NYC (moving-related)

124»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This is like a late 60s/early 70s movie about a clean-hearted young man who moves to New York City...how soon before you own a nightclub and are slurping Bollinger off ladyboy abs?

• I missed the part where Brian changed his user name and have been thinking that he chickened out and some dude named Patrick (who was possibly CrazyPopRock?) had hijacked this thread.

• bassie said:
    This is like a late 60s/early 70s movie about a clean-hearted young man who moves to New York City

It's either going to be a male version of this:

Or it's going to go down like this:

• This thread has been a great read. Lurked it since it was started. Don't have any helpful advice but really enjoy reading! I think because of exactly what Bassie said. It's like a serial story - new chapters each week!! lol

Best of luck with your first day at work!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so i thought my workplace got hyped up a bit but shit is awesome. don't need to worry about food because there's catered lunch everyday and a fully stocked kitchen for breakfast and shit. im going to be working my ass off but at least it's in a comfortable environment i guess?

i've already been repping brooklyn everytime ive been out and some rapps came on so it should be okay to claim NY too, right?

i'm so fucking happy that i got out of hawaii

oh yeah and
    PatrickCrazy said:

how do i go to awesome music stuff that's in the middle of the week super late at night and not get fired from being hungover/falling asleep?

• PatrickCrazy said:

oh yeah and
    PatrickCrazy said:

how do i go to awesome music stuff that's in the middle of the week super late at night and not get fired from being hungover/falling asleep?

Man, get your weight up.

If you can tie one back with your boss /coworkers, a late morning every so often will go over more easily.

But some of these dudes are up all night and in the office before you. Shit aint a game.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dudes i work with are definite drinkers so yeah drinks will be on

i think part of it is getting adjusted to doing everything so late. hardly any non-shitty spots in hawaii are open til 4 so i'm not used to it at all. girls be like oh lets get dinner at 10 and im like wtf?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:

oh yeah and
    PatrickCrazy said:

Not to to diminish NYC's shine, but if I may be as bold as to suggest the answer to this is universal: don't drink your face off, do a pre-emptive strike and say you have a medical appointment in the morning to buy yourself an hour or so of sleep-in time and choose your mid-week events wisely. Do you really need to attend every dubstep jamboree the city has to offer? Probably not.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    dudes i work with are definite drinkers so yeah drinks will be on

i think part of it is getting adjusted to doing everything so late. hardly any non-shitty spots in hawaii are open til 4 so i'm not used to it at all. girls be like oh lets get dinner at 10 and im like wtf?
    take a nap after work. drink top shelf vodka on the rocks with a lime. works every time...hangover free

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    go to work high

• bassie said:
    This is like a late 60s/early 70s movie about a clean-hearted young man who moves to New York City...how soon before you own a nightclub and are slurping Bollinger off ladyboy abs?

The Out of Towners

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:

If you are hanging with NYU grads, the answer is a steady cocaine hobby.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    oh yeah and wtf is there to do/eat around midtown east?

Is Koreatown close enough? And there are decent and semi-decent asian spots all over the place. Midtown is a hell of a lot of Irish pub menus though.

Or you could go for the eat-in/take-out supermarket/gourmet garage thing, for example: http://www.zaiyany.com/

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Is Koreatown close enough? And there are decent and semi-decent asian spots all over the place. Midtown is a hell of a lot of Irish pub menus though.

Or you could go for the eat-in/take-out supermarket/gourmet garage thing, for example: http://www.zaiyany.com/
    mandoo house

• PatrickCrazy said:

As the resident East 40s office drone, I can tell you there are a few decent places.

Num Pang on 41st and Lex has bomb Cambodian sandwiches although they are not very big and sort of expensive
    Mapo Tofu on Lex between 39th and 40th has good Szechuan food
    Oms B on 45th off of 3rd has good rice balls and miso soup.
    Donburi-ya on 47th and Lex has pretty good ramen
    Blarney Stone on 3rd and 44th makes a great greasy bar burger, sliders, and onion rings, find me there nursing a hangover on Fridays.
    Bi Lokma on 45th between 2nd and 3rd has good middle eastern food
    Blooms Deli on Lex and 40th makes a great pastrami sandwich
    And if you want to ball out Sushi Yasuda on 43rd and 3rd is some of the best sushi anywhere

Hai guyz!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Damn dude get a blog. Or make an app. "Avoiding Fusion: GV's Restaurant & Record guide to New York City"

• Garcia_Vega said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

As the resident East 40s office drone, I can tell you there are a few decent places.

Num Pang on 41st and Lex has bomb Cambodian sandwiches although they are not very big and sort of expensive
    Mapo Tofu on Lex between 39th and 40th has good Szechuan food
    Oms B on 45th off of 3rd has good rice balls and miso soup.
    Donburi-ya on 47th and Lex has pretty good ramen
    Blarney Stone on 3rd and 44th makes a great greasy bar burger, sliders, and onion rings, find me there nursing a hangover on Fridays.
    Bi Lokma on 45th between 2nd and 3rd has good middle eastern food
    Blooms Deli on Lex and 40th makes a great pastrami sandwich
    And if you want to ball out Sushi Yasuda on 43rd and 3rd is some of the best sushi anywhere

Hai guyz!

I used to be in the East 50s. Now I'm in the West 40s and it's even bleaker. I'm not far enough West to get to the Eighth Avenue joints without having to fight my way through Times Square, and to the East it's just Fifth Avenue with nothing to eat except maybe the communion wafers at St. Patrick's. If I eat one more sandwich from Park Deli, I'm going to be full of more sodium than then the Dead Sea.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

If you are hanging with NYU grads, the answer is a steady cocaine hobby.
    i am hanging with nyu grads but no cocaine heads that i know of...

thanks for all the food recommendations. i don't think i'm ever leaving work for lunch but i'll keep them in mind.

why the fuck did i go to see jim jones last night?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    pm me with names of talented doctors, optometrists, dentists, acpuncturists, and chiropractors~~~~
    covered under cigna

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    pm me with names of talented doctors, optometrists, dentists, acpuncturists, and chiropractors~~~~
    covered under cigna

park slope eye

it's a great experience to deal with dr. bazan. not only is he the true blue homie, but he's THE BEST at what he does. he's also a HUGE wu-tang head. it's in brooklyn, but don't be a puss about the trek; it's not far at all and very much worth your time.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    do you need any record crates? i'm getting rid of some.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im good on crates. not even sure if im going to ship what i have from hawaii. tiny apartment-related. thanks for recommendation~~

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    I missed the part where Brian changed his user name and have been thinking that he chickened out and some dude named Patrick (who was possibly CrazyPopRock?) had hijacked this thread.

nope, this Patrick crazypoprock has lived in NYC for almost 12 years now which means i'm a full on new yorker!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    made it two years bros
    can I now claim official new Yorker status?
    might be moving again this year, possibly near union square

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hated moving in and out of my most urban dwelling ever in downtown Berkeley in that I had to close up the back of the truck between every single of about a hundred friggin loads so that nobody would steal anything.

Not the way to be.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I will be hiring movers for the next move for sure

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    made it two years bros
    can I now claim official new Yorker status?
    might be moving again this year, possibly near union square

I'm pretty the rule states you're not official until you've been in NYC for 10 years. That or Police Commissioner Kelly came to your '02 graduation and claimed every kid graduating was an official new yorker for being in town on 9/11 before calling Neil Diamond on stage to sing a song.

b/w

I decided movers were worth the money the day I moved myself from a 3rd floor walk-up to a 5th floor walk-up.