Approaching hurricane (Northeastern corridor-related)

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
What's the feeling out there? My boss thinks we won't have work here at The New York Botanical Garden. Most of the projected paths suggest pretty extensive tree and power line damage. You dudes stocking up on anything? Got a hurricane day plan in place?

I'm going to cop some back-up fuel for my oil lamps, and probably hook up some Gosling's and ginger beer to make dark and stormys. That sounds pretty good right now.

Comments

• Food, booze, herbs, batteries for the GP3....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Food - No doubt
    Herb - Well stocked
    Booze - Thinking of adding a bottle of whiskey to the mix
    Batteries - Good call. Busting out the portable is the move.

I'm thinking getting well lubricated and playing some backgammon by lamp light while listening to records is a pretty good deal.

• DB_Cooper said:
    getting well lubricated

playing some backgammon

is that what the kids are calling it these days? hayoooo!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Gosling's and ginger beer to make Dark & Stormys.

My boss thinks we wont be open on Sunday due to the Subway.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    it could be really bad here on the Cape - the possible storm surge is pretty scary.
    Pulling my sailboat out of the water this afternoon, I've never had to do that before.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Banya, a fifth of vodka, boiled potatoes and a cold-smoked hallibut.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Pulling my sailboat out of the water this afternoon, I've never had to do that before.

when i worked in a boatyard the joke when a storm was coming was "don't forget to tie your boat down good and tight." yuk yuk yuk.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Same as what others stated. I'm in VA and doubt it will be too bad here. Bought candles (we lose power with even minor storms, so I am not hopeful) and batteries for the portable. I just plan to hunker down, drink and try and entertain our one year old while stuck in the house all day.

• We live very close to the water, so we just went out and stocked up on non-perishables, water, batteries etc. Going to take down the screen tent and everything else out behind the house tomorrow.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    probably hook up some Gosling's and ginger beer

I suggest Blue Valentine and The Notebook for dark and stormy nights.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    The kids are taking a trip with the grandparents starting Sunday, this better not slow down their departure!

• As a survivor of many a 'cane, I have some tips.

Whiskey as stated. Beer gets warm. Tequilla is good too.
    Smartphones are a godsend. You can hang out in your idling car and let it charge.
    Don't know how bad it will be, but I don't do storms anymore without a small
    generator and a window unit ac. You can get small ones pretty cheaply, enough
    to run some ac and the fridge.
    Stock up on charcoal and prepared meats like sausage.
    Stay safe.
    We're all trying not to snicker down here in LA.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    vinylstalker said:
    We're all trying not to snicker down here in LA.

NYC is snickering back. Because you live in LA.

• Meh. After paying ten bucks for a pack of smokes driving through this weekend, I have
    a greater appreciation for the swamp.
    Just a joke, hope everyone makes out dry.

Your route advice was solid, btw. Thanx.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Could someone in NY please take a ride up to Rye on LI Sound and board up the windows on my yacht? thank you

• The local news anchors here in Australia were really yukking it up this morning, portraying Americans as hysterical halfwits who panic buy and retreat to basements at the mere hint of heavy weather.

NOW YOU KNOW.

Seriously, good luck.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    The local news anchors here in Australia were really yukking it up this morning, portraying Americans as hysterical halfwits who panic buy and retreat to basements at the mere hint of heavy weather.

Right, because that whole Katrina thing was so hilarious and not at all something one should worry about happening again.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    buy this and you'll be ready for the apocalypse next year too: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11487214

pimlicosquirrel said:
    The local news anchors here in Australia were really yukking it up this morning, portraying Americans as hysterical halfwits who panic buy and retreat to basements at the mere hint of heavy weather.

NOW YOU KNOW.

Seriously but, good luck.

At it's worst potential this storm could be more destructive than the great hurricane of '38.

If that happens it could kill hundreds of people, cause many billions in damage and reshape parts of the New England coastline.

Hilarious.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    The local news anchors here in America were really yukking it up this morning, portraying Australian rappers as disconnected halfwits running around 20 years behind the rest of the world

• Horseleech said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

NOW YOU KNOW.

Seriously but, good luck.

At it's worst potential this storm could be more destructive than the great hurricane of '38.

If that happens it could kill hundreds of people, cause many billions in damage and reshape parts of the New England coastline.

Hilarious.

Sayin'

• When it looks inevitable and is 12 hours away, run your ac like hell, like at 60, and crank up your fridge to max.
    Buys you precious more hours of cool.
    KatrinaTip 102.

• brodybrody 8 Posts
    While I'd like to be able to claim that you can't accurately judge Australia based on it's rapperz and news anchors, I fear that for the most part that you can.

• having enjoyed a few hurricane parties myself over the last few years, if it is 2-3 days out and still looking like its going straight thru NYC, i would seriously consider getting the fuck out.

if you are in areas susceptible to storm surge, i would not risk it if it is more than a cat 2. if you need anymore convincing, do yourself a favor and look up what happened to gilchrist during ike.

i would be less worried about the hurricane-force winds and be more concerned about flooding possibility in NYC.

• Options
    You're all losers.

• brody said:
    While I'd like to be able to claim that you can't accurately judge Australia based on it's rapperz and news anchors, I fear that for the most part that you can.

SCANDALOUS

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Good luck to all!
    Having never been in a hurricane or a big storm I hope I'll be.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Just like every time before, this is nothing but a media frenzy created to have every housewife glued to their tv (they don't call it the "idiot window" for no reason) and to sell a shit load of expensive commercial time. The so called "News" will show citizens buying flashlights and bottled water and give them their 10 seconds of fame to stammer something like "we're all prepared, we have the windows taped up and set up a shelter in the attic blahblahblah..." by Saturday they will report that the hurricane has now been downgraded to a "tropical storm" and by Sunday, it might be slightly windy in NYC and perhaps there's a bit of rain.