A soulstrut original: Madlib Appreciation thread !

Comments

• SteepSteep 31 Posts

That Madlib beat whit Dilla rhyming at the end is supreme, high, rockin, perfection.

1000 More Madlib Albums!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Dude is also criminally good at keeping his Medicine Show stuff OUT of the blogosphere.
    Not sure if thats him or just Stones Throw though....

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    Dude is also criminally good at keeping his Medicine Show stuff OUT of the blogosphere.
    Not sure if thats him or just Stones Throw though....
    it's PBW himself
    watch this one disappear

who heard #12 ?

• WTF was that trojan bullshit? really dude? really?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    what ?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    i recently picked up my first mad lib release-the future adventures of lord quas on cd for 50 cents.
    and I gotta say it's fucking great,esp for someone like me w/ a short attention span.
    i know i slept too long on otis' stuff

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    *clears throat*
    this is happenning now

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Oh snap, Blackalicious sample rework

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    yup

• this dude is UNBELIEVABLE wack. dropped that ball hard with that Trojan re-edit bullsh*t not that the concept of that album was even a good idea in the first place.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    That Victory Laps is terrible, it's like Madlib decided Cheif X-Cel's beat was too funky and he needed to make a sh*t version that wouldn't overshadow the weak rapping.

I like this and the other beats on the single though:

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

picoandsepulveda said:
    this dude is UNBELIEVABLE wack.
    :cry:

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

Madvillain - Madvillainy (Samples Mix) by Boom Bap Beatnik on Mixcloud

01 Contrast ['The Illest Villains']
    By Sun-Ra and his Astro Infinity Arkestra

02 Beach Trip ['The Illest Villains']
    By Morton Stevens

03 "Don't touch that..." ['The Illest Villains']
    By Frankenstein (1931)

04 "What's the matter..." ['The Illest Villains']
    By The Wild One (1953)

05 "Doctor, please help me..." ['The Illest Villains']
    By I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957)

06 "Your mother was the lightning..." ['The Illest Villains']
    By The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)

07 Experience ['Accordion']
    By Daedelus

08 Sleeping in a Jar ['Meat Grinder']
    By Frank Zappa

09 Hula Rock ['Meat Grinder']
    By Lew Howard & The All Stars

10 Second to None ['Bistro']
    By Atlantic Starr

11 "How do you do?" ['Bistro']
    By Casablanca (1942)

12 Nardis ['Raid']
    By Bill Evans Trio

13 Am??rica Latina ['Raid']
    By Osmar Milito & Quarter Forma

14 Computer Games ['Raid']
    By George Clinton

15 In the Rain ['America's Most Blunted']
    By The Dramatics

16 Atlantis ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Sun Ra

17 Come Out ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Steve Reich

18 Listening to Music ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Jack Margolis & Jere Alan Brain

19 Ninety-Nine and One-Half ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Fever tree

20 Blunted ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Phil da agony

21 Sayin' Somethin' ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Edo G

22 Let's Get Dirty (I Can't Get In Da Club) (Acapella) ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Redman

23 Spontaneous (13 MC's Deep) ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Leaders Of The New School

24 React (feat. Quasimoto) ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Jaylib

25 Acting Out the ABC's ['America's Most Blunted']
    By Teri York

26 Creativity ['America's Most Blunted']

27 Physical Effects ['America's Most Blunted']

28 Family Affair ['Sickfit']
    By The Generation Gap

29 Kelly ['Rainbows']
    By William Loose, Stu Phillips, Marvin Elling

30 Blues and Pants ['Rainbows']
    By James Brown

31 Psycho Brahmin ['Rainbows']
    By Paul Sawtell & Bert Shefter

32 Airport Love Theme ['Curls']
    By Waldir Calmon

33 Thriller ['Do Not Fire!']
    By Michael Jackson

34 Chun-Li vs. Dhalsim ['Do Not Fire!']
    By Street Fighter II (1991)

35 Mithi Mithi Ankhiyon Se Dil Bhar De ['Do Not Fire!']
    By Kishore Kumar-Asha Bhosle

36 "Duel to the death..." ['Money Folder']
    By The Raven (1963)

37 Hindu Hoon Main Na Musalman Hoon ['Shadows of Tomorrow']
    By KISHORE KUMAR

38 Sun Ra's Introductory Speech from Space Is the Place (1974) ['Shadows of Tomorrow']
    By Sun Ra

39 Prepare Yourself ['Operation Lifesaver AKA Mint Test']
    By George Duke

40 The Theme of the Justice League of America ['Operation Lifesaver AKA Mint Test']
    By Tifton Records

41 P.S.K. (What Does It Mean) ['Operation Lifesaver AKA Mint Test']
    By Schoolly D

42 Double Barrel ['Operation Lifesaver AKA Mint Test']
    By Dave & Ansil Collins

43 Jeannine ['Figaro']
    By Lonnie Smith

44 In the Beginning ['Figaro']
    By Lonnie Smith

45 Sing a Simple Song (Mono Mix) ['Hardcore Hustle']
    By The Supremes & the Temptations

46 Funny Ways ['Strange Ways']
    By Gentle Giant

47 "But I carried on!" ['Strange Ways']
    By Symphony in Slang (1951)

48 That Ain't the Way You Make Love ['Fancy Clown']
    By Z.Z. Hill

49 So Good ['Eye']
    By The Whispers

50 Cold Gettin' Dumb ['Supervillain Theme']
    By Just-Ice

51 Adormeceu ['Supervillain Theme']
    By O Ter??o

52 Bumpin' Bus Stop ['All Caps']
    By Thunder and lightning

53 Excerpt from "Up Down and Even" ['All Caps']
    By Ironside (1969)

54 How Can You Believe ['Great Day']
    By Stevie Wonder

55 Making Love ['Rhinestone Cowboy']

56 Molambo ['Rhinestone Cowboy']
    By Maria Bethania

57 Mariana, Mariana ['Rhinestone Cowboy']
    By Maria Bethania

Not a great listen per say but quite a good reminder of how nontrivial this album was

he didn't list those Sickfit bells though

• when the album came out, madlib made a statement, to paraphrase, that posting sample mixes of madvillainy was detrimental to releasing the type of music he makes. glancing over that list, i know that george clintons publisher and thunder and lightning's heir are currently agressively pursing lawsuits against hip hop artists who sampled the music they represent without clearances, including against hip hop albums that have been out for a while. without a doubt, those types of mixes are really interesting to me. i just personally wouldnt want to post that kind of thing on the web where people who are looking for artists to sue can easily find that info. i can live without the mix if it harms the artist.

• futurefuture 8 Posts
    Love his killa remix of young warriors:

Bobby Humphrey -- Young Warrior (Madlib Remix)

ps: again what's with the preview? video shows up as a blank space when I try to embed. I don't get it. I'm noobin out here!

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    DjWillderness said:
    when the album came out, madlib made a statement, to paraphrase, that posting sample mixes of madvillainy was detrimental to releasing the type of music he makes. glancing over that list, i know that george clintons publisher and thunder and lightning's heir are currently agressively pursing lawsuits against hip hop artists who sampled the music they represent without clearances, including against hip hop albums that have been out for a while. without a doubt, those types of mixes are really interesting to me. i just personally wouldnt want to post that kind of thing on the web where people who are looking for artists to sue can easily find that info. i can live without the mix if it harms the artist.
    Madvillainy is almost 10 years old
    If Stones Throw should have been sued for uncleared samples on this album it would have already happened
    and it was originally posted on a website that I'm willing to think has a lot more traffic than the soul strut message board thread were I'm the sole contributor. ha
    the George Clinton sample is awesome though! a buddy of mine showed it to me a couple years ago and I was like
    this dude...
    I would be amused if Clinton were to sue over that though

• Madvillainy is almost 10 years old
    If Stones Throw should have been sued for uncleared samples on this album it would have already happened
    and it was originally posted on a website that I'm willing to think has a lot more traffic than the soul strut message board thread were I'm the sole contributor. ha
    the George Clinton sample is awesome though! a buddy of mine showed it to me a couple years ago and I was like
    this dude...
    I would be amused if Clinton were to sue over that though

To my understanding, the only statute of limitations for suing for uncleared samples is something like you can't collect mechanical royalties for sales that are over three years old. Other than that, best believe that an artist and label can get sued for a ton of money for an album that is almost 10 years old. If Madvillainy is still in print physically or digitally, the lawsuits can and will fly. The Thunder and Lightning heir just filed a suit against Kanye West for an uncleared sample from "Gold Diggers", same "Step Up" part that madlib used. "Gold Diggers" is almost as old as Madvillainy. A year or two ago the Thunder and Lightning heir (Pryor jr.) sued Gang Starr over "Step In The Arena", which was over 10 years old at that time. Clinton himself doesn't own the rights to his best music, the publishing arm of Westbound, Bridgeport Music, owns it outright. Bridgeport is super aggressive about suing over uncleared samples. They sued NWA for 100 miles and running in the early 2000's in a landmark decision. I brought it up because sample mixes of madvillainy sparked a heated debate for a second when the album came out, and madlib spoke on it. Seeing another one felt like deja vu of that debate.

• i would not see the humor in madlib or stones throw getting sued for 5 figures by the publisher who controls clinton's catalog

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Interview by Jeff Weiss (a shocker I know) for Rolling Stones
    where we learn that there will be no Madvillainy sequel

What's Quasimoto been up to in the eight years since his last album?
    He's been laying back, laying low [laughs].

Has he just been eating mushrooms all that time?

Of course.

Are you still planning to release another Quasimoto album of all new material?
    Yes, but I still haven't finished. It takes time. It has to be on a different level. The shrooms were the stuff that made me do Quasimoto in the first place. Hopefully, I get back on that level where I can finish it.

Will the Madvillain sequel ever see the light of day?

I handed all the beats to Doom years ago, but ever since he's been in Europe, he's been hard to get a hold of. I feel it probably won't happen, but you never know. I can't sit and wait on that. I did my part.

You recently started your own label, Madlib Invazion. Do you see that as mainly a place to release your music, or will you be releasing music from other artists as well?

Both. I'm going to release records from Kan Kick. A couple of singing artists. That's all I've found so far. I want to work with Stones Throw and also do my own thing. Stones Throw already has a lot of artists, so it makes sense to be able to release my other stuff on the side.

How is MadGibbs coming?
    It's done. It sounds good. Gibbs killed his parts. So did Earl Sweatshirt and Danny Brown on the guest verses.

What was it about Freddie Gibbs that made you want to work with him?
    It's hard to really explain in words. I look at him as a new version of 2Pac. He does musically a lot of the stuff that I try to do as a producer. He's capable of doing everything, but he's interested in being original and not sounding like all the other stuff on the radio.

Were you a fan of 2Pac?
    I'm generally not into the really popular dudes like that, but he was good. I actually liked a lot of his older stuff ??? his first few albums were the best. That's usually the case with a lot of artists. I also started working on my own music and kind of lost track of his music.

Often around someone's third or fourth album, people start saying that they fell off. You've put out roughly 50 records now. Was falling off something that ever concerned you?

I'm not really into that thing. People are always saying someone has fallen off. I do music for myself first. I do what I want to hear, not what other people say they want to hear

Do you ever read press about yourself?

Sometimes. I don't take it to heart when people say I'm great or when I'm bad.

There's a Woody Allen quote where he says that he doesn't go to the Oscars because if he believes them when they say he's great, he has to believe them when they say he's terrible.

I love Woody Allen. That's exactly how I feel.

Do you have any favorite Woody Allen films?
    I love Sweet and Lowdown, where Sean Penn plays the jazzman.

Have you been making a lot of jazz lately?
    Oh, definitely. I can't stop. I'm going to put out some more of it soon on Stones Throw. I have tons of stuff I'm holding onto, a bunch of different types of music. I made an electronic record in the vein of Cluster. I was programming synthesizers and drum machines and that sort of thing.

Have you been paying attention to Thundercat and Flying Lotus and the way they're reinventing jazz fusion?
    It's dope. I hope a lot of people pay attention and really listen. There's a lot of trendy people out there, and I hope they listen to what they're doing.. We have different types of sounds in that I do all of it myself, but it's dope that they're making original jazz.

You have another album out under the Rock Konducta name. How is that different from your other aliases?

That's just different styles of rock, chopped up and sampled from all around the world with the sound that I usually have. I love [prog-rock fusion acts] like Embryo and Weather Report. Embryo is one of my favorite groups ever. I just finished some music with them ??? five albums' worth of material. I've got a lot of stuff just waiting to be released.

You only put out a few records last year. What led to the slowdown in the schedule?

I've been taking it easy and trying to figure out a different route. I'm trying to make more money with less hands in the pot. I'm almost 40, you know. At one point, I took a year off just to listen to music and really digest it. I listened to everything you could imagine. Lately, I've been working as much as I usually have . . . probably more so than I usually do. There will be a lot of music coming out before you know it.

You're making an album with Mos Def that's inspired by Zambian rock from the 1970s. How did that come about?

We've been working on it for a long time. I've got a lot of unreleased tracks with him, and when he comes to L.A., we link up. I showed him all the Zambian stuff from the group Witch that [Now-Again Records' Eothen Egon Alapatt] released on Now-Again. Mos loved it. I have another album, too, full of all Indian Bollywood sampling stuff that I did with Mos. We'll hopefully put out an album of that later.

Quasimoto was recently presented by the city of Los Angeles with a certificate recognizing his excellence in masonry. Was that for real ??? and if so, how did that happen?

I don't know. When that happened, it was the most I've laughed in a long time. I think someone got fired though, after it went around on the web. It tripped me out.

You're kind of like Ornette Coleman. You're still alive making music, but we only hear a fraction of it and most of it was recorded years ago.
    Haha. I wish that I was Ornette Coleman. My whole thing is that I make music regardless. Regardless of everything around me, I'll always make music.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I have an immense respect for the guy. He's made some mind bending beats/albums. But his inconsistency annoys the fuck out of me. I get hyped for his projects; but then when I hear them I get disappointed most of the time. The stuff with Mos Def has the possibility to be either totally amazing or absolutely forgettable. Another Quas project would be cool if it was more like The Unseen. Further Adventures has too many sketches/interludes and never feels like it really breaks out into songs.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Throwback

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Madlib/Record related. Interview and pulling out records at the Radio France archive.

http://www.rappcats.com/madlib-radio-france-record-library/

• dammsdamms 704 Posts