SBTRKT (Anybody into this?)

bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central

Any body else feeling this SBTRKT album (especially the Brit soul-strutters)? Most cohesive electronic/post dubstep/funky (whatever to describe it) album I have heard in a long time...

Comments

• Yes, definitely feeling this. The album has some great moments, but what surprised me most was how different it sounds to the singles he has been putting out recently. 'Sanctuary' is on heavy rotation for me.

• bsuwolf said:
    Any body else feeling this SBTRKT album (especially the Brit soul-strutters)? Most cohesive electronic/post dubstep/funky (whatever to describe it) album I have heard in a long time...

I always get the impression that the reason why the SBTRKT project has been such a success and why so many people have seen it as a great dubstep/whatever album is that Aaron Jerome had previously written song songs and he brings that discipline to this project. That is, it's not just a bunch of ideas or nice beats stretched out for 5 or 6 minutes at a time but, as you say, cohesive songs.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    neil_something said:
    bsuwolf said:

I always get the impression that the reason why the SBTRKT project has been such a success and why so many people have seen it as a great dubstep/whatever album is that Aaron Jerome had previously written song songs and he brings that discipline to this project. That is, it's not just a bunch of ideas or nice beats stretched out for 5 or 6 minutes at a time but, as you say, cohesive songs.

I like what i've heard so far. I didnt know that Aaron Jerome was involved. Nice

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    great album!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Have been considering this and the Zomby album. While people on here are saying that it's the structure that makes the SBTRKT LP work, from what I gather Zomby's Dedication is charming because of the lack of structure.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I like it. Haven't really given it enough time yet to really know the songs but once I got past my surprise at how pop orientated it was (in no way meant as a diss) really enjoyed it.

Duder, if I had to buy only one, I would personally go for Zomby. But that's mainly because it's one of my favourite releases of the year so far rather than a snub at SBTRKT. Kind of apples and oranges really though.

• get the new little dragon album instead of either.

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
    Can anyone tell me other things that Aaron Jerome has released?

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Didn't these dudes do a remix of some chick's track feat Drake that was awesome?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    bsuwolf said:

Latin re-edits, and some other some house-y stuff I thought?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    He put out a full length & more on BBE. file under NuJazz.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I went with the imported one-sided white label a couple years ago:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    good stuff. any recommended jessie ware tracks beyond this one and the track with joker?

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    Didn't these dudes do a remix of some chick's track feat Drake that was awesome?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    bsuwolf said:

This is the main tune of his that I know

• happy to see aaron smashing it, never would of guessed he had a crossover on his hands!

Bump due to me having had this on heavy rotation the last week and enjoying it more and more with each listen Sanctuary is one of the best tracks I've heard all year alone (that and Trials Of The Past are an insane 1-2 in the middle of the album) and the rest ain't too shabby either.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    ^ agree.. hadn't been on my radar until I found this thread. Classy stuff..

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Saw them live this friday night, really good. Only caught half the set but great vocals, and a lot of live playing/processing. I'll check the album out on the strength of that.

The Zomby album is great too - it has that Donuts-type feel where a lot of the songs are really short, but they flow into each other really well. Listening to separate tracks doesn't really do it justice.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    neil_something said:
    get the new little dragon album instead of either.

Based on hearing a few tracks and seeing them live, I'd say I don't get it. Always willing to change my mind, but can't really get with her vocals. And the live show bored me to tears.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Ha - i just recently posted wildfire in the 'last track you listened to on repeat' thread. Feeling the album as a whole. Seems more and more people are picking up on this record. i also like the Pharaohs track, esp. in the context of the rest of the songs.

Mjukis said:
    neil_something said:

Based on hearing a few tracks and seeing them live, I'd say I don't get it. Always willing to change my mind, but can't really get with her vocals. And the live show bored me to tears.

Yeah I can't say I've been too impressed by what I've heard of it so far. I noticed it's on Spotify so I'll sit down and give it a proper listen sometime but her vocals were not something that I instantly warmed to.

• heard he's working on something with drake! (?!?!)

• Junior said:
    Mjukis said:
    neil_something said:

Yeah I can't say I've been too impressed by what I've heard of it so far. I noticed it's on Spotify so I'll sit down and give it a proper listen sometime but her vocals were not something that I instantly warmed to.

I ride for all three of their albums. And they've been good live when I saw them.

But if you're not feeling Yukimi's vocals, it's probably not going to be for you.

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    heard he's working on something with drake! (?!?!)

emo-step?

neil_something said:
    Junior said:
    Mjukis said:
    neil_something said:

I ride for all three of their albums. And they've been good live when I saw them.

But if you're not feeling Yukimi's vocals, it's probably not going to be for you.

I'll give it another go anyway - part of the curse of the digital age is that it's all too easy to skip through and dismiss something on first listen without giving it the time and attention you would have in the days of physical products.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    heard he's working on something with drake! (?!?!)

SBTRKT looking for that UGK cosign?