Bicycles

1679111226

  Comments


  • CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    batmon said:

    You look like you won the race competing on a cruiser bike with a basket full of grocery items.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    haha

  • AserAser 2,351 Posts


    Rocking a 1990 Bianchi Ocelot lugged tange cromo for my commuter. Made it city worthy with assorted upgrades (saddle, seatpost, freewheel (yes freewheel, it's old), chain, semi-slicks. Most importantly, rocking an airzound. Gave up my car a year ago so I'm strictly commuting with this. Airzound is so key, cop it if you don't have one.

    Planning on building a road bike with a no name ebay titanium frame from Taiwan or China. Hopefully that happens sooner than later. Trying to decide if I should go w/ sram force or ton ton ton ton ultegra di2.

    I'm paranoid w/ theft, so I rock two locks. A sturdy U and a cheap cable.

  • SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Aser said:

    I'm paranoid w/ theft

    I went to a sketchy show at a rehearsal space building in the middle of nowhere last night. I was sweating my bike locked to a street sign outside all night. There were 5 bands and I was out there checking on it between every one of them and sure my wheels were gonna get jacked.

    luckily it was untouched and I had a sweet late-night shitfaced ride home without a car in sight.

  • JimsterJimster Big scene at Nando's 6,714 Posts
    Overtook another commuter on a climb this morning. Must have been about 100 yds in front of him when my left crank wobbles and then on the next rotation, drops off.

    Stopped after 10 yards, I rest bike onto the grass verge to go back for the crank, and the dude I overtook comes >this< far from ploughing into me. He's had his head down all the way and somehow not noticed anything happening in front. Not even a fucking crank with a DK Iron Cross pedal right in his path.

    I have heard about time-trial dudes "In the zone" and ploughing into the back of parked vehicles, with fatal results.

  • J i m s t e r said:
    I have heard about time-trial dudes "In the zone" and ploughing into the back of parked vehicles, with fatal results.

    And there was me thinking that these road bike types are just rude, since whenever I pass one on a road in the middle of nowhere they usually blank my nodded hello.

  • JimsterJimster Big scene at Nando's 6,714 Posts
    neil_something said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    I have heard about time-trial dudes "In the zone" and ploughing into the back of parked vehicles, with fatal results.

    And there was me thinking that these road bike types are just rude, since whenever I pass one on a road in the middle of nowhere they usually blank my nodded hello.

    Nodding? Fine for normal people, but please to be rememberful of the fact that Lycra Warriors are, unlike us, very serious bikers; so serious that Le Tour has not extended them an invite less Contador et al abandon their races in tears of Clenbuterol.

    I encounter several, mostly coming the other way, some who do nod (a commuting husband/wife peloton, in matching lycra), some who have total concentration on THE WIN. I do feel like shouting "Morning CUNT!" at one particularly dour "Agent-Smith-Receiving-Bad-News"-faced chap, who passes inches from me on a remote path and never, ever lets on. I am usually in jeans and a polo, thus indicating the fact I do not warrant SERIOUS status.

    It was... interesting this lunchtime, riding down that climb on bike B, pulling now-semi-crankless bike A by the stem, with a heavy threadbare carrier-bag of spare cranks and pedals hanging off one grip on the good bike. "A" will be back, better than ever.

  • SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I still need to find those DK Iron Cross pedals again - thanks for rubbing it in.

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,448 Posts
    the grumpier a roadie looks, the more likely I am to smile and give them a "great day to ride a bike, right?"

    they hate it.

    they hate themselves.

    they hate everything.


  • HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    the grumpier a roadie looks, the more likely I am to smile and give them a "great day to ride a bike, right?"

    they hate it.

    they hate themselves.

    they hate everything.

    Haha...this is pretty close to true.

    peep game: http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2011.07-sports-the-pain-principle/

    On another note, I was pretty happy to see Contador get caught up in that crash on Stage 1 and lose over a minute. Thor FTW!

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,448 Posts
    I cannot be happy for anyone in a bike crash.

    That said, I'll laugh at my friends if they're okay after a bail.

    I'm currently reading Sammy Hagar's book. I want one of these now:


    Jimster, what's the going rate? It's a Gary Fisher, repainted in Hagar's RED, with all black components (something he's claiming he invented lol). Only a few hundred produced, only sold in his Marin County bike shop.

    I can actually ride a 55.

    I want to see one of these things.

    (Hagar book is great, by the way. I'm only up to his joining Van Halen, and it's slightly bazerk. I bought it because I heard dude says some crazy shit about Ed and his tongue.)

  • JimsterJimster Big scene at Nando's 6,714 Posts
    I am looking at that and thinking it would have been Mackful BITD but now, not so much... I mean, it doesn't even have straight forks... Given the Hagar association, I'd part with no more than 200 of your hard-earned. You don't NEED that in your life.

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,448 Posts
    dude it's an OG G.Fisher KooKooEehKooKooKaGoo, painted #FF0000 to match the Red Rocker's fave color skeme. He invented non-chrome component groups for this bike. It was only sold at his bike shoppe. Cabo Wabo.

    I cannot stay away from this bike.

    Euroman hateth. WTF.

    He's claiming that Specialized's "Rockhopper" is a str9_byte of his Red Rocker. I'm down.

    Fuck you.

  • JimsterJimster Big scene at Nando's 6,714 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Euroman hateth. WTF.

    It's the forks. They ruin it for me. I am not 30-yrs-and-running-hardcore into bikes so didn't fetish bikes when they looked like this - maybe your game-depth rekindles memories of when things like this were thee excrement, and you had these, P-Fars and dayglo on the wall, but the front end of this has all the sex appeal of a Victorian pram. I am down with the black hardware though.

    He's claiming that Specialized's "Rockhopper" is a str9_byte of his Red Rocker. I'm down.

    I concur.

  • The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    got this a few weeks ago.. slowly building it up :/


  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,448 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:


    It's the forks. They ruin it for me.

    I really only want it because it says Red Rocker (in the least rocker font of all times). You're right: it's an ugly old bike that would serve no purpose.

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,448 Posts
    The-gaffler said:



    I'd say "looks good," but I'm tripping on the photo.

    Let's talk about it:

    Item One: dem shoes. How much tweed you on?

    B: the power cords coming straight over the front of the bench, leading to a fan and a hairdryer. Are you DB_Cooper's stylist? Whagwaan?*

    THIRDLY: THERE'S A GOD DAMN DANCEHALL QUEEN BOOTYSHAKING IN THE MIRROR. YOU REALLY PUTTING MINISKURTS IN THERE LIKE WE'RE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT THE BIKE FRAME? HUMBLEBRAGGART WITH THE TAILFEATHERDROP "OH YEAH I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE, THAT'S DAILY OPERATION" COMEONBRO COMEONSRSLY

    A++++ LOVE LOVE LOVE

    *shree rajneesh

  • SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think you just checked out the_gaffler's ass, dude.

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,448 Posts
    he must ride a lot of bikes because THAT ASS LOOKS FIRM GET AT ME

    wait

  • JimsterJimster Big scene at Nando's 6,714 Posts
    I was going to comment on that picture but then realised it had a book's worth of material in it. I summarise with "POASTER LEAST-LIKELY TO BREAK THE 'KICKS' THREAD."

    I would have thought Stackswell would have been facing the mirror to take that pic, not ass-first. Man want to wear lay-deez clothes in his own house, who are we to mock?














    "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. "

  • CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Anyone have any opinions on these Linus Bikes?



    My lady wants to start doing some longer rides with me, but her Huffy 3-speed wobbles like hell over 15mph. She wants something relatively stylie but capable. Anything else in this genre I should look into? Anything like this in a vintage that has good geometry and components?

  • SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    my friend just posted this awesome picture of Zdeno Chara riding home from the Stanley Cup parade in Boston last month. yes, literally just got off the tour boats rolling through the streets of Boston and onto his fixie to ride back to the crib. I knew he biked to the Garden pretty much every day during the season, but have never seen him - kind of surprised to see he rides fixed ... although I'm sure he has more bikes than I have fingers.



  • The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    I was going to comment on that picture but then realised it had a book's worth of material in it. I summarise with "POASTER LEAST-LIKELY TO BREAK THE 'KICKS' THREAD."

    I would have thought Stackswell would have been facing the mirror to take that pic, not ass-first. Man want to wear lay-deez clothes in his own house, who are we to mock?














    "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. "


  • HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    my friend just posted this awesome picture of Zdeno Chara riding home from the Stanley Cup parade in Boston last month. yes, literally just got off the tour boats rolling through the streets of Boston and onto his fixie to ride back to the crib. I knew he biked to the Garden pretty much every day during the season, but have never seen him - kind of surprised to see he rides fixed ... although I'm sure he has more bikes than I have fingers.



    This made my day. I don't know why.


  • SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    :zooted:

  • Finally got this done before the end of the season.



    Maiden voyage: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108080673

    *nevermind the Time pedals - just had those on there for a sec

  • Looks like a nice ride (the bike too).

    Having that hill to climb at the end though is a doozy

  • CBear said:
    Anyone have any opinions on these Linus Bikes?



    My lady wants to start doing some longer rides with me, but her Huffy 3-speed wobbles like hell over 15mph. She wants something relatively stylie but capable. Anything else in this genre I should look into? Anything like this in a vintage that has good geometry and components?

    I have the same question. I ride my dad's mid 70's era Motobecane, but my wife can't keep up on her cruiser bike, I don't think she would be comfortable on a road bike, looking for something like this. Did you ever get one CBear?
Sign In or Register to comment.