New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Here's a great reworking of Sly Stone's Family Affair. Anthony's voice fits great with the song imo...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm sure all you nostalgia hounds will just love this.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    New Omar! Bonus - it's really good.

Omar - The Man from Kriswontwo on Vimeo.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    For people that missed it in 2009, looks like there's been a ltd repress of Burial & Four Tet's first collab:

http://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/asp/view_product.asp?id=13671

Get in quick, already sold out at another distributor.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Brit dudes???what do you think of the new ZippyKk 12"? I think it's some of the best acid flop I've heard this year. Almost bordering on loner brostep.

DB_Cooper said:
    Brit dudes???what do you think of the new ZippyKk 12"? I think it's some of the best acid flop I've heard this year. Almost bordering on loner brostep.

There's a decent mix by Sepalcure here that's almost loner brostep. Almost, but more deep house garage type vibes. And it's a 320! Possibly worth it just for the inclusion of that recent Moodymann bootleg 'Live In Seattle'.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's not like we Brits the only ones at it.. I recently found out that moombahton, electro cumbia, tecno brega, tribal guarachero & blip-hop are all bona fide actual micro genres, and if you laugh about that on the internet, feelings will get hurt.
    At least two of those are American. And apparently Korn invented Dubstep years ago. So. Frankly, it's clearly all your fault anyway.

Oh. My. Gosh.
    I feel like a naughty kid listening to this, can't say why it puts a grin on my face, but it does.

Sounds old, but it's new. Honest

Duderonomy said:

Oh. My. Gosh.
    I feel like a naughty kid listening to this, can't say why it puts a grin on my face, but it does.

Sounds old, but it's new. Honest

MOTHER.

FUCKING.

BANGLASH

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That's great.

Yeah it really is superb - had me giggling like a teenager again and fighting the urge to make the walls shake with it. Reminds me a lot of my favourite period of DnB around the mid nineties metalheadz/31 records/etc releases.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Jungle definitely seems to be making a comeback. I considered making a thread about it.. but I'm not sure how the locals would take it.

Okem said:
    Jungle definitely seems to be making a comeback. I considered making a thread about it.. but I'm not sure how the locals would take it.

Yes! Do it M***! As I no longer party I have lost all contact with the scene so would love to hear some new stuff that actually interests me.

First impression is that it's better than the Massive Attack thing, but I haven't had to change my underwear. It may grow on me though.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:
    Okem said:

Yes! Do it M***! As I no longer party I have lost all contact with the scene so would love to hear some new stuff that actually interests me.
    You've heard the Zombie ep that came out at the begining of the month no? That features a fair amount of breaks and old school elements.

Unfortunately I'm not really checking for new stuff, I just keep seeing it mentioned as a point of inspiration for current producers. And dnb mixes keep popping up on my radar for the first time in a decade.

Here's a mix from a few years ago by BenUFO (Hessle Audio) of newish stuff.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11654724/Investigation at 45rpm.mp3
    1. fracture and neptune - a clue (bassbin 2007)
    2. alpha omega - steppa dub (forestry service 2005)
    3. sabre - point blank (bassbin 2007)
    4. naphta - soundclash 2 (lightless 2007)
    5. martsman - antifunk (counter intelligence 2006)
    6. elementz of noize - stick up (SOUR 1995)
    7. die - reincarnation (full cycle 1996)
    8. accident and emergency - flyest gangsta (looney toonz 2004)
    9. breakage - love u so (digital soundboy 2007)
    10. primary motive - s (creative source 1997)
    11. graphic - heroine (offshore 2006)
    12. polar - implants (certificate 18 1999)
    13. sileni - failspan (subtle audio 2006)
    14. dissident - taiga (subvert central 2006)
    15. beta 2 and zero tolerance - new dawn [naphta's twisty remix] (bassbin 2002)
    16. hidden agenda - swing time (metalheadz 1996)
    17. seba - hidden reflections (secret operations 2003)
    18. pieter k - stop on a dime (metaformal 2002)
    19. sonar circle - face off [director's cut mix] (reinforced 1999)
    20. someone else - ploosh [morgan packard remix] (microcosm music 2004)
    21. survival - sidewinder (DNAudio 2007)
    22. trace - after hours (deejay 1996)
    23. dak - nutcase (counter intelligence 2006)
    24. deep blue and blame - transitions [dom remix] (moving shadow 1997)
    25. instra:mental - comanche (darkestral 2007)
    26. hokusai - red lights (source direct 1996)
    27. nucleus and paradox - delphian (esoteric 2005)
    28. macc - set the world on fire (transmute 2007)

but tbh most of the newer stuff doesn't do much for me. If it sounds like something from the mid 90s than it's interesting enough, but a lot of the drum step or electro inspired stuff just sounds horrible to me.

They still love an Amen though. this was just released.

The Amen Warfare Minimix by Tim Reaper

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This a year or so old now but Rockwell is definitely worth checking. He's not strictly a dnb producer doe.

Icicle

This is interesting in an a kinda dnb not dnb way.

+

for nostalgia purposes

http://www.factmag.com/2011/02/12/20-best-jungle/

&

http://drumtrip.co.uk/

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Ignore the talking and skip to 1:30.

Yeah I had actually forgotten about that Zomby EP but funnily enough this thread reminded me yesterday so got a copy to check out now - hoping it's as on the money as his where were you in 92.

Cheers for the link to the mix, will give it a go but yeah this was my problem with a lot of the new stuff. Back when I was "blogging" I did a bit on Metalheadz and nineties DnB and that spurred me to look for some comparative new stuff but for some reason most of it left me cold - was either too clever for its own good or just felt like the dance music equivalent of an artist like Statik Selektah - someone doing a reasonable imitation of a sound that was perfect 15 years earlier.

That Rockwell isn't bad, sounds like something that could have been released around New Forms.

The Icicle again isn't bad but t me it sounds similar to the sort of track I'd pick up when commercial music went through a stage of commissiong DnB producers to do remixes for 12 inch versions of their latest RnB act.

It may just be my tastes but part of my reason for losing contact with the scene (apart from being too old to party) was that I was frustrated that possible different avenues of experimentation trialled by people like J Magik and Photek were dropped in favour of what became almost a template for a techstep/jazzy/whatever release.

Ah ok that third one you've posted by the unknown artist is rather nice. I think I may have to track that down.

Duderonomy said:

Ignore the talking and skip to 1:30.

God, links to this are disappearing from youtube as fast as premier league highlights which seems a bit harsh considering it's a snippet of a song from a radio show. Finally heard it though and, yep, it' s Burial alright.

Okem said:

Can't get this link to work. Am I being stupid (about the link, not everything else)?

Duderonomy said:
    Okem said:

Can't get this link to work. Am I being stupid (about the link, not everything else)?

Yeah took me a moment due to post Xmas work party brain melt but copy the whole thing into the URL rather than just the linked bit (i.e. "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11654724/Investigation at 45rpm.mp3")

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    These aren't exactly brand new, the first came out about 2 years ago, but they're favourites when it comes to new music successfully incorporating jungle/dnb elements without sounding like some kind of retro pastiche.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Okem said:

Yeah took me a moment due to post Xmas work party brain melt but copy the whole thing into the URL rather than just the linked bit (i.e. "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11654724/Investigation at 45rpm.mp3")
    Didn't notice that. sry. Yes Junior is correct it should be one long URL..

You should be able to right click and 'save as' now Duder.

Okem said:
    Junior said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Okem said:

Didn't notice that. sry. Yes Junior is correct it should be one long URL..

You should be able to right click and 'save as' now Duder.

Cheers! Also on a post work-X-Mas-party hangover. Arrived at event that had free wine flowing and loads of good nibbles, ate almost no nibbles, got chatted up for about an hour by an older married woman which was pretty cool, went on to the pub afterwards, finally made it home and played Pro Evo with my housemate for money (his idea). He started the gambling at ??10 for one match. I agreed, and we began playing. He promptly scored, and wanted to up the ante to ??50. I disagreed on the grounds that he can't do that mid-match after he's scored. I went on to win 2-1, and he welched on the bet saying it was for ??50 or nothing, which I told him was just stupid. Woke up late for work, having ripped nada for record day :weaksauce:
    Will make amends tonight with any luck.

That sounds rather preferable to mine which consisted of making our own way to Leicester Sq. before being shunted into a shitty little club, given one free glass of cheap bubbly, shepherded up stairs for a meal (cold chewy fried brie, a dry bit of turkey with two bits of potato and a single piece of broccoli, a stale christmas pudding with a skin on it you had to saw through, one half bottle of wine) and then taken back to the club area to collect our free two bottles of stella. Living the London High Life has never felt so good.

Thankfully my survival instincts kicked in and I wisely countered this experience by drinking copiously before during and after the meal and then carefully avoiding the list of people the one remaining working part of my brain were highlighting as someone-who-should-really-be-told-how-it-is.

No pro evo though :(

Um, eh, new music, anyway. That Ramadanman track is really good.

What are people's thoughts on Modeselektor?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Edit: it appears to be dead.

More dnb for your earhole.

FACT mix 292 - Raime (Oct '11) by factmag

FACT mix 292 ??? Raime (Oct ???11)

Tracklist:
    1. Steve C and Monita ??? The Razors Edge ??? Skeleton Records 1994
    2. DJ Buz ??? Slave ??? No U-Turn 1994
    3. 4 Horsemen Of The Apocalypse ??? We Are The Future (Phantasy & Aphrodite Mix) ??? Tone Def 1994
    4. Blame & Justice ??? Nightvision (D???Cruze Mix) ??? Moving Shadow 1994
    5. Undercover Agent ??? Dubplate Circles ??? Juice 1996
    6. Dillinja ??? Deadly Deep Subs Remix ??? Deadly Vinyl 1995
    7. The Truper ??? Vol 1 Side B ??? Street Beats 1994
    8. Doc Scott ??? It???s Yours ??? Metalheadz 1994
    9. DJ Tamsin & The Monk ??? A Better Place (Baby Kane Remix) ??? White House Records 1994

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    double.

Okem said:

5. Undercover Agent ??? Dubplate Circles ??? Juice 1996

The Majistrate remix, from 2002 no less, is the best version imo. Still amazed that somebody made a tune like it in '02.

The new Fanu album has some nice cuts. It's digital only unfortunately, but check the clips for a mix of boom-bap, bass music, DnB etc.

http://www.digital-tunes.net/releases/serendipity