Approaching hurricane (Northeastern corridor-related)

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Frank said:
    Just like every time before, this is nothing but a media frenzy created to have every housewife glued to their tv (they don't call it the "idiot window" for no reason) and to sell a shit load of expensive commercial time. The so called "News" will show citizens buying flashlights and bottled water and give them their 10 seconds of fame to stammer something like "we're all prepared, we have the windows taped up and set up a shelter in the attic blahblahblah..." by Saturday they will report that the hurricane has now been downgraded to a "tropical storm" and by Sunday, it might be slightly windy in NYC and perhaps there's a bit of rain.

I sure as shit hope that's what happens in VA. It is fucking ridiculous how much they're talking up about NYC maybe getting hit (I understand that this would be really unusual, and so newsworthy, like an East coast quake), while us folks near the VA coast and the NC coast (my parents) will potentially get hit much much harder. But who knows, maybe that shit will veer off to the east. I sure hope so.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm using this as an excuse to buy chips, which would normally be frowned upon in my household. "We'll need non-perishable food if we lose power for several days!" Might could slip some Wheat Thins into the cabinet with that approach too.

• I'm sitting in a hotel room in Virginia beach overlooking the water and what was left of the ECSC (that has been all but completely cancelled, including our show.) Will be frantically trying to fly out today. I'm sure NYC might get it but in the meantime VA Beach is in a state of evacuation and emergency. Shit is crazy here.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I'm using this as an excuse to buy chips, which would normally be frowned upon in my household. "We'll need non-perishable food if we lose power for several days!" Might could slip some Wheat Thins into the cabinet with that approach too.

How could you live in a household where chips are frowned upon? I've took you as a pants-wearer. That Compton photo looked so convincing. But now I'm not so sure.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    I'm sitting in a hotel room in Virginia beach overlooking the water and what was left of the ECSC (that has been all but completely cancelled, including our show.) Will be frantically trying to fly out today. I'm sure NYC might get it but in the meantime VA Beach is in a state of evacuation and emergency. Shit is crazy here.

Holler at us in Williamsburg, VA, if needed. We might get it too but not like VA beach.

HarveyCanal said:
    DB_Cooper said:

How could you live in a household where chips are frowned upon? I've took you as a pants-wearer. That Compton photo looked so convincing. But now I'm not so sure.

Don't be fooled???I can bring any damn thing home I please, but if it's unhealthy I have to hear about it. And I get tired of hearing about it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Good luck with that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I've took you as a pants-wearer. That Compton photo looked so convincing. But now I'm not so sure.

Don't be fooled???I go commando.

Fixed.

• Just like every time before, this is nothing but a media frenzy [/quote
    I hear you in theory, but as I eat my lunch 2 blocks away from a still shot to shit row of houses in Nola, it's hard to get behind that sentiment in reality.
    Hurricane Gustav. absolutely blasted baton rouge, and that was partly because of the lack of media attention. People thought if there was no hype, there was no danger. It's sad but true: most americans are lemmings who are reliant on the man to tell them what to do.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I was talking about the hype/panic/frenzy up here in NY...
    I think the media hyperbole actually can lead to some people not taking shit serious once there is real danger. I remember in '97 or '98 when there was a similar situation. Days of media frenzy and empty shelves in the bottled water and battery aisles. We had a party in the East Village the night the hurricane was scheduled to hit, nobody came out, the streets were deserted and windstill. There were countless other times when there was a media frenzy about a hurricane threatening NYC and nothing happened but a bit of wind and some rain.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I believe there is a lot of media hype but. Has anyone seen the FDR Drive and West Side Highway when there's 2 inches of rain? 6+ inches would mean those highways would flood out and the water would go inwards on the island a few avenues at least. I wouldn't wanna be near the shore in Manhattan. then again if you live in Manhattan I'm sure you're on an upper floor somewhere.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I can see Frank now, drunk off tequila on the roof of his building on Sunday all Lt. Dan style "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!!! YOU CALL THIS A STORM?!!! BLOW YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!"

• Run on batteries, flashlights and candles in the village. I had to go to like five different spots to find them.

• @ Chris, FDR is going to be totally washed out.

The power will go out. The trains will stop running. That much is certain.

Anything else is up to God/Nature/etc

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Feel free to join me R*****o... I picked up two cases of this

two bottles of this

and a stack of these from our favorite store yesterday...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    I can see Frank now, drunk off tequila on the roof of his building on Sunday all Lt. Dan style "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!!! YOU CALL THIS A STORM?!!! BLOW YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!"

• Frank said:
    I was talking about the hype/panic/frenzy up here in NY..

Understood. Apples and oranges.
    As you might imagine, this is a bit of a touchy subject for me.

Carry on.

• Frank, were you here for the blackout?

I really wish I had been stocked with batteries, non-perishables, etc then.

My store has flooded in regular-ass rainstorms.

It doesn't cost much to be prepared. Wife is 7 months pregnant. I'm not trying to take chances.

from a meteorological blog:

I again am hearing that at least some in NYC and nearby areas are not taking this seriously. I can assure you that with the forecast heavy rains there WILL be flooding, both river and coastal, and there will be geographically widespread power failures.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Run on batteries, flashlights and candles in the village. I had to go to like five different spots to find them.

When can we expect your video?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Frank, were you here for the blackout?

I really wish I had been stocked with batteries, non-perishables, etc then.

My store has flooded in regular-ass rainstorms.

It doesn't cost much to be prepared. Wife is 7 months pregnant. I'm not trying to take chances.

from a meteorological blog:

I again am hearing that at least some in NYC and nearby areas are not taking this seriously. I can assure you that with the forecast heavy rains there WILL be flooding, both river and coastal, and there will be geographically widespread power failures.

No... I wasn't here for the blackout. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your store.

I always have some stock of non-perishables and batteries. A habit I learned living in Conakry where there are about 12 hours of electricity every second or third night and 170 inches of rain per year (all coming down during 5 months of rainy season -NYC has 41" per year)

• Yeah, I didn't have any of that shit until this morning.

Some places were out of power for a week or more after the blackout... I could see that being the case here, if things go according to forecast.

• bluesnag said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    I'm sitting in a hotel room in Virginia beach overlooking the water and what was left of the ECSC (that has been all but completely cancelled, including our show.) Will be frantically trying to fly out today. I'm sure NYC might get it but in the meantime VA Beach is in a state of evacuation and emergency. Shit is crazy here.

Holler at us in Williamsburg, VA, if needed. We might get it too but not like VA beach.

Thanks man. Very kind. Keeping an eye on the sky and hoping Delta gets us the f out in time. Original flight was for tomorrow. Wind is starting to pick up.

• NYC is shutting down public transportation tomorrow at 12 noon.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Frank said:

i'd brave a hurricane on a makeshift rowboat to have another taste of that

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    NYC is shutting down public transportation tomorrow at 12 noon.

Do they have any kind of evacuation plan?

Busing homeless people out to Westchester seems like a good idea.

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Do they have any kind of evacuation plan?

Busing homeless people out to Westchester seems like a good idea.

NYC evacuation zone map

Fortunately, I'm two blocks from the edge of the B zone. I ain't going nowhere, folls!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

This is some shit.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Our neighborhood is in an evacuation zone, and we have the water processing plant 3 blocks from us. It could be real bad. Hello Philadelphia...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• you guys should try taiwan.
    here are two pics from my house in 2009...