Bicycles

Comments

• dukeofdelridge said:
    the only thing that could improve it would be a sack of weed and/or some cash money all fanned out on the floor...

oh yea?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    The-gaffler said:

:game_over:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Worth it for the commentary.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Rode #1 son's 20" wheel mtb last night, carrying #2 son on the top tube. My knees were around my chin but it rolled pretty well.

Took #1 son to school on his scooter today...

..and I rode it back home.

Some say I have a reputation to uphold.

That reputation is "BIGGEST KID ON THE BLOCK".

I would draw the line at riding it to work, but I did see a kids bike in the adult rack last year. I mean, like for a 5 year old.

FFS.

• Rode a 2012 Spot Coyote belt drive with two-speed kickback hub over the wknd and now I must get one.

That is all.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Worth it for the commentary.

hahaha. it's like a one-sided EPL FANZONE

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    CBear said:
    Anyone have any opinions on these Linus Bikes?

My lady wants to start doing some longer rides with me, but her Huffy 3-speed wobbles like hell over 15mph. She wants something relatively stylie but capable. Anything else in this genre I should look into? Anything like this in a vintage that has good geometry and components?

I have the same question. I ride my dad's mid 70's era Motobecane, but my wife can't keep up on her cruiser bike, I don't think she would be comfortable on a road bike, looking for something like this. Did you ever get one CBear?

Ended up getting her an old Schwinn Le Tour Tourist which is a Mixte Frame.

Kinda like this:

Relatively light weight for the style and quite capable. She's been going on long rides with me and doing just fine. You might try searching "Mixte" on craiglist. It's like the lady's version of your Motobecane.

• Anyone ride BMX?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    CBear said:

My lady wants to start doing some longer rides with me, but her Huffy 3-speed wobbles like hell over 15mph. She wants something relatively stylie but capable. Anything else in this genre I should look into? Anything like this in a vintage that has good geometry and components?

I have the same question. I ride my dad's mid 70's era Motobecane, but my wife can't keep up on her cruiser bike, I don't think she would be comfortable on a road bike, looking for something like this. Did you ever get one CBear?

Linus fall into the cruiser category also, riding that will only improve her speed marginally as it's still a relatively heavy bike. Their higher end models are partially butted but the lower ones are hi-tensile steel, which is HEAVY.

If you want something faster for her, then a hybrid with an aluminum frame/carbon fork or a chromoly butted frame will be more up to speed.

Also, Chara's bike must be a HUGE custom, dude is a behemoth.

• As a Portland, OR resident I am re-joining the biking masses. I sold off my car 6 months ago (been using buses, light rail, and the wife's car to get around).

I used to commute to work in Bellevue, WA in 2000-2001 and was completely kitted out. Now my helmet is falling apart and the state of the art for rain gear and bags is completely different. My pocketbook is crying right now.

Currently riding my dad's old Peugeot (It was a conversion of a touring frame with mountain bike parts that happened when mountain bikes first broke out back in the 80s). Solid frame that still looks almost new so many years later. Currently on loan to my brother Dr. Wu as his truck shitted out its transmission last week.

Helping my wife buy an used Schwinn mountain bike from City Bikes (will be ready by Sept. 22) so we can save on gas and make our transportation needs a bit more flexible.

Looking forward to doing so weekend biking with her.

• CBear said:
    CousinLarry said:
    CBear said:

Ended up getting her an old Schwinn Le Tour Tourist which is a Mixte Frame.

Kinda like this:

Relatively light weight for the style and quite capable. She's been going on long rides with me and doing just fine. You might try searching "Mixte" on craiglist. It's like the lady's version of your Motobecane.

I have a peugeot mixte I bought at goodwill for $25. I don't think the previous owner rode it more than a few miles. It will take a small investment to get it ready for my wife. She isn't down with the drop bars so I am getting them swapped out. I am also dropping all the crappy plastic simplex parts in favor of new or salvaged stuff. The frame is in really good shape. It is at the shop now. I'll post some pictures when it is done.

• New wheels for Fall.

Masi!! Enjoy. What frameset is that?

• Its the Speciale Randonneur

Pretty fun so far...still getting used to those old-school shifters, though

I don't fucks with derailleurs at all, but I do know I hated those drop-shifters.

is that for cycle cross riding? or just for tooling around? pretty sweet ride either way.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My last month of bikes:

rode this beast at Whistler bike park. Terrifying and fun:

spent last week in Oregon.

one of the best bike paths you'll ever ride--a reclaimed section of the 1930s columbia river gorge highway:

When you're riding by yourself in a wet and slippery Post Canyon--not really into hitting stunts and jumps--it turns out it's beautiful in there too (and some great xc trails):

the good earth:

On my way back through Portland, I stopped and rode this place called Sandy Ridge, an awesome little group of trails sort of by Mt Hood. An easy 3.5 mile climb on a paved road to some really flowy descents.

Not looking forward to winter. I'm back into bikes.

CARRY ON, BIKESTRUT!

• Soooo, I pulled the trigger on a histogram frame set, which I managed to get very cheap through a friend.

I was going to get something far cheaper and build it up with some nice components for use as a commuter and to replace my jogging regime which is getting ever increasingly hard on the knees. The deal was too nice and my friend had some sound (sounding) arguments.

Anyway, how would yall set it up?

:oh_snap: that thing is gorgeous!

keep it simple, that frame doesn't need any more flash!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    Soooo, I pulled the trigger on a histogram frame set, which I managed to get very cheap through a friend.

I was going to get something far cheaper and build it up with some nice components for use as a commuter and to replace my jogging regime which is getting ever increasingly hard on the knees. The deal was too nice and my friend had some sound (sounding) arguments.

So singlespeed or fixed? Risers or drops? Clipless, straps or platforms? What tires? We are waiting with hushed breath....

Commuting? Uphills? Geared with one ring and a rear mech and flat bars. Otherwise, singlespeed.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Commuting? Uphills? Geared with one ring and a rear mech and flat bars. Otherwise, singlespeed.

But that frame has no rear hanger, are you going to get a nexus hub or something?

• jaysus said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    Soooo, I pulled the trigger on a histogram frame set, which I managed to get very cheap through a friend.

So singlespeed or fixed? Crank? Hubs? Rims? We are waiting with hushed breath....

:real_headz:

• Single speed, I like coasting too much to ride fixed. Hills abound but not too heavy and I'm keen to burn. Component wish list would be something like this.........

Plaese to critique.

• pimlicosquirrel said:
    Single speed, I like coasting too much to ride fixed. Hills abound but not too heavy and I'm keen to burn. Component wish list would be something like this.........

Plaese to critique.

Maybe step up the pedal game. I have been riding the Kona Wah Wah pedals and the grip on them is great for a platform pedal + sealed bearings. Because you plan on using brakes or a brake get a rim or rims that are machine walled or anodized. If you are thinking bullhorns maybe consider mustache bars because they will give you more riding positions, but whatever you find the most comfortable.

Nice list. I'd go for [your choice here] of clip-in pedals to do that list justice. Or are you in the same shoes all day, or like me, can't be arsed with excess kit?

Also: Totalling that up, seems a lot of $ to drop on a commuter, no? (I expect all my commuters to be stolen at some point and consider their presence upon my return to be a daily bonus - your local experience may differ).

• The pedals were a joke (kind of), they are original KKT's, I coveted them when I was a kid.....I was toying with throwing a pair of those or OG Suntours on to full-fill my childhood dream and mess with dudes minds. But maybe not.

Clip-ins are not for me, although that may change. I'm feeling those wah wahs.

On the money side of things, I don't want to have to hem and haw too much.

As far as theft goes, I can take it inside when commuting. I've lost bikes in the past and that shit HURTS.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Carbon wheelsets are a bit too much for commuting, just screaming to be stolen. Not exactly durable for city riding either.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Bike rack question: I need one to fit 2-3...we're talking trunk rack, right? Thule well regarded?

• Finished the Cinelli, keen to do one for my partner now, any suggestions?