April Finds

HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Pretty quiet for me lately, but here are a few recent grips:

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

some long time wants finally all showed up

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    nice find on the Jo??o Donato! wondering about the Sanders, the copy I had was not blue but brown - curious if they came out the same time, place, etc

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeaaaah, those are some big dog pieces of record right there. mirlos is cumbia?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    pcmr said:

Damn, what's up with all the Har-You's popping up lately?! Are these NY finds? Who was it that pulled a sealed one not too long ago?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    local radio station is JUST NOW getting rid of their vinyl. picked everything in this photo up for $45 last night, got another stack waiting there today. havent been through the 45s or 12"s yet. stoked to finally have a lot of this stuff.

by the way that HAZE lp is for sale if anybodys interested. the cover is water damaged but the disc is basically unplayed.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Hey, its ako! and WOW...what a haul! Did you get the severed hand from the radio station too?

nah, thats been making the round at my house. the stack thats still at the show is primarily obscure 60s/70s rock acts and 60s/70s jazz i'd been neglecting. the first 45 box i went through was ALL WLP motown....im excited to see whats in the other 10 boxes of 45s. probably some iowa punk stuff i can sell my friend for a 100000% mark-up...haha

• crazy come ups!

ako, if you want to sell or trade byard lancaster, lee gagnon, magic of juju or ramp holler at me..

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Gadzooks Ako!

magic of juju turned out to be a 70s ABC/impulse pressing....but the rest are OG. i'll let you know whats up!

by the way, picked up 91 more records today. i'll get a pic up after i work on my motorcycle a little bit haha

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Ako, you drink beer and work on motorcycles in your living room, don't you?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    And tuck bodies under the couch, albeit not very well.

yo what the helllll, is the station run by meth heads???! how could they possibly be straight up giving shit away in this day and age? anyway, more power to you buddy, i bet you were getting chills at each crate and pinching yourself to make sure the shit wasnt a dream or a prank.

if the headless heroes is smashed, holler cause i need a cover!!

is that skull thing the Loudermilk LP? i dont remember it being good, but let me know if you hear something cool on it.
    the melvin sparks 75 is a gem. great comeups!! keep posting pics!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    ako said:
    the stack thats still at the show is primarily obscure 60s/70s rock acts and 60s/70s jazz i'd been neglecting.
    For 50 ct. a piece plus the doubles you could sell i'd say take the risk! Congrats man!

ako...whats the moustachio dude right next to fredie hubbard and uncle shelly?

crabcrab...how is that lee gagnon? jeremie moves?

the mustache dude and the black and white one after it are both Shel Silverstein lps...

yeah man. the dudes running the sale are younger than me and dont know shit about music. they were flipping out about finding the first king crimson album and some eddie murphy shit. today when i looked through all the 45 crates i was literally one of TWO dudes checking them out of the like, 30-35 people in the room. it was insane.

i'll post a pic in a second of todays finds. not as exciting. invited my dad up and he pulled "things we like" which has been a white whale of mine for years!!! cant believe i missed it yesterday somehow. anyway i told him if he doesnt dig it i'm his dude. i dont know why that thing has been so impossible for me to locate. ive only wanted it for 12 years....

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    yo what the helllll, is the station run by meth heads???! how could they possibly be straight up giving shit away in this day and age? anyway, more power to you buddy, i bet you were getting chills at each crate and pinching yourself to make sure the shit wasnt a dream or a prank.

is that skull thing the Loudermilk LP? i dont remember it being good, but let me know if you hear something cool on it.

yeah i thought radio station scores were a thing of the past. glad i'm wrong.

todays haul. sorry for the terrible pic but my cameras broken...gotta use my phone.

im unfamiliar with a handful of this stuff, and even moreso with the 45s, but taking chances is easy when its 50 cents a pop. got some promo copies of stuff i already had, which was cool.

45s:
    The Houserockers - Watch out Love / Peace of Mind (Heavy)
    Sharon Ridley - Stay a While with me / When a Woman Falls in Love (Phil-L.A. of soul)
    Sly & The Family Stone - Runnin' Away / Same (Epic)
    The Messengers - Midnight Hour / Hard Hard Year (USA)
    Stoney & Meatloaf - What you See is What you get / Same (Rare Earth)
    Etta James - You Got It / Same (Cadet)
    Augustus Pablo - Baby I Love You So / King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown (Mango)
    Frankie Stein - Frankenboogie / All She Wants to do is Boogie (King)
    Larry Williams and the ATS Express - One Thing or the Other Pt. 1 / Same (Fantasy)
    Curtis & Wargo - Turntable Lady / Same (Farr)
    Hot Jam - Stormy Monday / Tobacco Road (Sun Dyl)
    Zen - Wayfaring Stranger / Get Me Down (Pip)
    Messengers - That's the Way a Woman is / In the Jungle (Rare Earth)
    West Minist'r - Mr. Fingers / My Life (Magic)
    West Minist'r - Bright Lights, Windy City / Carnival (Razzberry)
    The Do's and Don'ts - Be Sure / Still Remember the Past (Zorch)
    Mike Boyd - Time Wounds all Heels / The Leaving Was Easy (Claridge)
    Herman Kelly & Life - Dance to the Drummer's Beat / Same (Alston)
    S.O.U.L. - Rope-a-Dope / I Need Somebody to Love (Dynamo)
    Don Lee Wilson - Feel so Fine / Angel (Imperial)
    The Groop - Nobody at All / The Jet Song (Bell)
    P-Nut Gallery - Do You Know What Time it is? / Same (Buddah)
    Dexter Wansel - Life on Mars Pt. 1 / Same (Philadelphia International)
    Spencer Barefoot - Lord / Makin' My Way (Life)
    Dyke and the Blazers - Shotgun Slim / We Got More Soul (Original Sound)
    The Rattles - Geraldine / The Witch (Probe)
    Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg - Jane B. / Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus (Fontana)
    James Brown and the Famous Flames - Don't Be a Drop Out / Same (King)
    Sweet Music - I Get Lifted / Same (Wand)
    Jeff Cahn - You're My Lady / Same (Bryan)
    Kendrew Lascelles - The Box / When all the Laughter Dies in Sorrow (Mediarts)
    Terry Weiss - Keep on Pushin' Your Love / Same (Platinum)
    The Delfonics - When you get Right Down to it / Same (Philly groove)
    Lyn Christopher - Siren of the Sea / Harmony (Granite)
    Too Smooth - Song for the World / Same (Buddah)
    Dooley Silverspoon - Bump Me Baby Pt. 1 / Pt. 2 (Cotton)
    Maybelle & Burley Trio - Wandering Soul / Are You Ready (Gospel Sound)
    Casey and the Pressure Group - Powerhouse / Soul Tango (Wizdom)
    Beginning of the End - Funky Nassau Pt. 1 / Pt. 2 (Alston)
    The Winstons - Amen Brother / Color him Father (Metromedia)
    The Hardy Boys - Sink or Swim / Love and Let Love (RCA)
    Phil Medley & The M.V.B. Orchestra - Snap it / Same (Pyramid)
    Rare Bird - Sympathy / Beautiful Scarlet (Probe)
    Mac & Katie Kissoon - Sugar Candy Kisses / Same (MCA)
    Roy Ayers Ubiquity - 2000 Black / The Way of the World (Polydor)

maru said:
    tripledouble said:

yeah i thought radio station scores were a thing of the past. glad i'm wrong.

exactly! thats why i was flipping out. i actually did pinch myself last night to confirm it wasnt a dream. pulling headless heroes and ramp out of boxes for 50 cents a pop, with only ONE other dude in the room, at around midnight. it was surreal.

that rattles 45 is insane. i knew i'd heard of it, but god damn.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    glad you got these..now make more great beats!
    that 45 is great
    you would think a 50c radio sale would be awesome enough...but headless hero it seems like a dream...happy for you

yeah mirlos is peruvian cumbia and that cover is also black but i've never seen the brown!
    that release just seems to have a mystique about it

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    tripledouble said:

is that skull thing the Loudermilk LP?
    It's Archie Shepp

pcmr said:
    glad you got these..now make more great beats!

wayyy ahead of you. starting on this...

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    tripledouble said:

No, much more on the Jazzzz tip.

Lotsa nice Pharoah in the haul, and probably clean.

LoopDreams said:
    tripledouble said:

No, much more on the Jazzzz tip.

Lotsa nice Pharoah in the haul, and probably clean.

MINT!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Some long-time wants crossed off the list! Although I could probably use an upgrade on the Awakening.

• Breez said:
    pcmr said:

Damn, what's up with all the Har-You's popping up lately?! Are these NY finds? Who was it that pulled a sealed one not too long ago?

That was me who found that sealed Har-You LP. It's a LP that was out of New York City so it's not impossible for copies to turn up in the Tri-State area.

Here are my latest cheap real world finds.

This is my second copy of Lyman Woodard I found in the field. 2012 is still doing it for me with the come ups!

final finds from the record show. still going on til 5 today but im bored of looking through boxes ive been through a few times already. surprised i missed that syl the first time through! $2 total of course.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    ako said:
    local radio station is JUST NOW getting rid of their vinyl. picked everything in this photo up for $45 last night, got another stack waiting there today. havent been through the 45s or 12"s yet. stoked to finally have a lot of this stuff.

by the way that HAZE lp is for sale if anybodys interested. the cover is water damaged but the disc is basically unplayed.

Damn Ako even my dreamworld finds have rinked records and LPs in the wrong sleeves, and never this kind of depth...