April Finds

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    nevermind. went back and scooped about 45 more records, primarily obscure rock id never heard of and a few more gems i managed to skip past. my friend traded buying me all those records for that Luxury LP i got earlier at the show (rare early 80s des moines power-pop)...so sick. but the show is officially over. i will never forget it. instant collection.

Humanacat said:
    ako said:
    local radio station is JUST NOW getting rid of their vinyl. picked everything in this photo up for $45 last night, got another stack waiting there today. havent been through the 45s or 12"s yet. stoked to finally have a lot of this stuff.

by the way that HAZE lp is for sale if anybodys interested. the cover is water damaged but the disc is basically unplayed.

Damn Ako even my dreamworld finds have rinked records and LPs in the wrong sleeves, and never this kind of depth...

if it makes you feel any better, 3 of the records i wasnt that amped on in the first place ended up being the wrong records....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    ako said:
    nevermind. went back and scooped about 45 more records, primarily obscure rock id never heard of and a few more gems i managed to skip past. my friend traded buying me all those records for that Luxury LP i got earlier at the show (rare early 80s des moines power-pop)...so sick. but the show is officially over. i will never forget it. instant collection.

You gotta steal, that Luxury record is turrible.

among the highlights of the last haul (cant believe i almost missed some of this stuff....) :

and many more, lots of which forgettable early 70s obscure rock i'll probably unload on ebay or something. good soul stuff too i needed. unfortunately the yesterday's children is in a white sleeve with "yesterday's children" scribbled on the front, but the LP is in nice shape, so i cant complain.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    sweet. is that the lottie golden promo in the first pic? i just found that recently and like it much.

sell what you dont like and get a new carpet!!

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Butts Band- Hear and Now
    Sonny Sharrock- Black Woman
    Drum Drops- Vols. 1-3
    John Keating-Space Experience (dope shit to sample)
    William B. Tanner- The Cat (Some kind of library record. Brock's Muffler Shop in San Angelo, Texas had an ill song on their commercial bitd.)
    Elaine Brown-s/t?
    Roy Burns-Drum Set Artistry
    Barbarell OST
    Emil Richards-New Time Element( Cool cover of "Sunny".)
    K-Tel- Superbad (couldn't pass it up)

half of those def shouldnt be in the dollar bins
    sonny sharrock!? what bins are these?

tripledouble said:
    sweet. is that the lottie golden promo in the first pic? i just found that recently and like it much.

sell what you dont like and get a new carpet!!

yep, advance copy of motor-cycle

yeah our landlord definitely need to replace that shit. luckily the carpet in my room is flawless. many a wild party has been had in that living room.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

the Bobby Gregg was an ebay $9 buy-it-now score. total roadhouse R&B guitar shredder! hear/DL it here:

http://www.divshare.com/download/16915635-be6

Men from Macon is also a mailbox find and such a killer track, hard psych soul. hear that one here:

http://georgiasoul.com/sounds/blog/menfrommacon.mp3

Steve Walker & the Bold was a huge want, local garage raver from '66. hear it::

Chris Clark came from a local fair, really cool tune from her, cover of a Miracles song written by Smokey Robinson:

also, from the local swap, the only LP I bought there but man was I psyched - EXC/EXC original German press:

German press is far more common than the UK, but I have wanted a vintage press of this with the original cover for years and years, and this one looks unplayed and was priced very reasonably. FILED FOR LIFE.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    ako,

all this in Iowa City? Nice.

And that pic kills me... all the beer cans. Haha. I miss those days.

• pcmr said:

Here are my latest cheap real world finds.

Is that not what this thread is about?
    Do people put internet purchases up in here?

BallzDeep said:
    ako,

all this in Iowa City? Nice.

And that pic kills me... all the beer cans. Haha. I miss those days.

ames actually...havent lived in iowa city since 2008

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Congrats to Ako, thats a perfect of example of right guy getting the right stuff, for the right price!

Me, ive been digging through a 15,000 LP collection in a warehouse since early Feb, and finalyl got thru the LPs last week. literally 30+ skids piled high each with about 25 mail totes full of LPs. insane variety, heavy on multiples, lots of shit mixed in like bad easy listening (picture a whole box of multiples of Johnny mathis for example), and such but also tons and tons and tons of cool stuff id simply never ever seen before, in every genre, jazz, soul, rock, blues, country, comedy, soundtracks, even some rap and other new type stuff i didnt have or had never seen. Everything was $1, $2, or $5 depending on whether the guy knows it or thinks it shit (and boy is he wrong at times), or if the record is in off condition. also some random acetates and even a rare 'thick' edison record (seen below). Note there are over 100 pictures coming, so allow some time to load up here. sorry!

theres also at least 400 full boxes of 45s too, havent really touched that yet, but i did dabble around the edges and some results are mixed in below.

^^ after bitching about Tom Scott in the SoulStrut 100 thread never showing up for me in 15 years, i felt if it was gonna turn up it would be in this collection... and it was. $2 mint.

also thanks to Jonny in NYC i finally have the 3rd Chocolate Watchband LP on Tower. completing that trifecta took 10 years.

yow. so what do i have to do to get that esg off of you?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Ako - do you live in Ames? One of my best friends lives up there and I get through there sometimes. Too bad I didn't get through for the record sale!!
    JRoot

• february and march finds:

img src="Untitled" alt="" />

lots of long time wants hard filed. about a third of these are 70s Japanese presses...the Rodriguez is the South African press with the Sussex label...the baden powell is late 60s/early 70s french press...the barretto is a venezuelan press...the lula, bobby hamilton 5 and hilton felton are newer reishes.

i was about to say! if those were all ogs it would be yet another :game_over: in this thread. nice batch!

karlo, thanks for sharing! that must have taken work to photograph on top of the work you put in on the skids. im still waiting for when you open a record shop! holler if the unobstructed universe is a double. been looking for a decent copy of that for a bit

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    willisread said:
    february and march finds:

lots of long time wants hard filed. about a third of these are 70s Japanese presses...the Rodriguez is the South African press with the Sussex label...the baden powell is late 60s/early 70s french press...the barretto is a venezuelan press...the lula, bobby hamilton 5 and hilton felton are newer reishes.

That Lula Cortez LP is killer!

• exte82 said:
    willisread said:

That Lula Cortez LP is killer!

Truth spoken. It's a dope record....I think I'm gonna pick up the satwa album as well.

willisread said:

lazy bones isnt OG is it???

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dolla dolla bin yall

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

This is a much better record then the Sweet Unit LP and the other Rock Of Ages. I had no clue that there was a connection between the two bands

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Karlophone kills it.....again

Can you pick out Jimmy Buffett on the Now Generation?

What is Hosea?

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Nice finds, karlophone. What's up with that Sabbath boot?

That exorcism poster is nuts!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    karlophone said:

Damn Karl, nice haul! How's that Sheffield record? I have the Sheffield Drum record and I always wondered how other ones are.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    whoa Karl & Ako, crazy stuff.

• anyone know the 1st one, ungoogleable private jazz in homemade sleeve, starts spiritual then gets a bit jazzfunk. probable africian-american convert to islam, tough google territory. this sounds like it could be big to japanman or jazzman gerald types. 2nd is us army jazzfunk i've had once before. found lots more metal, aor, brazilian, soul 45s though nothing terribly exciting

• crashcourse said:

anyone know the 1st one, ungoogleable private jazz in homemade sleeve, starts spiritual then gets a bit jazzfunk. probable africian-american convert to islam, tough google territory. this sounds like it could be big to japanman or jazzman gerald types. 2nd is us army jazzfunk i've had once before. found lots more metal, aor, brazilian, soul 45s though nothing terribly exciting

"The Ron Everett LP that I wrote about in Wax Poetics has never shown up outside of my lone copy." -dante
    schooled. should of known dante had it.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    So Karlophone and Ako got me jonesin' with their sick finds and I excurse'd on excursions. Flea market had some decent 45s all under 5 most for a dollar and all clean copies. Rocked out some late morning thrift store dollar bins and got lucky with Lightnin' Rod and Clea Bradford which has a very decent version of summertime among other nice tracks. Jane and wreckless were from a dealer but very fairly priced.

These are some of the highlights.

Sir Joe was not in the field but, I was forced to splurge but sometimes you gotta. Still sealed, so i nervously cracked it open and beautiful piece of wax was revealed!

crashcourse said:

anyone know the 1st one, ungoogleable private jazz in homemade sleeve, starts spiritual then gets a bit jazzfunk. probable africian-american convert to islam, tough google territory. this sounds like it could be big to japanman or jazzman gerald types. 2nd is us army jazzfunk i've had once before. found lots more metal, aor, brazilian, soul 45s though nothing terribly exciting

i have that session LP. i think i needledropped it when i got it a billion years ago, and never touched it again. maybe i'll pull it out and give it another shot.