Blu-Ray

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I recently got a Blu-ray player, so I'm slowly re-building my movie collection.I started with some classics; Blade Runner, 2001, Akira. Then got a couple of more recent favourites; Wall-E and Tekken Kinkreet.Rented Alien and The Thing, after the recent discussion thread, but didn't feel compelled to own either.What Blu-ray discs have you got? Would you recommend?

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I don't own any, just rent them. I do want Lakai's Final Flared, being the first skateboard blu-ray and all.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Any you've been particularly impressed with? Granted HD makes everything look better, but there are plenty of titles I'm still happy to just have on dvd.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    That's what im saying - is it worth forking over $200+ for blue ray player?

The desert shots in No Country for Old Men looked amazing.

Really nice cinematography.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

On the older movies not so much... on new movies HELL YES.

titles that look good:
    Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (the planet-building scene is phenomenal)
    Sleeping Beauty (for my 2YO daughter - looks amazing)
    Ironman
    Hellboy 2

i still haven't bought 2001 yet and I hear the transfer is fantastic.

I got mine in a PS3 but I'd say if I was in the market, yes. As long as you have an HDTV, otherwise you wont see the benefits.

Cool thing about the ps3 is it's hard drive. Yo can store your own DVD rips on there.

Do standard blu-ray players have this? I would think not.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I wouldn't bother buying any of that shit when it's going to probably be discontinued when all movies are distributed through the hive mind of the internet controlled by the illuminati and nwo

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I wouldn't bother buying any of that shit when it's going to probably be discontinued when all movies are distributed through the hive mind of the internet controlled by the illuminati and nwo

Feeling this. Blu-Ray is already BetaMax as we speak...

BetaMax Balla over here!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Yes. Worth every penny, they look amazing.

Watching dvds now feels like watching a movie on a vhs that you recorded from analog tv years ago.

But like I said there are movies that you don't really need in HD to appreciate. Annie Hall may look even better in HD, but you're not going to get a lot more from it than the first time you saw it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't think I would buy a player just for Blu-ray.

But I think some companies are figuring this out adding a bunch of other stuff.

LG comes to mine.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/19/lgs-wifi-enabled-divx-friendly-bd390-blu-ray-player-now-shippi/

Netflix-enabled BD deck
    Cinema Now enabled.
    DivX HD 1080p certified
    MKV & AVCHD Support
    802.11n WiFi module and support for DivX streaming from a DLNA server.
    BD-Live support
    7.1-channel audio output
    1GB of inbuilt memory
    etc

But at that price, no thx. Until media drops in price, I'm not really interested.

And as for must have movies.

Planet Earth (David Attenborough version. Don't slip with the Sigourney Weaver one!)

Shit looks amazing!

I want Criterion Collection Blu-Ray's!!!!!!!!!!! They have a few now. But I know Criterion Blu-Ray's would be great to watch on my 46".

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Blu-ray discs don't seem that expensive any more, there seem to be plenty of discounts available, many are about the same price as the dvd.
    That LG does look nice though DOR. MKV support as well.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Planet Earth (David Attenborough version. Don't slip with the Sigourney Weaver one!)

Shit looks amazing!

I presume you've copped a rip from the internets somewhere?? Out of interest how are you watching them?

You're right about it looking awsm thouigh, I watched them all on BBC-HD when they were originally aired.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ironman

yup. CGI shit is off the hook.

Yeah, there is a place here in Toronto selling cheap Blu-ray's. But I think a big portion of consumers have figured out that for a lot of movies, watching the DVD up-converted will be fine for them.

Plus, studio's need to realize that if they are going to have blu-ray disc compete with not just up-converting but also streaming sites (Itunes, Netflix, etc) and piracy. They are going to have to bring down media prices and/or stop selling DVD's. If they don't, I really don't think Blu-ray will take hold in the market and be around in 5 years.

Shit looks amazing!

I presume you've copped a rip from the internets somewhere?? Out of interest how are you watching them?

You're right about it looking awsm thouigh, I watched them all on BBC-HD when they were originally aired.

One of the girls I'm dating bought it and we've watched them on my TV with her player.

But yeah, I have HD rips of them as well lol.

Playing them on a new Mac with Plex (Which is amazing IMO).

http://www.plexapp.com/ which is for the mac and kicks ass.

http://xbmc.org/download/ for the PC.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    So you reckon their cunning plan to makes us all buy the same movies again, for a 3rd time, isn't going to work..

I dunno. I think when more people have HD everything else (console/tv/cable/computer) they wont be able to go back to ordinary dvd.

But to be honest. Blu-Ray never really had great sales to begin with. Their numbers can only go up. Players started to sell once the prices started hitting below $200 for a player (Lots of people instead of buying another DVD player, are now buying cheap Blu-ray players and just watch their DVD collection up-converted). Funny thing is, I know lot of people who are using those players to pretty much watch regular DVD's.

And now with companies coming out with Blu-ray players that stream (Like the LG above) you are going to see more people interested in netflix services than renting a blu-ray... Or even owning it for that matter.

Gizmodo had some thoughts on the matter as well.

http://gizmodo.com/5243319/blu+ray-cheaper-and-more-popular-but-still-confusing-to-most-people

I watch regular DVDs in mine. What am I going to do? Throw out my old dvds and buy new blu-rays versions that don't even exist? I don't understand your point there.

At least when the newest CGI or movie with amazing cinematography, I won't have to lurk in the lower rez world.

I'm also wondering what the effect on the possibility of charging for bandwidth will have on streaming.

Not saying your wrong. Who knows yet?

So you reckon their cunning plan to makes us all buy the same movies again, for a 3rd time, isn't going to work..

I dunno. I think when more people have HD everything else (console/tv/cable/computer) they wont be able to go back to ordinary dvd.

I think a good portion of people will buy blu-ray players. With all the features that companies are going to put into them I can see it.

But if anyone thinks that Blu-ray media is going to take off like DVD's... I say forget about it.

Especially Blu-ray movie rentals. That shit will never get anywhere close to the size of DVD rentals got.

That said... There are movie's that I would buy in the Blu-ray format.

I watch regular DVDs in mine. What am I going to do? Throw out my old dvds and buy new blu-rays versions that don't even exist? I don't understand your point there.

At least when the newest CGI or movie with amazing cinematography, I won't have to lurk in the lower rez world.

I'm also wondering what the effect on the possibility of charging for bandwidth will have on streaming.

Not saying your wrong. Who knows yet?

I think for a big portion of movies, even if they were available in Blu-ray people won't buy them to replace their DVD copy. Since upconverting will be fine for most people.

As far as bandwidth and caps. While that is a problem now. I don't think you'll see caps once ISP's really start having to upgrade their networks to compete with things like Verizon FiOS.

Telcos for the most part have been putting off spending the money to upgrade their networks because there was no need. For the most part, they don't need to compete in markets they run things in. PLUS a bigger issue is Telcos don't want other services competing with their own (Think VOD vs Itunes). So they think caps will save them.

But with FiOS (And things like FTTH or even FTTN for that matter) starting to catch on, they have to compete in markets with upping speeds and dropping caps. Once you see ISP's offering for the most part 10 Mbps, I think you'll see less of them putting caps on their services.

This is an example of how stupid things are right now.

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A259848
    http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Wilson-NC-Fights-Community-Broadband-Ban-102024

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Remember that you are going to need a 1080p display with the Blue Ray player connected to it via HDMI to see any benefits. Watching Blue Ray on 720p display is not the real deal. In addition, it is difficult to see any real difference on screens smaller than 50" unless you sit very close to the screen.

The best part buying my 1080p LCD was it was perfect for living in my condo.

With a 1080p TV there is very little pixelation sitting at 6 feet from the TV. 720p you gotta be around 9-10+ feet away.

I only wish I had spent more money for 120hz over 60hz.

but other than that, I love my TV.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I like Blu Ray but I refuse to buy a Blu Ray movie unless its got some special effects, camera work, whatever where I will actually see a difference. No Country For Old Men and The Dark Knight are totally worth it.

I cant justify owning some comedy or chick flick for $30 that would look perfectly acceptable on a regular DVD.

I'm all for the success of streaming/downloading over blu-ray. Cuts down on waste, recognize.

• Options
    The best part buying my 1080p LCD was it was perfect for living in my condo.

With a 1080p TV there is very little pixelation sitting at 6 feet from the TV. 720p you gotta be around 9-10+ feet away.

I only wish I had spent more money for 120hz over 60hz.

but other than that, I love my TV.

The Future:

I was at the Sony store yesterday and they're selling an 11" OLED TV for $4500.00
    The screen's as thick as 3 credit cards and the image is sharper than anything I've ever seen without the blur you get in LCDs/plasmas.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    I recommend The Fall on blu-ray

I'm also interested to see how this turned out

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I haven't taken the Blu-Ray plunge as my upconverted DVDs look fine on my 1080i HDTV, and I agree with many folks above that it is probably a doomed format.

These kind of things don't help either:

FRENCH CONNECTION BLU-RAY FAIL
    http://www.austin360.com/movies/content/movies/stories/2009/03/0306dvdcol.html