NYC (moving-related)

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Sounds like queens would be the move. Somewhere in Long Island City, Astoria, or across Pulaski bridge in Greenpoint Brooklyn even. I live in Greenpoint, used to work on 53rd and Madison, and my commute was about 25 minutes. The E train definitely gets jacked up with in-climate weather sometimes and the G trains are sparse outside of work hours, so living within walking distance of the 59th street bridge would be nice, but that neighborhood type crumby. (no offense to qb dwellers) If you're balling out, you could get something on the river in LIC and take a water taxi to work.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    walking distance of the 59th street bridge would be nice, but that neighborhood type crumby. (no offense to qb dwellers)

But within walking distance of Scandals...so there's that....

Brian???how important is strip-club proximity?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Sween said:
    Do you own any winter clothes?

15 degrees with the wind chill this morning. A bit nippy.

Supernumerarily nippy, even.

(Oh, and N.B.: I know my man's just trying to be nice with his offer and all, but I'd think twice about walking anywhere behind Sween.)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Possum Tom said:
    walking distance of the 59th street bridge would be nice, but that neighborhood type crumby. (no offense to qb dwellers)

is that the overpiced russian one? you must not know:
    http://pumpsbar.com/
    caesarian scars like woah

the big building and the building in the background show the proximity of LIC to midtown. if you lived right next to that green citi building in the background, youd' be to work in 10 minutes

Possum Tom said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Possum Tom said:

[Confessions] I've actually never been in Scandals,[/Confessions] but I always wonder if it's the strip bar Nas n nem mention from time to time in their rapps. It doesn't look like the sort of place you'd want to brag about going to.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Sween said:
    "this place slows you down brah
    SO REAL
    one of the major reasons why i need to get out of here

Do you own any winter clothes?
    i bought a jacket at old navy a few months ago because the AC was broken at work but beyond that...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Possum Tom said:

[Confessions] I've actually never been in Scandals,[/Confessions] but I always wonder if it's the strip bar Nas n nem mention from time to time in their rapps. It doesn't look like the sort of place you'd want to brag about going to.

Its a high end spot, where celebs get their rub on. Shorties that didnt get to the Playboy Mansion be up in that spot.

That immediate hood is terrible, but there are some interesting nooks sprinkled around there.
    You got everything in the vicinity, except anything "hip".
    Turtle Bay just a little South of the Ed Koch/59th Bridge has some decent NYC Yuppie spots.
    The Boston Red Sox bar is located around there. Whatever.......I doubt your seein Man-Hatt if your on some quick shit.

DB - did yall check Sunnyside when u hunted?

Possum Tom said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Possum Tom said:

Its a high end spot, where celebs get their rub on. Shorties that didnt get to the Playboy Mansion be up in that spot.

That immediate hood is terrible, but there are some interesting nooks sprinkled around there.
    Turtle Bay just a little South of the Ed Koch/59th Bridge has some decent NYC Yuppie spots.
    The Boston Red Sox bar is located around there. Whatever.......I doubt your seein Man-Hatt if your on some quick shit.

Never got to Sunnyside. Closest was Hunter's Point, which seemed alright. There's a gang of Red Sox bars in this town, though, so I usually hit Manhattan if I'm looking to catch a game. Plenty of Pats bars too.

Possum Tom said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Possum Tom said:

Never got to Sunnyside. Closest was Hunter's Point, which seemed alright. There's a gang of Red Sox bars in this town, though, so I usually hit Manhattan if I'm looking to catch a game. Plenty of Pats bars too.

Yeah Hunter's Point has a kinda interesting strip of stuff, but after that its a wrap.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This is really making me miss New York... :(

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    batmon said:
    or anything decent to eat...or any kind of plants...or any grocery stores with other brands besides ragu... or anything that isnt covered in soot from constant traffic pollution...

there's a salvation army that gets warped polish records sometimes!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    http://weather2.staradvertiser.com/
    I've never been off-island during winter... Is my bald head going to freeze without a hat or something?

Thank you all for the advice given in this thread.

Possum Tom said:
    batmon said:
    or anything decent to eat...or any kind of plants...or any grocery stores with other brands besides ragu... or anything that isnt covered in soot from constant traffic pollution...

there's a salvation army that gets warped polish records sometimes!

There's a Food Emporium in the Bridge next to a Conrans and Bed Bath & Beyond.
    A Katagirl Japanese Shop near the Tram.
    A various regular delis, restaurants and pizza.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    my recommendation for late 20/early 30 something professionals moving up here would be to try and hook yourself with a sub-lease initially in a place that is convenient for your work schedule.

i have yet to come across anyone who's first place they lived in the city is where they stayed after at best 2 years. suggesting that most people will find a more desirable place once they get settled into their lifestyle in the city.

a sub-lease of anything from 3-6months would allow you to really feel out the city and boroughs without having to pay out your ass for a deposit/first/last/brokers fees for a place that you might be hoping to get out of after your first year.

i'd go so far as to recommend looking in spots downtown (and i am talking like Wall Street style down town), where it is very accessible for trains/cabs for either East or West side, and you have easy access to spots in BK, Jersey and Queens/Bx aint even that far away. That area is fairly decent for prices and space (btw, your idea of decent for prices and space is about to get mad fucked up) , its safe/clean enough AND oddly enough, its boring enough to ensure that you will go out and check other parts of the city. If you could find a sub-lease down near there, that would be a good call imo.

good luck dude, and feel free to hit me on PM's if you have any specific questions.

• There is a m??o??n??s??t??r??o??s??i??t??y?? village called Trump place that the Donald built on the far West side on the river in the late 1990's. It is truly it's own town and it is another world. It's all people who work in midtown and walk a few blocks east to work daily and live there. It doesn't feel like New York at all except for the fact that it's a high rise. I only know it because I go there whenever I need to find very corporate looking young Chad folks for casting purposes. One of the buildings has a huge gym with a bowling alley and 4 pools. I could never live there but then again if my existence was one of all work, in a midtown office, I could understand wanting to walk home and fall into a luxury building with a lot of amenities to deal. It is hotel-like and studios start at 2,200/month. You can peruse it here

Brian said:
    http://weather2.staradvertiser.com/
    I've never been off-island during winter... Is my bald head going to freeze without a hat or something?

Thank you all for the advice given in this thread.

New York isn't the coldest place in the world, but if you've never had a winter outside Hawaii, it's going to fuck with you. Warm hat, gloves, scarf (if you're into that sort of thing), warm winter jacket, and a couple of good sweaters/sweatshirts are a must. I'd also recommend a good hood on that jacket/a warm hooded sweatshirt, or both. When the wind picks up off the water on a really cold day, it gets impressively cold. Layers are key. Warm socks too. And boots for walking through several inches of snow.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Layers are key.

LAYERS! cause you wind up in places with various levels of heating. from slightly less cold than outside, to pizza oven hot.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I predict: this doesn't happen

• Possum Tom said:

was there last week.

whattup, t*m?!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    Possum Tom said:

was there last week.

whattup, t*m?!

whattup B*****! i was looking into having my birthday at pumps this year. last year we were there on the late night and this weird dude next to me was drawing portraits of the dancers on napkins. he left and they were sitting on the bar. FOLK ART!!

you ready to get money this summer? shit's stacking up.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    whoa t*m, whoa... that sounds like a good + bad idea on so many levels.

i'll be dat.

summer? looking forward to it! let's link up before then though, ok?

brian, i haven't heard back from my friend on that sublet. i'll ask around a bit more.

Possum Tom said:
    empanadamn said:
    Possum Tom said:

was there last week.

whattup, t*m?!

whattup B*****! i was looking into having my birthday at pumps this year. last year we were there on the late night and this weird dude next to me was drawing portraits of the dancers on napkins. he left and they were sitting on the bar. FOLK ART!!

you ready to get money this summer? shit's stacking up.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Brian - what's the timeline? Will you be there end of January? I might be in NYC then - it would be rad to meet up with you and the other Strut folks. if so..

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    come to the OHIO valley and die instead, we need more islanders please.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    jlee said:
    my recommendation for late 20/early 30 something professionals moving up here would be to try and hook yourself with a sub-lease initially in a place that is convenient for your work schedule.

i have yet to come across anyone who's first place they lived in the city is where they stayed after at best 2 years. suggesting that most people will find a more desirable place once they get settled into their lifestyle in the city.

a sub-lease of anything from 3-6months would allow you to really feel out the city and boroughs without having to pay out your ass for a deposit/first/last/brokers fees for a place that you might be hoping to get out of after your first year.

i'd go so far as to recommend looking in spots downtown (and i am talking like Wall Street style down town), where it is very accessible for trains/cabs for either East or West side, and you have easy access to spots in BK, Jersey and Queens/Bx aint even that far away. That area is fairly decent for prices and space (btw, your idea of decent for prices and space is about to get mad fucked up) , its safe/clean enough AND oddly enough, its boring enough to ensure that you will go out and check other parts of the city. If you could find a sub-lease down near there, that would be a good call imo.

good luck dude, and feel free to hit me on PM's if you have any specific questions.

This. Other neighborhoods to include may be Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Ft. Greene in Brooklyn. I always liked Astoria in Queens, there is a really nice park there at the foot of the bridge and lots of apartment stock. I would stay away from the East Side above 23d street, neigborhoods like Gramercy, Murray Hill, Turtle Bay.

But I agree, for a newcomer, the Financial District is probably the best bang for your buck and it shouldn't be difficult to find a sublese or short term lease because there are a lot of new housing stock and my impression is that the building management is somewhat more professional and corporate than some of the smaller landlords in the more historic neigborhoods, so the chances of being scammed or getting a crappy deal is lower. I would try for the East Side of Broadway. Its only a 20 minute walk to China Town, Fulton Fish Market, Little Italy, SoHo, etc. (and it's a safe and interesting walk through downtown new york rather than a forty blcok treck down Sixth Avenue or something). It has trains to everywhere. And Battery Park is a wonderful park in the summer time. I'm spoiled because I live in Little Italy, but I always take a walk heading downtown when I go for one. We spent a lot of summer Saturdays walking through the financial distrit to Battery Park for the fountains and little beer garden. Its smaller scale, narrow one way streets for the most part, off the grid pattern.

Here's an article from New York Magazine on neigborhoods from last year. http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65374/
    It is what it is.

And here's a neigborhood map. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/neighbor/neighbor.pdf

My co-worker just secured an apt in Stuyvesant Town.
    He said while looking that the Upper East Side had great deals and is criminally slept on.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    batmon said:
    He said while looking that the Upper East Side had great deals and is criminally slept on.

I had someone offer me a newly renovated studio in a brownstone on 67th, but i just couldn't live there. s'pose it depends what your priorities are, but if i need to leave the house to decompress, i don't want to be surrounded by chads and beckys playing beer pong. the upper east side is seriously a post-college dormatory for wealthy white kids.

i agree about downtown/financial district. i actually love how eerily quiet it is at night.

Possum Tom said:
    the upper east side is seriously a post-college dormatory for wealthy white kids.

And "Hipsters" are poor?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    batmon said:

I had someone offer me a newly renovated studio in a brownstone on 67th, but i just couldn't live there. s'pose it depends what your priorities are, but if i need to leave the house to decompress, i don't want to be surrounded by chads and beckys playing beer pong. the upper east side is seriously a post-college dormatory for wealthy white kids.

i agree about downtown/financial district. i actually love how eerily quiet it is at night.

Agree with all of this. Lot of nice cheap places in the Financial District, but location-wise, it only makes sense if you're looking to be close to downtown food and fun. And yeah, I'm biased as a lifetime upper west sider, but there's a reason the upper east is so cheap; no one wants to live around those chads. And York -> 4/5/6 is pretty rough twice a day, I hear.

Brian, if you're not chad-averse and want to be close to midtown, you could also probably get away with Hell's Kitchen, but only if you're not working too far east. Otherwise it's a crosstown slog.

• There's not much of a middle in NYC these days. You get in where you fit in. Kind of depends who you are and what you're after.

Neighborhoods include:

Chadingham
    Portlandia
    Eurozone
    Gunclap Central
    Suitville
    Pierogitown
    Buppie Park
    Bleeding Heart Valley

etc

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    There's not much of a middle in NYC these days. You get in where you fit in. Kind of depends who you are and what you're after.

Neighborhoods include:

Chadingham
    Portlandia
    Eurozone
    Gunclap Central
    Suitville
    Pierogitown
    Buppie Park
    Bleeding Heart Valley

etc

LOL!!!!!!!!!!