Rap You're Liking

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This thread has gone a bit soft since Herm's criticism so time to bring back the gangster insanity. Makes me want to break things.

Somewhat more chilled, the Block Beatez can do no wrong production wise at the moment.

cookbook said:

I wasn't sure about this on first listen as what I really wanted Mystikal to return with was some more manically unhinged stuff like I Don't Like You. However on a second listen it's now a definite thumbs up - very happy to see him teaming up with Mannie again.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Oh yes yes yes. I really like B. James - dude was amazing on 'Face's tape a couple of years ago and I've been checking for him since.

I don't know how to embed Sound Cloud, but I Iike this track off the tape too

Round & Round

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

bassie said:
    I don't know how to embed Sound Cloud, but I Iike this track off the tape too

Round & Round

Yeah that's nice as well! Still haven't even begun to process the whole tape as been waiting for it since I heard a couple of the Tree tracks but had no idea it was going to be 49 songs long. The fact it mixes new artists like D-Edge, Tree etc plus old heads like Khujo Goodie and Buk of Psychodrama fills me full of pleasure:

http://www.datpiff.com/Drank-Dank-Presents-Dripped-Up-mixtape.321732.html

Confession time, despite liking his contribution on Dopeman Music I'd actually never separated B.James and Boldy James until I heard this track so hadn't been checking for him. I think I need to get familiar.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Hold on, B. James is Boldy James? OK, I hadn't made that connection either. Dude's "Consignment: A Favor For A Favor" tape is really good.

DocMcCoy said:
    Hold on, B. James is Boldy James? OK, I hadn't made that connection either. Dude's "Consignment: A Favor For A Favor" tape is really good.

Ha ha nah, apologies for the additional confusion caused by my wording, it's actually the opposite - B dot James is an entirely different person. Agree on Boldy James, his Trappers Alley mixtape is a personal favourite from last year and had wrongly assumed that B.James was the same guy so hadn't been checking him out, assuming I'd heard it all before.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

nuts

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

Jonny_Paycheck said:

nuts

holy shit.

Junior said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Ha ha nah, apologies for the additional confusion caused by my wording, it's actually the opposite - B dot James is an entirely different person. Agree on Boldy James, his Trappers Alley mixtape is a personal favourite from last year and had wrongly assumed that B.James was the same guy so hadn't been checking him out, assuming I'd heard it all before.

His Almost There tape from a year or so ago is not bad, but not great either.

I can't post it from work, but his new tape - Young Vet - has been on repeat. I like it a lot a lot.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    staxwax said:

I normally don't make much time for Necro, but this is pretty dope on several levels.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This one has grown on me...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Really feeling those Boldy James tapes.

I promise this will be the last time I mention him in this thread (this week) but everyone needs to go download the latest Tree release, Sunday School, right now. His beat production and voice are creating a unique body of work right now. Personally more excited by him than pretty much anyone else out there at the moment.

http://www.datpiff.com/Tree-Sunday-School-mixtape.324216.html

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Junior said:
    I promise this will be the last time I mention him in this thread (this week) but everyone needs to go download the latest Tree release, Sunday School, right now. His beat production and voice are creating a unique body of work right now. Personally more excited by him than pretty much anyone else out there at the moment.

http://www.datpiff.com/Tree-Sunday-School-mixtape.324216.html

I've been listening loads since you starting posting his stuff here. Thanks for sharing this new one.

What do you know about Pink Rose? I love that tune but can't find more info on whether it's off an album or just a one off. ??

ketan said:

I've been listening loads since you starting posting his stuff here. Thanks for sharing this new one.

What do you know about Pink Rose? I love that tune but can't find more info on whether it's off an album or just a one off. ??

Excellent, glad to hear it!

The Pink Rose track is actually off RoGizz's album, RoGizz vs Black Blago, which I think is only available at Itunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/rogizz-vs.-black-blago/id453524808

Had a quick listen through some of the other stuff on there and think that the Tree track is probably the stand out.

Hard as nails. Dot X still doing it. Longevity.

:shreddin_it:

:icegrill:

I see Trel's Nightmare On E Street came out last night. Haven't heard it yet but hoping for a couple of tracks somewhere near the level of this, which is amazing.

Also, E-40 out but haven't even begun to digest the 60 odd tracks and no idea how much of it is actually worth repeat listens. Some insane production on there as expected though and lots of b-legit so I'm already happy.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, I don't even know where to start with that E-40. Are they three stand-alone albums that work on their own terms? Is it a trilogy with a unifying theme (above and beyond the tried-and-true 40 Water themes)? Is he on some Pokemon gotta-catch-em-all shit? Is there evidence of proper quality control at work here (seven albums in three years? That shit cray)? How does it stack up compared to his earlier shit? Is he still hittin' em?

Related posts.

LOL, having only listened through them once so far I wouldn't dare to give a judgement on quality control as I got lost somewhere in the middle album (which on first listen felt like the weakest of the three) and never really recovered. There's definitely some great tracks in there but there's way too much to digest and I'd rather he did a staggered release through the year to allow each one to live or die on its own merits.

Interestingly, and I can only assume this is intentional, the first album features the most "family" tracks (e.g. B-Legit, Droop-E, etc), the second album seems more old heads focused with Tech N9ne, Spice 1 and Dre Dog among others and the third seems like a combination of both with everyone from Kendrick Lamar to Heiro.

I think there's enough quality in there to make the task of compiling one uber album a tricky process and from first listen I can only recall a couple of absolute clunkers but I would gladly take advice on anyone who wanted to offer a slimmed down view.

Thanks for posting the Matthew Africa link as well, know it will be great even before I hear it.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Damn, no mention of the Action Bronson x Party Supplies mixtape - "Blue Chips"? Dude has the best food and sports metaphors in rap.

download here. http://www.djbooth.net/index/mixtapes/entry/action-bronson-blue-chips-mixtape