Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Read it again. Key word is Warriors.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    motown67 said:
    The Warriors have now beaten every team in the NBA and that's the 1st time this has happened in NBA history.

That can't possibly be right. The "first time in history" part, I mean. The 1995-96 Bulls, for one, beat every team in the league, and I'm betting there are a bunch more who have done it.

Maybe the paper meant first time in the Warriors history. The Spurs beat every team in the NBA in previous seasons as well.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    motown67 said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    motown67 said:
    The Warriors have now beaten every team in the NBA and that's the 1st time this has happened in NBA history.

That can't possibly be right. The "first time in history" part, I mean. The 1995-96 Bulls, for one, beat every team in the league, and I'm betting there are a bunch more who have done it.

Maybe the paper meant first time in the Warriors history. The Spurs beat every team in the NBA in previous seasons as well.

Ah, OK. That would make sense.

Chris Paul grabs Kaman's junk. You can see it at the 4 sec mark and again every time they replay it.

Kaman retaliates and loses the game for the Blazers.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Yea that play by Kaman was hilarious.

This is one of my favorites of the blatant foul series.

Turned in late to the Houston-OKC game. I don't think Houston has called a single play. EVERY time down court its Harden going one on one sometimes calling a pick but otherwise he's dribbling dribbling dribbling and all the other players are just standing around. What ugly basketball. And the commentators have the gall to say that Houston is a title contender and show that potential every game. Hero ball is the easiest kind of offense to stop in a playoff series.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Hero ball is the easiest kind of offense to stop in a playoff series.

LeBron went to the Finals in Cleveland without a Robin.

batmon said:
    motown67 said:
    Hero ball is the easiest kind of offense to stop in a playoff series.

LeBron went to the Finals in Cleveland without a Robin.

That offense wasn't as bad as Houston's Harden at top four spread out by 3 point ring every possession down the stretch. I'm talking not a single play call.

A lot of teams run the star at the top and the four spread at ends of games to get the winning shot. Houston was doing this for almost the entire 4th quarter.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Turned in late to the Houston-OKC game. I don't think Houston has called a single play. EVERY time down court its Harden going one on one sometimes calling a pick but otherwise he's dribbling dribbling dribbling and all the other players are just standing around. What ugly basketball. And the commentators have the gall to say that Houston is a title contender and show that potential every game. Hero ball is the easiest kind of offense to stop in a playoff series.

Preach, Motown, Preach!!! No one in the know is taking Houston seriously as a title contender. Tough shots like the ones Harden makes are more likely to fall during the regular season. The rim gets a lot smaller when the pressure is on in a tight playoff battle. I doubt that kind of offensive will be as effective against better defensive teams when you have to face them at least 4 games in a playoff series. Game-to-game adjustments make a real difference and, to me, this is what separates regular season and playoff basketball. It seems like prudent coaches will key on Harden and make their 'others' beat them. The question is whether their others can rise to the occasion. A consistent 'Robin' needs to emerge to Harden's 'Batman' for them to have a shot.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I'd hate to face the Spurs in the playoffs or at least hope to avoid them until later. These old fuckers are like Jason Voorhees. Fuckin inside game is old school shit.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:
    I'd hate to face the Spurs in the playoffs or at least hope to avoid them until later. These old fuckers are like Jason Voorhees. Fuckin inside game is old school shit.

:real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:

:real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Glad they finally found the On switch. They were looking mad mediocre for a while, there--that Rodeo Road Trip is usually when they start getting into playoffs form, and it didn't happen this year. Better late than never, though.

Spurs are on a tear right now.
    They are right up there with the Clippers in the teams to watch out for.

• Can't see past the Spurs.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I mean, we knew the Zombie Spurs were gonna rise. How long can they keep it up? A late-season push, plus rumbling through the western conference?

(happy my Warriors won't see them in the first round)

(but let's also be honest, last night was a back-to-back where Kerr was resting his stars a fair bit)

(the night before they put it on the Mavs who look lost as hell.)

Spurs were never not good.
    Really poured it on at the end.

I don't think Golden State will have any trouble with them. Golden State are next level. Like Kentucky. Err wait...

Spurs are still the Warriors biggest nemesis. We have overcome all others namely Clippers and Griz that gave us fits last year. We are the better team then both of them now. Spurs on the other hand is another dea.

JonnyPaycheck said:
    I mean, we knew the Zombie Spurs were gonna rise.

It will be interesting to see if the Spurs will live up to the hype they are getting here.
    Other teams are resting their starters in anticipation of playoffs.
    Spurs, who rested their starters up till now, are feasting on the reserves.

The Spurs are sending a message. They gave a good old fashion ass kicking to the Warriors. Tonight they're dishing it out even better to the Thunder.

• motown67 said:
    The Spurs are sending a message. They gave a good old fashion ass kicking to the Warriors. Tonight they're dishing it out even better to the Thunder.

they are absolutely taking the paint off of OKC.

pop says "fuck yo playoff hopes"

i don't know dude, Curry chicken was kinda ill tonight...

hold up, lemme rephrase. Dude is a mawfuckin video game.

Are there still people who don't think GS is the best team in the NBA and Curry the MVP?

LaserWolf said:
    Are there still people who don't think GS is the best team in the NBA and Curry the MVP?

Only those that have in 2015, bandwagoned the Spurs.

Quote of the night by T-Mac in his monotone voice. Responding to Shaq's comment about Michael Beasley being "celebratory".

"Yea, celebrating with 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter"

After M. Beasley stumbles trying to play defense

"Uh, what was Beasley doing there?!"

Keep T-Mac on the air. Dude got that big suit, MJ-swagger thing going too (minus rings).

This Grantland analysis is very, very good, and it comes out in favor of James Harden as the MVP. Can’t argue with a bit of it, generally.

I still think Curry should and will get the MVP, but every argument for Harden is a strong one, too.

Basically, the Harden argument is that he has dragged a very limited roster to 50+ wins, while Curry is flourishing on a 60+ win team surrounded by talented teammates all pulling their weight, too, and there is merit to that.

It reminds me, a bit, of the Shaquille O’Neal vs. Allen Iverson debate in 2000, when Shaq and the Lakers were blowing through the league to get the No. 1 overall seed, and Iverson had a bunch of over-achievers surrounding him to get the 76ers to 49-33.

The argument: If you took Shaq off the Lakers, they still would’ve made the playoffs; if you took Iverson off the 76ers they would’ve been a bad, bad lottery team.

I didn’t buy that argument then–what if you put Shaq on the 76ers in place of Iverson, would they have been bad? Of course not, they would’ve won MORE than 49 games, theoretically.

And Shaq won the 2000 MVP, getting all but one vote.

So… and these theoreticals are only worth whatever assumptions you plug into them… but…

If Harden switched places with Curry, would the Warriors be this good?

They’d be very good, but I don’t think they’d be at 63 wins right now because the GSWs are built entirely around Curry’s strengths and devastating long-range shooting ability.

And would Houston be worse or better with Curry in Harden’s place? I think a little worse, but again it’s because of style more than pure talent, because the Rockets have ground out victories this season by just giving the ball to Harden and letting him attack any alley he can.

I think it’s about a tie. And in my view, tie goes to the guy on the team about to win 66 or more games, with the higher Real Plus-Minus (OOPS: Harden just passed Curry in RPM last night, thanks to Tom Haberstroh for pointing that out), PER, who is playing better defense and who scares the hell out of every defense so much that everybody else gets open shots.

But I could be wrong. Theoretically.

Hey,

You can make a case for either Curry or Harden winning the MVP. Also, there is no question that Golden State has put together a historic season for the franchise. Yet, as discussed on "Inside the NBA" last night, I wonder how well their style play translates to the playoffs. I would qualify this notion by saying I think the concern is more relevant for the later rounds of the playoffs. As the game slows down (and it probably will with better defensive teams), can they win potential grind-and-pound battles? I have no idea, but it will be interesting to see if they have the character to match their talent. If so, they have a real chance to win the chip. I have hedged in coronating GSW as the champs having seen assumedly 'shoe-in' teams fall unexpectedly at playoff time (e.g., 1994 Sonics, 2013 Pacers, 1999 Heat, 2007 Mavericks, etc.). Oh well, all questions will be answered soon as the '2nd season' is just over the horizon. I can't wait!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    I would qualify this notion by saying I think the concern is more relevant against The Spurs.