Rap You're Liking

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    well, here it is. in all its boring glory.

I hope future tracks are better.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ZZ Top covers DJ DMD's 25 Lighters...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    ZZ Top covers DJ DMD's 25 Lighters...

:liljohn:

• DJ Quik album "The Book of David"
    Killer Mike and EL-P (I forgot the name of their upcoming album)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

R.A.P. Music - on first listen, it's pretty good.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

its coming biatches

cop the free preview alboom

link

DocMcCoy said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

R.A.P. Music - on subsequent listens, it's really good.

I dunno why I expected this to be a dog's breakfast, but it isn't. Mike comes hard as fuck - "we're the readers of the books and the leaders of the crooks". When he does political stuff, he follows the Southern tradition and leaves all the Infowars bullshit where it's best left; to hectoring, pompous bores like Immortal Technique or Lupe Fiasco. El-P's production is solid, too. Rather than try to make square-peg beats fit a round-hole emcee, he dials down the industrial side without compromising his style too much, and the end result is a much more tightly-focused record that brings the best out of both contributors. It's definitely on the "alternative" end of the scale, but is refreshingly free of all the usual art-wank bollocks you'd associate with the term. It's the kind of alternative rap record that regular rap fans can dig.

:feelin_it:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• Probably a late pass.

NUTS.

great little 45 this - who is this cat the purist? liking the design on the poster too..

By way of a brief interlude...

Apparently this is a few months old now, but I've only just heard it.

This is factory fresh, on the other hand.

• Bigg Jus "Machines That Make Civilization Fun"

• Thats actually me. Got a video with the joint with Roc Marci dropping in a few weeks.

you can cop the Marci/Bronson 7 here http://kingkongholdingco.bandcamp.com/album/the-purist-double-feature-e-p

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Yeah heard this the other day. Not 100% sold on this particular track (though that might be more due to the sensitive nature of my head right now) but I do think that Brown's voice fits to grime production beautifully. Sure I read in an interview a while ago that he was a big fan of Dizzee's early stuff (might have been with Noz) and certainly works for him.

Some stuff I've been enjoying.....

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    Bigg Jus "Machines That Make Civilization Fun"

Really? I thought it was barely listenable.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

He's an acquired taste... I like his lyrical skill more than the music. "Poor People's Day" was better. I'm hoping for a EL-P and Bigg Jus collabo in the future... I say again, hoping...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The fact that I can stumble across stuff like this on the internet and have the album on my iphone 15 minutes later is still kind of facemelting to me. Mark it down to being the last generation which grew up without the internet. Anyway, highly recommended.

Link here

http://sandlotsdugout.com/

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

He's an acquired taste... I like his lyrical skill more than the music. "Poor People's Day" was better. I'm hoping for a EL-P and Bigg Jus collabo in the future... I say again, hoping...

I'd have hoped that, in the 15 or so years of hearing his work since Funcrusher Plus, I might have acquired it by now, so I'm willing to accept that it probably isn't going to happen. His lyrics are like randomly-punctuated screeds of tinfoilhattery from the Infowars forums. Lyrical, mystical, super-scientifical, "I'macramintheabsolutemaximumnumberofsyllablespossibleoverafourbarmeasureandendeveryline LIKE THIS!" rhyming at its absolute best/worst (delete where applicable). At least El-P is attempting to figure out if there's a place where what he does fits in with what the mainstream is prepared to accommodate, and it's already producing impressive results. Jus seems happier to remain exactly where he's been for the last decade or so.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

NUTS.

First listen and I'm, like, WHOA. Need to listen again, more closely...

I didn't know the backstory about Alori Joh (RIP) before hearing it, so The Book of Soul was devastating to hear.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Junior said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Yeah heard this the other day. Not 100% sold on this particular track (though that might be more due to the sensitive nature of my head right now) but I do think that Brown's voice fits to grime production beautifully.

So this guy is from [strike]America[/strike] the South, and he's rapping over grime and filmed his video in London? How does Harvey feel about this?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

I'd have hoped that, in the 15 or so years of hearing his work since Funcrusher Plus, I might have acquired it by now, so I'm willing to accept that it probably isn't going to happen. His lyrics are like randomly-punctuated screeds of tinfoilhattery from the Infowars forums.

Like Diamond D, I've never really judged El-Producto on his raps. Great beatsmith. 8-Steps, Little Johnny From The Hospital, The Cold Vein, all visionary.

ketan said:
    DocMcCoy said:

NUTS.

First listen and I'm, like, WHOA. Need to listen again, more closely...

I didn't know the backstory about Alori Joh (RIP) before hearing it, so The Book of Soul was devastating to hear.

Nor did I. That line "fall off a fuckin' tower tryin' to find you" is heavy as fuck.

Album of the year for me.

TheDollarBinDon said:
    Thats actually me. Got a video with the joint with Roc Marci dropping in a few weeks.

you can cop the Marci/Bronson 7 here http://kingkongholdingco.bandcamp.com/album/the-purist-double-feature-e-p

copped - great release!

bw

:hayek:

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i'm afraid to listen to that new show and ag. i can't think of anything they've done post the full scale ep that wasn't boring/mediocre. (i include that ag solo that people seem to like for some reason)

Junior said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Yeah heard this the other day. Not 100% sold on this particular track (though that might be more due to the sensitive nature of my head right now) but I do think that Brown's voice fits to grime production beautifully.

So this guy is from [strike]America[/strike] the South, and he's rapping over grime and filmed his video in London? How does Harvey feel about this?

He's from Detroit and wears skinny jeans, so he probably barely counts as a rapper in Harv's eyes. May as well cancel his US citizenship, give him an EU passport and shove him on the first transatlantic flight out of Wayne County.

This album is just taking a massive dump on everything right now.

Also, I have to give massive props to Danny Brown not only for having the stones to pair comedy Jeremy Scott Adidas with clamdiggers, but to actually make them look good. And that Patagonia hoodie is fresh.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts