Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    bassie said:

East of the River Nile - A Pablo
    Blackboard Jungle - L Perry and The Upsetters
    Dangerous Dub - Roots Radics and King Tubby
    Dub Conference Vol.1 - Harry Mudie and King Tubby

you just couldn't control yourself, could you.

for shame, Bassie. FOR SHAME.
    ketan

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Some great albums mentioned - cosign on No Protection as well.

This one deserves a mention as well:

B/W

Faux Rillz has a complete Bill Laswell collection.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Never get tired of this album....

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Derrick Harriott - Scrub A Dub

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    asstro said:
    Kind of suprised to see that the Aswad is a respected record, I've loved that record for 20+ years but never really heard anyone give it props, I just assumed because it wasn't from JA.

Here's my choice, hate all you want:

it's certainly a very uneven LP, but the "protection" dub is great and "backwards sucking" is one of the top 10 "songs to smoke trees to" ever...

you guys are all sleeping/fucking up when it comes to scientist tho... all those greensleeves cartoon character records suck eggs compared to these 2...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    My first choice would have been In The Light Dub, but that's already gone, so I thought I'd go with Blackbeard's I Wah Dub. It was a very big record for me & my boys when it came out in 1980, and it seemed to be a big record with many UK post-punk types generally. Basically, Dennis Bovell goes off on this, as if he was trying to make the wildest, most out-there, most technologically here-and-now dub record he could, and the cover art taps into that whole afro-futurist thing evident in Parliafunkadelicment, Sun Ra and so on. Adrian Sherwood did something broadly similar around the same time with Creation Rebel's Starship Africa, which went even further out, to places sonically nearer to Ornette Coleman or electric Miles than to reggae. Contemporaneously, this originates from around the time Bovell was producing The Pop Group and The Slits, and I seem to remember a few dub connoisseurs getting a bit sniffy about it. The suggestion was that it was a gimmicky, commercial record rather than a serious dub album, purposely designed to appeal to all the punk-rock kids who'd begun turning up at Matumbi shows. Perhaps it was, but I don't really care about that - it's got as much character and musicality as any other great dub record I can think of, and it stands up to repeat listening.

Interesting take-that-shit-to-the-brits fun fact about this album; in the early years of EastEnders, this album was regularly used as diegetic music in the show. Whenever you heard generic reggae music playing in the background of a scene, it was invariably a track from I Wah Dub.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    you guys are all sleeping/fucking up when it comes to scientist tho... all those greensleeves cartoon character records suck eggs compared to these 2...

Yeah, that first Scientist album is amazing. Wasn't he about 16 when that dropped? He certainly looks it on the cover. I remember buying this when it came out.

Another one which blew my teenage punk-rocker mind, and which hasn't been mentioned yet is this Yabby You killer.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    holmes said:

Selectah!-ah!-ah!-ah!

Rockers Meets King Tubby was the first I listened to, this was the first I owned and got to digest sans l'herb.

As a contribution to the thread, I'll nominate a single:

Naggo Morris - jah Guide

The dub (which you can get on 45) starts around 3:50 into this.

• This was one of my first purchases from AKL's Real Groovy early 1990s

Sly & Robbie - Destination Unknown

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• Ooooh, that Hugh Mundell is so killer!

I'm gonna break all the rules and add all four chapters of Joe Gibbs African Dub All Mighty.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

or this one

very solid

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Rhythm & Sound - the versions

This is such a great modern dub album with an amazing quality of production

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Ooooh, that Hugh Mundell is so killer!

I'm gonna break all the rules and add all four chapters of Joe Gibbs African Dub All Mighty.

chapter 1 is a bit of a snooze, well at least not "dub", more straight instro w/ no FX and minimal drop outs, reminds me of the Revolutionaries LP w/ Che on the cover... the other 3 are fucking ill...

piedpiper said:

Rhythm & Sound

Yeah, I love King In My Empire. Production is next

levels.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The 10s get really same-y after a while, but of course that didn't stop me from buying them.

This is lovely:

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    i dont care....

Jah Wally All Star Band - Righteous Dub

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    you guys have named pretty much everything i wanted to post
    however it's encouraging me to finish this dub mix i've been crafting for a minute

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    any good dub mixes y'all recommend? i like the dub series muro has going

pcmr said:
    you guys have named pretty much everything i wanted to post
    however it's encouraging me to finish this dub mix i've been crafting for a minute

POAST WHEN TING IS ROLLED.

Jahbless etc.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    out of the half-dozen dub 45s I own, this is my favorite

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    bassie said:
    The 10s get really same-y after a while, but of course that didn't stop me from buying them.

This is lovely:

yes!

Couldn??t resist to mention this one as well:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Lot's of my favorites have been mentioned so far, but not this one:

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    Jimmy Radway & The Fe Me Time All Stars ‎– Dub I

is a Game Over Scorcha in my book. A true "lost classic" dub masterpiece.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    out of the half-dozen dub 45s I own, this is my favorite

was gonna post exactly this one, browsed the 1st two pages and didnt see it and was like "damn, nobody digs this?"

HUGE cosine.

• asstro said:
    Kind of suprised to see that the Aswad is a respected record, I've loved that record for 20+ years but never really heard anyone give it props, I just assumed because it wasn't from JA.

Here's my choice, hate all you want:

this is also an awesome album

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Big fan of Niney, even if his solo lp discography is pretty slim. Sledgehammer Dub is a great lp, and his various dub works seem to have gotten a fair amount of shine from a glut of comps in recent years.

-

King Tubby (& The Skatalites) - Herb Dub - Collie Dub

Which can be bought with extra tracks in the 2002 Motion release, The Skatalites & King Tubby - The Legendary Skatalites In Dub. it's The Skatalites AND King Tubby so you know it's some next level ish.
    THE LEGENDARY SKATALITES IN DUBIn 1975 Lloyd Brevett organised some jamming sessions at his Kingston home involving almost all of the remaining Skatalites (Don Drmmond of course had tragically died and Jackie Mittoo was out of the country). These were followed up by sessions at Lee Perry's Black Ark, and Aquarius Studio, resulting in the release of an instrumental album, The Legendary Skatalites (1975). Soon after, a dub set, Herb Dub Collie Dub, appeared in very limited numbers. In 1998 Motion Records released a companion set of alternative dubs, Heroes Of Reggae In Dub, and later a vinyl only re-issue of Herb Dub Collie Dub (2001). The Legendary Skatalites In Dub completes the set with the pick of the tracks from the 1975 sessions plus a sought-after vocal cut entitled 'Starlight' originally released on 7" on Lloyd Brevett's own label.
    We think these are the only reggae dub tracks featuring double bass.

-

King Tubby - Shalom Dub is a classic that hasn't been mentioned yet.

-

And a personal favourite.. Sly & The Revolutionaries with Jah Thomas - Black Ash Dub.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

This!

Was trying to post a dub mix of mine from a few years back but the Divshare file isn't working.
    Gonna have to track down somebody with a copy on CD and get back to this thread with it later.
    I posted it on SS in the past, if anybody has a digital copy of Dug Dub let me know.
    It was on my old computer that went tits up.