Quitting smoking

Comments

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    It's all mental from here on out.

Yes, good job at makin it to ten days... the nicotine will be outta your system.
    I smoked for ten years, have been off for about six. Remember, once a smoker, always a smoker.

Good luck.

Another trick that some folks do: take the coin you'd be putting towards smokes over the next year aside, then once the year is up go spend it on something heavy like a vacation, etc... it's fuct how much I used to spend on smokes.

• almost forgot...gained 10lbs in 10 days...

Yeah, man, I anticipated that myself and immediately started going to the gym on the first day I quit. Today marks a month of no smoking for me. And I've lost 20 pounds, which kind of blows my mind. I think I've replaced my addiction to nicotine with an addiction to getting my heart pumping. Seriously I've never felt better. I highly recommend doing some kind of cardio and getting all sweaty and out of breath. You definitely won't want a smoke after that.

You can do iiiit!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I WANT A SMOKE RIGHT NEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAOW! For real.

But I won't.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Today makes 20. Still want a smoke here and there (like now), but overall it's a lot easier than the first week. I don't even think about it most of the time.

Props to Einstein. Dude has been down since day 1 and like Burgess Meredith in my corner every day from all over the globe.

It's meant a lot and has kept me from falling back.

Anybody else still with me? I know some of you dudes were trying to quit around the same time.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Don't be a quitter, have a smoke!

No, seriously, I thought about stopping smoking for a while but somehow, everytime I drink and party, I feel like having one. If I'm at home and don't go out or have friends over at the house for drinks, I don't get the crave and can easlily go a week without even missing a cigarette. But as soon as I get drunk, I just really want that cigarette. I especially love that headrush and lightheadedness when having the first Gauloise after a couple of days of nonsmoking.

I also hate these goddamn antismoking campaigns.
    That ugly piece of shit with the crippled fingers that they put on those NY subway posters for example. I'd rather die smoking than listen to this whining stubfingered freak!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm with you Day. I quit several times over the past few years. I had just started back again when you started this thread. I decided to get the Alan Carr book because several people have praised it. There really is something about that book. I can't explain it, but it somehow changed my mind. My desire is gone. I think it's been ten days? I don't even bother counting, because my desire is completely gone. It's like magic. I've had all the normal things happen that make me smoke (drinking a lot, weed, high stress events, boring gigs, etc.). I just don't care for it anymore.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

I also hate these goddamn antismoking campaigns.
    That ugly piece of shit with the crippled fingers that they put on those NY subway posters for example. I'd rather die smoking than listen to this whining stubfingered freak!
    frank... i gotta disagree. its a public health issue and one that is highly avoidable (don't smoke-no lung cancer). i used to be a pretty heavy smoker for about 5 years (quit when i was 22). towards the end of my full time smoker days i had to go to the hospital to treat a lung infection that kept coming back. i quit smoking and the lung infections went away. tightness of chest-shortness of breath-wheezing-heavy funky cough... shit wasn't pretty and honestly kinda scary. lung disease has to be one of the scariest ways to die. up until recently i would still have a cig every once in a blue moon when i was drunk and i always almost immediately felt like an asshole for it. i also blaze tree a little too much for my own good but lately i've been using my vaporizer so my lungs won't crap out on me. people should still have the choice to smoke if they want too but i think the adds are probably a good thing for everybody. F*ck the tobacco companies for real!

• I quit cold turkey in Nov. '98 and never touched another one again....

until early 2008. So f*cking stupid. Now I smoke a pack a day again like I never lost a step. Totally disgusted with myself..but the one thing that gives me hope is that I know it's possible to quit. I know that SOME people will never quit...they just can't/won't do it (my mother). Since i've done it before (nearly 10 years counts for something, dammit), it gives me the encouragement I will need to put them down again...this time FOR GOOD.

Good luck, dude..just don't give in. I didn't have any specific method when I "quit" before...I just convinced myself that my mind was stronger than the addiction was.

During the 9 years I didn't smoke, it was very common for me to still be smoking in my dreams.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    I'm with you Day. I quit several times over the past few years. I had just started back again when you started this thread. I decided to get the Alan Carr book because several people have praised it. There really is something about that book. I can't explain it, but it somehow changed my mind. My desire is gone. I think it's been ten days? I don't even bother counting, because my desire is completely gone. It's like magic. I've had all the normal things happen that make me smoke (drinking a lot, weed, high stress events, boring gigs, etc.). I just don't care for it anymore.
    amen.

peace, stein. . .

• someone bet me i can't maintain a smoke-free lifestyle right now.

i'll give you 2:1 at $500 +the phone numbers of everyone i work, live and hang out with as a security retainer.

• according to all rehabilitation literature, it takes 35 days to kick a habit, im at 4 cold turkey. who wants a taste of this here action?

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    according to all rehabilitation literature, it takes 35 days to kick a habit, im at 4 cold turkey. who wants a taste of this here action?

I just want to say, you can do it. I quit five years ago, and never cheated. Betting does make it easier though, when I quit it was a challenge from a friend who was doing the same. Turns out he lied and went back to smoking, but as far as I knew, it was still going. So I stayed strong. Whatever it takes, I guess...

• i know i can do it because im fucking awesome. that extra motivation sure would help though.

this first week is a motherfucker though.... ive been testey as skin colored kiwis

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Good luck, dude! I am in the same boat at the moment.

The first two days were absolute murder! While at work (where I used to need cigs the most) I felt like throwing my chair through the window. It was bad.

After the first week, shit has been a cake walk, though. I have been smoke-free for three weeks and feeling good. :beerbang:

• LoopDreams said:
    it's fuct how much I used to spend on smokes.

i'm calculating my savings at around $350/month......... plaese to recommend places to eat and record spots in bora bora or monaco for 2012.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    LoopDreams said:
    it's fuct how much I used to spend on smokes.

i'm calculating my savings at around $350/month......... plaese to recommend places to eat and record spots in bora bora or monaco for 2012.

Don't kid yourself, you will quickly replace those expenses with other dopamine releasers like binge shopping, eating, prostitution, cocaine, methamphetamines, petty crime bail, etc.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    i know i can do it because im fucking awesome. that extra motivation sure would help though.

this first week is a motherfucker though.... ive been testey as skin colored kiwis

Been considering it for a while now mainly due to the amount of money it'd save me on the tobacco and the chewing gum I purchase to combat the smoker's breath. Main thing that's stopping me is that I get like an irritable bastard after two hours without a cigarette so lord knows what I'd be like after a week.

• Junior said:
    vintageinfants said:
    i know i can do it because im fucking awesome. that extra motivation sure would help though.

Been considering it for a while now mainly due to the amount of money it'd save me on the tobacco and the chewing gum I purchase to combat the smoker's breath. Main thing that's stopping me is that I get like an irritable bastard after two hours without a cigarette so lord knows what I'd be like after a week.

yeah exactly, i need to do the same but my mood swings would be unbearable.

managed to cut down on my unnecessary mid-week boozing habit though, and general unneccessary boozing (like, in front of the TV beers) which leaves me feeling high as a kite after 2 and a half pints these days. quite enjoying that tbh.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This October it'll be two years since I quit. I still smoke the occasional spliff, but never cigarettes. I managed it through hypnotherapy, which I'd say is definitely worth investigating if you've tried nicotine replacement and cold turkey (neither of which worked for me). Admittedly, it can be costly, but if it works as effectively as my course did it'll pay for itself in no time. I had no withdrawal symptoms, and no real cravings either, apart from the occasional fleeting desire for a ciggy, which passes as quickly as it arrives if I ignore it. It helped that I was ready to pack 'em in as well. The best of luck to anyone trying to quit.

• i'll be smoke free for 3 years in october. it's really hard. still crave cigarettes quite a bit and it gets almost unbearable every other month or so but i know what giving in would lead to. my best advice is IT'S A LOT EASIER TO STAY OUT THAN IT IS TO GET OUT.
    read allen carr's 'the easy way to quit smoking' that's what helped me quit.

peace, stein. . .

• i haven't had a good nights sleep in a week. im pretty strung out at this point. ive been going at sticks of gum like im an 8 ball of booger sugar deep. everytime I get a craving at home i hammer out 15 pushups instead, im popping chest buttons like the incredible hulk (purple jeans not included). my body knows the party's over and it's making it's last gasp at withdrawl.... the final surge before defeat I presume.

• youre killing it V.I.!!!
    slay the ugly beast and bask in the glow of victory!!

big big props to you sir

• addiction sites say that it takes 35 days to fully overcome an addiction. today is that day.

fuck cancer.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    addiction sites say that it takes 35 days to fully overcome an addiction. today is that day.

fuck cancer.

Congrats, dude! Unfortunately, I am intimately familiar with someone who is dying of lung cancer. I cannot applaud you and anyone else who quits enough. You should be proud of yourself.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    co-sign. Keep up the good work, mang. I quit 5 months ago and my quality of life is much, much better. You can do it!

• two months today for me cold turkey. rarely have a craving and when i do, i just walk over to smokers and savor the 2nd hand smoke

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Keep it up! Your bodies, your families, and your friends will all thank you! It's hard work but WORTH IT!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Your clothes will thank you too!

• 65 days today.

the cravings are pretty much gone but second hand smoke is dangerously enticing. keep up good work. i'm at a point of disbelief that i ever smoked.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    day said:

shit i just read this a week ago, i blasted through it in like 5 days its been like 6 days without a smoke and although my mind set is on point my body is tweaking out a bit, i havent smoked any herbs since i quit either, its been sadly 10 years since i have gone this long being sober and not having any tobacco, dreams are starting to feel like hallucinations and i have been getting the sweats at night like mad crazy, i "quit" smoking cigarettes 6 years a go or so, but continued to roll joints with it so my intake has been fairly low, but its nice to cut it out completely.

i know i am going to hit the herbs at some point (um not a drinker at all and need sumthin to get a bit of a mellow on), but i am totally dedicated to going tobaccoless, and even though its only been 6 days and my body is weirded out a bit, i am happy i did it, it can only get better from here...my asthma loves me, and although my body is partially still telling me it needs the tobacco, "i aint having it"