Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Stacks,

Exactly my point. You've picked FOUR. There is no run-away favorite at this point. All Pro-GSW dudes are saying is that they have played the best basketball all season. The regular season is drudgery at times, and nobody will be watching for the entire duration of a Spurs or Grizzlies game for the most part, but they will tune in often for a Warriors game. From an "entertainment" standpoint, as well as team chemistry, the Warriors have played outstanding.

They've done some incredible shit this year in virtually every category. Not only in franchise history but NBA history.

Yall do know that I've clowned Motown, JimBeam, JP for being a Warriors fan with false hopes.

It's just very very clear, that they have set themselves up well for the playoffs.

Yuichi, the gangsta

Hey,

I acknowledged GSW's historic season in a post to Laserwolf on Saturday. That is not the point. My point is that I think the new GSW bandwagoneers need to temper the championship optimism. The same applies to Atlanta, Cleveland, Toronto, and Washington. All of these teams lack deep playoff experience, a whole different matter from the regular season. Fans were gushing over the '94 Sonics (63-19), '99 Heat (33-17; strike shortened season, 1st seed in the East), 2011 Spurs (61-21), and 2007 Mavericks (67-15) the same way they are gushing over GSW. All of those teams fell unexpectedly, and far short of the finals. They are no guarantees in the playoffs, which is why they are called 'the 2nd season.'

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Don't know if it's an age thing, but basketball is supposed to be fun too ya know.

I don't care if it's relative unknown like Stromile Swift throwing down some nasty. I will sit at the tube by myself and say "ohhh shiit". Steph Curry cross, step-back, three with a defender all over him. "gawdamn". Pretty sure you big dudes never had handles and never would understand though.

Were you hating on Jason Williams too?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Don't know if it's an age thing, but basketball is supposed to be fun too ya know.

I don't care if it's relative unknown like Stromile Swift throwing down some nasty. I will sit at the tube by myself and say "ohhh shiit". Steph Curry cross, step-back, three with a defender all over him. "gawdamn". Pretty sure you big dudes never had handles and never would understand though.

Were you hating on Jason Williams too?

What are you talking about, Yuichi? You didn't even address the point. Anyway, as it comes to age, it tends to make you more deliberate in your thinking. I did use to be young and 'jump the gun,' but time and experience teaches you to reserve judgment. That is all my posts have been about, more of a 'we'll see' attitude about the playoffs. That is where the past historical analyses come from, as it provides some rubric upon which to base my opinions (which, of course, could be wrong). I predicted that some of those teams I referenced in my last post would 'go all the way' (e.g., I chose the '94 Sonics to take the West based on their great record), only to be shocked by their early exits.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Impeccably confident player that he is, Westbrook was having none of the discussion that maybe, just maybe, having one player take 43 shots was problematic. This is what he said, after pulling ice bags off his knees and scrolling through his red cell phone for the latest on social media.
    [em]
    “[strong]I don’t really give a damn what nobody thinks,” Westbrook said. “I compete harder than anybody in this league. My teammates don’t have a problem with it.”[/em][/strong]

“It was his show,” Pacers guard Donald Sloan said of Westbrook. “(The rest of the Thunder) were more spectators than anything. In the end it hurt them because (Westbrook) was one of the only guys going. They had two or three guys who were into it, and we had eight or nine guys. It’s hard to win games like that.” [...] To be fair, the Thunder have been winning games like this since Kevin Durant suffered his season-ending foot injury in late February, with Westbrook earning Western Conference Player of the Month honors for February and March. He put the Thunder on his back and became an MVP candidate.

_________

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I agree with Donald Sloan.

Fuck me if SAS isn't sitting on the 3rd best record in the NBA.

It will be fun to see if this rested old guys can hang with tired young guys for more than 2 rounds.

Impeccably confident player that he is, Westbrook was having none of the discussion that maybe, just maybe, having one player take 43 shots was problematic. This is what he said, after pulling ice bags off his knees and scrolling through his red cell phone for the latest on social media.
    [em]
    “[strong]I don’t really give a damn what nobody thinks,” Westbrook said. “I compete harder than anybody in this league. My teammates don’t have a problem with it.”[/em][/strong]

“It was his show,” Pacers guard Donald Sloan said of Westbrook. “(The rest of the Thunder) were more spectators than anything. In the end it hurt them because (Westbrook) was one of the only guys going. They had two or three guys who were into it, and we had eight or nine guys. It’s hard to win games like that.” [...] To be fair, the Thunder have been winning games like this since Kevin Durant suffered his season-ending foot injury in late February, with Westbrook earning Western Conference Player of the Month honors for February and March. He put the Thunder on his back and became an MVP candidate.

_________

Wasn't Russell Westbrook already enshrined into the Hall of Fame? Michael Jordan showed us back in 1986 in a losing, playoff effort against the Celtics that scoring 63 points cannot overcome high-quality, team play. It's news us 'old heads' already know and understand. Westbrook's shot selection makes me cringe at times, geez!!! He makes John Starks look like Jeff Hornacek!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

showed us back in 1986

Funny shit.

I hope I'm not as overly-critical when I turn your age.

• yuichi said:
    showed us back in 1986

Funny shit.

bet me $200 GSW wins the chip

Westbrook's shot selection makes me cringe at times, geez!!!

btw, you wouldn't know cringing at shots unless you've been a Laker fan for the past decade. After a while, you develop an immunity for it, because it happened so often.

AI gets a pass for similar shit, why couldn't Russell?

vintageinfants said:
    yuichi said:
    showed us back in 1986

Funny shit.

Would this bet include a Drake autograph?

• yuichi said:
    vintageinfants said:
    yuichi said:
    showed us back in 1986

Funny shit.

Would this bet include a Drake autograph?

killer chirps bro.

would you prefer the bet be your lakers getting 32 wins next season?

• it should also be stated, in case it seems contrary....

i really, really..... really like watching the Warriors play. because they're amazingly entertaining.

not exactly a team that can get stops, but Paul westhead chipped up with the lakers just by scoring more than the other guys.

FYI, I never once said GSW is winning it all. I just said I like entertainment. The Tube is entertainment. If it were all scholastic and stats and team work, I'd be flipping back and forth between the Spelling bee, Bill Simmon's Grantland and the UConn Women's team.

• klay doing it to em again tonight huh

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Just went crazy in that 2nd quarter. 26 points more than the entire Griz team

Enjoy it while you can Motown. These suckers gonna pounce HARD with an early exit. lol

SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH!!!! BA BA SPLASH!

yuichi said:
    Westbrook's shot selection makes me cringe at times, geez!!!

btw, you wouldn't know cringing at shots unless you've been a Laker fan for the past decade. After a while, you develop an immunity for it, because it happened so often.

AI gets a pass for similar shit, why couldn't Russell?

Hey Yuichi,

I rode for the Sixers since early childhood (until they gave up trying to win over the past few years). I used to hate AI's awful shot election, so he didn't get a pass with me. Concerning your 'overly critical' comment, that is why youth is wasted on the young. Today's young don't want to hear constructive criticism, so they can't fully develop and maximize their potential. Having the ability to take criticism is a sign of character and maturity. I am where I am today because old heads schooled me and I listened, rather than dismissing their wise words. My biggest mistakes resulted from NOT heeding sound advice and analysis of my conduct.

By the way, GSW did their thing last night, and the Grizz did not control the ball worth shit. Coaches gotta slow the game down on those young bucks, or they'll shoot you out of the gym. To me, that's GSW's kryptonite. Their biggest threat will be the Spurs, who eat, sleep, and breathe halfcourt execution. I don't think any teams want to get in a shootout with GSW, that's not a winning strategy at all.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Right.
    GSW don't play any defense.
    They win "just by scoring more than the other guys".
    Some people need to show their math.

More coaches besides Popavich must know that the key to beating GSW is as simple as executing in the half court.
    Perhaps GSW secretly play defense when no one is looking and that is why "they just score more than the other guys" and why other teams can't execute their half court game against them.

I will concede. Spurs have beaten GSW 3 out of 4 times this year. So there is something to what all you all say.

LaserWolf said:
    Right.
    GSW don't play any defense.
    They win "just by scoring more than the other guys".
    Some people need to show their math.

More coaches besides Popavich must know that the key to beating GSW is as simple as executing in the half court.
    Perhaps GSW secretly play defense when no one is looking and that is why "they just score more than the other guys" and why other teams can't execute their half court game against them.

I will concede. Spurs have beaten GSW 3 out of 4 times this year. So there is something to what all you all say.

Hey LW,

I never knocked GSW's defense, just highlighted scoring as their major advantage over other teams. There are other defensively sound teams out West (e.g., the Spurs, Grizzlies, Blazers and Clippers to a lesser extent). Slow ball is the formula against GSW, grind and pound.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

GSW has the number one defensive rating in the L, nut are in the middle of the pack w/ Opponets Points Per game(which is still a good under 100 points per).

The Clippers are tryin to make a come-up.

Bout to get real. Pelicans I believe play a similar up and down tempo, but don't think they're getting past Warriors.

Memphis looks to have swept the regular season series against Portland...4-0

GSW/Memphis on a collision course in the 2nd round if both teams advance.

Houston is the wild card, IF, big if they get hot.

Don't think Clips are getting past SAS.

Wouldn't mind an SAS/GSW, West Final.

Don't know the East at all. BK upset of ATL in the first?

Cavs will get to the East Finals.

Atlanta > Brooklyn
    Cleveland > Boston
    Chicago > Milwaukee
    Toronto = Washington - Both teams need to win a fucking round.

Oakland > New Orleans
    Houston > Dallas
    San Antonio > San Diego - LAC cant get past the 2nd round, and wanna prove somethin'.
    Memphis = Portland....cant call it. Who has the most injuries?

• Go mufuggin Pelicans.

If we can steal one at GSW, anything is possible.

Injured Blazers:
    Mathews: Out, starting guard
    Aldridge: Playing with torn ligament in hand that needs surgery
    Aflallo: Mathews' replacement
    McCullum: Rising star, Aflallo's replacement
    Batum: Starting forward

Looks grim for the Blazers. I don't think they can beat the Nets right now.

And Dorell Wright, Batum's replacement.

And Chris Kaman only true back up center on the team.

I am guessing everyone but Mathews will be available Sunday.

LaserWolf said:
    And Dorell Wright, Batum's replacement.

I'm a Dorell Wright fan. Good all around swingman.
    Dude used to be a bomber in Oakland, and already got a ring in Miami.

batmon said:
    Atlanta > Brooklyn
    Cleveland > Boston
    Chicago > Milwaukee
    Toronto = Washington - Both teams need to win a fucking round.

Oakland > New Orleans
    Houston > Dallas
    San Antonio > San Diego - LAC cant get past the 2nd round, and wanna prove somethin'.
    Memphis = Portland....cant call it. Who has the most injuries?

Hey Batmon,

I agree with your picks except:

-Toronto > Washington (Toronto has more offensive weapons than Washington, me thinks; Washington needs to use their size).
    -Memphis > Portland (due to Portland's injuries; otherwise, I think the Blazers would have a serious shot).

Oh yeah, the '2nd season' is here!!! Let's grab the remote, a beer, and watch some playoff basketball!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    Toronto > Washington (Toronto has more offensive weapons than Washington, me thinks; Washington needs use their size).

Paul Pierce is gonna come in handy.