Quitting Facebook

124»

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    after i cancelled my facebook account i experienced people with paranoia, wondering why i would delete them as a friend. i found that funny. get a grip!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what is an Epiphanator

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    RAJ said:
    You would not believe the backlash from friends and family for quitting Facebook. It's a web site people, get over it.

give it a couple of years, and quitting facebook shall be seen as suicide

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    bassie said:
    what is an Epiphanator

it's explained in the article but the author coins that word to define in some way what facebook lacks - a structure, a beginning and an end or as she puts it:

Social media has no understanding of anything aside from the connections between individuals and the ceaseless flow of time: No beginnings, and no endings. These disparate threads of human existence alternately fascinate and horrify that part of the media world that grew up on topic sentences and strong conclusions. This world of old media is like a giant machine that organizes time into stories. I call it the Epiphanator, and it has always known the value of a meaningful conclusion.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Panta rhei

The story has an interesting angle and is a good read. The difference between the old media output and the new one is that the latter flows.
    That said, the streams are consistent of small stories with a beginning and an end (a post on Facebook). So it's all about perception here.

My worries, if any, are about the decline of serious journalism, not about the epiphanator.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I guess I could have posted this in the phone hacking thread, too.

The Future of News
    It was the feature topic in The Economist a couple of weeks ago.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Google+ iPhone app available in App store http://bit.ly/ouqXV9

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Been hiding every single friend from my feed that gets tagged in a shoe ad.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    billbradley said:
    Google+ iPhone app available in App store http://bit.ly/ouqXV9

FINALLY, thanks for the heads up bill

b/w

thanks for the add raj

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    just joined google+, trying to work out how to use it since I haven't been on a social network since I lost my myspace password a few years back when i cahnged my email. i think i managed to post up that unreleased funk track youtube clip.....

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I just had a good reason to want to quit facebook, pop up the other day.

Someone from my teenage years who I am not too fond of added me a while back and I put them on ignore and forgot about it.

Yesterday I got a message from the saying

???if you don???t want to be friends with me that???s fine, but can you please press no, because I am sick of reading all of your shit???

I was quite shocked and embarrassed , because I thought that if you had someone on ignore, your things wouldn???t come up on their feed.

This caused me to tighten up all my settings and delete a whole bunch of people just in case.

Now this raises a further question, now I have deleted all these people, will they come up in the ???You might know this person??? feed?

FB is great for networking and keeping track of things, but I???m less inclined to used it now to share my thoughts and interests.

Maybe google+ is the answer?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Relapse!

Google needs to launch G+ already. Other than Tom from Myspace's interesting blog posts... shit is a ghost town.

• RAJ said:
    shit is a ghost town

Ha! Same here...I have 2x times now googled "Google+ Failure" and finally found a blog article that agreed with this on Forbes. I was shocked how many in the comments were blasting the author and all salty defending that POS. Wave-R.

• been off facebook for about a month...(3rd break this year)

when you hit ignore and dont cancel the friend request fully they wont see your status updates, but they will see when you add other people as a friend, like a page, etc. its not really saying i want to ignore this person but saying ignore this request for now until i come back to it.