funkyou! / funkyousounds

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    tripledouble said:

not too sure why targeted mail carpet bagging is frowned on. i guess its similar to big fishing operations overfishing with deep sea trawling and mile wide nets, permanently destroying resources for local small operations.

Sort of. But I don't see anything wrong with it at the end of the day. I have friends that do this. It is a super-effective way of digging up collections. I can empathize with people whose toes are being stepped on, but that's the game. Step up or step off. Shit ain't fish.

I'm not an authority on much, but I think I'm OK at buying and selling records.

I didn't post upthread with the intent of impugning Funkyou!'s reputation. But one thing I'm sure of is that when sub-grade records get sold for crazy prices, even when the customer does the bidding, people are bound to get angry. And pithy responses make matters worse. That just seems like business 101.

• We honestly thought we were forthcoming about the Invaders LP. We would not have come to a soulstrut forum to authenticate an LP essentially based on one person's opinion. Since this seems to be unanimous, however, we have in fact contacted the buyer and issued a full refund. We have pasted the details (with the buyer's info removed) below. So bootleg/reissue or not the customer just got the record for free, shipping included. We do not need to play games to squeeze money out of questionable pressings, and this really was not what we were trying to do.

It's true the name "funkyou!" was something I came up with when I was just a teenager. I liked it when I saw it on Don Patterson and Afrika Bambaataa records and at the time it seemed like a cool name for my Ebay ID. Now it's the name I've built my business with for over ten years and I'm not going to change it or make apologies for it. The name certainly doesn't mean we don't care about our customers.

As for our record buying practices, we are confident the vast majority of people whose records we buy are very happy with what we pay and how they are treated. It's true that we don't know everything about long-standing shops in Dallas or anywhere else, and it was wrong for us to cast aspersions on those businesses and drag them through the mud just as others have done to us. All we know about them is what disgruntled folks have said to us, and it's no more fair for us to make a judgment based on that than it is for other dealers to make a judgment about our business practices based on what has allegedly been said about what we pay, etc.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Subject: invaders
    To: REMOVED FOR PRIVACY

It has come to our attention from the experts over at Soul Strut that the copy of the Invaders you purchased was a recent reissue.

We have refunded your payment in full including postage.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks,

FY!

Refund (Unique Transaction ID # 7S1075017B951194M)
    See related 0U221151YB043951T

Original Transaction
    Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net
    Apr 4, 2012 Payment From REMOVED FOR PRIVACY Refunded
    You have refunded this payment in full.You have refunded this payment in full. Details $572.49 USD -$12.89 USD $559.60 USD

Related Transaction
    Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net
    Apr 24, 2012 Refund Completed ... -$572.49 USD $12.59 USD -$559.90 USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Business Name:
    REMOVED FOR PRIVACY
    Email:
    REMOVED FOR PRIVACY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Business Contact Information

Customer Service Email:
    REMOVED FOR PRIVACY
    Customer Service Phone:
    REMOVED FOR PRIVACY

Total amount:
    -$572.49 USD
    Fee amount:
    $12.59 USD
    Net amount:
    -$559.90 USD

Date:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Time:
    10:07:28 PDT
    Completed

Subject:
    You have sent $559.90 USD to REMOVED FOR PRIVACY with PayPal

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Nice.

Is anyone able to authenticate the above transaction via unprecedented peculiar means and methods of his own style to ensure it is not a boot?

Cheers,
    parallax

• Interesting how FU went from calling people out in his "Final Thoughts" to write a very diplomatic response and apparently (?) refunding the Invaders customer. You should have known better than to sell bootlegs and now that you got caught you should probably have handled it differently.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    nice gesture tho. alls well that ends well, i say.
    he would have gotten away with it too if it wasnt for them meddling kids

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    nice gesture tho. alls well that ends well, i say.

Good one. :lol:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Well played TD

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    funkyou said:
    It has come to our attention from the experts over at Soul Strut that the copy of the Invaders you purchased was a recent reissue.

SoulStrut - The Better Business Bureau of the Record Game

b/w

Nice on T**y!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Horseleech: Sounds like you know more than us about bootlegs, good for you.

He has been around da block a few times.

JRoot, good post and expressed succinctly the thoughts my addled brain had on this matter. Soo much of this thread is like :woah:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    funkyou said:
    Final Thoughts:

Rockadelic: Giving record buyers a bad rep? How about Forever Young, Bill's & HPB. I think the damage has already been done.

Being in the game pretty deep for 30 years you hear all kinds of bullshit about people. My philosophy is that most of the hate is based in jealousy and that's why when people came here and called you every name in the book I gave you the benefit of the doubt and defended your business tactics. You can search the site and see it for yourself. In a game where egos and asshurtness rule the day I don't believe any gossip until I witness it first hand.The Invaders auction is an inexcusable attempt to deceive and get over on people.

I have known the owner of Forever Young since the 80's and he is an honest and honorable man. I have never known HPB to lie or try to cheat or deceive their customers on any level. I don't know enough about Bill's to agree with or deny your accusations but I have never heard any rumors to that effect. I don't believe you have any knowledge of the local store owners you accused, of being anything but good business people, yet you point a finger at them in an attempt to deflect your obvious shadiness

Now, based on your unscrupulous auction tactics and your comments here I have been convinced you are the asshole many claim you are.. And yes, if you are employing these same tactics on your out of town house calls you could very well be giving us locals a bad rep.

There are a lot of aspects to the record game, but for me the most important one is being able to sleep soundly at night knowing you didn't lie, cheat or steal in the name of something as insignificant as vinyl.

Preach.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    1) I never ever prank phone called you. you must have me confused with someone who plays games. I just quietly talk shit like people who have more important things to do then deal with cocky record buyers with half ass business practices.

2) mice? your ego is other worldly. I hope you use that massive head of yours for something more beneficial to society.

3) i'm glad you checked out my music. it isn't for everybody. if you want I can make you a mix of my better stuff for your next road trip to Dallas.

have a good day sir.

• This thread is a bad look for multiple parties.

• this is just one big call for more set sales and want lists.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    It is threads like these that make Soulstrut great. Seriously, we need more beef threads. We used have one a week, now they are so few and far between it makes me wonder if people lost their passion.

I'm getting a little emotional right now from the feelings of nostalgia.

What happened to that "Shitty Hyped Private Press Records" thread from 2005?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    In a way FunkYou can be held responsible for SS resurrection. RAJ you need to pay dude.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    funkyou said:
    Final Thoughts:

Sheep: It's fairly obvious to anyone able to read that you're a Bipolar liar with anger management issues. It's really a shame that someone as crazy as yourself is even allowed internet access.

Dante: I'm glad we agree on the tiny size of your brain. Mexico City must be a pretty boring place as much time as you spend parading around internet message boards.

tripledouble: Glad you could step out of your Scooby-Doo van and put down the pipe long enough to join in.

Jonny_Paycheck: Having a record boutique in NYC must make you the authority on EVERYTHING.

Horseleech: Sounds like you know more than us about bootlegs, good for you.

The_Hook_Up: It's a shame you think the Euroman has a short attention span...but I like the picture of you smoking a cigarette in your avatar.

behemoth: Even big dogs leave scraps for mice every now and again. Nice attempt with the prank phone call, and oh yeah...your music is the wackest shit I've EVER heard.

kala: You must have us confused with someone else. We don't use the EX grade.

Rockadelic: Giving record buyers a bad rep? How about Forever Young, Bill's & HPB. I think the damage has already been done.

mannybolone, holmes, Reynaldo, LoopDreams & ost: thanks for your intelligent posts and using common sense.

Signing out.

FY!

holy shit! poast of the year... "bipolar liar" LOL

Also, local dudes have every right to be salty about some outsider mailbombing their turf... but looking at the bigger picture, that's just capitalism's piece. Monocle wearers like Funkyou have been pushing into new frontiers to exploit native resources -generally to exhaustion and collapse - since long before Edison's wax cylinders changed the world.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    my thought exactly. we can cry about it ruining our fun little hobby, but we're just hold outs from an obsolete era.

what will systemic collapse look like?!?! what will it do to soulstrut and waxidermy?

It will look like it always has. The resources will dry up. The wealth will venture on to virgin fields. The needs of the local population will be discarded. They will start to feel cheated and grow embittered toward one another. Local heads will continue to cry foul while they carry on with the old laborious ways. Paycheck will weigh in from his island in NYC. Guys like DJSheep will still get snookered, but most Strutters will remain blissfully ignorant of everything happening around them. They don't buy records anymore anyways (as evidenced Funkyou's no-holds-barred freehand takedown's of some of the board's most sanctified members - wouldn't do that to paying customers now would you?).

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    So it isn't just a given that when someone puts "We cannot authenticate this", that's it is a bootleg?

Reminds me of when the Beanie Baby market was bananas and fools were selling shit like boot Bronty the Dinosaur on ebay with details like "To the best of my knowledge, this is the real deal. It's just missing it's tag".

This thread was rad.

I'm amazed the strut got dude to step up and offer a refund. Don't see that shit everyday.

tripledouble said:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    funkyou said:
    "bipolar liar"

On the intranets everyone's manic depressive.

I never knew about FY's digging technique, but it explains alot of the anger coming from the dealers on this thread. As Johnny said other folks use the same technique: a certain alligator skin shoed strutter canvases in Africa in order to rise the cream to the top, but I don't believe he's stepping on anyone's feet when he does, in fact it's quite the opposite. How to protect the indie record store? Areito or bust.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

heads or tails son?

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    djsheep said:

thanks for the diagnosis and my new "location".

nice one!

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    SmallAxeRick said:
    This thread is a bad look for multiple parties.

This.

And if the good ol' days some people can't stop to preach about, meant having a beef thread once a week including people calling each other names, some banned and others leaving in anger - if these glorious days meant all that, I'm glad they're over. Good ol' days have never been so good as old people trying to make them look - this goes for real life equally as for message boards.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    djsheep said:
    THE STRUT'S O.G. ESSENCE IS THAT OF WHAT YOU MENTIONED DISCO_CHE!!!

Never was for me. I learned a lot about music I would have never heard of without so many knowledgeable people concentrated in one virtual spot. I guess I'm just too harmony seeking to enjoy all the beefing.

For a non-native speaker it's quiet hard to join in the fun threads because humour to me happens mostly through the creative use of language. I just not feel at home enough in english to compete with some of the hilarious posters. I enjoy them, but feel I'm a way funnier person when I can speak my own language. So, if I'm getting across kind of stiff at times it's morebecause of my school english than my actual personality.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Amen Sheep. I know that I've only been here a few years but this place has changed a lot just since I joined. There was a time when I couldn't pull myself away from here but lately I only come here for the "finds" threads. Oh and this thread here KICKS ASS!!!!