Blu-Ray

13»

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Right, but the caps are only a bandaid fix. It's completely f*cking retarded to alienate your consumer base when a better alternative is out there. Even if they use all that additional revenue to upgrade infrastructure, who the F*ck is going to switch back after all that?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Tho, my thoughts on caps is the telco's are more worried about people dropping their TV services all together and jumping to things like Hulu & streaming media from other companies.

Again, I'm going to disagree with you there. I'm sure they are confident that in the coming years, only the more technologically advanced customers will be considering those other options. It's going to be many years before the younger, more computer-savvy consumer demographic eclipses the buying power of older generations, who are still these companies' bread and butter.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Pretty good easy to understand analysis here:
    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/the-cost-to-offer-the-worlds-fastest-broadband-20-per-home/

I don't think we're going to say significant changes with any of this until ISPs start acquiring media companies or vice versa. Each side stands to lose too much money.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Tho, my thoughts on caps is the telco's are more worried about people dropping their TV services all together and jumping to things like Hulu & streaming media from other companies.

Again, I'm going to disagree with you there. I'm sure they are confident that in the coming years, only the more technologically advanced customers will be considering those other options. It's going to be many years before the younger, more computer-savvy consumer demographic eclipses the buying power of older generations, who are still these companies' bread and butter.

So only young people use Youtube?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    In any case...

All the talk about streaming content is moot anyways. Since as long as you have a decent connection (Even at 5Mbps) and a decent computer, you should be able to take whatever compressed HD content you are streaming and pause the stream allowing it to buffer and be able to watch it just fine after awhile.

Higher download speeds will just improve your need for instant media gratification! lol

I'd be more stressed to have a better computer or media box, etc that you are going to be watching this stuff with and how your outputting it to your big screen TV.

Like, I went over to a friends house and he was trying to watch a 1080p rip from his 4 year old laptop through a VGA cable to his brand new 1080p set.

/me smacks his head!

So only young people use Youtube?

Who's talking about youtube? I'm saying I think it's going to be a long time before the majority of cable subscribers are willing to switch over to online streaming services.

Think about it, ads for the digital signal conversion campaign are impossible to avoid. Information about the change-over is being spoon fed to consumers through every media outlet, offering to hold anyone's hand through the process. It would take a large media campaign and a lot of time to make people comfortable with switching from cable to an online service. If it ever happens, it will be at the behest of, rather than in spite of, the existing telecoms.

In any case...

All the talk about streaming content is moot anyways. Since as long as you have a decent connection (Even at 5Mbps) and a decent computer, you should be able to take whatever compressed HD content you are streaming and pause the stream allowing it to buffer and be able to watch it just fine after awhile.

Higher download speeds will just improve your need for instant media gratification! lol

I'd be more stressed to have a better computer or media box, etc that you are going to be watching this stuff with and how your outputting it to your big screen TV.

Like, I went over to a friends house and he was trying to watch a 1080p rip from his 4 year old laptop through a VGA cable to his brand new 1080p set.

/me smacks his head!

You and I can do this, but I feel like you're overlooking the vast sea of technologically ignorant Americans which comprise the majority of consumers. Like I said in my above post, this sort of thing needs to be spoon fed to people in order to make it profitable.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Youtube is a model of that shows streaming video, even in a limited form compared to movies and television, is acceptable to the masses. As long as whatever future streaming whatever is easy to use, reliable, and reasonably priced, people will use it over traditional TV. Convenience > all

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Sure. For now. But You'd be surprised by the amount of average Americans dropping their cable using things like hulu now.

If I had access to things like hulu and the ability to do OTA. I know I'd drop my cable service in a second.

In any case. We are wayyyy off topic LOL

What are strutters wishing would come out on bluray???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DOR said:
    What are strutters wishing would come out on bluray???

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Now that this thread is bumped anyway - just wondering something that maybe the movie wizards on here can help me with.

I'm thinking of getting a region free blu-ray/DVD - one that's pre-modded, as I understand you have to go to work on the hardware to make a blu-ray region free, as opposed to the NES-style cheat codes on DVD players.

Anyone have experience with this? I understand you have to update the firmware on blu-ray players regularly so they'll play all the new releases, does this sort of thing interfere in some way. It sucks not being able to play US releases, and I don't want to invest in a blu-ray unless that problem's taken care of.

what the word on HDMI cables. Is it the same bullshit as audio monster cables?

im gonna cop a new flatsceen soon and do i need 100 dollar cables?

• batmon said:

hell no. www.monoprice.com is my first stop.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    batmon said:
    do i need 100 dollar cables?

No

• Big_Chan said:
    Remember that you are going to need a 1080p display with the Blue Ray player connected to it via HDMI to see any benefits. Watching Blue Ray on 720p display is not the real deal. In addition, it is difficult to see any real difference on screens smaller than 50" unless you sit very close to the screen.

I have a 42in 720p plasma and the difference between blu and dvd is quite noticeable, both video AND audio. Sometimes especially the audio.

thnx

• BallzDeep said:
    Big_Chan said:
    Remember that you are going to need a 1080p display with the Blue Ray player connected to it via HDMI to see any benefits. Watching Blue Ray on 720p display is not the real deal. In addition, it is difficult to see any real difference on screens smaller than 50" unless you sit very close to the screen.

I have a 42in 720p plasma and the difference between blu and dvd is quite noticeable, both video AND audio. Sometimes especially the audio.

Agreed. I'm more often impressed by the sound quality and channel separation on a blu than I am by the video

• looking forward to this one in December ...

http://www.nostalghia.cz/webs/vlacil/clanky/digimarketa/

What a difference two years makes. I was pretty wrong about Netflix and Hulu not picking up steam quickly.

I, Robot
    Blade Runner - Final Cut
    The Dark Knight
    Apocalypse Now
    Kill Bills
    Rattitouille
    X-Men Trilogy

The Batman Movie from '66 was filmed with a special format to make the colors pop on tv sets.
    It transfers well to BD.

:get_on_my_level:

Taxi Driver

Bladerunner 5 disc joint

• ^^ those last two selections are crucial,
    considering how cheap they are and what you get with them.

• oops

• ordered yojimbo/sanjuro criterion blu from amazon, new...

priced at $3.48.

email says shipping soon.
    anticipating if seller cancels it or not,
    or something different arrives in my mailbox?

anybody ever catch pricing errors on amazon?