses the music at all. When the realhead was birthed did people talk about the music or has it always been like that? I???m not hating just curious.

not really. mostly "thanks!" and "this is great!". dissent dissing Bosco is not welcomed.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    it's a bit discouraging seeing posts in the wants/trade board filled w/ albums from real headz....

THANK YOU

Nate, yes I know them but I'm unclear on your point - is it that life sucked before soulstrut? In that case I guess I understand...

Seriously, I am not trying to piss on anyone's party. I'm not down with Realheadz. My humble 2c.

To be serious though, I can't believe that peoples taste comes strictly from this site.....

Personally, I was collecting records for many years before I even found out about this place. I think that is the case with almost everybody on here except perhaps............

Sure I've been put up on lots of stuff here, but we've all been listeing to music much longer than this site has existed.

However D.R. Hooker is an example of LP that I new nothing about until the "real headz" section came about. Now it's at the top of my list......

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-MODERN-NORTHERN-SOUL-FUNK-ORIGINAL-PRIVATE-PRESS_W0QQitemZ4823847172QQcategoryZ43704QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Get bidding.

it's a bit discouraging seeing posts in the wants/trade board filled w/ albums from real headz....

THANK YOU

To be serious though, I can't believe that peoples taste comes strictly from this site.....

Believe it, dude. It'd be MAD EASY to sit on here all day and wear a hole in your palm writing down names of records as a lurker or even a regular participant of this site. Some people probably just don't care enough to get out and seek on their own. Here's to hoping the fly-by-nights fall by the wayside.

• Maybe I should put myself in the shoes of someone who's only collected seriously for three years and doesn't have world class shops and shows in town and has been looking at the same EL&P and Boz Scaggs records in the one thrift shop in town. Maybe I would like the forum more then.

Honestly, a lot of my attitude is shaped by one experience: I uploaded a record and turned on a lot of heads to it, then next thing you know it went up in price by like $100. I am glad to share music but not at that cost.

not really. mostly "thanks!" and "this is great!". dissent dissing Bosco is not welcomed.

i was not dissing and you know it!

Maybe I should put myself in the shoes of someone who's only collected seriously for three years and doesn't have world class shops and shows in town and has been looking at the same EL&P and Boz Scaggs records in the one thrift shop in town. Maybe I would like the forum more then.

Honestly, a lot of my attitude is shaped by one experience: I uploaded a record and turned on a lot of heads to it, then next thing you know it went up in price by like $100. I am glad to share music but not at that cost.

Has anyone on here even acquired a copy of that record since the upload?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Maybe I should put myself in the shoes of someone who's only collected seriously for three years and doesn't have world class shops and shows in town and has been looking at the same EL&P and Boz Scaggs records in the one thrift shop in town. Maybe I would like the forum more then.

No one on here can afford it anymore

All the time I notice a record I've been needing has doubled or quintupled in ebay value since I discovered it 3-6 years ago... it hurts, I understand... at least you've got the album in question though, right JP?

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Yes.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Future Real Headz must fill out an application. The application fee is $100.

Yes.

Hmmm...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    What are we talking about here?

That Musart LP?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the main thing real headz has done for me is confirmed that im not interested in 90% of the stuff people are sweating on here and on ebay... i have yet to hear a modern soul brain melter for example...

ive filled in a few blanks in my psych game for sure .. and i've saved a couple bucks on reissues.. but believe me i aint anbodies cometition on ebay.. ill stick to my $1bin 12"s thank you very much.

additionally there's always been sources for this shit.. people were tradin tapes / cdrs / mp3s LONG before this board came into existence

anyhow for the lurkers out there:

tom scott - honeysuckle breeze go buy that shit!! and remember disco / house / italo is for fags so steer clear!

the main thing real headz has done for me is confirmed that im not interested in 90% of the stuff people are sweating on here and on ebay...

This is exactly why I am shutting that forum down. It's killing my eBay business.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I don't know man. I still hang on to these antiquated notions of research, trial & error, taste, secrecy...

I still download stuff from there occasionally. Not really into the sloppy orgy of raer that it's become though.
    it's just music, man. i mean, i hear the notion that y'all don't want rookies bidding on private/indy rares that y'all are after, when they don't even own essential shit, but chances are, these dudes ain't about to throw up half a grand and outbid you on "lanquidity" or whatever. spread love!

You know, I hate to get all soapbox about it but I actually think this is hurting the music. I wholeheartedly endorse the purchase of reissues and cds when it comes to records like the Arthur Verocai where the umpteen people who "need" the record are never gonna find it or afford it when it does come up for sale.

And I think that the forum totally hurts that, people are basically able to d/l a record and then they have it and they don't need to go out and buy the reissue or the CD. Not to mention that it totally fetishizes certain "it" records and screws up the game for folks that are trying to get records they've been after for ages and now have to contend with twenty soulstrut lurkers bidding on the same thing.

Like I said, I d/l shit from time to time. But to me, the bad outweighs the good.

It makes music "disposable"

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I uploaded a record and turned on a lot of heads to it, then next thing you know it went up in price by like $100. I am glad to share music but not at that cost.

most likely that is just a temporary spike, once the fanatics aquire their copies it'll return back to normal.

great example of this is wojiech karolak "easy", it's a $25-30 record but went up to $80 ish when waxpo did a piece on it. A few years later (ie. now), it's back to normal.

the main thing real headz has done for me is confirmed that im not interested in 90% of the stuff people are sweating on here and on ebay...

This is exactly why I am shutting that forum down. It's killing my eBay business.

What are we talking about here?

That Musart LP?

PeeEmm Reynaldo, he will tell you.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Believe it, dude. It'd be MAD EASY to sit on here all day and wear a hole in your palm writing down names of records as a lurker or even a regular participant of this site.

I think that's one of the benefits of realheadz, no lurkers. Just imagine how many google searches for realheadz have been submitted since this morning.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    My Top Real Headz Tracks
    1. DR Hooker - Weather Girl
    2. Dee Dee Bridgewater - Love Vibrations
    3. Didier's Sound Spectrum - Side 2
    4. Eugene McDaniels - Susan Jane
    5. Marlena Shaw - Mercy Mercy Mercy
    6. Chosen Few - Daniel
    7. Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart
    8. Descendents Of Mike & Phoebe - Chick Chick
    9. East Of Underground - I'll Betcha/California Dreaming
    10. East Of Underground - I Love You
    11. Four Mints - Row My Boat
    12. Gal Costa - Pais Tropical
    13. Gal Costa - Meu Nome E Gal
    14. Lost Generation - Thin Line Between Love & Hate
    15. Marlena Shaw - Lookin' Through The Eyes Of Love
    16. Red Holt - Tonight
    17. Sons Of Truth - It's You
    18. Terry Callier - Until Tomorrow

No, but honestly.. it has run it's course. There is a soulstrut room on soulseek. I feel dirty for even letting it go this long. Realheadz R.I.P.