What happened to NOT being a cheesy corporate bitch?

123457»

Comments

• Sadly, I don't think the majority of SoulStrut wants to hear it yet either. Thank you for sharing it, Haze.

I'm curious...what does your friend say about Monch's infamous "I buttf*ck MCs from the rear" line?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Herm said:
    Sadly, I don't think the majority of SoulStrut wants to hear it yet either.
    See the thing is, it could be more disinterest than disapproval.

IMHO I think it's good that he's decided to speak out like that, but I wasn't interested in what Murs was putting out before he released this, so I'm not going to start getting hyped about it just because.

• staxwax said:

Also the socially conscious / sensitive lyrics being referenced in some of the posts above kind of pale in comparison to the straight up militant aggression in say PE's political content -so while I agree there are plenty of examples of that out there, its not rattling any cages or making any waves imo.

I think folks might be trying to find another way to express the same sentiment without the utilization of a more aggressive violent approach. We (society/man) tried that. It had its time and place.

Or perhaps it's too early to incite riots? I dont honestly don't know the temperature of the peoples collective emotional state. We know folks are mad but we're not french revolution mad, even though we've effectively been told to eat cake. I'm also not suggesting we [i]should[/] be holding knives to the throats of our enemies*, but you do make an interesting and marked observation that the current state of affairs lacks the fervor of our predecessors examples.

*whoever they may be / SOPA supporters, OWS oppositions, economic reform opposition etc.

• Okem said:
    Herm said:
    Sadly, I don't think the majority of SoulStrut wants to hear it yet either.
    See the thing is, it could be more disinterest than disapproval.

Yeah, you're probably right.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    haze25 said:
    I played it for my best friend and he just said "no comment", when i provoked him more he said "I can't listen to some faggot love song". This same dude watched a Danny Brown video i posted on FB and said "Dude looks,like he swallows dicks" and said he would never listen to anyone who "looked like that". I asked him "What if Pharoahe Monch (his favorite rapper) were gay?" he said he couldn't listen to him if that were the case.

Seems like a good dude!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    cove said:
    haze25 said:
    I played it for my best friend and he just said "no comment", when i provoked him more he said "I can't listen to some faggot love song". This same dude watched a Danny Brown video i posted on FB and said "Dude looks,like he swallows dicks" and said he would never listen to anyone who "looked like that". I asked him "What if Pharoahe Monch (his favorite rapper) were gay?" he said he couldn't listen to him if that were the case.

Seems like a good dude!

It's frustrating, and really sad when he says shit like this........i'm just using him as my main example cause he is a "hip hop head" and showcases alot of what is wrong w/ the anti skinny jean/no homo hip hop generation.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    There's quite an interesting article up on HipHopDX touching on similar issues

Hip Hop artists have become Hip Hop moguls, breaking free from the limitations of music and breaking into a space where they can control the terms and profits of their work. However, this overall shift from a focus on music to a focus on capital not only affects the music industry itself, but also results in a disconnect between Hip Hop artists and the people who listen to their music. As the average American suffers the brunt of unemployment, debt, and decreasing access to education, Hip Hop lyrics continue to bask in a world of expensive whips, vacations in Paris, and frivolously spent resources. The divide between lyrics and reality has been swimming quietly under the surface for a long time, but the Occupy Wall Street movement has forced this divide to be seriously scrutinized and for those who grew up on Hip Hop to wonder when rappers went from fighting the Powers That Be, to becoming the Powers That Be.

Occupy Hip Hop: The Dilemma Of The Rap Music Mogul

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    The premise of this thread is fucked. The pop mainstream is the visible face of corporate entertainment culture. That's not where you're going to find the social revolutionaries you're hoping for. Stop waiting for George Clooney to fall into your approval range and do something yourself.

This^^^^^

And also it seems when talking about 'revolutionary' music the focus seems to be on US or English speaking acts... thats a bit of a self centred fallacy right there, I'm sure there are plenty of cutting edge and consensus challenging artists out there that A. Are not in the mainstream or in the pop sphere and B. Are not coming from a western english speaking nation