Approaching hurricane (Northeastern corridor-related)

124»

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    We lost power for a brief time here in Eastern PA but are back for now. I expect it to go down again any time. I live up on a hill but the Delaware River was already really high and I expect people living riverside will be under a lot of water by morning. Hang tight my east coast peoples!

• well. i slept like a rock and woke up to a beautiful day. alls well over here, no zombie apocalypse. hope everyone who was actually in the path is ok with no damage

• We have a lot of debris but the folks at the beach got nailed. Boardwalk all torn up, lifeguard stands in the street, lots of trees down, not to mention we got between 7 & 9 inches of rain in less than 24 hours.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

It's nice to hear that you and yours are OK, F16. Like Tripdubs, I slept like a rock last night as well. We fared well in Somerset, as we only had a tree limb come down near the sidewalk many feet away from our front door. Considering that we had some heavy rain and wind, I'm thankful that we had no major damage. We just have some light rain and wind at the moment. I guess we've experienced the worst of it, though we will probably have flooding at lower-lying areas to contend with in days to come. How are the NY and upper Northeast 'Strutters faring at this time?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I walked the dogs last night at 1 am so we don't have to go out in the middle of the storm and it was quite windy out there and it also rained but nothing too crazy. This morning it looks fine outside with a bit of a drizzle and some minor wind. When I look at the satellite picture on CNN.com it looks like this is already over for NYC? Wasn't the center of the storm supposed to be here by early afternoon?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Has this passed? The Bronx is quiet. Just drizzles.

• Yeah it's up in Connecticut/Upstate NY now.

It rained pretty hard up here and was pretty windy. Maybe a couple branches down, that's it.

I'm supremely annoyed that I'm losing business over this, but then again. Better safe than sorry.

I hope the MTA comes back up asap. If it's still down tomorrow people will be mad.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    batmon said:
    Has this passed? The Bronx is quiet. Just drizzles.
    saw the sun peek out of the clouds for a few about 20 minutes ago. no more rain over here in brooklyn. still windy though.

• The FDR is closed. :-/

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I'm supremely annoyed that I'm losing business over this, but then again. Better safe than sorry.

There's a good chance you won't lose any business from this. A few years back I closed for a week in August to do painting, reorganizing etc. My sales for the month ended up to be almost identical to the previous year.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    that wasnt bad at all

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    It sucks here in Williamsburg, VA!!!! No power for 24 hours so far, 2 trees down in my yard, and my car is under one of them. I'm sitting here in wifey's car charging my only connection to the world. Wish I had a battery-op record player. Could be worse though. House not damaged and family is A-OK.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I find it interesting how the focus of worry was NYC, and meanwhile Hampton Roads got BUTTHAMMERED. Upstate NY, I was outta power for 13 hrs, trees down, flooding everywhere. This was serious, but luckily, NOT for NYC somehow.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Philly's flooding bad.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    It sucks here in Williamsburg, VA!!!! No power for 24 hours so far, 2 trees down in my yard, and my car is under one of them. I'm sitting here in wifey's car charging my only connection to the world. Wish I had a battery-op record player. Could be worse though. House not damaged and family is A-OK.

damn man, sorry to hear about that, glad at least that everyone is OK - keep your head up!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Our office is on a flood plain and the front part got hit... wasn't too bad... could have been worse.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Richmond got hit hard. 75% without power, probably for a week or more. We lost power around 4pm Saturday and I don't think it will be up anytime soon. I saw at least 7 lines down on my run this morning and not a single utility truck. A lot of trees were ripped out of the ground. No damage to our house though. I am really glad we don't have any large trees on our property or next door.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I ended up sleeping through this. It was raining pretty good when I went to bed, over when I woke up. I drank like a champ though.

:lush:

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I was just congratulating myself for the fun rustic night I had last night reading by candlelight when I heard that I'm not expected to have power restored for three days. Something tells me the novelty is soon to wear off.

SoulOnIce said:
    bluesnag said:

damn man, sorry to hear about that, glad at least that everyone is OK - keep your head up!

Thanks dude. I'll find out what my car looks like tomorrow morning when the city comes to pull off the tree. No power for 48 hours but still having fun with it, candlelight dinner and shit. We have a gas stove at least. I hear you onetet, I'm trying to figure out when this shit will just get tired. Thank goodness it's been nice and cool at night though. Here's to power coming back soon to all of us without it!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    bluesnag said:

Thanks dude. I'll find out what my car looks like tomorrow morning when the city comes to pull off the tree. No power for 48 hours but still having fun with it, candlelight dinner and shit. We have a gas stove at least. I hear you onetet, I'm trying to figure out when this shit will just get tired. Thank goodness it's been nice and cool at night though. Here's to power coming back soon to all of us without it!

Hey Bluesnag,

I send my best wishes to you and other 'Strutters experiencing adversities in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

Surely, this was a stressful weekend In the midst of all Hurricane Irene's impacts on Central New Jersey; however, I must admit, I certainly enjoyed watching local news updates about the hurricane from Channel 12's grown and sexy Roxanne Evans:

If I were single, ;blap:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Finishing up day 6 with no power. Now officially the only house in our neighborhood with no power. I guess because it's an individual line to one house, so low priority. Just drove around looking for a power crew to bribe. No luck.

On a positive note, my car somehow survived the tree with only a dent in the hood and a dent in the roof.

I'm starting to lose my shit though. Only fucking house. That's some shit right there. Oh yeah, i also have a 16 month old son. So yeah. Fuck this shit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah my Sister in Rhode Island just got her power back on a couple of hours ago, it was out from last Saturday until today, Friday. I kind of feel like a jerk because she only lives 45 minutes away in Rhode Island and my parents live 45 minutes away down the shore in MA, and they just got their power back last night, but here in Boston in the city itself Irene was seriously a bad rainstorm at worst. few trees down here and there but by evening Sunday the sun was out in my neighborhood. I had to keep remembering days later that my parents still had no power and that I should call them and check in.

my relatives in VT were luckily pretty untouched although a house that was not in use on their property completely washed away down a hill. could easily have been their house, so they were pretty shook but relieved.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    My power was restored Wednesday night after 4 days without. Thing is, it turned out to be a 90-second fix to get 100 houses up and running. Momentarily giving BGE the benefit of doubt that they were actually working long hours earnestly based on well-reasoned triage over those 100 hours, I can only imagine how many homes would be powerless here, and for how long, if the storm they were initially expecting had hit here.

Finally got power this morning. Just in time.