Quitting Facebook

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Anybody ever do or are considering doing this? It's way too much of a time waster and other than using it as a promotional tool, I'm seriously over it. Might try Google Plus when it's live... but Facebook is starting to own me.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    you need a Google+ invite?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    billbradley said:

Plaese.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I deleted mine one time. Some friends thought i was suicidal because of the deletion(wtf), definitely did not re-friend them when i got another fb account.

It feels great. Make sure to remove the app from your phone or the deletion will revert to active status.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    RAJ said:
    billbradley said:

Plaese.

PM sent

• RAJ said:
    Soul Strut is starting to own me.

Way more of my time spent here than on Facebook...

:shocked:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I like Google +'s idea of circles.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i've never joined facebook. what is google plus?

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i did have to remove myself from friendster back in the day. i never did myspace and yes, facebook owns my arse. i've got an addictive personality and tend to over do everything i'm interested in.

peace, stein. . .:)

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I've managed to find old friends and co-workers there, and it's nice once in awhile to post something that has nothing to do with music. Then again, I'm also assuming people care about what I post.

I have thought about dropping it. Haven't quite caught on with Google+ yet, but I am there.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Google+ has me thinking of getting off facebook for good. The latest changes to the fb chat service has me smacking my face...

A couple of great things about google+ are

Video chat (Hangout) is pretty great. You can video chat with up to 10 people while watching snyc'd youtube vidz or whatever.

Photos & Vidz - Unlimited photo uploads. Except photos larger than 2,048 by 2,048 pixels will automatically be resized when uploading. Unlimited video uploads (up to 15 minutes per video, up to 1080p).

The best part of all is the control over your info and what you share with who. Plus, Data liberation. Google gives you the option to take everything with you if you want.

Only qualms are it's a bit of a learning curb to figure out everything. And not enough people I know use it to make it fully usable.

But I'd love to drop fb right now and stick to google+

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I've deleted the facebook app from my phone to remove the distraction. my laptop is so slow that everything is a chore on it - so weaning myself off that way. I've realised i can survive without knowing what all my friends are doing everyday, it's liberating!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I got the Google+ invite last week and checked it out for like 5 mins.

what's the deal with it? it didn't really grab me.

• Facebook is good for info on events and parties. I wish I could grab that from it and throw everything else away. Google + seems kinda hard to get into.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I don't quite understand Google + (granted, I haven't even looked at it), but won't you dudes be starting a "Quitting Google +" thread a year or two from now and talking about sticking with whatever the new-name-but-same social networking platform is introduced at that time?

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    Facebook made me realize how anti-social i am.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I've taken mine down a few times. Funny because I don't miss it if its not there. Lately I've had more promotion related activites to cover so I'm back on, but my long time away (a couple of months the last time) really weened me off the mindset of over indulging in it.

• The cool thing about *not* having circles on Facebook is finding out someone you didn't think would commonly care about _______ piping up to comment.

Sure, for you "dads" you can make a circle of your "dad" friends who wanna talk about disciplining your offspring without getting comments from people who wouldn't know.

Generally though, I'm just adding the same people on Google plus that already have a Facebook, and sharing less with all of them.

I know... boundaries. But I don't think you're really networking at all if you're always "group inboxing" certain people = how I'm seeing Google + right now.

p.s. never liked Twitter

• RAJ said:
    It's way too much of a time waster

I'm sure you'll waste far less time on Google +

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    The main thing I've gotten from Facebook is that most of my "friends" are terribly unfunny and annoying. All I do these days is read the news feed every few days. This google+ talk already has me feeling old. I consider myself to be fairly tech savvy, but it just don't care enough about other people's lives to learn a new platform. All the social media stuff is too much for me these days. Yes, I sound like get of my lawn, but I just don't see the appeal of knowing every little detail about people.

My coworkers have befriended me and they are older and it's bizarre. I don't need to e friends with them. We work together. I also don't need to see vacation photos of them in bathing suits. Yikes.

• Controller_7 said:
    My coworkers have befriended me and they are older and it's bizarre. I don't need to be friends with them. We work together. I also don't need to see vacation photos of them in bathing suits. Yikes.

I only added former co-workers I *don't* see daily. My current co-workers find it rude. Not adding them is way easier than explaining why you deleted them later.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Yeah, it is awkward. I can't say no. I can't delete them. I'm baffled why they even thought it was a good idea in the first place.

• blakatom said:
    Facebook made me realize how anti-social i am.

The main thing with google+ for me has been the hangout feature. Most of my direct co-workers are on it and it really makes things easier. IMO, it's way ahead of even skype.

Here is an example (While not the best at how well it really does work, it gives you an idea).

*joke*When is the first Strut youtube soundclash?*/joke*

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Herm said:
    I don't quite understand Google + (granted, I haven't even looked at it), but won't you dudes be starting a "Quitting Google +" thread a year or two from now and talking about sticking with whatever the new-name-but-same social networking platform is introduced at that time?

bingo.

ill hang with fb until something knocks it out.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I quit facebook and instantly my life was better.

I recently figured out how to make it usable though (for me). I use a fake name. I hide all posts and updates from everyone so I never see them, and put myself permanently offline. I keep it a private page. Don't post any pictures of myself, and use it as basically another email address that basically rss updates my blog and updates my band page automatically.

Now it's actually been somewhat helpful to keep in contact with the people I've been meeting traveling. As I can easily delete these temporary friends.

Cheers,

- spidey

Controller_7 said:
    Yeah, it is awkward. I can't say no. I can't delete them. I'm baffled why they even thought it was a good idea in the first place.

This is one of the best things about google+

Circles allows you to put the people you only accepted on fb to not be awkward to and didn't want to offend or be awkward around in real life, can now be all put into a circle that you simply never post anything to, but on their end they believe that you added them.

Quick vid to show the basic functionality.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    It's funny, a couple weeks ago I wondered why Facebook didn't have that same function that circles offers. I mean, they *kinda* do with the whole "hide this from/make this visible to" option, but the circles thing looks much more efficient. I wonder why Facebook never did it or doesn't just create a similar option now? Can Google copyright an idea like that?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Facebook could add something like that but who the hell would go through the trouble of classifying all of their friends now? That's why Google+'s Circles feature is seen as a big thing because you're going to have to re-add/import all your friends anyway. That plus it's debatable as to whether most people even give a shit about online privacy.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I'm only on fb but I think the issue I have is with other people's compulsion to post stuff that really, no-one else could possibly be interested in. Maybe it's boredom on their behalf but to me, they are devaluing their own brands with every post. Rathen than dump them, I stick them on "Hide". I doubt I'll miss anything of note.

I suspect whatever Social Network one ends up on, this facet of human nature will rear its head. I suspect they are posting for posting's sake, so as not to appear "Boring." I don't post there that much - I am afraid, with the 3 "Jaws" barrels of Wife, Kids and Mortgage, I am not going anywhere soon and cannot regale all and sundry with tales of my one man trips up the Amazon with only a spork and 140 days worth of mp3s.

"Boring" it is, then.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Never even started with facebook. I'm happy with the friends I got in real life and I found out that it's possible to keep contact with absent people via email or telephone.

Moving your social network activity to the one company that also hosts your e-mail adress and collects your internet search activities doesn't seem the wisest idea to me but probably I'm just paranoid.