Thrust - SEALED

Comments

• Tough call. Might be a good idea to hang back until the pieces settle. If another half dozen copies get put up next month, or this guy gets greedy and puts em up every week, that could conceivably suck.

• What I notice is after a reissue comes out there's a lot of people scrambling for an original copy, then things settle down 6 months or a year later.

Yes, that's true, but I also believe that after a bit, the price of the record goes back up if it's truely rare and really a smash. I do think a lot of records get hyped solely because of rareness, but things like the invaders, for which there has been a reish, is still around the $700 mark. That's a lot of change, but it's rare, the reish is no longer readily available, and it's that record...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    When you guys edit posts like that it makes me think I'm going crazy for a minute. I'm like, "I swear it said something else a minute ago! Did I just imagine it?"

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Invaders

Speaking of the Invaders, doesn't that scan look a bit too clean? Not the cover, but the record. I'm a bit suspicous when there's an exact reissue out there. Not that I'd bid on it, especially against highplainsdrifting... that guy sniped a Stark Reality auction a while back that I thought was in the bag.

DJ Ferrari

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Invaders

Speaking of the Invaders, doesn't that scan look a bit too clean? Not the cover, but the record. I'm a bit suspicous when there's an exact reissue out there. Not that I'd bid on it, especially against highplainsdrifting... that guy sniped a Stark Reality auction a while back that I thought was in the bag.

DJ Ferrari

How exact is the reish? Does it have the raised label as seen in the ebay pic? I haven't seen too many reissues with this type of label.

In regards to reissues appreciating/depreciating the value of OG's, personally I'd only actively seek out an OG if the reissue had fantastic music but absolutely horrible sound quality...case in point: the new Handshake Records "Revelation" (1982) vinyl reissue (Modern Soul!).

The only issue I have with the excellent sounding "Thrust" reissue is the new cover artwork...as someone else said in this thread, I dig generic sunsets.

SG

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    How exact is the reish? Does it have the raised label as seen in the ebay pic? I haven't seen too many reissues with this type of label.

yes. I just looked at mine. the invaders reish is spooky. Maybe the most real looking reish I've seen. In 10 years I dunno if people will be able to tell the diff...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I think re-issues of LPs generally end up depressing the value of the OGs. There are a lot of record collectors out there who have no problem with picking up the really expensive LPs on re-issue and going after originals of less expensive items.

On the other hand, I think compilations, especially of 45s, tends to drive UP the price of the originals, because now a whole bunch of people have heard one song of something, and want the original.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think re-issues of LPs generally end up depressing the value of the OGs. There are a lot of record collectors out there who have no problem with picking up the really expensive LPs on re-issue and going after originals of less expensive items.

Yes, but these are not the guys that are putting down $1000+ to begin with.

Anybody that is that dedicated to owning the original object doesn't care whether or not a reissue exists, so I just don't buy the argument that reissues push the price down because now ballers can get essentially the same record for only $10.

What I do buy is the argument that reissues can push the price down by making the music and the concommitant knowledge that "Know what? This sh!t really isn't that great" more widely available.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

What I do buy is the argument that reissues can push the price down by making the music and the concommitant knowledge that "Know what? This sh!t really isn't that great" more widely available.

case in point: RAMP.

I think that's more a case of the electronic marketplace making it apparent that it's not a rare record, though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Well, I like RAMP and I think it's pretty accurately priced now. You got what, $65 for a VG+ copy?

If anything, the $150 or whatever it used to get was totally inflated.

Anybody that is that dedicated to owning the original object doesn't care whether or not a reissue exists, so I just don't buy the argument that reissues push the price down because now ballers can get essentially the same record for only $10.

On the other hand, are we just talking about $500+ records though? I mean I have a re-issue of Roy Ayers' Coffy OST. I still want an OG, but it's gone way down on my want list because I have the re-issue, and I'm someone who's willing to spend a good price on a good record.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    does anyone know how many copies were pressed of Mcneal and Niles?

On the other hand, are we just talking about $500+ records though? I mean I have a re-issue of Roy Ayers' Coffy OST. I still want an OG, but it's gone way down on my want list because I have the re-issue, and I'm someone who's willing to spend a good price on a good record.

Well, I thought that's what this discussion was about.

I'll definitely agree with you that a reissue can push down the price of more common (i.e. within the reach of little dudes) records.

Well, I thought that's what this discussion was about.

I'll definitely agree with you that a reissue can push down the price of more common (i.e. within the reach of little dudes) records.

It seemed like the discussin had floated off a little about re-issues in general, so that was what my comment was on. Not specifically BIG BALLER LPs like this one. Little misunderstanding.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    $515!!!!! Way less than I thought!!! WTF??

Another case of a reish depreciating the value of a record. Thrill is gone.

when did it sell for more??? just curious. is there proof this record has sold for more than that before? or is everyone just assuming here.

as far as i'm concerned, that is the first time i've ever seen it sell so that is the value. that said, i know a couple of dudes who straight up didn't see it that would have had $600 on it.

• Yes, that's true, but I also believe that after a bit, the price of the record goes back up if it's truely rare and really a smash.

It really depends on the music genre.

With rock records - even supreme re-issues with non-issued bonus tracks will raise in price _and_ originals DON`T loose money.

Best example is MYSTIC SIVA - even as a 1st class 180g RE does exist (a friend of mine did it and it sold very well - both on vinyl and cd) the original in VG+ shape steadily goes for 3000+

With funky/groove/brasil/jazz stuff you really learn from scratch to cry these days.

And I don??t think of vinyl as "black gold" any longer !

Peace
    Seb

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

Well, I like RAMP and I think it's pretty accurately priced now. You got what, $65 for a VG+ copy?

If anything, the $150 or whatever it used to get was totally inflated.

It's hard to say if the reissue has depressed the value but that definatly used to be a 100 dollar record. Now it goes for about 65. In fact the 65 I put as my reserve was the average price of the ramps I had been keeping track of over the last two years on ebay. ebay is weird though it kills the prices of some records and boosts the price of others.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Terbeauxsity

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

LOVE

Yeah, a lot of folls were mad about the Larry T thing. But it's a beautiful record and when the hype is gone I would still recommend it over hundreds of other similarly-priced records.

• Shut up. For real?

• man you guys gotta stop editing your posts every 30 seconds. I feel like I'm losing my mind here.

man you guys gotta stop editing your posts every 30 seconds. I feel like I'm losing my mind here.

Is this Thrust record any good?

Damn,, like that huh?

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Damn,, like that huh?

detroit really is the