Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Here in Sao Paulo, I just caught a documentary about the life of Itamar Assump????o. I was walking down Augusta and I saw a poster that almost looked like Eddie Murphy??s Raw or Ike Turner. My friend Juka explained this is really good brazillian music from the 80??s.

At the time I wasn??t the least bit interested. Later that day we sat down and listen to the music and WOW, man Itamar is fucking incredible. A wonderful overlooked genius not well known outside of Brazil. He was a hilarious charismatic and strong independent musician. His music is very Brazillian but also very experimental and nothing else sounds like him. You get to hear about his life story told from friends and family members and documentary footage of him before he passed.

If you never heard about him before like me than this is an excellent way to get familiar with his work.

- spidey

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Finally caught this yesterday. Could have been a touch shorter, but it was really thoughtfully done. One of my favorite docs by Herzog.

Playing at TIFF in Toronto until Thursday...

• DOR said:
    Just watched this. Wow... Didn't know the truth about the famous McDonalds coffee suit.

Tort reform mind blown.

This was great and eye opening. Never heard anyone be critical of tort reform so I never really questioned it before seeing this...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw the Basquiat doc a few weeks ago.

I am sure it is mentioned here somewhere.

Recommended.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    meistromoco said:
    DOR said:
    Just watched this. Wow... Didn't know the truth about the famous McDonalds coffee suit.

Tort reform mind blown.

This was great and eye opening. Never heard anyone be critical of tort reform so I never really questioned it before seeing this...

Have not seen this but I heard the real story behind it. McD's did one hell of a job spinning the story in their favor.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Did McD's really spin it?

Always seemed like more of an urban legend at the time fueled by right wing politicos.

What always bothered me was not the attack on lawyers, but the attack on juries.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DOR said:

Tort reform mind blown.

• Dolo76Dolo76 64 Posts
    m.o.p-straight from the projects

If you a MOP fan, its good, they walk around brownsville and be doing stuff like making the bootleggers shook, shaking em down to make sure they dont bootleg MOPs stuff lol.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    not a documentary , a movie but portrays historical actions of colonialism and repression and the fight against those powers.

Outside The Law - Hors-la-loi

cd1
    http://www.putlocker.com/file/2O99ZJUOYVY8WS00
    cd2
    http://www.putlocker.com/file/1P3LWKG0UNVOWKOK

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    Dear Zachary
    A documentary about Adults accused of child molestation in Bakersfield..horrible. Can't remember the name, caught it on Netflix.

Was itCapturing the Friedmans? That was a really interesting, crazy-ass movie that was definitely worth watching and that I will never watch again.

Dear Zachary is the most harrowing film i have seen in a long while, i cried my eyes out.

I finally watched Dear Zachary last night. I could never have guessed what happened at the end. The interviews were excellent and while the strength of Andrew's friends and family was so touching, the acts of evil by that woman were so incomprehensible. Beyond me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    meistromoco said:
    DOR said:

Tort reform mind blown.

Have not seen this but I heard the real story behind it. McD's did one hell of a job spinning the story in their favor.

You should check it out if you get the chance. The mcdonalds issue is just a small part of the film, but ties everything together quite well. It's pretty crazy what was able to be accomplished starting with that case.

Short and barely focuses on the production of his music.

But it's beautifully shot and serves as a nice audio-visual accompaniment to the Patrick Humphries biography (highly recommended, if you're a fan).

It's a bit of a revelation to hear his mother's music:

• I'm eating up this thread!

These are well known I guess, but didn't notice 'em here:

80 blocks from tiffany's (youtube: )

both Yes Men documentaries are very inspiring (trailer youtube: )

Maestro is a must for disco - house and overall club heads (youtube: )

Cheers!

• I watched Bobby Fischer against the world on HBO. GREAT documentary.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I can't be bothered to look back and see if this has already been posted.

ketan said:

Short and barely focuses on the production of his music.

His sister was kind of fly huh?

I remember there was a really funky song on the soundtrack that I was looking for...

I can't place this song. I didn't know Nick Drake got down like that. Anybody?

- spidey

i think that's the intro to chime of a city clock, no?

• Hella decent documentary. The director seemed to really direct this into a direction that was not as interesting as it could have been, but still.... definitely worth watching.

ketan said:

No, completely different bassline. Sounds to me like it could've came from the same session though.

- spidey

SPlDEY said:
    ketan said:

No, completely different bassline. Sounds to me like it could've came from the same session though.

my bad - i listened on my weak-ass laptop speakers at first and couldn't hear the bassline at all. yeah, i have no idea what song that is!

there's footage of john wood and robert kirby playing around with multi-tracks for his stuff in the doc - and it sounds like there are multiple bass tracks on that song, and some of the bass work gets pretty busy later on. maybe it's a remix of that session? (wild guess. can you hear that bassline anywhere in the song?)

• Downloaded the HBO Doco from 1995 'High On Crack Street ; Lost lives in Lowell", chronicles Dickie Eklund's crack use and subsequent incarceration amongst other things. File under; Grim yet riveting.

Torrents abound.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I really enjoyed Winnebago Man
    Very interesting character

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane
    http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/theres-something-wrong-with-aunt-diane/index.html#

Heartbreaking and powerful stuff -- it really stayed with me afterwards.

• pimlicosquirrel said:
    I spent many summers as a kid in the late 70's and early 80"s watching the windies tear through the Aussies at the MCG. They were an incredible team who definitely had the swagger and changed the game of cricket for the good. ( as anyone who has fallen asleep watching the pommy batsmen of the era can attest ( Tavare, Boycott, Bob Taylor)

Look forward to that one

In relation to that all-male analysis of the abortion issue going on in that other thread, here's a thought provoking doc that aims to provide a balanced view from both sides...by a male (Tony Kaye):

He doesn't fully succeed in balance, but about as much as you could expect from one male.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Great post. Thanks for all the recommendations ...
    Jaw dropped when I saw the trimpin trailer ... wtf?
    Never heard of this guy?

reminds me of Harry Partch

heres some other recomendations