Quitting Facebook

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Jamal said:

true
    What has it done for you?
    exciting age? non digital aka life is much more exciting. digital only replicates what is non digital..whaaaat?

b/w

im not. old soul so they say..

to each his own.

one
    Yes, i do think taking part in the transition from the industrial age to the information age is exciting. Doing things in excess, whatever it may be, is not. Some people are boring, with or without Facebook.
    Maybe you can comment on these questions...
    Do you think we would be world wide conference-calling about sandals, ice cream trucks, beergardens and 45's w/o internet?
    Do you think people with Facebook accounts don't talk to people on the street or are alienated from real life?
    Do you think people on this board think Facebook, Twitter or Soulstrut is more exciting than real life?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    leon said:
    Jamal said:

true
    exciting age? non digital aka life is much more exciting. digital only replicates what is non digital..whaaaat?

b/w

im not. old soul so they say..

to each his own.

one
    Yes, i do think taking part in the transition from the industrial age to the information age is exciting. Doing things in excess, whatever it may be, is not. Some people are boring, with or without Facebook.
    Maybe you can comment on these questions...
    Do you think we would be world wide conference-calling about sandals, ice cream trucks, beergardens and 45's w/o internet?
    Do you think people with Facebook accounts don't talk to people on the street or are alienated from real life?
    Do you think people on this board think Facebook, Twitter or Soulstrut is more exciting than real life?

your anwering questions with questions..

You said I should be happy I live in exciting times and so on..so what you did there was tell me I should be happy with EVERYTHING that comes out of this digital era....and im not.
    So if you stuck to what i really said you would have understood me ..its simple.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn yall are some grouchy bitches...
    im hardly all teched out. never got near a twitter or iphone blackberry and all that. but fb definitely is a pretty decent thing in my opinion. whats the hassle of having an account? you dont have to read any of that shit if you dont want to. like the bat said, you can drop lines to long gone girlies and see what the deal is...worse comes to worse it lets someone know you were thinking about them...little bit more casual and less creepy than a letter or email etc. You can check up on people a lil bit before you got to get up with them. its cool. i dont post a lot. once in a while you post a song youre feeling and some out of the blue people will be like "yeah i was feeling that" and it will remind you of people you used to vibe with...or you might say, "damn im surprised that they were into that kindof thing"
    im in a town of 700 people in italy right now, kind of drunk off my ass, about to retire for the night...i dont get out here too much anmore, but all my people out here are on facebook for sure. makes the world a little smaller, helps you keep in touch, see whos single.

make things work for you, grouchy bitches of soulstrut.
    love ya,peace!

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    RAJ said:
    Soul Strut is starting to own me.

Way more of my time spent here than on Facebook...

:shocked:

yep, also i only do all this stuff from work, at home 98% of my time i stay analog or outside.

Really Livin :beerbang: :feelin_it: !

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    damn yall are some grouchy bitches...
    im hardly all teched out. never got near a twitter or iphone blackberry and all that. but fb definitely is a pretty decent thing in my opinion. whats the hassle of having an account? you dont have to read any of that shit if you dont want to. like the bat said, you can drop lines to long gone girlies and see what the deal is...worse comes to worse it lets someone know you were thinking about them...little bit more casual and less creepy than a letter or email etc. You can check up on people a lil bit before you got to get up with them. its cool. i dont post a lot. once in a while you post a song youre feeling and some out of the blue people will be like "yeah i was feeling that" and it will remind you of people you used to vibe with...or you might say, "damn im surprised that they were into that kindof thing"
    im in a town of 700 people in italy right now, kind of drunk off my ass, about to retire for the night...i dont get out here too much anmore, but all my people out here are on facebook for sure. makes the world a little smaller, helps you keep in touch, see whos single.

make things work for you, grouchy bitches of soulstrut.
    love ya,peace!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

non digital aka life is much more exciting.

Calm down, man. It's a means to an end, not the end itself.

It can be a time-suck, but that is the only negative effect I see.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I liked this thread!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not a time suck for me.
    My sister just sent me an angry email saying I never check her facebook page and why don't I ever respond to the vids (of politicians explaining the budgetary process) she posted.

I joined facebook so I could annoy people with my business and promotions, not so I could be friends with people, and I pay no attention to other peoples business and promotions.

It was nice on my bday to hear from a bunch of people I wouldn't hear from otherwise, but some of them I don't know. One guy wished me happy bday. I didn't know who he was. Checked his page, he is a goalie for a French football club! And I am his friend! I am friends with a pro-athlete who wishes me happy birthday.

When I got on, a year and a half ago, I looked for school chums. I quickly realized that the ones I cared about I am still in touch with. Except one I didn't find, but who found me a few weeks ago.

I contacted the dozen or so people with my name. Only one friended me. Turns out he just moved to my town and is the worst folk singer I have ever heard.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i didn't like strangers coming up to me and saying things like "hey, you know blahblah right? yeah! i saw you on facebook in a photo at that party". stuff like that. or people that you don't know but see around the place that add you and then feel that next time they see you it validates the fact that they can approach you. the world is too small for facebook!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It was nice on my bday to hear from a bunch of people I wouldn't hear from otherwise, but some of them I don't know. One guy wished me happy bday. I didn't know who he was. Checked his page, he is a goalie for a French football club! And I am his friend! I am friends with a pro-athlete who wishes me happy birthday.

I still have unanswered friend requests from about 20-30 people I've never met in person. Not that I'm against adding strangers, but sometimes it takes more than common friends to get me to add you.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    from todays news:

"A young Egyptian man named his firstborn little girl Facebook Jamal Ibrahim to express his gratitude to the social network for its role in ousting Hosni Mubarak from power. The freedom to give your baby crazy names is, after all, a cornerstone of democracy." [TechCrunch via Gawker]

• jammy said:
    i didn't like strangers coming up to me and saying things like "hey, you know blahblah right? yeah! i saw you on facebook in a photo at that party". stuff like that. or people that you don't know but see around the place that add you and then feel that next time they see you it validates the fact that they can approach you. the world is too small for facebook!

Facebook: Too much of an ice-braeker! Haha why don't you want to talk to people at parties??

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Anybody ever do or are considering doing this?

The only reason I'd even contemplate joining Facebook would be so that I could quit.
    Not that bored yet, but give me time.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

non digital aka life is much more exciting.

Calm down, man. It's a means to an end, not the end itself.

It can be a time-suck, but that is the only negative effect I see.

im very calm, just talking here..
    its all good bruv, everybody is free to do what they want to do.

I just hate the image of so many people outside communicating and neglecting whats in front of them, dudes I know who talk to you and blackberrying/checking facebook and such at the same time..
    for many its the end not the means..

maybe its because im kinda stuck (hospital and such) with using the internet (although i dont use any of those means except some sites on the web) that i cant imagine somebody being healthy and having the liberty to live life freely, and not using that freedom to the fullest.. i understand it, off course, but still im kinda pessimistic on the way it is going..
    like i said those that overuse it and forget the "real" thing..
    they already found some changes in the brain of the new generation..overstimulation and lot of em cant even cope anymore without digitalism..

but on the other hand i dont give a fuck , just let me do me

im with jamal on people checking that shit on there little happy phones. i still dont even like being out with someone who starts having a long ass conversation on their cells. i will seriously just walk off and do my own damn thing too. dudes look dumb as shit when they are walking quietly next to a girl who is chatting on her phone. couples look fucking retarded when both of them are on phones. i would be out within minutes if some girl was checking facebook while i was spending time with her. or constantly on the phone. fucking socio-dependent, ill-manered or bored to death with present company. either way, peace. check your facebook at home, you look like a child

pass is given who need to be networking for a living. do what work or you, good people

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jamal said:
    spend more time communiicating with people on the train, in the cab, on the street, the vendor, the chick with the fat ass,little kids, the old confused woman..

Dude, the last thing in the world I want to do is chat it up with strangers on the train, in the cab, on the street, etc. It is rarely a rewarding experience on the trains and streets I frequent.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jamal said:
    spend more time communiicating with people on the train, in the cab, on the street, the vendor, the chick with the fat ass,little kids, the old confused woman..

Dude, the last thing in the world I want to do is chat it up with strangers on the train, in the cab, on the street, etc. It is rarely a rewarding experience on the trains and streets I frequent.

hahah is it that bad?

Jamal said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jamal said:

hahah is it that bad?

Yes. Yes, it is. There are dudes who do go around chatting up strangers around these parts, but they're mainly homeless and/or mentally unbalanced. The New York subway is not the place to make new friends.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Facebook, Twitter, etc...are just mediums. The issue is how you use. Its like choosing to use a pencil to write a nice letter or stab someone. Its just a medium. With all that said I'm all for increasing productivity and if blocking Facebook out of your life helps you with that RAJ, I say go for it. Whatever helps you post on SS more.

I had to block DB_Cooper from my time line otherwise I'd be liking everything he did. (*hair swoon*)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I use it to promote my parties and as a personal blog-ish tool with music clips, pictures and political and personal rants. Don't use my real name, don't post my face and un-tag all photos of me that others have put up. I have hidden the feed of two friends because they posted 100+ annoying pseudo-philosophical terds a day...who knew they were so cheesy?! I didn't, until FB showed me!
    And oh yes, if you ask to be friends on FB but can't even manage a smile or hello in real life, you're getting kicked off.
    I like Batmon's rule of keeping it to a 100 friends. I'm under 200 and am trying to purge regularly....but new ones keep popping up!!!
    Complaining about it like one has no control over its use, etc. is silly. You run your life, not technology!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm all for people being pro-Facebook and living a long healthy life on there.

After 3 years, I found the cons far outweighing the pros and for the love of god I was on it almost as long as I was awake. I'd go on vacation and be on it and shit.

I'm a web designer | developer by trade, so I'm on the computer atleast 10 hours / day and Facebook was not healthy for me.

I don't think I will be back either. I have a dummy account to maintain the pages and that's it.

I have been toying around with Google + and REALLY like it.

The ease of Circles and being able to communicate with certain sectors separately is a huge + (no pun intended). It will be my new time waster other than the Strut and I will probably hate it in 3 years, but it's a nice change.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jamal said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jamal said:

hahah is it that bad?

Yes. Yes, it is. There are dudes who do go around chatting up strangers around these parts, but they're mainly homeless and/or mentally unbalanced. The New York subway is not the place to make new friends.

i made liftetime friends in way more 'dangerous' places than ny .. but ny is more unpersonal especially the subway..youre fucking right about that..

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I'm all for people being pro-Facebook and living a long healthy life on there.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    I took myself off about a month ago. Being a high school counselor, I would get a lot of 18/19 year old girls that graduated from our high school asking to be my friend. My rule is once a student graduates, I'm ok with approving their friend request. However, it just got over the top with requests after our high school graduation, and I felt like I was starting to look increasingly like the 34 year old creepy older guy with lots of young girls/ex-students as my friends. So I took myself off, much to my wives approval as well!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Duderonomy said:

[super scientifical] In that sense, Facebook is the organized religion of the modern era. Just as the idea of an omnipotent guiding hand overseeing what appears to be chaos and promising life after death was comforting to generations before us, so too does the constant reiteration of existence through Facebook tagging and status updating help to assuage our tacit understanding that we will someday die. We cannot brook life without the promise of an enduring existence post-mortem. Be that heaven or a Facebook page that assures those we leave behind that we did, indeed, lead a bitching life with lots of good times and people that thought we were cool. [/super scientifical]

b/w

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

[super scientifical] In that sense, Facebook is the organized religion of the modern era. Just as the idea of an omnipotent guiding hand overseeing what appears to be chaos and promising life after death was comforting to generations before us, so too does the constant reiteration of existence through Facebook tagging and status updating help to assuage our tacit understanding that we will someday die. We cannot brook life without the promise of an enduring existence post-mortem. Be that heaven or a Facebook page that assures those we leave behind that we did, indeed, lead a bitching life with lots of good times and people that thought we were cool. [/super scientifical]

OWN-HAIR FANPAGE APOLOGIST ^^^

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    You would not believe the backlash from friends and family for quitting Facebook. It's a web site people, get over it.