A soulstrut original: Madlib Appreciation thread !

dammsdamms 704 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
you read it right
post your favorite Madlib :oh_snap: BANGERS !
I'll start

share the love yo

Comments

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    strutters are still shook or what

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

seen

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    aight good ol' strut refused to play along so Imma drop this last mellow batch and kim

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I am a big fan of a lot of his production, but a hater of his rap "skills". Every now and again, someone will post a sample ID request for one of his tracks or another, or an ID for something wild he throws in a mix he's done. I don't think this happens quite as frequently on the Strut for any other recording artist--but I could be wrong.

Kindly,
    parallax

• As a producer, when he makes a hit it's a hit. But when he misses, the fanboys call it a classic while everyone else knows it's clearly a miss. The production on the Quasimoto albums were thoroughly enjoyable to me. I remember listening to one of his Mind Fusion albums and I LOVED this beat. So much I want to steal it.

In fact he's basically given me the OK to.

I like the work he's done with Karriem Riggins. I played this song repeatedly for some time for a while.

Haters gon' hate, but I'm not in the mood for that. Too time-consuming.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I was waiting for someone to post something off the WLIB lp. Life and the song featuring J Rocc stayed on repeat. I need to dig that back out and play it again.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    ha ha decidedly the Strut is full of surprises.

incompletejigsaw said:
    As a producer, when he makes a hit it's a hit. But when he misses, the fanboys call it a classic while everyone else knows it's clearly a miss.
    I can understand the criticism for some (or a lot) of his "jazz" experiments but when it comes to his Hip Hop output I think he's on point 80% of the time. if that makes me a fanboy well...so be it
    incompletejigsaw said:

I remember listening to one of his Mind Fusion albums and I LOVED this beat. So much I want to steal it.

Haters gon' hate, but I'm not in the mood for that. Too time-consuming.
    you should love this one too, it's a lil' beat similar. sorry Stones Throw deleted the instrumental

incompletejigsaw said:

In fact he's basically given me the OK to.

I like the work he's done with Karriem Riggins. I played this song repeatedly for some time for a while.
    the WLIB album was unfairly hated on. it's full of dope joints

I still dunno how this is not more widely recognized but the production on the second Dudley Perkins >>>>> the one on A Lil' Light

actually I rank it in my top 5 or even 3 Madlib productions.
    thanks to Mr 'Poet Pass the weak' for his impeccable beat selection on that one

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Youtube wasn't giving nathan but "Rebirth Cycle (Super Soul)" is one of my favorite beats of all time.

Also, I have to say that I prefer the beats that Madlib did on the Jaylib project to the Dilla ones.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Co-sign on the above Dudley post. But, I've definitely got a sweet spot for A Lil Light.

The double 7" was always a favorite of mine, can't find youtubez http://stonesthrow.com/store/7-inch/madlib/beat-conducta

okay, found one from the double 7"

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Also, I have to say that I prefer the beats that Madlib did on the Jaylib project to the Dilla ones.

I'm not really trying to get into a debate on this, but I feel the exact same way. Some of Dilla's felt out of place w/ Madlib rapping.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I doubt most folks around here would deny that dude's got some good tracks. He just throws an outrageous amount of shit against the wall, so nobody but his fanboys has the time or patience to pick the wheat from the chaff.

That said, it's hilarious that the one dude who's constantly riding for THAT GOOD OLD UNDERGROUND RAPP starts a Madlib appreciation thread and acts like anyone is going to be surprised about it.

DID I JUST DO THAT? OH SNAP! I WENT THERE! Nah, dude, it's cool, we get it. You get weekly shipments from Fatbeats and have a sticker collection on your cratez. Rad.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    One of my favs:

And a recent one:

• Cosmo said:
    Youtube wasn't giving nathan but "Rebirth Cycle (Super Soul)" is one of my favorite beats of all time.

named after the spiritual jazz masterpiece of the same name by Mtume, i presume.

I ride for madlib, in the same way i ride for sun ra - prolific and genial. and yes rough round the edges, but it is what it is.

fuckit, i celebrate the entire catalouge, my felow bouteeq diggeurs.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I ride for Madlib, and really like the YNQ shit alot, but im NOT a part of his Heaven's Gate Fanclub.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I doubt most folks around here would deny that dude's got some good tracks. He just throws an outrageous amount of shit against the wall, so nobody but his fanboys has the time or patience to pick the wheat from the chaff.

That said, it's hilarious that the one dude who's constantly riding for THAT GOOD OLD UNDERGROUND RAPP starts a Madlib appreciation thread and acts like anyone is going to be surprised about it.

DID I JUST DO THAT? OH SNAP! I WENT THERE! Nah, dude, it's cool, we get it. You get weekly shipments from Fatbeats and have a sticker collection on your cratez. Rad.

peace,xavier

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

whoa whoa whoa
    I think you got me confused with sbdy else
    dude
    is it because I shat on Kanye's latest you made up your mind like that ?

Im all for forward thinking production but I don't ride for stuff I find wack just because the rest of the world thinks it's :next_level:

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    gravelheadwrap said:
    Cosmo said:

I'm not really trying to get into a debate on this, but I feel the exact same way. Some of Dilla's felt out of place w/ Madlib rapping.
    Madlib had the hottest samples but Dilla held his own pretty well I think
    not his fault if Madlib isn't Kool Keith

did y'all hear the outtakes ?
    with the demo versions
    the og beat of the Heist is too epic

but this is a Madlib appreciation thread , let's not derail

this is the 1st Madlib beat that made me think whoa I gotta find out more about this dude

I had heard about the Quas stuff but wasn't too big on leftfield hip hop at the time
    in 2004 I wasn't bumping Madvillainy but Snoop's R&G son !

he's the main reason I got deep into listening to Jazz and all the crazy shit he takes his samples from

to those who abhorre his ynq stuff
    you should listen to Ugly Beauty as Malik Flavors (that alias must refer to the AAC bassist and percussionist)
    I think it's his best jazz experiment release to date. he was in a zone

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Haven't been up on his tracks for a while, but late 90s / early 00s?? dude could do no wrong...

Can't find a video - but Ill Psych Move was the shit shit....so was Declaime's "Let It Be Known" with the Richard Evans sample....

I haven't listened to a lot of YNQ shit, but the first efforts were def solid, IMO.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i ride as well and supported his albums in the past
    but i have not checked for him in a good couple of years
    and i dont feel like ive missed much
    i also cosine the jaylib comment

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    slammin'

someone should have edited out that Kankick moan @1:46. the first time I heard that shit I stopped breathing for a minute. the fuck was he thinking...

pcmr said:
    i ride as well and supported his albums in the past
    but i have not checked for him in a good couple of years
    and i dont feel like ive missed much
    this year he released some of his old stuff from the Lootpack days

in addition to producing entire albums for Strong Arm Steady

and Guilty Simpson

among other things...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Madlib smokes too much weed. he is a bad influence on todays youth.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    behemoth said:

ha ha it seems like he's slowing down on the promotion of the use lately
    in that LA Weekly interview he said he only smokes when he's in his work environment. never at home
    and in the Jazz mix he released in August he put a Herbie Hancock vocal sample from a cameo or something where he says you don't need substances to get high. music is the finest high around
    I agree

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    damms said:
    behemoth said:

ha ha it seems like he's slowing down on the promotion of the use lately
    in that LA Weekly interview he said he only smokes when he's in his work environment. never at home
    and in the Jazz mix he released in August he put a Herbie Hancock vocal sample from a cameo or something where he says you don't need substances to get high. music is the finest high around
    I agree

but he makes like 400 beats a week so it means he smokes all the time.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Madliberator...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Can't find the vid for it either, but "The Front" is the shit too -- that one's a little more recent.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    he's no slouch when it comes to cutting

this shit still bumps

yeaaaaah

Woimsah said:
    Can't find the vid for it either, but "The Front" is the shit too -- that one's a little more recent.
    ha ha everything is relative with that guy. it's on the fan club 45 for the 2nd Quas album
    and he always mix old stuff with less old stuff
    there are youtube videos from 2007 of him playing beats from albums that came out this year
    one of his leaked beat tapes from 2005 has some beats that are on his next album dropping in January
    that's how he rolls lol

• He's got such a wide range. Really diverse producer.
    I've heard his live show is nuts...
    BASS INTO OBLIVION!