April Finds

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i like an interlude on the last song one one of the sides. the title had a cool name like when time stood still or something like that. i forget

• ako said:
    willisread said:
    february and march finds:

lazy bones isnt OG is it???

nah it's the shadoks press on black wax.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    willisread said:
    ako said:
    willisread said:
    february and march finds:

lazy bones isnt OG is it???

nah it's the shadoks press on black wax.

i was gonna say....if it was og id definitely be interested haha

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Photobucket
    Found this Cafe Jacques record today complete with one sheet and press photo

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Actually two weeks ago...

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Just back from a great week in NY seeing friends and record digging.
    Stayed in Williamsburg in a great apartment opposite MacCarren Park with an awesome view of the Manhattan Skyline.

Went to Prospect Park which was designed by the same guy who designed Central Park, definitely worth a day trip on a sunny day.

Next to the park is the Brooklyn Museum which has a Keith Harring retrospective which is a must see if you???re in the area.

There was also this funky turntable in the gallery:

As always I enjoyed the street art on show in Brooklyn:

Found some cool graffiti in Greenpoint:

Went to Coney Island and Brighton Beach on Easter Sunday. Kind of a strange place and really not what I was expecting. Coney Island itself was really run down, whilst the beach itself was picturesque.

Unfortunately was 82 days early for this historic event!

Anyway, enough waffle, onto the records.

These all came from a combination of thrifts, markets, bookstores, street sellers and record boutiques.

Not had a chance to listen to them all yet.

I???ll get some comments and sound clips up tomorrow.

All questions and comments welcomed.

Managed to get along to Frank???s legendary Afro night Voodoo Funk which was fantastic. Couldn???t resist picking up some of his reissues at super cheap prices.

Hip Hop 12???s

7???s

Finally I couldn???t resist buying 10 sealed original packs of Yo! MTV Raps cards!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    recent pick ups

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    got luck on sunday:

unfortunately could only record them and put them up on ebay. two kids and bills backing up means i cant keep what i want. had been looking for that TJ Hustler since chris first found it.

at least i found one!

...and that Birmingham Sunday is just a ridiculously good record. i cant believe i found both of them on the same day!

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts

oh 12 shaping up to be a great year with more dolla hollaz!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Breez said:
    karlophone said:

Damn Karl, nice haul! How's that Sheffield record? I have the Sheffield Drum record and I always wondered how other ones are.

sorry i havent listened yet, Breez! will report back when i do.

Plantweed said:
    Nice finds, karlophone. What's up with that Sabbath boot?

That exorcism poster is nuts!

boot is from the born again era about '80. (Dio singing, not ozzy. and its like about a B as far as sound quality. i just love that cover art.

oh the poster was inside the Rite of Exorcism LP (red cover with dudes crazy face). the poster im keeping, but the Exorcism LP is a double up for grabs btw

jinx74 said:
    got luck on sunday:

unfortunately could only record them and put them up on ebay. two kids and bills backing up means i cant keep what i want. had been looking for that TJ Hustler since chris first found it.

at least i found one!

...and that Birmingham Sunday is just a ridiculously good record. i cant believe i found both of them on the same day!

daaaaamn - nice! (and if youre not keeping it, you know the Birmingham should take care of some bills for a while!)

Rockadelic said:
    Karlophone kills it.....again

Can you pick out Jimmy Buffett on the Now Generation?

What is Hosea?

No I cant, thats awesome trivia! Actually it had 3 now Generation LPs jammed in it but as ive discovered, none matched the cover! ah well, $1 fun.

Hosea: xtian, 1978, San Mateo, CA. all i can guess is they saw "Grease" and tried to make a christian version of it?!?!? pretty hilarious stuff. "...the story includes Gomer, the wife of Hosea and the mother of their 3 children who, in an attempt to find herself and new meaning in her life, allows herself to be seduced by Baal, the self proclaimed sex god and the leader of the street gang called the WURLD ROCKERS...."

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    karlophone said:
    jinx74 said:
    got luck on sunday:

at least i found one!

daaaaamn - nice! (and if youre not keeping it, you know the Birmingham should take care of some bills for a while!)

i know... im sad though cause i REALLY like the Birmingham Sunday record. im a bay area collector so i wanted the TJ Hustler too but bills gotta be taken care of and hopefully these two will knock a dent into them! they end tomorrow so my figers are crossed!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Lot's of nice wax in this thread so far. Been busy lately, not much time to dig, so it was cool to stumble upon some old jazz and scoop it all for 20$. I like Roy Haynes dude has staying power too. The Ike Turner I've been after since forever... has this track 'I am your garbage man'. I used to play it to death in my teens for some reason when I had it on a comp.

And this came into my life thanks to Skel a couple of weeks back. Holy Shit!!

^^^holy shit!

well, the radio station record show ended 2 weekends ago. BUT, a girl that works at the station came to our house bike swap today, and she's letting me come go through everything thats left privately this wednesday...just in case i missed anything. depending on how much she wants at this point, i might really splurge and get tons of shit purely to re-sell....we'll see.

• Pickins have been kinda slim at my flea market the last couple weeks...these are the 45 highlights from April so far. Best pulls were the Joe Bataan (Under the Street Lamp is GREAT) and the Larks (very good 2-sider), The Brothers is rare gospel/modern soul/funk, everything I find by Denise LaSalle on Westbound is superb (need to find those LPs!), also feelin' the Natural Four even though I usually don't dip too far into the 70s. Finding copies of Liar Liar & 96 Tears that aren't trashed is tough so these were nice cheapo pulls as well.
    Attached files

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Lot's of nice wax in this thread so far. Been busy lately, not much time to dig, so it was cool to stumble upon some old jazz and scoop it all for 20$. I like Roy Haynes dude has staying power too. The Ike Turner I've been after since forever... has this track 'I am your garbage man'. I used to play it to death in my teens for some reason when I had it on a comp.

And this came into my life thanks to Skel a couple of weeks back. Holy Shit!!

Stark Reality....I love it!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Whilst in the middle of buying a brand new 2nd hand stereo and boxes last weekend, i noticed some crates with records at the seller's house.
    I asked if i could take a look, which was no problem, and ended up offering him $60 for 35 (cherry picked) records of his - small but in good condition -modern boogie/rap/disco collection. He gladly accepted. This was amongst the lot.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Nice !!!

InnerSpace said:

wow! Andromeda is tight! killllllllerrrrr track, thanks for sharing

got to go back to the basement of the radio station today and dig through EVERYTHING solo. paid my $60 and got outta there....80% of the 45 stack is motown/tamla/soul/gordy WLP 45s i ignored during the show...yes the soul fever is CLEAN. replacing my thrashed copy! record spoiled for life.

two more finds today...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Awesome psych/funk OST with an early version of Azymuth, Joyce, Wilson Das Neves etc:

(Thanks to a kindly Strutter for the hookup.)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ^^^^nice one!

wow that sounds awesome...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

i found this at a thrift today, but don't have a turntable to play it. anyone know what it sounds like? any good?

i vaguely recall that having some heat/break/loop
    what you doing without a turntable??!!?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i vaguely recall that having some heat/break/loop
    what you doing without a turntable??!!?
    on the road maygne