Blu-Ray

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I don't think I would buy a player just for Blu-ray.

But I think some companies are figuring this out adding a bunch of other stuff.

LG comes to mine.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/19/lgs-wifi-enabled-divx-friendly-bd390-blu-ray-player-now-shippi/

Netflix-enabled BD deck
    Cinema Now enabled.
    DivX HD 1080p certified
    MKV & AVCHD Support[/b]
    802.11n WiFi module and support for DivX streaming from a DLNA server.
    BD-Live support
    7.1-channel audio output
    1GB of inbuilt memory
    etc

But at that price, no thx. Until media drops in price, I'm not really interested.

So damn smart. I'm sick of having to stream HD content in .mkv to my PS3.
    The PS3 sucks in terms of subtitle support for .avi too.

As for the comment about needing 1080p over 720p, I don't think it's really that important yet. When the prices drop, and it's not a difference between a few hundred dollars, I'd say go ahead and get the 1080, but to the average person it's like listening for the difference in an mp3 rip at 320 and a flac file. Audiophiles may be able to tell the difference, but that's what they do all day. They analyze the shit out of sound. The difference between 720 and 1080, IMO, has to be consciously and carefully analyzed to be seen. The average movie-watcher is not going to be kicking him or herself while watching Blu-Ray on a 720p TV, wishing that the picture could be just a little bit better.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    There is a major difference when you factor your distance from the TV like I posted above.

With both 1080 & 720p at 10+ feet no biggie. But if you only got 6-9 feet from your TV, you will want a 1080p without a doubt...

I still disagree. The difference, even at six feet, is not that major.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I have a HD projector, which I've been using for some time with a upscaling dvd player. The difference in quality between that and my blu-ray player is huge.

What I'm interested in next is an external hard-drive with hdmi out and some kind of media player capabilities. Preferably one I can link with my Mac and control through my Ipod.

Awesome. I have some $800 HDMI cables to sell you that will really improve your TV's performance. I can make a chart illustrating the benefits in MS Paint, if you'd like.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DARK CITY is a great movie to boot.

pre-cursor to The Matrix.....

Awesome. I have some $800 HDMI cables to sell you that will really improve your TV's performance. I can make a chart illustrating the benefits in MS Paint, if you'd like.

Why

That chart was backing you up, brohamburger.

Why

That chart was backing you up, brohamburger.

No, it's not.

Like I said.. If you have very little room which your viewing distance is under 9 feet. A tv that is 1080p will be hugely better over a 720p. If you have tons of room, shit won't matter. But for someone who has under 10 feet, it will make a huge difference.

Depending on the size of tv the viewing distance will change. But on say a 42-50", the human eye will notice pixelation on a 720p tv at around 9 feet. While a 1080p will notice around 5 feet.

I was talking about a 18"

Do they even sell 720p TVs anymore? Why would somebody buy one? I don't get it.

Where's the stirring the pot greamlin?

I was talking about a 18"

My bad...

But I do have more charts & graphs to post.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Do they even sell 720p TVs anymore? Why would somebody buy one? I don't get it.

Where's the stirring the pot greamlin?

Yes they still sell 720p TVs. I saw a bunch of them at Costco the other day. People will buy them because they are about half the price of a 1080p and lots of people don't care about image quality.

Dudes. Where I'm coming from is a practical consumer standpoint. Yes, there is a difference between the two. No, it is not huge. If you were to go to an audiophile forum and tell them about your music listening setup, they would probably scoff and tell you all the ways it's inferior. But it works fine for you, right? That's because audiophiles are obsessive about their sound, which the majority of people are not (to that degree).

All I'm saying is, if anyone is on a budget and wants to enjoy HD content, paying the extra hundreds for 1080p is not going to net them this "huge" difference you're perceiving.

To back up my argument with a credible source (something no one else has bothered to do), here's a C-net consumer review from a couple of months ago:

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV.

I'm not arguing to be a dick, I'm just trying to save any strutters who are on the fence some of their hard-earned money. I researched the difference before purchasing a new TV and came to the conclusion that I'd rather put that extra money towards something more tangible. Because, as I said before, most people who watch movies at home aren't analyzing every scene, searching for pixelation. That's obsessive behavior that does not reflect the average person.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you want a bargain get yourself an HD-DvD player, the discs are now selling for something like $5. If DOR's right and Blu-ray is a doomed medium anyway, what do u loose.

It will be all about HoloDisc next... lol

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91276-Is-Holographic-Media-the-Future-for-Next-Gen

Tho, my belief is really (for the most part and average consumer) we will not be using optical storage in the future.

I wouldn't count Blu-Ray out so quickly. If you're thinking the medium will be usurped by streaming, you have to remember that those services have a long way to go. I signed up for Netflix specifically to stream through my X-box, and I couldn't believe how terrible the quality was. I shut it down within a week. Streaming true HD content is a long way from being available to the general market.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I wouldn't count Blu-Ray out so quickly. If you're thinking the medium will be usurped by streaming, you have to remember that those services have a long way to go. I signed up for Netflix specifically to stream through my X-box, and I couldn't believe how terrible the quality was. I shut it down within a week. Streaming true HD content is a long way from being available to the general market.

True indeed, true indeed.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    That's only because of America's terrible broadband infastructure. FIOS is going to light a fire under the ass of cable companies and consumers will finally get the upgrades many Asian countries have been enjoying for years.

I'm just saying. You really believe in 5 years you will see blockbusters across the country filled with mostly just blu-ray media?

I was at a friends last week who has 100 Mbps High Speed. He rented a movie and streamed it. Look better than any VOD through a cable box I've seen. Same will be said when most have 10 Mbps & above (As long as they have a decent computer or box capable of HD content).

I'm talking about where in 4+ years Blu-ray will be. Not today...

A side topic. Another good friend of mine has this.

http://entertainment.bell.ca/en/index.html

Which is pretty much your TV over the internet.

IPTV and his HD channels look better than what I'm getting for HD from my cable provider (Tho, truth be told, I'd rather get my HD content OTA not compressed!).

This is just the beginning. As speeds catch up to Asia & parts of Europe. Most will be going the same way.

And as far as your streaming goes. Talking about "True" HD...

Most computers/set top boxes couldn't handle "True" HD (But that will be changing for product coming out now). Streaming or not.

Take a true 1080p rip around to 10 computers. I'd be willing to bet 1 might be able to play it with zero stutters.

Forget what I said about HoloDisc... That shit is already outdated!

http://gizmodo.com/5263167/12tb-dvds-could-be-on-the-way

I think what Brian said about the broadband infrastructure is accurate. Comcast in my area is already up to FIOS speeds, and neither are currently ready to handle that kind of load. Maybe you're right, that in 4-5 years they'll have been upgraded, but I wouldn't count on it. A lot of money has been spent to get these networks to where they're at currently and neither company is about to overhaul them before they've squeezed out sufficient profits, which I suspect will take more than four years.

You also have to take into consideration that the mainstream movie-viewing public enjoys and is comfortable with physical objects. Despite the speculation which has been going on for years regarding a shift from CDs to MP3s as the favored music medium, the average person is still more comfortable with CDs. For quite some time streaming video likely won't appeal to anyone who isn't at least moderately tech-savvy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    A lot of money has been spent to get these networks to where they're at currently
    They really haven't though.

A lot of money has been spent to get these networks to where they're at currently

They haven't spent a lot of money? I'm confused, is tearing up roads and laying down fiber-optic cable cheap?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

They haven't spent a lot of money? I'm confused, is tearing up roads and laying down fiber-optic cable cheap?
    I was referring to cable internet connections which the majority of America is on.

Naw, FiOS is not anywhere near being over loaded. Their FTTP is in great shape for upgrading. They have TONS of room to upgrade their bandwidth.

There is talk about that happening soon in fact.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22404904-Any-new-Speed-tiers

And your right about Comcast. They are starting to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 to compete with FiOS. They will upgrade where ever they have to compete with FTTH/VDSL2/ETC and everyone else can deal with having 1-5Mbps or less

But I still stand by the idea that you will not see Blu-ray media in the form you have now any where near as dominate as DVD has been.

It did cost alot of money. But it seems to have been paying off.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/101965

I see. Those upgrades will still be phased in slowly, though, meaning it will take a while before the faster speeds become affordable enough to become attractive to the average home computer user. Like I said, maybe you're right. But I think it's more likely that that profits will win out over progress and there's more than 5 years' worth of relatively strong cash-flow to be sucked out of the current markets.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

It did cost alot of money. But it seems to have been paying off.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/101965
    Sorry, like I clarified above, I was talking about cable internet connections. FIOS is absolutely going to pay off while cable companies play catch up and attempt to gouge their customers for their last few years of relevance through bandwidth caps.

Agreed.

Tho, my thoughts on caps is the telco's are more worried about people dropping their TV services all together and jumping to things like Hulu & streaming media from other companies.

That is going to kill their revenues BIG time. The whole management of their networks due to overloading is a red herring IMO.