Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    piedpiper said:

http://www.elbulli-themovie.de/HOME.html
    Trailer:

Really LOVED this cooking documentary about the former el bull Restaurant in Spain. Great if you are into modern cooking

This is good.

Watching Anthony Bourdain's recent episode where he eats at El Bulli just before it closes is fun. The food they eat is crazy.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Randomly clicked these on Netflix the other week. I was not disappoint.

Pulling John (some real life Rocky ish. The story of John Brzenk)

God Grew Tired of Us (a story of Sudanese refugees acclimating to life in the US)

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    talk about alternative nuclear reactor using thorium

[edit] won't let me embed, here's link

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/11/the-thorium-dream-an-investigation-of-the-new-nuclear-power/248312/

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Finishing this up: http://www.archive.org/details/AdamCurtis_TheTrap

This series consists of three one-hour programmes which explore the concept and definition of freedom, specifically, "how a simplistic model of human beings as self-seeking, almost robotic, creatures led to today's idea of freedom."

• This is old but I just barely saw it.

The Smashing Machine (about Mark Kerr and Mark Coleman)

• day said:
    Randomly clicked these on Netflix the other week. I was not disappoint.

Pulling John (some real life Rocky ish. The story of John Brzenk)

God Grew Tired of Us (a story of Sudanese refugees acclimating to life in the US)

both winners, especially the latter.

I started streaming this, never finished it, and now it is no longer streaming...what I saw was damn good though

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    is it me, or does ken burns look like a post-op lez job??

lotsof good stuff here and it gets updated daily:
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just saw Howl.
    Not a documentary, but every word was spoken by the real people who are portrayed in this movie.

Recommended.
    You get to hear the complete Howl poem by Ginsberg, plus learn a little history about censorship.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Interrupters

Racing Dreams

• snosno 332 Posts
    Did some documentary catching-up in the past two weeks:

Keep away from I Need That Record! Sucks.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just wow...

• OH

MY

GOD

:face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt:

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    OH

MY

GOD

:face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt:

I haven't had a chance to see this yet, but Tiffany did a free show at Berkeley in 2000 when I was doing my undergrad. That dude was there and spouting off some serious crazy stalker shit. I recorded like 20 minutes of us talking to him. If you've ever heard my Left Handed Straw cd, there is a hidden track at the end that has this dude saying some cuckoo shit.

Funny side note: Tiffany wanted to play other songs and probably close with I think we're alone now. The crowd kept chanting for her to play it and she ended up playing it second or third. She played it and afterwards the crowd almost completely disappeared. It was kind of sad, but pretty funny.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    OH

MY

GOD

I felt awful after watching that film. It might well be the most exploitative documentary I have ever watched....basically "look at how bat shit crazy and alone these people are...."

That being said, the psychic crystal communication scene made me giggle...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'd call this a must-watch...

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    The Fog of War

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    Saw a rough draft of "We Like It Like That - The Story of Latin Boogaloo" last week. It's a piece by a young New Yorker that's still in production. He's hoping to have it completed in time for next year's film fest circuit. Definitely worth checking out. PS. Your boy mannybolone gets some shine in the doc.

For further info on the project and to donate via kickstarter, check the link below:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/welikeitlikethat/we-like-it-like-that-the-story-of-latin-boogaloo

Also, just saw this a couple days ago.

For fans of pro wrestling WCW / WWF days. Pretty much a true-life version of "The Wrestler" (Mickey Rourke) by way of Scott Hall who played the latin machismo, bad guy role of Razor Ramon.

Can I get a track ID for the song at 1:00?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    vintageinfants said:
    OH

MY

GOD

I haven't had a chance to see this yet, but Tiffany did a free show at Berkeley in 2000 when I was doing my undergrad. That dude was there and spouting off some serious crazy stalker shit. I recorded like 20 minutes of us talking to him. If you've ever heard my Left Handed Straw cd, there is a hidden track at the end that has this dude saying some cuckoo shit.

Funny side note: Tiffany wanted to play other songs and probably close with I think we're alone now. The crowd kept chanting for her to play it and she ended up playing it second or third. She played it and afterwards the crowd almost completely disappeared. It was kind of sad, but pretty funny.

My old roommate went to that show on some "this is gonna be hilarious!" shit, but he ended up finding it too sad to really laugh at.

• Good stuff, this kid is phenomenal. It came out a few years back but I "recently" saw it.

• JusMe said:
    "Still Bill"
    documentary about Bill Withers thats really worth a watch. hes an inspiring dude

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRetUqQbDc4

Very good doc. He reminds me of my late grandfather, so cool and calm.

Been thinking of this thread.
    I have seen so many lately.

Highly recommended:
    Jiro Dreams Of Shushi.

Hatted it:
    Loot.
    Hope no one on here recommended it.

The Art Of The Steal was good. Any Philly heads here want to talk about this?

Trinity and Beyond looks like a must see.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    There is an eight hour long French documentary about Africa in the 20th century which I bought on DVD (3 discs) a few weeks ago though I am far from being able to follow all the french audio. However, I was intrigued by the collection of images I had never seen before in such a wide ranging collection. Also, where they are covering English-speaking Africa, the interviews are left in their original form without French overdubs on the DVD (just French subtitles). On Youtube most people seem to have posted rips from French TV with dubbed French audio

Youtube example:

DVD example: http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societe/vie-sociale/video/4305776001/acte-2-1945-1964-l-ouragan-africain.fr.html

For more, google "Afrique(s), une autre histoire du 20e siecle"

I wish this would receive a release with English subtitles for all the French parts.

• LaserWolf said:
    I can second King of Kong.

Don't forget "Chasing Ghosts" (you can stream it on Netflix.) If anybody has seen this I'll tell them the twisted reality that was revealed after the movie was released that puts whole crazy new spin on things.

Also just watched "Special When Lit" about pinball.

Also "Rock-a-Fire Explosion" about the dudes who collect the anamtronic band from Showbiz pizza and make them play all sorts of crazy shit.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Jam Burglar said:

Don't forget "Chasing Ghosts" (you can stream it on Netflix.) If anybody has seen this I'll tell them the twisted reality that was revealed after the movie was released that puts whole crazy new spin on things.

Wha?....I must know the details. Hit me up when you have a second.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    There is an eight hour long French documentary about Africa in the 20th century which I bought on DVD (3 discs) a few weeks ago though I am far from being able to follow all the french audio. However, I was intrigued by the collection of images I had never seen before in such a wide ranging collection. Also, where they are covering English-speaking Africa, the interviews are left in their original form without French overdubs on the DVD (just French subtitles). On Youtube most people seem to have posted rips from French TV with dubbed French audio

Youtube example:

DVD example: http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societe/vie-sociale/video/4305776001/acte-2-1945-1964-l-ouragan-africain.fr.html

For more, google "Afrique(s), une autre histoire du 20e siecle"

I wish this would receive a release with English subtitles for all the French parts.

This looks really interesting. Just ordered. Thanks B.

• JectWon said:
    Jam Burglar said:

It's better if you've already watch the flick first
    But here you go, click here

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Jam Burglar said:
    JectWon said:
    Jam Burglar said:

It's better if you've already watch the flick first
    But here you go, click here

I totally got the creep vibe from that guy when I watched the movie. That is beyond fucked up.