What has Connecticut Produced???

2»

Comments

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

also just bought this gospel modern soul 12" by Redemption called "Love Was Worth it All" on Last Kingdom. It's from New Haven.

• Options
    Isn't there a Connecticut rap/hip hop comp?

Yeah, Egon put it together and released it on Stones Throw. It was heavy on the "I said rip, rap, the rippity rap, rip-rap-rippity-roo" steez.

LOL!!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

?? Michael J Fox is not from CT!

Yeah ... it seems like that list has a lot of people that perhaps currently reside in CT but aren't actually from CT. For example, 50 Cent is not from Farmington, CT. He bought Tyson's old mansion in Farmington.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

How could you guys forget "The Magic Man"? Hartford, CT representin'!!!

Marlon "The Magic Man" Starling (former World Welterweight Boxing Champion).

don't forget Chad Dawson!

Hey,

That's right, "Bad Chad" is from CT. Dude has skills.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I think Melvin Sparks currently resides in CT.

Best product of Westchester: Washington Irving.

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    The hamburger.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Hey,

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

too bad it doesn't seem like there are any good matchups out there for him... he's too nasty for his own good...

• The hamburger.

Bubbabear from Yahoo Answers disagrees;

"The hamburger was invented in Athens, TX in the 1870's-1880s and introduced to the rest of the world at the 1904 St. Lous World Exposition. Any historical search will bear this out. There are historical records showing it was invented in Texas long before the other pretenders. It's even acknowledged by the Texas Legislature. Besides, that restaurant in Connecticut that claims to be first doesn't even make a real hamburger."

Ahmed has his own take;

"I believe the English Earl of Sandwich (who also invented the sandwich) who lived in the 18th century was the one who invented the Hamburger. He called it that name in honour of Hamburg, Germany. At that time, the British monarchs came originally from Hannover, Germany (near Hamburg).

I've been told that today's hamburger was originall y invented (as you say) in Athens, TX. Others claimed that it was invented in Ohio, Wisconisn and Connecticut...Well, if Texas wasn't the hompelace of the hamburger, then it would be a great shame on the true homeplace, because the fact is that myriads of people have rated Texas burgers as the best.

Also, don't be so bigotric regarding Texas as being the homeplace of the hamburger...what use would this have on the fact that Texas burgers are very delicious?!!!"

Bigotric yo...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The hamburger.

RECOGNIZE! (But don't ask for ketchup.)

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Lyme disease?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    OxyContin: Destroying America from the inside out since 1996.

• Had to bring this one back because it's absolutely CRIMINAL that nobody mentioned Horace Silver, born in Norwalk in 1928.

I think he alone is enough to redeem CT from any perceived lack of musical greatness.

In the non-musical arena...Wiffle Ball. There is no arguing this one like the pizza/hamburger thing...one of the 20th century's greatest innovations comes from, and is still made in, Shelton, CT.

• CT gave me my lovely wife....

Musically , CT has given us the shittest hardcore bands on the planet.

Wasn't Cotique based in CT?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Isn't this dude originally from Connecticut?
    Attached files

• TLinTLin 18 Posts

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    The hamburger.

RECOGNIZE! (But don't ask for ketchup.)

and isnt there something special about Connecticut-Style PIzza?

• DJ_Enki said:

and isnt there something special about Connecticut-Style PIzza?

I wasn't aware there was "CT style pizza" but to sum up the deal with pizza here:

1) There are two places in New Haven--Frank Pepe's and Sally's--that claim to have invented pizza or brought pizza to the US or something like that. Just like the hamburger argument, who really knows.

2) Our standards for pizza are generally very high, thanks to the proximity to NYC and New Haven being a pizza mecca since the 20's.

• A few HipHop and R & B from Westchester - Mt Vernon - Diddy (Puff Daddy), Eddie F, Pete Rock, CL Smooth, Heavy D, YG'z, INI, A.D.O.R.....New Rochelle - Brand Nubian, Future Sound, Rough House Survivors, Scram Jones.....Yonkers - DMX, Drag On, Lox, Mary J Blige, Mona Lisa, Sporty Thieves, Lil Zane....White Plains - Top Quality, Felicia Adams, Matisyahu, Dru Ha (Duck Down)...Mamaroneck - Chis Liggio, J-Zone

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Diddy is from Harlem and was raised in Westchester.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    spirit_of_66 said:
    Had to bring this one back because it's absolutely CRIMINAL that nobody mentioned Horace Silver, born in Norwalk in 1928.

Whoever posted the Vatican Commandos mentioned this on page 1.

• Hopkins rematch. Bute. Ward in a few years. I dunno, Dawson never seemed that special to me. Great pure boxer, but I dont see the hype..

p_gunn said:
    Hey,

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

too bad it doesn't seem like there are any good matchups out there for him... he's too nasty for his own good...

• Threadjack/sidebar: from my blog, some Westchester notables:

http://plantweed.blogspot.com/search?q=westchester

• Gary Higgins - Red Hash

• J i m s t e r said:
    spirit_of_66 said:
    Had to bring this one back because it's absolutely CRIMINAL that nobody mentioned Horace Silver, born in Norwalk in 1928.

Oops...I missed that one, but no regrets as it looks like others still had things to say about CT and environs.

But to elaborate, Horace wasn't just born in CT, he grew up in Norwalk and went to high school there. Didn't move to NYC until 1951.

Side note: there's a great store in Westport called Sally's Place that specializes in jazz. Unfortunately you won't find great vinyl there but it's worth a visit just to talk to the proprietor, Sally, who went to high school with Horace Silver back in the day. She's unbelievably knowledgeable and incredibly nice, and has met many of the jazz greats which you can tell from all the signed photos on the wall and her stories. And if you can tolerate CDs at all she's got lots of rare and OOP stuff.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    spirit_of_66 said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    spirit_of_66 said:

Oops...I missed that one, but no regrets as it looks like others still had things to say about CT and environs.

But to elaborate, Horace wasn't just born in CT, he grew up in Norwalk and went to high school there. Didn't move to NYC until 1951.

Side note: there's a great store in Westport called Sally's Place that specializes in jazz. Unfortunately you won't find great vinyl there but it's worth a visit just to talk to the proprietor, Sally, who went to high school with Horace Silver back in the day. She's unbelievably knowledgeable and incredibly nice, and has met many of the jazz greats which you can tell from all the signed photos on the wall and her stories. And if you can tolerate CDs at all she's got lots of rare and OOP stuff.

Ah, Sally's Place. I didn't go this last time I was back in CT, but I usually go and end up copping something just to support her store. But the whole Fairfield/Whiteport--oops, I mean Westport--area sucks for records, for the most part, sad to say.