• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    djsheep said:
    sup

Family reunion

• Name: Rico

Place: El Paso via Dallas via San Francisco

How old is you? 33

How did you get here? that old crates list

Sentimental Records: Endtroducing! (I was in college, met my future wife... good times)

Places You Dig: I haven't bought a record since 04

Other Interests: food, travel, movies, photography, cars, Giants baseball

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Name: Big Chan, Chan Dawg, Tito Chantana The Intercontinental Champion.

Place: Seattle, WA Chinatown USA

How old is you? Turn 43 in a couple days

How did you get here? My cousin Jake One told me about the site when the site was pretty much brand new.

Sentimental Records: All the 70s and early 80s Stevie Wonder and Earth Wind And Fire albums.

Places you DIG: All over WA State and any place I see record stores in other cities/countries.

Other interests: Fine food and drink, clothing and fashion, books, movies, art, travel.

Ko Nichiwa Bitches!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Name: Alex
    Place: Seattle, WA
    How old is you? 37 this month
    How did you get here? Tried a long long time ago, looking for more than scqkratching messageboarding. Couldn't hang. That shit died, and I felt there was enough crossover to justify trying this place out. Still not sure that was true. Strutters are nice meanies. Gotta be in the right mood.
    Sentimental Records: hand-me-down Metallica records (brother), a Peter Herbolzheimer I bought at Groove Merchant, Tim Dog Penicillin on Wax I bought the day it was discussed on here a couple years ago, the first Roots album (can't stand the rest--don't remember buying it), Cenubites ep, pretty much any good record I have
    Places you DIG: I've bought less than ten records over the past couple years. Bumming. Need to burn these rap singles and blaze these downtempo LPs so I can go buy some more.
    Other interests: chopping it up on the internet, bikes, snowboarding, splitboarding, visiting the skate shop, candy

• iconicon 86 Posts
    Name: Luke

Place: Dallas via Dallas

How old is you? 39; 40 this month

How did you get here? Rehash

Sentimental Records: early Chicago house

Places you DIG: Anywhere I can find 'em but concentrated in North Texas, OK, LA, KS

Other interests: my 2-year old daughter
    Other (record) interests: Detroit techno, Dallas/Houston rap, soul/funk 45s/LPs, disco 12s. Damn, no wonder...

• Dep-TDBDep-TDB 10 Posts
    Name: Dep-TDB

Place: Hollister, California

How old is you? 23

How did you get here? I was on Stones Throw message board and found out about Soul Strut.

Sentimental Records: Stan Getz- Reflections (the first album i ever purchased)

Places you dig: thrift stores & record stores

Other interests: making beats, rapping, coin collecting, collecting movies on vhs

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Name: Maggi

Place: Yard, West Indies.

How old is you? 42

How did you get here? From The-Breaks.com

Sentimental records: Gap Band - IV ,Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill, Kool & The Gang - S/T. Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward.

Places you DIG: I haven't bought a record in three years.

Other interests: Collecting and watching Movies (Everything ranging from Euro Cult to Japanese Exploitation and Hollywood blockbusters,Jogging and Art & Design.

Rankin: Louie.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Name: Diego

Place: Vegas

How old is you? 28

How did you get here? Don't remember

Sentimental Records: Satori

Other interests: Tits, Fuzz Guitar, Motorcycles

• Name: Bobby aka Mr Boogie-Man aka Boogasaurus Rex aka Boogers aka Poppin Fresh the Dough boy aka dr. beard
    Place: Iowa City, IA
    How old is you? 27
    How did you get here? I'd heard a little about this place and finally signed up after AKO put me up on it.
    Sentimental Records: BDP-Criminal Minded, misc. Bob Dylan, Battered Ornaments, Eugene McDaniels,Cymande-Promised Heights
    Places you DIG: anywhere I can and as much as possible, try to keep it local, but sometimes I got to go to the internet to get what I really want.
    Other interests: sports, bike riding, gardening, homebrewing, fixing or attempting to fix stuff, misc. movies
    Rank: Little lurker dude who might have some good records.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Name: Ray

Place: Philadelphia

How old is you? 40

How did you get here? I won a Good Goodness CDR from an eBay guy name blowoutcomb.

Sentimental Records: Places and Spaces by Donald Byrd (This was a record owned by my Grandmothers boyfriend whom my dad named "Doc Love", his birthday was February 29!... I talked to my Grandmother yesterday about him... My Grandmother took the cover of that record and cut it into my very first slipmat... I still have that very same record and think of him when I see it.)

Other interests: I Make Beats, I love my Philly Teams, I love my Town, I love my Sons, I love my wife... beer is cool too...

Rank: A now reformed record snob who loves his wife even though she smashed his Les McCann Layers record that was given to him by Drew Nice...

• YuqqaYuqqa 15 Posts
    Name: Grandi

Place: Helsinki, Finland

How old is you? 25

How did you get here? Googling some rekkids. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute to this forum also. First I need to step my game up a bit.

Sentimental Records: Vesa-Matti Loiri - 4+20. This homeland record was the record that inspired me to crate diggin'. Back in the days there was only a slight amount of info about this album and it had a huge cloud of mystery around it. Nowadays it has been reissued, but gettin' OG about a year ago was a great moment in my diggin' career. Maybe musically not the most sentimental though.

Places You Dig: Fleamarkets mostly, internet if manage to get some extra money.

Other Interests: Life

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Yuqqa said:

How old is you? 25

How did you get here? Googling some rekkids. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute to this forum also. First I need to step my game up a bit.

Sentimental Records: Vesa-Matti Loiri - 4+20. This homeland record was the record that inspired me to crate diggin'. Back in the days there was only a slight amount of info about this album and it had a huge cloud of mystery around it. Nowadays it has been reissued, but gettin' OG about a year ago was a great moment in my diggin' career. Maybe musically not the most sentimental though.

WELCOME! I'm sure you'll find some good information and good people here.

Don't be afraid and ask questions. That's how many of us (including myself) got started here.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Dep-TDB said:
    Name: Dep-TDB

Place: Hollister, California

How old is you? 23

How did you get here? I was on Stones Throw message board and found out about Soul Strut.

Sentimental Records: Stan Getz- Reflections (the first album i ever purchased)

Places you dig: thrift stores & record stores

Other interests: making beats, rapping, coin collecting, collecting movies on vhs

Sup dude. Welcome!

I think quite a few people came here via Stones Throw msg board. Get yourself acclimated, engage with the peeps here and enjoy!

Coin collecting. niiice.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Name: Alan

Place: A small fishing town, northern NSW

How old is you? 38

How did you get here? a Google search for 'record digging' in 2002

Sentimental Records: Hot Buttered Soul

Places You Dig: NSW, QLD, AMS

Other Interests: words

• YuqqaYuqqa 15 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Yuqqa said:

How old is you? 25

WELCOME! I'm sure you'll find some good information and good people here.

Don't be afraid and ask questions. That's how many of us (including myself) got started here.

Thanks yuichi! This site really has a vast amount of information and I can totally relate to people in here. I have browsed also Waxidermy occasionally, but never really got into that place. To funk loving wannabe dj like me, I always felt cosy here in Soulstrut. I'll try to activate myself here from now on!

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Name: age

Place: san jose, ca (the south bay)

How did you get here?: I have many of bay folks on this site and I was invited I think i in 99 or 00, but honestly I shunned it at first
    Talking mad shit along the lines like, "fuck that internet digging bullshit"...now look at me, haha! No, in seriousness, I was invited but I did not join till about 2004 or 2005. I think my first post was posting the Aposento Alto for trade...I got so many hits in less the 5 minute.s

Sentimental Records: Wild Style s/t(first rap record I ever bought when I a wee youth), Earth Wind and Fire: That's The Way Of The World
    (Reminds me of my mom's and pops..R.I.P.), all my local and non local stuff, and too many others to mention.

Places you DIG: Other peoples homes, wherehouses, groove merchant, anywhere really...mainly the internet and my plaace of emplyoment nowadays.

Other interests: My son and my wife, playing bass, production, scratching, writing(both), illustrating, videography and photography...mainly being a papa these days :o)

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Yuqqa said:

Hi Grandi,

Your avatar; Krtek. I just finished watching a 4 disc set with my kids. Absolutely amazing. Pretty much the best thing i have seen in years.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Name: Paul

Place: The Home Counties, UK

How old is you? 27

How did you get here? Google

Sentimental Records: Oh Boy - Cam'ron

Places You Dig: Spotify

Other Interests: Yoga, Woody Allen, Manchester United, WWE

• YuqqaYuqqa 15 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    Yuqqa said:

Hi Grandi,

Your avatar; Krtek. I just finished watching a 4 disc set with my kids. Absolutely amazing. Pretty much the best thing i have seen in years.

Hi nzshadow! I really love Krtek! My nieces felt love with Krtek first time they saw it. I can really recommend them to anyone. Classic stuff and because they don't speak any spesific language, it's suitable to kids (and adults) around the world. The father of Krtek Zden??k Miler died just a couple of months ago, RIP.

Here's the episode, where my avatar's from

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Yuqqa said:

We met up with Pirkka from Lifesaver Records/MixOfTheWeek.com when we were in town a while back. Good dude, showed us some nice spots to drink and eat. Helsinki seems to have a good music vibe happening.

• Name: Wiel

Place: Amsterdam

How old is you? 33

How did you get here? NZshadow wouldn't shut up about it.

Sentimental Records: Bill Withers "live at carnegie hall" Has been my favorite record for as long as I can remember.

Places You Dig: Thrift stores/markets/records fairs

Other Interests: Design, Photoshop, Cinema4D, Games, My Girl, my upcoming wedding..... and reading.

• OptimusLime said:
    My Girl

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Name: Mike Bell, Mike BellCity, HELLCITY, Mike Boogs, etc,.

Place: New York State (with temporary residence in Afghanistan)

How old is you? Grown

How did you get here? Dan from Jump Jump

Sentimental Records: Any CTI record

Places you DIG: On my living room sofa.

Other interests: Big booty girls

• Name: Willis Read / Will

Place: Tokyo, Suginami-ku, Asagaya

How old is you? 31

How did you get here? Googled something about strata east and stumbled in.

Sentimental Records: Shalamar 'Friends', Tatsuro Yamashita 'For You', Pete La Roca
    'Basra', Hosono Haruomi 'Tropical Dandy', Gal Costa 'India', J.J. Barnes 'Born Again',
    Clifford Jordan 'In The World', Marvin Gaye 'I Want You', Bobbi Humphrey 'Fancy Dancer', etc.

Places you DIG: Union, Coconuts, RARE, east, universounds, etc...any of the 40 or so
    stores within 40 minutes.

Other interests: photography, bicycles, coffee, hiking, cooking, wine, microbrews, reading,
    comics, studying Japanese, etc.

Rank: At least VG (-) private press B/W it aint the size of the poast counts...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Mike_Bell said:

sayin

Hi!!!

bassie said:
    Mike_Bell said:

sayin

Hi!!!
    Senora Bassie, how are you? I'm going to Canada when I get back.

Not bad, just living and stuff.

Oh my word!
    When is that? And which part of Canada? Toronto, right? Right!

• Name: joel

Place: toronto and outlying.

How old is you? 30

How did you get here? dont remember exactly..... it could have very well been from googling kajagoogoo on a whim

Sentimental Records: jk&co; - suddenly one summer, cut the shit - harmed and dangerous, nas - illmatic

Places you DIG: i dig holes in the ground for a living. i dig for records in the basements of other people's houses.

Other interests: new and used books of every ilk, being a rad dude, architecture, furniture design/construction, interior design [srsly], dogs.

Rank: never been much of a dude around here, but i'll pipe up when there's piping to be piped. i'm not to be taken seriously.

bassie said:
    Not bad, just living and stuff.

Oh my word!
    When is that? And which part of Canada? Toronto, right? Right!
    good to hear. I live about 30 miles southeast of Kingston, ON. I plan to roll thru T.O and Mtl.

Excellent location! Get in touch, we will do it up. Toronto is AMAZING in the warmer months/summer.