Republican Presidential Debate last night

Comments

• It's sad when people equate success with wealth. It's like saying if your main goal in life is anything other than becoming rich, you are a failure and deserve to be poor.

• Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    It's sad when people equate success with wealth. It's like saying if your main goal in life is anything other than becoming rich, you are a failure and deserve to be poor.

It's become a religion of sorts in this country. Truly disgusting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    Tonight was the worst yet. It was some sort of necrophiliac circle jerk featuring corpses who'd been killed by head shots.

I'm starting to think I should have emigrated when I had the chance.

Don't let us stop you.

Reading the press the highlight seems to be Bauchmann calling Cain the anti-Christ.
    Or more fairly, a joking suggestion that his tax plan was satanic.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Reading the press the highlight seems to be Bauchmann calling Cain the anti-Christ.
    Or more fairly, a joking suggestion that his tax plan was satanic.

Well, in all fairness, 999 is 666 upside down.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Kinda odd debate. I've never seen so much bickering.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DOR said:

This was Kill Herman Cain Night....a consorted effort.

I was hoping for a drawn out gop primary with no clear leader and lots of hurt feelings.

I expected Trump and Perry to flame out quickly. I was hoping Bachmann could hang around.

It now appears that Romney will have this all wrapped up by the end of February.

Who will Romney's running mate be?
    Someone with solid religious and right wing credentials, but low negatives.
    Could be Daniels, I don't know enough about him.
    Rubio would be a real good choice.
    Brownback?
    Christie? (I doubt it)

Looking at my speculative list I am thinking that Romney / Rubio would be near unbeatable.
    Rubio gives the ticket FL and takes away Latino and Southern votes from Obama. He also energizes (maybe) the base. From the little I know of him he is not likely to make lots of gaffs.

3 years ago Obama got out the youth vote and the minority vote. Something that Kerry and Gore failed to do. Will the 2 segments of society with the highest unemployment rates and the lowest voting rates turn out for him again?

Way too early

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DOR said:

This was Kill Herman Cain Night....a consorted effort.

There was a bunch of odd things.

One that stuck out.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't give a shit either way, but Romney smacked Perry down pretty hard in that clip. dude looked ethered.

• Perry's second accusation about Romney's illegal landscapers was also pretty funny

Next month, another debate! ... on foreign policy

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2011/10/Heritage-to-Co-Host-Debate-with-AEI-CNN

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Someone with solid religious and right wing credentials

What I don't get is that Jesus wasn't right wing. He wouldn't vote Republican. The hypocrisy of the American religious right is very strange. Have any of them actually read the Bible? Or read anything? Do they engage their brains before they talk/ever?

So many questions.

Oh, and best road sign I saw while in Memphis was PED XING. Could be a band name or an Oriental philosopher.

• SoulOnIce said:
    I don't give a shit either way, but Romney smacked Perry down pretty hard in that clip. dude looked ethered.

There was one point where Perry had a look on his face like he suddenly realized he'd bitten into a turd. I wish I could get a screen grab. It was a magical mixture of shock and disgust.

• I've said it once and I'll say it again, criticizing these dicksacks is like booing at the Special Olympics.

• LaserWolf said:

Oh, and best road sign I saw while in Memphis was PED XING. Could be a band name or an Oriental philosopher.

ya musta missed the Joe's sign

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, criticizing these dicksacks is like booing at the Special Olympics.

Hah.
    Also stopped by Shangri La*. Nice place, I only had half an hour, but could've spent a few days there. Huey's across the road did good burgers too.

Another random thing I learned while in Memphis. People with animals (like goats, chickens, horses), will keep donkeys because they attack coyotes. I went to a relative's farm to see these ferocious attack donkeys. They looked like regular donkeys. I was assured that they kick harder than a horse, and that they are naturally inquisitive and unafraid of coyotes, or anything else, and will bite and kick a coyote to death.

* from your city guide - gracias.

Duderonomy said:
    . People with animals (like goats, chickens, horses), will keep donkeys because they attack coyotes. I went to a relative's farm to see these ferocious attack donkeys. They looked like regular donkeys. I was assured that they kick harder than a horse, and that they are naturally inquisitive and unafraid of coyotes, or anything else, and will bite and kick a coyote to death.

Donkeys also kill snakes and almost every farm in Texas has one for that reason.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Looking at my speculative list I am thinking that Romney / Rubio would be near unbeatable.
    Rubio gives the ticket FL and takes away Latino and Southern votes from Obama. He also energizes (maybe) the base. From the little I know of him he is not likely to make lots of gaffs.

Romney is an incredibly hopeless campaigner and I think Obama would kick his ass on every level, including fundraising. Romney had his ass kicked by John Kerry in a Senate race. He flamed out in spectacular fashion in 2008. He's about as "unbeatable" as the Los Angeles Clippers.

Romney gives lots of GOP types the creeps and I just can't see a full effort from them if he's the nominee. He's a guy that donated to Planned Parenthood and said he was more gay-friendly than Ted Kennedy when he was starting out in Massachusetts politics. Please tell me how that guy energizes the snakehandling gay-bashing fucknuts that form the GOP base. I can't see it.

It is true that the hard core, activist, anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-immigrant GOP primary voter is creeped out by Romney. They are only a percent of the primary voters, and a small (20-30) percent of the general electorate.

Romney's primary negatives (being a moderate) will be a plus with the GOP general election voter and independents, and even some disenfranchised Ds.

I never said that Romney would energizes the snakehandling gay-bashing fucknuts that form the GOP base.
    I said Rubio would.
    Unlike Palin, Rubio is smart, experienced, a good campaigner, a good fundraiser, likable. He does not present himself as a nutso right winger, but his views are all there.

Mitt Romney lost a senate race to a popular incumbent in a Democratic state? Wow! He must be hopeless.
    Hey! Didn't he win a governors race in Massachusetts? That must have been before he was hopeless.

We can debate how good or bad Romney will be campaigning against Obama.
    We know he has done very well against the Republican field.

What about the Democratic voter? Remember the one that thought that Obama would fix the economy, stop US military intervention around the world, reform immigration.
    How do you think that voter feels about Obama's Attempts to corporatize education?
    Arrest medical marijuana growers in Oregon and providers in CA?
    His failure to prosecute corporate misconduct and securities fraud?
    His support for the Bush tax cuts?

You and I want Obama to beat whoever the GOP nominates. We can laugh at them and call them all kinds of clever names. But the American voter is going to weigh the one against the other and things do not look good for Obama.

Duderonomy said:
    LaserWolf said:

Someone with solid religious and right wing credentials

What I don't get is that Jesus wasn't right wing. He wouldn't vote Republican. The hypocrisy of the American religious right is very strange. Have any of them actually read the Bible? Or read anything? Do they engage their brains before they talk/ever?

So many questions.

The American religious voter, like everyone else, takes what they want from the Bible and leave the rest.
    On abortion and homosexuality they are very religious.
    On social welfare and immigration they do not consult the Bible.

The liberal religious voter does the opposite. Except with abortion where the Bible clear states that life begins at first breath.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    The liberal religious voter does the opposite. Except with abortion where the Bible clear states that life begins at first breath.

No, it doesn't.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/abortion/f/bible_abortion.htm

What?
    Genesis 2:7:
    [G-d] breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Life begins at first breath according to the Bible.

Ummm... that was my point.

[

What about the Democratic voter? Remember the one that thought that Obama would fix the economy, stop US military intervention around the world, reform immigration.
    How do you think that voter feels about Obama's Attempts to corporatize education?

You and I want Obama to beat whoever the GOP nominates. We can laugh at them and call them all kinds of clever names. But the American voter is going to weigh the one against the other and things do not look good for Obama.

What about them? If you think the Dem voter is going to do a comparative analysis between Obama and whoever the GOP nominee is, then choose the GOP nominee, then please to pass whatever it is you're smoking my way. Thanks.

Here's the deal, none of the GOP nominees would have done or not done the things you're claiming Obama hasn't or has done. The most glaring examples being the Bush tax cuts and lack of securities prosecution. At least Obama can point to a trade off he made for the extension of the BTC, the lowering of the payroll tax. At least Obama can point to the attempt at securities law reform (Dodd-Frank). Let's not forget that every GOP candidate wants to repeal D-F.

So, whatcu talmbout, Willis?

FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:

The voting hasn't started yet.

He got destroyed in 2008.

He's a miserable campaigner who comes across as phony even to some of his supporters. He'll be attacked quite rightly as the ultimate flip-flopper. I can't think of a candidate quite like him, ever, in terms of changing his mind on major issues.

And that's before we get to an examination of what's supposed to be his strength - his business career and how he supposedly knows how to "create jobs." His fortune was made by destroying jobs, not creating them.

If by doing well, LaserWolf means hasn't won a single straw poll, then yeah, Romney is blazing.

Bon Vivant said:
    LaserWolf said:

It is true that the hard core, activist, anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-immigrant GOP primary voter is creeped out by Romney. They are only a percent of the primary voters, and a small (20-30) percent of the general electorate.

Romney's primary negatives (being a moderate) will be a plus with the GOP general election voter and independents, and even some disenfranchised Ds.

I never said that Romney would energizes the snakehandling gay-bashing fucknuts that form the GOP base.
    I said Rubio would.
    Unlike Palin, Rubio is smart, experienced, a good campaigner, a good fundraiser, likable. He does not present himself as a nutso right winger, but his views are all there.

Mitt Romney lost a senate race to a popular incumbent in a Democratic state? Wow! He must be hopeless.
    Hey! Didn't he win a governors race in Massachusetts? That must have been before he was hopeless.

What about them? If you think the Dem voter is going to do a comparative analysis between Obama and whoever the GOP nominee is, then choose the GOP nominee, then please to pass whatever it is you're smoking my way. Thanks.

Not what I said.
    The general election is not about The Democrat Voter against The Republican Voter.
    Good try though.

Here's the deal, none of the GOP nominees would have done or not done the things you're claiming Obama hasn't or has done. The most glaring examples being the Bush tax cuts and lack of securities prosecution. At least Obama can point to a trade off he made for the extension of the BTC, the lowering of the payroll tax. At least Obama can point to the attempt at securities law reform (Dodd-Frank). Let's not forget that every GOP candidate wants to repeal D-F.

I am talking about who will stay home, who will turn out and most importantly the swing voters who decide elections.

You can sit back all confident and think Obama has this locked up because everyone naturally sees things just like you. Or you can take a detached realistic historical view.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:

Got it, but you tried to support it with bad evidence.

Got it. Next time I will use About.com instead of the Bible when arguing about the Bible.
    That way I wont confuse you and force you to use critical thinking.
    Or Krugman. Next time I will quote Krugman since he is indisputable.

Bon Vivant said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:

The voting hasn't started yet.

He got destroyed in 2008.

He's a miserable campaigner who comes across as phony even to some of his supporters. He'll be attacked quite rightly as the ultimate flip-flopper. I can't think of a candidate quite like him, ever, in terms of changing his mind on major issues.

And that's before we get to an examination of what's supposed to be his strength - his business career and how he supposedly knows how to "create jobs." His fortune was made by destroying jobs, not creating them.

If by doing well, LaserWolf means hasn't won a single straw poll, then yeah, Romney is blazing.

Time will tell.
    I could be way off and it could be Bachmann, Paul or Cain who have done well in the straw polls so far.
    I have been wrong before, many times.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:

Got it, but you tried to support it with bad evidence.

Got it. Next time I will use About.com instead of the Bible when arguing about the Bible.
    That way I wont confuse you and force you to use critical thinking.
    Or Krugman. Next time I will quote Krugman since he is indisputable.

The reference I used included multiple citations from the Bible. You only used one.

Then you claimed that yours was the definitive one, which is just completely stupid and wrong.

You claimed that the Bible is clear about something when it is demonstrably not clear.

You seem to confuse yourself 24 hours a day and you're basically the last person on Earth who should be lecturing anyone about critical thinking.

You are not much for subtleties are you?

LaserWolf said:

Not what I said.
    The general election is not about The Democrat Voter against The Republican Voter.
    Good try though.

I am talking about who will stay home, who will turn out and most importantly the swing voters who decide elections.

You can sit back all confident and think Obama has this locked up because everyone naturally sees things just like you. Or you can take a detached realistic historical view.

My bad. I must have misunderstood when you said "What about the Dem voter?" I thought you meant Dem voters, and weren't including swing voters in that description. Why do you think Dem voters will stay home? There's nothing to supprt that claim. 2012 is a very important election. Maybe, you don't agree?

You can sit back and act lack you're taking a detached realistic historical view, because everyone naturally should see things just like you, but it seems to me that you're all confident that Obama will lose. However, you've pointed to nothing of any substance to back that position up. Also, the weakness of the GOP field further supports the idea that Obama will win. Rubio can't save them, even if he is the VP nominee. Which, by the way, there's really no reason to think he will be. McCain thought Palin would shoo-in it for him, too, with the GOP extremists. The realistic, historical view is that it didn't work and he lost, big time. I can sit back and be all confident in that.

Bon Vivant said:
    LaserWolf said:

Not what I said.
    Good try though.

My bad. I must have misunderstood when you said "What about the Dem voter?" I thought you meant Dem voters, and weren't including swing voters in that description. Why do you think Dem voters will stay home? There's nothing to supprt that claim. 2012 is a very important election. Maybe, you don't agree?

You can sit back and act lack you're taking a detached realistic historical view, because everyone naturally should see things just like you, but it seems to me that you're all confident that Obama will lose. However, you've pointed to nothing of any substance to back that position up. Also, the weakness of the GOP field further supports the idea that Obama will win. Rubio can't save them, even if he is the VP nominee. Which, by the way, there's really no reason to think he will be. McCain thought Palin would shoo-in it for him, too, with the GOP extremists. The realistic, historical view is that it didn't work and he lost, big time. I can sit back and be all confident in that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. People will read what they want to read.

A while back Luck posted his reasons why Obama broke his heart.
    If you missed it you should try to find it, great post.
    If his post doesn't convince you, look at the poll numbers. It is no secret that many of his supporters are disappointed.

Out here in the PNW the Obama interior dept is continuing the anti-environment policies of the Bush administrations. I'm not talking law, I am talking policies.
    I have many friends who are teachers. They are very upset that the Obama Education Dept is trying to corporatize education. Much worse than Bush.
    Treasury and economic advisers? Can you say Crony Capitalism?
    Foreign Policy? Expanding wars, assassinating American citizens, CIA using phony vaccination programs, torture of Bradley Manning, is this what you wanted when you voted for him?

I really don't want to start Obama bashing and I don't know why you are asking me to. Did you really not know any of this?

I am not confident Obama will lose.
    What I am afraid of is people not taking the possibility seriously because they think the GOP candidates are a joke. I have seen many jokes in my life, Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Bush, they were not funny.